Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sandoz posted:

personally I do not give a single poo poo about how fast or slow someone is going on the highway, as long as they GO A CONSISTENT SPEED YOUR CRUISE CONTROL EXISTS FOR A REASON ARGHGHG

This. loving this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
are we due for a who uses cruise control debate already?

hell yeah

i use cruise almost exclusively. gently caress you, gas pedal

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The feature I’m most looking forward to in a new car is adaptive cruise control. gently caress you, brake pedal

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i rarely drive on highways or freeways, and i drive a manual so cruise control (off) button is pretty much there to be launch control with an aftermarket tune

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

question to the cruise control people: do you all live in a country that has a general max speed at highways? So you can set it at a certain speed, and work with that for dozens of miles? (like going back to it after braking etc.)?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tuo posted:

question to the cruise control people: do you all live in a country that has a general max speed at highways? So you can set it at a certain speed, and work with that for dozens of miles? (like going back to it after braking etc.)?

the US, yes

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Pretty much all of North America is going to have stretches like that. I would think even most of Europe would have stretches like that.

Where do you live that doesn't?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll use cruise control on my 10 mile commute because why not.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
because its zoomy car time? :shrug:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

In the hubs of Norcal and Socal, bay area and the greater la area respectively, cruise control is absolutely worthless because of how much variance there is in speed due to traffic

It's useful for getting between the two though and everywhere else in this godforsaken state

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Depends on the day, depends on the conditions, but I tend to use cruise quite a bit. Adaptive cruise is great...solves that 1/2 mph difference problem from that vehicle in front of you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I actually got the cruise control working on my '87 Corolla. It was there, so I decided it should work.
All it really took was a new (used) control stalk (which meant the entire combination switch, actually, because gently caress you, Toyota) and plumbing the actuator to a vacuum source.
It only needed the control stalk because some hamfisted neaderthal in it's past managed to break it off entirely. It need the vacuum plumbing because the previous owner replaced the OEM carb with a Weber that lacked the incredible vacuum monster attached to the OEM one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cruise would be great for the inane 50mph average speed camera shite we get, if it weren't for the inability of everyone around you to maintain a constant speed.

A lot of CC systems have a secondary "speed limiter" function, whereby you can drive normally up to a given speed, at which point it arrests your acceleration unless you use full throttle. That's actually a lot more useful than cruise for a lot of scenarios.

Similar to the "speed alert" beep you could program on Saabs. Except it got annoying, so you set it "out the way", and then ended up wondering what that funny noise was as you crossed an entire county at 120+.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Cruise would be great for the inane 50mph average speed camera shite we get, if it weren't for the inability of everyone around you to maintain a constant speed.

A lot of CC systems have a secondary "speed limiter" function, whereby you can drive normally up to a given speed, at which point it arrests your acceleration unless you use full throttle. That's actually a lot more useful than cruise for a lot of scenarios.

Similar to the "speed alert" beep you could program on Saabs. Except it got annoying, so you set it "out the way", and then ended up wondering what that funny noise was as you crossed an entire county at 120+.

Yeah no when we talk about cruise control in America its on a highway where there are waaaay less cars around you and comparatively a lot more road

Also you're nearly always going straight

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My friends always act like I'm crazy when I toggle on cruise control on the highway. If I've got 5+ minutes of relatively uninterrupted driving ahead of me, why on Earth would I not? I don't understand where the anti cruise control mentality comes from.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

80s Japanese market cars like I grew up with would typically have the bell hard wired to activate at just over 100km/h. I remember many family road trips in our '87 Nissan Bluebird with that drat bell ringing for extended periods of time (no idea why my parents didn't have it deactivated)

E. Also I've mentioned it before but it's crazy how many relatively highly specced Japanese imports didn't come with cruise control at all until recently

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cugel the Clever posted:

My friends always act like I'm crazy when I toggle on cruise control on the highway. If I've got 5+ minutes of relatively uninterrupted driving ahead of me, why on Earth would I not? I don't understand where the anti cruise control mentality comes from.

I use cruise constantly, even on surface streets. I can set a speed, and then not worry about being one of these assholes who can only maintain plus/minus twenty from the speed limit.

Adaptive cruise is even better.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I use cruise constantly, even on surface streets. I can set a speed, and then not worry about being one of these assholes who can only maintain plus/minus twenty from the speed limit.

Adaptive cruise is even better.

Same. I've got a lead foot and if I'm not paying attention to my speed I'll drift faster and faster without really realizing it. I can just set the cruise to the speed limit and not worry about it if the road is open.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I’m 60 miles each way right now, I sometimes aim for that sweet cruise speed that allows most people to pass me until traffic accordions back down below my speed and I can ride it out.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I like to listen to Car Talk, even though there are no new episodes and one of them sadly passed away a few years back.
This lady called in and described how her husband drives. He would drive in acceleration/coast intervals where he'd gently accelerate for a while to a few mph above the speed limit and then get off the gas and let the car decelerate to 10 mph or so before the limit. He was apparently convinced this was an efficient way to drive and the best way to save both gas and wear and tear on the vehicle.

Those are the people you share the road with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cruise control talk: GF and I are driving to New Orleans for my birthday next month. She wants us to take her car, but have me drive.

She has a barebones Matrix. No cruise control. I think AC was standard, I'm not sure if the CD player was optional or not, but it's as bare bones as it gets outside of a CD player and AC. It's DBW, it looks like adding cruise is basically cutting the steering column cover and adding a stalk (it's the first year of drive by wire - all of the "aftermarket" kits seem to be the OEM switch with a cutting template). She doesn't want to do that, even if I pay for it, since she "doesn't trust cruise, [she's] never used it before" (to be fair, she's owned 2 cars in her life, both base model, and might have 150k under her belt.. I'm coming up on a dozen cars, nearly 1M miles under my belt, and every car has had cruise except for one) (we're only 6 months apart [she's older], so it's not an age difference thing causing the massive difference).

I want to take my car, because, well, it has cruise, and it's a nearly 10 hour drive. "But your car is so old and beat up, and we shouldn't put the miles on it" (what? it's 1 year newer, and you kinda bought it... also I have stuff like bluetooth streaming, a decent stereo, etc... I just happen to have almost double the miles, and it's going to get driven into the ground anyway... the round trip is 2 weeks worth of working anyway)

:argh:

I use cruise all the time, even on city streets. If there's no other traffic around, I'm using cruise, because my right foot isn't capable of maintaining a steady speed without other vehicles around.

wesleywillis posted:

Other drive hate: Anyone driving an Audi product, anyone driving a chrysler 300.

Sorry to any AI goons that drive them, but if I had god like powers, I would make every single Audi product and Chrysler 300 simultaneously suffer catastrophic engine failures.

Friend drove a 300 for a few years. She bought it brand new in 2014.

It spent too much time in the shop for her to actually drive it, and the loaners were almost always Ram pickups. Something stupid like a dozen batteries while she owned it, and 5 or 6 alternators, and it still kept flashing "POWER SAVING MODE" (or whatever it pops up when the charging system craps out and it's trying to keep running on the battery) on the dash and turning off the AC at random. At least she's knowledgeable about cars, and understood why I really preferred to take my Saturn anytime we went anywhere. That loving car probably spent several hundred miles on tow trucks.

The best was when it popped up something about a keyless system error and shut off completely while she was driving with me in the car. At least it didn't lock the steering wheel (until we coasted to a stop). Started right back up, but only after we'd coasted to a stop in the middle of a busy road (no shoulder, no parking lot close enough to coast into).

The happiest moment in her life was when her daughter was born. The second happiest was when she got custody after her divorce (also the divorce). Third best was when she traded her 300 in on a brand new, custom ordered 3 pedal BRZ.

Previa_fun posted:

Don't even get me started on the folks who drive at the same speed next to me. :bahgawd:

If I'm on the highway and traffic is light (ESPECIALLY LATE AT NIGHT), I always have the cruise on.

Without fail, I'll come up on someone and start to pass, without touching the cruise or throttle. Then they match my speed. So I tap accelerate on cruise to add 2-3 mph. They speed up. I tap decelerate on the cruise to drop 5 mph. They drop back a bit to match my speed.

WTF MAN, I WAS DOING THE loving SPEED LIMIT. I don't like someone sitting right next to me. I usually wind up gunning it up to 10-15 over for a moment to pass them, then letting cruise take back over, but too many idiots don't get the hint and either pull up alongside again (matching my speed), or change lanes and sit a few inches off my bumper until I downshift by at least 2 gears let off the gas.

I'm usually in the right or middle lane; I stay the gently caress out of the left lane unless I'm actively passing, or if traffic in the left lane is hauling rear end (both ahead of me and behind... I don't want to be the radar bait).

Also, undertaking is completely legal in Texas (thank gently caress, otherwise I'd never get anywhere, ever).

TotalLossBrain posted:

This lady called in and described how her husband drives. He would drive in acceleration/coast intervals where he'd gently accelerate for a while to a few mph above the speed limit and then get off the gas and let the car decelerate to 10 mph or so before the limit. He was apparently convinced this was an efficient way to drive and the best way to save both gas and wear and tear on the vehicle.

To be fair, a long time ago, a friend had a couple of "how to save all of the pennies" books while she was in grad school. I picked one up out of idle curiosity while hanging out with her one night, and that was actually one of the things suggested (thankfully she was car savvy enough to know it was bullshit).

This was before one of the CarTalk brothers died. Maybe the guy read the same book?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

When you can get round trip to MSY for $100 why would you drive?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

I like to listen to Car Talk, even though there are no new episodes and one of them sadly passed away a few years back.

My driving instructor as a teen was really into this idea, and I guess it holds a bit of merit if you're talking about a carbureted vehicle. I guess his thoughts were that with a car that has a carb, if you keep on the accelerator you're letting fuel into the motor and not all of it's getting burned as efficiently as it could be so he said to keep on the gas till juuuust above the speed limit and then coast until juuuust under, rinse, repeat. It's a hard habit to kick, but it's a little handy in really intersection heavy areas cos I'm not slamming the gas until the next red light.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wouldn't a carburetor perform even worse under that drive cycle, being that it couldn't limit fuel consumption under zero loading the way an injector can?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

my 3y/o loves the cars movies and they appeared in first one and the third one and i always get a bit of nostalgia from hearing their voices

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angryrobots posted:

Wouldn't a carburetor perform even worse under that drive cycle, being that it couldn't limit fuel consumption under zero loading the way an injector can?

Yup.

It will be adding fuel at the idle rate into a coasting engine, so it is completely wasted.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I used to compete in SAE Supermileage, to the winning tactic was to run the engine full throttle for best thermal efficiency, then coast to the minimum speed to maintain the rule mandated minimum average speed. This works for fuel injection and carburation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

The best Car Talk episode is the one where they get a caller complaining that their vehicle shakes at 17,500 mph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hypermiling bullshit is deffo in the right thread.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think you misplaced some of your 570S, buddy.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tuo posted:

I'm in Texas. More like hundreds of miles before you have to stop the cruise to pull into a gas station. Any interstate between Fort Worth and Las Vegas or Shreveport LA and Lafayette is 75 mph limit, autobahn in practice. I saw two cop cars when I drove from Dallas to Vegas -- a TXDPS trooper near Amarillo, and a city cop in downtown Albequerque. Kept the cruise control on with the '84 granny-spec Crown Vic's speedometer pegged anytime I was outside a city (this was before phones had GPS, so no idea how fast we were actually going. But 90 is a fairly optimistic estimate for that brick with a tired malaise-era 5.0L).

I-49 to south LA is more heavily policed, but I regularly find myself sitting at 80 with every third car passing me like I'm standing still.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's weird, because I drove the entirety from Portland to Phoenix and there was pretty much no area, even at night, where there was enough room to really turn cruise on and stretch the legs out. Doubly so anywhere between Phoenix and the southern border on a main highway. But for years and years I drove all over the PNW and INW and there could be literal hours between having to adjust the cruise speed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/JS6TQn4.mp4

REVENGE!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

How does someone get to that stage of a built car and not know how to drive the thing?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Testosterone + C&C would be my guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And being dumb enough to drive drag slicks on a public road while trying to burn out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a while

donut
Feb 4, 2001

What is this car? The forward-swept B-pillar says FC RX-7 but I know that can't be right. Is it buried somewhere in that one image that goes around of all the red 80s wedges?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dodge Daytona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

donut posted:

What is this car? The forward-swept B-pillar says FC RX-7 but I know that can't be right. Is it buried somewhere in that one image that goes around of all the red 80s wedges?

Took me a while too, but it's definitely an FC. Just heavily modified. Search for "FC RX7 drag car" and you can see how the rear gets modified like that for the huge drag tires.

Dagen H posted:

Dodge Daytona

Well poo poo.