Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This was probably explained before but why does my map turn red when I run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

This was probably explained before but why does my map turn red when I run?

Higher encounter rate

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You can run?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

You know what it makes me think of?

A DnD game with a bunch of very different people doing very different characters. Primrose's player is basically hamming it up all the time, maximum melodrama. She probably LARPs too. Olberic's a newbie just riffing off the player's handbook, Tressa's is a goon who just isn't taking things too seriously or is someone who's really deep into the non combat systems maybe. Cyrus' is a nerd.

The squad in this could indeed easily be a party in one of the tabletop rpgs I run

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah it's great

if you think going places is taking a bit long and you're constantly fighting random battles, just hold the b button to run faster*

*with proportionally more random battles

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
I'm spending way more time than I have to in this game because I'm shaking down every enemy I meet :shepspends:

I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but lowering an enemy's hp increases the odds of stealing, up to 100% at critical hp without having to spending bp. Things went quicker once I figured that out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

yeah it's great

if you think going places is taking a bit long and you're constantly fighting random battles, just hold the b button to run faster*

*with proportionally more random battles

Yeah, when you get Cyrus' "fewer random encounters" ability you can run everywhere and the encounter rate is like what walking would be otherwise.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

A DnD game with a bunch of very different people doing very different characters. Primrose's player is basically hamming it up all the time, maximum melodrama. She probably LARPs too. Olberic's a newbie just riffing off the player's handbook, Tressa's is a goon who just isn't taking things too seriously or is someone who's really deep into the non combat systems maybe. Cyrus' is a nerd.

I haven't got the game yet but I'm planning on going with Therion and getting Haanit, Alfyn and Prim for my starting team of super shady rogues + one cinnamon roll

I guess with the dnd analogy it's like someone's kid sibling joining their all chaotic campaign and just being like 'I wanna travel and help people :)'

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

Look Sharp! posted:

I'm spending way more time than I have to in this game because I'm shaking down every enemy I meet :shepspends:

I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but lowering an enemy's hp increases the odds of stealing, up to 100% at critical hp without having to spending bp. Things went quicker once I figured that out.

I thought it used the same system as H'aanit's monster capture, but not the exact same system. How weird.

Capturing the tougher monsters is really helping with the hp pools of later bosses in the character roundup. I just finished picking up my fourth party member, H'aanit, started with Tressa and going counter clockwise to pick up Cyrus and Ophilia to get there. H'aanit's boss had 12k hp which was a little rough since Cyrus and Ophilia (both mages) were only doing 600-700 with full bursts. Then H'aanit sends out this rat with double strike to clock off 1k+ on each hit.

So my question is, has anyone noticed that multi attacks do a lot more damage overall? I'm curious if I should beeline for multi-hit skills on my other characters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I only played for about two hours or so and got through Tressa's opening. I did a bit of grinding so I could afford the upgraded harpoon/bow/armor/shield. With all of those, the boss of her area... well... it didn't last long. Also, both bosses gave up 1000 money to her before the 1000 you get for beating it. That's pretty great.

Tressa really does seem like the most natural main character.

Compared to someone like Primrose who is like "I gotta hunt down these killers," Tressa just wants to go see the world and everyone in it. She feels like the glue that would bring everyone together since her quest is so open ended at the start. Everyone else feels much more focused at the end of their intro chapter.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Am I mad or wasn't there a minimap & compass thing when you're walking around in the demo? What happened to that?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Frankston posted:

Am I mad or wasn't there a minimap & compass thing when you're walking around in the demo? What happened to that?

You can toggle it on/off with I think it's R? So maybe you accidentally hit that

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

someone awful. posted:

You can toggle it on/off with I think it's R? So maybe you accidentally hit that

Oh that's it, lol. Thanks!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't help myself so I did the entire thing

https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/tressamoney

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My first actual complaint: Characters sprites don't change to their subclass sprites in the overworld, only in combat

Risky
May 18, 2003

A Real Horse posted:

After putting in four hours in one sitting, which I haven't done on a game since entering adulthood, I have come to the following conclusion.

The game is good.

Same, I haven't played through a JRPG since Suikoden 2.

Hype is real. Glad I bought a switch.

deftest
May 7, 2011
what's the deal with these optional dungeons? I had to skip a few because they were too strong. Just spent time running around Whistlewood near Cyrus' starting area, and there's a platform near the end, but no boss, no nothing. Anybody know anything?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

deftest posted:

what's the deal with these optional dungeons? I had to skip a few because they were too strong. Just spent time running around Whistlewood near Cyrus' starting area, and there's a platform near the end, but no boss, no nothing. Anybody know anything?

Some of them do in fact have bosses on those platforms, but I agree that some have platforms with no boss, I can only presume because they're locked behind a side quest or a character's story progression.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Well, one of the main draws is that the player literally slips into the role of one of them, so it resembling a tabletop RPG set-up is somewhat expected if you think of the character you picked as the character you rolled up and the others as the characters rolled up by your friends.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

PBnJamo posted:

So my question is, has anyone noticed that multi attacks do a lot more damage overall? I'm curious if I should beeline for multi-hit skills on my other characters.

Multi-hit are great for breaking tougher monsters or getting free hits in if you break the first hit. Likewise, abilities that hit all foes are great since you can break multiple enemies at once, and eventually randoms aren’t a matter of “Can I clear them?” but “How can I wipe out this trash without taking any damage and possibly in one round?”

As for H’aanit, based on Chapter 1 she’s one of the strongest characters due to the versatility and power of her monsters, plus her one “shoot all enemies multiple times” skill is freaking bonkers and annihilates anything weak to bow attacks.

Honestly versatility seems to be the name of the game due to how the break system works, though I’m sure my opinions will change once I unlock subclasses and suddenly everyone has more flexibility.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Your Computer posted:

Higher encounter rate

Oh thanks. I had a suspicion it was doing that but I can never tell if an encounter rate is higher or if it's just confirmation bias.

I started with Tressa and nabbed Cyrus I like that he is Sherlock Holmes with a smidge of Indiana Jones in that everyone fancies him. I was surprised you get a reputation hit when you use his ability, I imagined him chatting with someone and picking things up naturally, but I guess it's because he's literally pointing at people in the street and yelling at them to spill it.

Turned around and headed south to pick up Primrose because her dance sounds hilariously risky.

Game seems fun and chill so far, it's going to be hard to get work done at home when I know I can dip into a good turned based jrpg on God's own console.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

I was surprised you get a reputation hit when you use his ability, I imagined him chatting with someone and picking things up naturally, but I guess it's because he's literally pointing at people in the street and yelling at them to spill it.

That's Alfyn's ability He's the good boy going around asking people about their troubles.

Cyrus is the jerk Sherlock who can somehow figure out that you're having marital problems just by the type of dust on your left shoe. Some people don't like that.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

PBnJamo posted:

To be honest, I don't use multi-hit attacks for the damage, especially the randos. I use them more for breaking enemy shields which they are insanely good at. Even if I think multi-hit attacks are somewhat underpowered compared to the single-hit skills, I make a beeline for them because being able to break enemy shields faster is amazing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

A strength boosted olberic punching dudes in the face 6-10 times with a spear is how I win most of my duels. Feels so good.

But yeah, multi attacks to set up Breaks, then followed up with a big, beefy, boosted single-hit ability makes some good numbers pop up, that is for sure. I might end up giving all of my dudes the Dancer passive that restores SP at this rate, though...

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 14, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

someone awful. posted:

A strength boosted olberic punching dudes in the face 6-10 times with a spear is how I win most of my duels. Feels so good.

But yeah, multi attacks to set up Breaks, then followed up with a big, beefy, boosted single-hit ability makes some good numbers pop up, that is for sure. I might end up giving all of my dudes the Dancer passive that restores SP at this rate, though...

I gave that one + the SP Saver ability from the Merchant + the Accessory that restores SP per turn on Cyrus and he utterly annihilates everything with his higher tier magics and recovers back the SP used (so long as it's not the finishing blow). It's great.

In general, I think just about every offensive skill in the game has something it can be used for, whether it be for breaking shields, doing powerful single-hit damage, or just being plain cheap to use.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh wait I just thought of something else to ask the thread while I'm stuck in work. If you boost the collect ability do you get more cash? Should I be squeezing every mob I meet as a tiny super saiyan girl?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Shoehead posted:

Oh wait I just thought of something else to ask the thread while I'm stuck in work. If you boost the collect ability do you get more cash? Should I be squeezing every mob I meet as a tiny super saiyan girl?
Boosting it increases its chance to work. Mobs, eh, sure if Tressa has a free turn before someone after her can kill the monster or something. Bosses, definitely collect whenever possible.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I think it just ups the success chance, not how much cash you get?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Shoehead posted:

Boosting increases the odds

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

John Lee posted:

UPS says they delivered this glorious game to my house hours ago... but they did not. Not even, like, half of the game or anything!

And contacting their support guys is a friggin' trial, too.

UPS did this time once when returning my black 3DS that Nintendo was repairing. Never got it back. I had to fight with UPS and eventually Nintendo sent me a replacement refurbished blue 3DS. I miss my black 3DS. :(

UPS is a garbage company and I avoid them at all costs. USPS for life.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So like, is there a map I should be buying? The minimap is literally just a foggy circle where you can't see poo poo on it and I've never seen something more useless in a game in my life

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

In a similar vein, does boosting buff skills increase just the duration or also the effect? Also, if I have two weapons, which one is used to calculate the elemental damage of spells?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's not a minimap, it's a radar. If you don't like it, you can turn it off with R.

And yes, boosting buffs increases their duration.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 14, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like my party

Alfyn: hey there buddy what troubles you?
NPC: *tells story about their troubles*
Ophelia: There you go. May the flame light your path.
H'aanit: NOW FITE ME NERD
Tressa: *loots the body*

Another sidequest well done. :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Wildtortilla posted:

UPS did this time once when returning my black 3DS that Nintendo was repairing. Never got it back. I had to fight with UPS and eventually Nintendo sent me a replacement refurbished blue 3DS. I miss my black 3DS. :(

UPS is a garbage company and I avoid them at all costs. USPS for life.

My local (non US) UPS are awful for poo poo like this. They keep leaving our parcels in gardens of houses with the same number as our apartment without thinking "huh hang on it says "apartment" on here, and I can see some apartment blocks over the tops of these houses, maybe I should be there instead of this loving house?"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

In a similar vein, does boosting buff skills increase just the duration or also the effect? Also, if I have two weapons, which one is used to calculate the elemental damage of spells?

Boosting only increases the duration as far as I can tell. And as to which weapon is affecting your stuff, I'd been assuming it was whichever one you had set as readied in the melee attack command, but I don't actually know this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't weapons just add to your physical/magical attack by being equipped and that stat determines your damage output?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
After the original demo I went pretty much lights out on this game. Chose Alfyn at the start because I asked my wife who to play and she used to work at an apothecary. I was kind of unsure at first but turns out this dude is super fun! He’s real earnest and I like his combination of abilities. I need to explore more with his concoct ability, any good tips on it?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ManSedan posted:

I need to explore more with his concoct ability, any good tips on it?

Pretty much just find some enemies that aren't really a threat and spam his concoctions to find out what does what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Don't weapons just add to your physical/magical attack by being equipped and that stat determines your damage output?

If you look at it in the equipment screen you get different values for elemental attack depending on the weapon you select, so it's not entirely clear which one applies when in battle. I also assume that it depends on the one you select for your meelee attack but I have not tested this.