Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I had typed up the whole context of it, which wasn't meant to be insulting, I just dropped an R instead of saying slow or challenged when talking about my own kid's development (he's not, btw) but at the end of the day, as an instructor and E-6 I should be more aware of the language I use in front of people, which is what I told my class once it was brought to my attention that my cavalier manner of speech likely offended some people.

And of course even though I'm trying to handle it in a low key way without naming names or anything, acknowledging my mistake, half the class immediately rallies to my side and declares that calling people retards is ok you guys, it's a medical term.

I mean act like you're instructing 5 year olds instead of actual adults, let the fleet worry about the hurt feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
UNLIMITED SICK LEAVE, OF WHICH YOU WILL NOT RECIEVE ANY, BECAUSE YOUR FREE MEDICAL CARE IS PROVIDED BY A GED WHO DOESN'T WANT TO DO PAPERWORK SO THEY SAY YOU'RE FINE

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean they're not really wrong. Like I wish I could have got my nephew in the navy. Instead he's going to be a prison guard.

At least 1/3 of that is pretty bullshit.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

UNLIMITED SICK LEAVE, OF WHICH YOU WILL NOT RECIEVE ANY, BECAUSE YOUR FREE MEDICAL CARE IS PROVIDED BY A GED WHO DOESN'T WANT TO DO PAPERWORK SO THEY SAY YOU'RE FINE

My free va healthcare is the same poo poo.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

I mean act like you're instructing 5 year olds instead of actual adults, let the fleet worry about the hurt feelings.

The very first complaint I got as an instructor was for "talking down" to them. I've gotten complaints about not explaining things slowly or in-depth enough, too. I've gotten complaints about being "too chummy" and "not approachable".

After work I found out that this kid went back to my buddy and said that my apology seemed "backhanded". He didn't think I "meant it".

gently caress students, gently caress great lakes.

Edit: when I say complaint, I meant they said something to another instructor, who said something to me. I've only ever had one actual real live critique. They said I didn't seem to care about how they did.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 13, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean they're not really wrong. Like I wish I could have got my nephew in the navy. Instead he's going to be a prison guard.

Several of them are functionally wrong. They don't have layoffs, because they're called something else. There are no taxes on base, there are service fees or whatever instead.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

At least 1/3 of that is pretty bullshit.

Yeah, that's acting like every civilian job is a minimum wage burger flipping position. Lots of jobs offer health care, more vacation, other benefits, employee discounts that are way better than not paying taxes on rip-off prices at the NEX, etc.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, that's acting like every civilian job is a minimum wage burger flipping position.

They’re just being realistic about job prospects for the average veteran, man.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I think you'll find the NEX has Navy values and Navy brands, shipmate. Plus it's on base, you live in housing, right?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

I think you'll find the NEX has Navy values and Navy brands, shipmate. Plus it's on base, you live in housing, right?

I never even need to leave base! It has everything I need!

Fast Food, Badly fitting clothing, indifferent customer service.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I remember once at the NEX in Japan, the only game they had, for any system, was Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection. By that, I don't mean they had like three copies in a corner, they had dozens and dozens of copies filling up the shelves.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The very first complaint I got as an instructor was for "talking down" to them. I've gotten complaints about not explaining things slowly or in-depth enough, too. I've gotten complaints about being "too chummy" and "not approachable".

After work I found out that this kid went back to my buddy and said that my apology seemed "backhanded". He didn't think I "meant it".

Edit: when I say complaint, I meant they said something to another instructor, who said something to me. I've only ever had one actual real live critique. They said I didn't seem to care about how they did.

And none of those would have you even get called into the office if they found their way into a critique. Like yea I get it, boo hoo the kiddos are real snowflakey but it's on the command for tolerating that instead of explaining to them that they're big boys and girls that are in the military now, and guess what? PO2 chuckle gently caress isn't the person that should be explaining that. I instructed for 4 years at Great Lakes and never even came close to getting in trouble, but I guess I'm not a loving retard, retard.

The point is it's INCREDIBLY obvious what kind of show you need to put on over there, if you don't want to than you're just making your life more difficult. We had people that threw fits because 'this isn't going to be how it is in the fleet', and they all got crucified.

:chiefsay: How's your MTS coming along?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Thankfully there is no shortage of idiots to replace him

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

You really have no business being an instructor. I’m sure you do well in your rate on a ship, but you aren’t cut from the right cloth to be a formal instructor. You are kinda retarded, to be totally honest.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do they have any openings to be the dude that yells at new recruits getting off the bus talking about the rude awakening they’re in for when they get to the real fleet

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You really have no business being an instructor. I’m sure you do well in your rate on a ship, but you aren’t cut from the right cloth to be a formal instructor. You are kinda retarded, to be totally honest.

May or may not be true

But if that was a requirement he navy would have to purge 80% of their instructors and teaching institutions

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Do they have any openings to be the dude that yells at new recruits getting off the bus talking about the rude awakening they’re in for when they get to the real fleet

You have to be top 10% of the fleet to get that job!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Where’s my 10%er patch to go on my cut, next to my VETERAN one

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Would disassembling a weapon on watch retard your career?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
there must be ways to explain to your students that ship life is going to be full of things they may not like without going against what i assume is in the black and white instruction

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 13, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

boy are my arms tired posted:

without going against what i assume is in the black and white instruction

Segregation has been gone for decades, dude

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I mean even in the fleet, a captain calling people retards or faggots is going to end up on the front page of Navy Times soon enough. Just because MM2 and MM3 say it to each other on the boat without consequences doesn't mean it's acceptable or that there wouldn't be consequences if the wrong person heard them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
There's no real reason to use that language as human being or retard does not emphasis a point any better. Eliminating that stuff can lead to more effective communication as well since you will have to take active notice of what you are saying and how you say it. Plus you avoid any chance of getting in trouble.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Not to harp on it again, but you're an instructor Mr. Bad Guy. Your students look up to you as a role model, and just because "they will see it in the fleet anyways" does not make it ok for you do to it around the students. They are still in the training pipeline, they have not been out to the fleet, and if you set a bad example, and are a bad instructor/do not give two shits about your students (the not caring about pass/fail) you will wind up setting up students for failure. They are your relief so that you can leave the Navy and poo poo keeps getting done when you're gone. Don't sabotage that, because eventually if you survive being an instructor, you will go back to the fleet, and you will possibly wind up having one of those students back under you. Do you want one that is well trained or do you want one that is trained poorly?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Inculcating a culture of professionalism at A-school is doing a great service for your students.

That same standard of professionalism does not exist universally in the fleet, and students should be prepared for sailors who aren't at the same level.

That said, you want to make sure that they enter the fleet above the standard, not below it, otherwise they could end up in the news like this dipshit:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...pchat-facebook/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
One of the teachers at my a-school ended up on my boat.

Guy was a real shitbag.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Still can’t believe “liberal” is used as an insult.

Don’t we have an officer on the McCain? Stick that fatfuck on bread and water for the max.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Whatever happened to just using the word "shipmate" to insult each other?

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
When I switched over to the NOAA Corps I learned that “shipmate” is a positive or at least neutral term. I’ve done my best to corrupt and use it derisively.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I guess when you use a word so much it loses its impact shipmate.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Wonder Free posted:

When I switched over to the NOAA Corps I learned that “shipmate” is a positive or at least neutral term. I’ve done my best to corrupt and use it derisively.
As if there's any other way to use it

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

And enjoy the fun of proving to the VA that your poo poo got hosed up while in because at no point did the corpsman actually document anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
~snip~

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 16, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So my sister is apparently considering joining the Navy as a nuclear engineer, does anyone have a link to the thread where it's clearly explained why this is the worst idea imaginable?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So my sister is apparently considering joining the Navy as a nuclear engineer, does anyone have a link to the thread where it's clearly explained why this is the worst idea imaginable?

Buy her an SA account.

I talked to GIP before I joined. Was amazingly useful.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Buy her an SA account.

I talked to GIP before I joined. Was amazingly useful.

And yet you still joined; a GiP failure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Becoming a nuke means she has I believe the highest potential chance to kill herself out of any other military career.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283345

you'll need archives

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
lol @ "nuclear engineer" in the Navy. FYI we don't have any of those. What "engineers" we do have are called that in the olde tyme sense that they work on the engines. The actual engineers work for Bechtel.

Does she have a good GPA and a degree in a "hard" engineering discipline like nuclear, mechanical, aero? She can get a much better job outside the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's me. The OP of that thread.

It's still a bad idea. Also the Navy doesn't have nuclear engineers. The Navy has nuclear techs that get told 18 months of algebra-based A-school/C-school is the same as 4 years at MIT with the ego to go with it.

Note: You dont have to have a STEM degree to be a nuke officer.

If she ends up doing it, let us know how it goes.