Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Planetside 2: Man its great that the Max anti vehicle weapons are also excellent anti infantry weapons. Got people holed up, a bitch and a half to flush out? Bring a vehicle, oh wait they melt your health in 3 shots. Ok well if they're using anti vehicle weapons then use infantry! Oh wait, they can practically one shot infantry. Cool!

In the first Planetside my favorite MAXes were the red ones (Terran Republic?). Both to play as and to fight against. That was because their gimmick was they could deploy to become sentry turrets with really quick firing rate and little recoil, which was cool to use... but also fun to turn against them. My favorite thing to do was to be a cloaker, and set an anti-personnel explosive charge right behind them. They could hear me deploy it, but by the time they were able to undeploy to try and run away it would be too late and they'd get exploded.

Man, the original Planetside was so much fun for me... I don't know if I'll ever find a way to recapture that experience of playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
TR maxes still do that, but they basically negated the whole "stuck in one spot" thing by giving basically instant deploy/undeploy. Because you know, there shouldn't be any downside that could make anything strategic in any form where you should and shouldn't use it.

Another thing dragging the game down: With the rework of the construction system you see players making bases around permanent bases, setting up artillery, the sky lights up with artillery firing back and forth, you got nifty glowing skyshields peppered around the area, finally there are less places for loving esfs to hide at, players are actually having to deviate from the "just run to the control point while holding shoot" formula to take out other targets...

So of course the playerbase whines about it and wants it to stop, and the devs might very well listen to them as they're a dying company who needs to keep whoever they can.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Farcry 6 you should be an indentured Ubisoft employee who goes rogue

Isn't that the modern day plot of some of the later Assassin's Creed games?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying recruiting Digimon in Digimon World: Next Order but the constant training of companions is starting to get to me, every time one partner gets up to par, the other dies and needs to be raised again - I do have a plan in mind to raise individual stats as high as possible before death so that they start with better stats next gen, but it takes so long to do.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't that the modern day plot of some of the later Assassin's Creed games?

Yeah in Black Flag you work at not-Ubisoft.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Ubisoft exists alongside Abstergo!

It's canon that Abstergo's CEO getting assassinated, in Watch Dogs, allowed Ubi to move in and claim a bigger market share.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love the complaints from people who play Far Cry 5, the tone changes so much the longer they play.

2 hours in: I hate the pause music

10 hours in: These scripted sequences are bad and poo poo's pretty repetitive

40 hours in: I hate this, and I hate myself for playing it

I just had my first random capture in which I had to kill fake enemies who disappeared into a cloud of smoke upon death because I was hallucinating from drugs. Yes, exactly like the 2 side quests in GTA V where Trevor/Michael smoke a hosed up joint. Nah Ubi came up with that idea, clearly. Not stolen from anything, nope.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That's been a thing in a load of games and movies, it feels kind of insincere to put it on Ubisoft for "stealing" it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

That's been a thing in a load of games and movies, it feels kind of insincere to put it on Ubisoft for "stealing" it.

Yeah, even as far back as ASCII games had you hallucinating monsters that don't even really exist in the game in NetHack (such as the dread master lichen).

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thin Privilege posted:

I just had my first random capture in which I had to kill fake enemies who disappeared into a cloud of smoke upon death because I was hallucinating from drugs. Yes, exactly like the 2 side quests in GTA V where Trevor/Michael smoke a hosed up joint. Nah Ubi came up with that idea, clearly. Not stolen from anything, nope.

I see you haven't played Far Cry 3.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

I see you haven't played Far Cry 3.

Or Arkham Asylum.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

StandardVC10 posted:

Reading about it beforehand I really thought they couldn't go wrong. Bomb around Montana in a crop duster and sic your pet bear on people? Sounds pretty hard to gently caress up. And, I enjoyed FC3 (Swan Dive Into the Mouth of A Crocodile Simulator 2K13) well enough. But the more I read from people who played it the more mediocre it sounds. :(

Only Far Cry game I played was FC3 and, while I liked it for a while, it started getting really repetitive after a while. I maybe got half way through before losing interest in it. The tower sections especially grated on me. I don't like platforming elements in FPS for teh most part.

Been binging the Wolfenstein games and really like them. This is probably a dumb complaint but sometimes there are TOO many guns. They leave so many of those mounted ones around that I always wind up using those instead of my arsenal so ammo management becomes non existent.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Or Uncharted 3.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Far Cry 4 : 60 percent in, quarter of the main plot done. I'm going to make a lot of comparisons to Dying Light.

Despite Ajay Ghale's personal connection to the main conflict he doesn't seem to express much range, or show any sign of an arc. It's also a missed opportunity to not have him played by an asian guy.

You will often be sitting on unspent skill-points because the game arbitrability forces you to finish a quest in a certain way. To decrease fall-damage you must capture two outposts without being detected, I don't know how these are connected. Dying Light paced its leveling-system better and never gated anything behind the crappy plot.

In Dying Light's quest-log you'll find main-quests, side-quests, quarantine zones, and challenges. Each quest mixes things up and events never get too predictable. One quest-line has you searching pharmacies for a kid's insulin, then gathering up another kid's toys, then killing a zombie that your quest-giver was reluctant to tell you about, before finally facing a giant boss-zombie in a parking-lot. In Far Cry 4 there are over 20 mission-types and there are no surprises. You just hoover up the map of simple one-step tasks given by faceless quest-givers. The Progress Screen spoils everything and the game strides towards being artificial, and never deliver exposition organically.

I've only played the first half but a major fault of the environmental design is that Southern Kyrat is all one biome. Every corner looks the same, none of the towns are unique, there are no different merchants. Velen was one map in the Witcher 3 but it had a dozen biomes: the battlefields, the swamps, the forests, the rolling hills, the forests, the coastline etc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Or Uncharted 3.

I've always thought that that sequence must've been more terrifying for the henchmen than for Drake:Drake thinks that the henchmen become djinns when they're killed. But from the henchmen's perspective Drake is running around stoned out of his mind shooting them and after they're dead he just keeps shooting them anyway.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I think Far Cry 2 was the best of the Far Cry series even with the annoying respawning outposts.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Nioh gives you too many items and my need to keep one of each unique weapon and armor piece for fashion souls means every level im stuck selling/disassembling all my poo poo for like ten minutes afterwards

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Yardbomb posted:

Sorry, I think I’m still just bitter about being abducted and now I’m being”hunted” again. And I never seen the explode into smoke hallucination thing anywhere else before. So. Regardless whoever complained about being hunted, yeah. gently caress that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oldstench posted:

I think Far Cry 2 was the best of the Far Cry series even with the annoying respawning outposts.

Far Cry 2 feels like literature in gaming form - similar to Pathologic, or other serious games. Helps that it's fun inbetween the misery - unlike Pathologic.

Far Cry 3 meanwhile is a themepark and the story is garbage but you can use rocket launchers on sharks so who cares?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't really care what happens in the plot of Far Cry 4, but I find it incredibly upsetting whenever my elephant buddy gets killed.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Desperate Character posted:

Nioh gives you too many items and my need to keep one of each unique weapon and armor piece for fashion souls means every level im stuck selling/disassembling all my poo poo for like ten minutes afterwards

You can have the blacksmith change the appearance of your equipment into anything you've picked up before.

e: You can also mark stuff for mass disassembly.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Jul 14, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Ghosts in witcher 3 loving suck. Like, as bad as the combat is at least you can approach any other enemy however you want. If you really want to spend a whole fight throwing bombs and signs at a golem, go the gently caress ahead. But ghosts? gently caress you, there's literally only one way you can even damage a ghost. Have fun using this one sign every few seconds and creating a tiny field in which you can damage these assholes. Oh and ghosts teleport around and after like three hits you'll just straight up knock them out of the field anyway, unless you can pin them in a corner. Which is very hard to do unless you get lucky and bait them into one, time it perfectly and position yourself just right.

Why the gently caress do people keep saying this is the best game ever? Is this like final fantasy 13 where I have to play eighty hours of garbage before finding the fun?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The best way to do the Bloody Baron quest-line is to straight up ignore it until you are grossly overpowered at killing ghosts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't really care what happens in the plot of Far Cry 4, but I find it incredibly upsetting whenever my elephant buddy gets killed.

I cared in the sense that I wanted to tear through those Golden Path assholes and sit at the right hand of Pagan Min. Like, Kyrat is gonna be run by a dick anyway, why can’t it be him?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Leal posted:

TR maxes still do that, but they basically negated the whole "stuck in one spot" thing by giving basically instant deploy/undeploy. Because you know, there shouldn't be any downside that could make anything strategic in any form where you should and shouldn't use it.

Another thing dragging the game down: With the rework of the construction system you see players making bases around permanent bases, setting up artillery, the sky lights up with artillery firing back and forth, you got nifty glowing skyshields peppered around the area, finally there are less places for loving esfs to hide at, players are actually having to deviate from the "just run to the control point while holding shoot" formula to take out other targets...

So of course the playerbase whines about it and wants it to stop, and the devs might very well listen to them as they're a dying company who needs to keep whoever they can.

I started reading this post thinking that this game sounds awful, why would anyone play it? Then I got to the end of your post and it turns out the answer is "they don't"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's really disappointing. I have so many good memories from the original. Like once the Outfit I was in (like a guild, but with military vernacular) decided they were bored with the current Big Battles happening, so we went into a planet that currently belonged to whichever side was fighting us somewhere else at the time and tried to take over a base behind their backs. Of course, as soon as you try to take a base over it alerts the enemy, so they sent their people to blow us up... which they did! Except they missed one cloaker, who had medkits and so after they left he was able to go about ressing us all so we could continue where we left off.

I don't remember if we actually managed to take over the base that time in the end, but drat if it wasn't fun trying.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nuebot posted:

Ghosts in witcher 3 loving suck. Like, as bad as the combat is at least you can approach any other enemy however you want. If you really want to spend a whole fight throwing bombs and signs at a golem, go the gently caress ahead. But ghosts? gently caress you, there's literally only one way you can even damage a ghost. Have fun using this one sign every few seconds and creating a tiny field in which you can damage these assholes. Oh and ghosts teleport around and after like three hits you'll just straight up knock them out of the field anyway, unless you can pin them in a corner. Which is very hard to do unless you get lucky and bait them into one, time it perfectly and position yourself just right.

Why the gently caress do people keep saying this is the best game ever? Is this like final fantasy 13 where I have to play eighty hours of garbage before finding the fun?

Witcher 3 is great because of it's story telling and world building. The combat loving sucks.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Edit: I should be more helpful

Nuebot posted:

I'm not trying to be a smart rear end here, but I think you mean "wraiths". "Ghosts" are a distinct other enemy. With your common wraiths, you don't need Yrden. You can still damage them with basic attacks. Yeah the teleporting around is annoying, but just wait for them to teleport to you, dodge -twice-, then attack them. You will need Yrden for your contact wraiths like noonwraiths and such.

oh dope has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Jul 15, 2018

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Watch Dogs 2 is pretty alright until you have to do stealth infiltrations. That poo poo sucks.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Iirc that was just to force you to use the drone and RC car, they completely break those and you don't even need to get out of your car to use them

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The thing is that a lot of them, including the last mission, involve you entering a building and being stuck there until it's finished. You might find a blind spot and let the drones do their thing, but the odds are very stacked against you.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I cared in the sense that I wanted to tear through those Golden Path assholes and sit at the right hand of Pagan Min. Like, Kyrat is gonna be run by a dick anyway, why can’t it be him?

I wish Pagan Min was my boyfriend.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Nuebot posted:

You can just kill regular wraiths with your silver sword, they're pretty weak. You can also stun them with Axii to stop them teleporting, and use Yrden or Moondust bombs to make them very vulnerable. Spectre oil makes them die incredibly fast. Northern Wind bombs can freeze them solid. They attack really slowly so they're pretty trivial to dodge. They're completely immune to poison and fire does pretty much nothing (though grapeshot bombs hurt them a bit). Magic Trap (alt-Yrden) is really good because it makes them corporeal and damages them.

Noonwraiths and Nightwraiths are pretty much the same but require you to use Yrden/Magic Trap or Moondust bombs to make them corporeal. Slap on Spectre oil and they die super fast.

Honestly, the combat in Witcher 3 is great if you pay attention, and you always have a bunch of different options on how to kill poo poo - most of which you can learn by looking at the bestiary.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I only played on B&B and I never did get into the intricacies of the combat, like side-stepping and parrying, because 99% of fights are against gangs or packs. You don't get to fully know or predict your moveset unlike a Souls game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Quote-Unquote posted:

You can just kill regular wraiths with your silver sword, they're pretty weak. You can also stun them with Axii to stop them teleporting, and use Yrden or Moondust bombs to make them very vulnerable. Spectre oil makes them die incredibly fast. Northern Wind bombs can freeze them solid. They attack really slowly so they're pretty trivial to dodge. They're completely immune to poison and fire does pretty much nothing (though grapeshot bombs hurt them a bit). Magic Trap (alt-Yrden) is really good because it makes them corporeal and damages them.

Noonwraiths and Nightwraiths are pretty much the same but require you to use Yrden/Magic Trap or Moondust bombs to make them corporeal. Slap on Spectre oil and they die super fast.

Honestly, the combat in Witcher 3 is great if you pay attention, and you always have a bunch of different options on how to kill poo poo - most of which you can learn by looking at the bestiary.

The only thing I didn't like in Witcher 3 was how the consumables worked: I would've liked stuff like potions or oils to be longer lasting, but requiring you to meditate to apply them. Furiously chugging down potions mid-combat doesn't feel very witcher-y, whereas taking a moment before walking into a difficult encounter to drink somethings that would apply regeneration for a long period and increase defense/attack, prepare oils for you sword, and such would've felt a little more thematic.

That and I'm not a fan of the skill system. I feel like I'm wasting skill points if I don't first choose the 12(?) skills I will equip and only build around those.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What you want was actually exactly how 2 worked, stuff lasted 15 minutes instead of 30 seconds but you had to meditate to use them. But they were also one-use, and it didn’t suit the game as well as it would have in witcher 3 since it was more linear and you usually didn’t really know what you’d run into ahead of time. It only really worked if you reloaded a save or had already played the game before.

I’m always a fan of less time spent in menus so I think 3 was an improvement.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Getting rid of meditating for potions was necessary for the pace of Witcher 3's open-world gameplay, as was the removal of traps. Also they had to make the Alchemy tree not poo poo like in Witcher 2 and got rid off that half-baked perk system.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Witcher 3's combat is pretty much the opposite of what I would call responsive. Once you get out of White Orchard the game's difficulty flattens out so much that pretty much everything can be defeated by just rolling in between waiting for Quen to refresh, and human enemies are especially dumb. I barely even had to rely on potions or vulnerabilities, just slot in some OP mutagens and you're good to go. This would still be okay if there wasn't so, so much combat.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

kazil posted:

Witcher 3 is great because of it's story telling and world building. The combat loving sucks.

The combat is not that bad if you adapt to how geralt actually moves and learn when to expect him to twirl all over the place.

It's not perfect but I figure learning how the character feels to play is part of any game. I dunno, I never found it hard to control after the first hour or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You didn't have to rely on potions or mutagens, but it also sounds like you relied on Quen a lot. I find that this is a common complaint, when the response is usually "Use all the tools available to you, not just quen, and battles go a lot quicker."

Digirat posted:

What you want was actually exactly how 2 worked, stuff lasted 15 minutes instead of 30 seconds but you had to meditate to use them. But they were also one-use, and it didn't suit the game as well as it would have in witcher 3 since it was more linear and you usually didn’t really know what you'd run into ahead of time. It only really worked if you reloaded a save or had already played the game before.

I'm always a fan of less time spent in menus so I think 3 was an improvement.

Fair enough - but I would've like something that allowed me to prepare more for a tougher fight. If I knew that I was about to fight a noonwraith, for example, as part of a hunt, I wouldn't mind sitting down and drinking a concentrated form of a potion that would last longer, but took some time to consume rather than as a mid-battle boost.

The one-use thing, though, obviously had to be removed. Would've never used all that stuff if it was consumable.

Strategic Tea posted:

The combat is not that bad if you adapt to how geralt actually moves and learn when to expect him to twirl all over the place.

It's not perfect but I figure learning how the character feels to play is part of any game. I dunno, I never found it hard to control after the first hour or so?

I played the game on Nightmare. It was loving hard to start. But as I went on and got used to how Geralt moved, and started using all the tools available, it got really cool to see a lot of the game in action. I was using Quen when I could, but only when I needed, spitting fire and knocking down enemies otherwise, selecting my potions and bombs ahead of time, it was pretty cool. But man, that first battle was rough as gently caress, and the gryphon took forever.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Jul 16, 2018