Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure I've played this V:tM videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So I have noted a small issue in the new Geist preview.

The Description Of Physical Medium's Effects posted:

While living mediums can speak with the dead, a Sin-Eater can reach out and touch them. Ghosts
are as solid to her as living people; she can punch, grab, or kiss a ghost as she would anyone else.
This only extends as far as her body and clothing; she can’t stab or shoot a ghost, at least not
without a weapon created for that purpose.

On The Next Page, In The Rules Text For Physical Medium posted:

• Ghost Touch: The Bound can see, touch, and interact with ghosts and other ephemeral
beings with death-related Influences or Numina as easily as they can with the living. This ability
extends to anything they wear or use, including ranged weapons.

This seems to be directly contradictory. I'd personally say 'ghost touch should not apply to weapons' but that's me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mors Rattus posted:

None of y'all are Liesmith and none of y'all are good at pretending to be Liesmith.

I miss liesmith

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, hey, Scion: Origin with art dropped today for backers. It does look pretty. The opening art features Donnie finding a golden iPhone with 'to the prettiest' on it. I'm amused.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

So I have noted a small issue in the new Geist preview.

This seems to be directly contradictory. I'd personally say 'ghost touch should not apply to weapons' but that's me.

Maybe the inclusion of "ghosts" was a mistake in the second entry. Being able to touch a death spirit the way they do ghosts seems to be the intent. Werewolf has a similar thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was literally just thinking about Scion I willed this release into existence

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm not a big fan of the Mage games, or mages within the w/cod as people, but the one fictional character I could totally see both being a mage and being a good character would be Egg Shen, from Big Trouble In Little China.

He ran a Chinatown (potentially 'Frisco in general?) bus tours company as his day job. Because he was a wise old bastard.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

TBH I don't understand what stops mages from destroying the global economy. One isolated mage with sufficient dots in Matter could easily create mountains of Gold and Currency.

There aren't that many of them, and frankly becoming supernaturally rich overnight makes you a huge target for any number of other supernaturals who want to control your influence or see you as a threat.

That has always been the thing acting as a remote 'check' on Mage powers, drawing too much attention from things older and/or meaner than you.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Wellington Paranormal, the COPS-style parody from the What We Do in the Shadows guys, is out. It asks the important question of 'what if two not-too-bright cops wound up investigating paranormal events in Wellington', and so far I'm loving it. If I ever run a TF:V game I'm making it mandatory viewing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm considering running a game of Hunter: the Vigil. Would you recommend the first session be mortals? Are there any decent adventure paths? I'm considering maybe using Call of Cthulhu and throwing in vampires or something. A lot of the mini-adventures I see are all great and weird monsters, but I'd like to use vampires or a vampire as the main antagonist. I'm okay with the exciting parts, but the investigation and mundane aspects make me a little nervous to run.
Anyone here have a long running Hunter game? How did it go? Would you recommend any scenarios?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Firstborn posted:

I'm considering running a game of Hunter: the Vigil. Would you recommend the first session be mortals? Are there any decent adventure paths? I'm considering maybe using Call of Cthulhu and throwing in vampires or something. A lot of the mini-adventures I see are all great and weird monsters, but I'd like to use vampires or a vampire as the main antagonist. I'm okay with the exciting parts, but the investigation and mundane aspects make me a little nervous to run.
Anyone here have a long running Hunter game? How did it go? Would you recommend any scenarios?

I can't answer most of this, but the bolded part?

Dear god no. There has never been a good SAS, which is the ChronD version of adventure paths. They all suck. Literally all of them

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Mors Rattus posted:

I can't answer most of this, but the bolded part?

Dear god no. There has never been a good SAS, which is the ChronD version of adventure paths. They all suck. Literally all of them

I figured this was it. When I read them, I remember them being disconnected "scenes" with something written on them like "if one of your characters forgot their glasses, that's -2". Thanks for that note.
Literally none of them, though? That's really unfortunate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Collection of Horrors might be okay?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The beast adventure path is being in the wrong neighborhood when one of your elders decides they want to commit a massive act of terrorism.

The main conflict is whether or not you as the PC's even have the right to critique them. But if you're really really nice they'll agree to only kill a few people.

Unless you kill their main targets first in which case she stomps off like an angry child.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
The best you can get out of an SAS is some individual ideas and NPCs to steal for actual good stuff you run on your own. The ones that came out alongside the Horror Recognition Guide hit above par for that, but are still a mixed bag, even though HRG is one of the best books they've ever printed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, hey, Scion: Origin with art dropped today for backers. It does look pretty. The opening art features Donnie finding a golden iPhone with 'to the prettiest' on it. I'm amused.

Shout out to intro fiction by good rear end comics guy Kieron Gillen, read the Wicked and the Divine if you liked that story

Edit they tell you to read WicDiv and his Journey into Mystery run but leave out his actual best comic and instead tell you that Loki's story continues in Agent of Asgard WHICH IS BY SOMEONE ELSE ENTIRELY

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 13, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Shout out to intro fiction by good rear end comics guy Kieron Gillen, read the Wicked and the Divine if you liked that story

Edit they tell you to read WicDiv and his Journey into Mystery run but leave out his actual best comic and instead tell you that Loki's story continues in Agent of Asgard WHICH IS BY SOMEONE ELSE ENTIRELY

Agent of Asgard is way more relevant to Scion than Young Avengers though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I feel like Phonogram could also be mined for ideas, even if not precisely relevant.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blockhouse posted:

Agent of Asgard is way more relevant to Scion than Young Avengers though

Let me have this, being grumpy about comics gets me up in the morning

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

weird demon stuff on the itnernet https://twitter.com/cheorryeclipse/status/1010311948234305536

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So according to random facebook shares, NuWW just told nazis not to buy their game.

That's good, right? Or did something even worse happen?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Firstborn posted:

It doesn't have to be mortals but I do recommend having a clear idea of what you want the game to be about before you start and then guiding character creation along those lines. If you just toss the book at the players they'll all bee-line for different conspiracies and you'll have a very strange party - though that might be what you're going for.

What is it about the investigation parts that makes you nervous?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mendrian posted:

So according to random facebook shares, NuWW just told nazis not to buy their game.

That's good, right? Or did something even worse happen?

They did a weird livestream/Reddit AMA where when directly asked to condemn Nazis they did so in a fine, bland PR-y way "if you're part of a group like neo-Nazis you're not welcome, we don't want your money."

But also:

quote:

Another user, BasileosAlexios, tried to flip the question, asking;

Jason will you disavoew Antifa and other segregationist left wing movements just the same as you disavoewed right wing hate movements or not, that’s a simple question

Carl disagreed it was a simple question and refused to tackle it as such. However, he was unequivocal in that White Wolf and the Vampire team would reject and oppose any group that used hate speech and promoted an agenda of hatred.

:laffo: "Good people on both sides" you motherfucking oatmeal-hearted buffoon.

And none of this changes that they're clueless 90's-huffing edgelords at best.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
If they can’t take the simple step of firing Zak S in a very public and humiliating manner, then I don’t think any of their statements can be taken seriously.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They also did not say they're changing anything in the book which has a lot of nazi dog whistles in it.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Wikipedia Brown posted:

If they can’t take the simple step of firing Zak S in a very public and humiliating manner, then I don’t think any of their statements can be taken seriously.

They can't fire someone who doesn't work for them. His name isn't on the credits for V5 and other WW staff/freelancers working on V5 like Dawkins have stated before this that he hasn't worked for them since the mobile game came out.

Gumball Gumption posted:

They also did not say they're changing anything in the book which has a lot of nazi dog whistles in it.

Define 'a lot'? Because they already changed the 1488 which was in an old preview). If you have access to the full text, why not post a list of all the 'dog whistles' and send it to them so they can fix them?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MoonKnight posted:

They can't fire someone who doesn't work for them. His name isn't on the credits for V5 and other WW staff/freelancers working on V5 like Dawkins have stated before this that he hasn't worked for them since the mobile game came out.

Define 'a lot'? Because they already changed the 1488 which was in an old preview). If you have access to the full text, why not post a list of all the 'dog whistles' and send it to them so they can fix them?

Did you really pay ten dollars to defend the honor of Paradox White Wolf?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MoonKnight posted:

That actually makes sense, but they could still renounce him.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Mors Rattus posted:

Did you really pay ten dollars to defend the honor of Paradox White Wolf?

Nah. I was already going to buy the membership because I liked reading the Mage discussion here (this is about the only sane place I've been seeing Mage discussion, which I've been trying to learn and get into as I liked 1e but haven't had much luck with 2e so far), but it was the first thing that I felt like replying to, mostly because it's something I've been trying to follow in my own decision on whether or not to buy any 5th Edition stuff. And how is 'hey, if you have the list, send it to them to fix it?' defending? I feel like that's a legit question, since they said in the interview they want to engage the community and want to correct the mistakes.

Anyway. I've been reading Awakening 2e. Has anyone had much luck rolling in any of the expansion material from 1e into it, particularly some of the things like Runes or other esoteric magic-done-through-another-way? Or the Magical Traditions?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Aren't they actually in fact still defending him? Claiming they investigated it and he hasn't done anything wrong?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That actually makes sense, but they could still renounce him.

hangedman1984 posted:

Aren't they actually in fact still defending him? Claiming they investigated it and he hasn't done anything wrong?

IIRC one of the WW staff posted on Facebook in a thread saying 'if we say this as a company without legal evidence, and he loses work because of it, he has grounds for legal action'. I assume they're doing what they can within the bounds of what contract he had with them.

I've been working on a Mage chronicle, and most of my experience with Awakening has been 1e, where I played a fairly long chronicle, but I've never STed Mage at all. I'm wanting to use 2e as the rules seem a lot more streamlined and easier to deal with, from what I can tell, and I'm working up the concept of a cabal of Mages who are involved in a Mysterium-heavy Consilium. The four people I have who are interested in it are all on board for a total 'Mage Indiana Jones' chronicle, with the Consilium being a home base for Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones-esque adventures. Right now we have commitment to an Acanthus Mysterium, a Moros Arrow, an Obrimos Councilor and a Thyrsus Mysterium.

Coming from 1e Mage and still absorbing the 2e core book, what are some pitfalls I should look out for between 1e and 2e, particularly with rules changes that aren't glaring that might get glossed over?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

So it's a bit off topic but this might be for the Secret World MMO. Either that, a forgotten Lost TV show ARG, or someone is cribbing from a lot of horror and modern urban fantasy sources to create an independent ARG. My money is on it being a Secret World ARG though. It's a lot of :words: to explain, but here's why:

"The Dream is Ending Tyler" line that's apparently really well hidden on the Enricks website is reminiscent of one of Secret World's first big updates in which you go after a man named Tyler Freeborn into the Red Sargassum Dream. Which, to give a layman's explanation for NWOD players, is basically the Abyss manifesting on Earth through an infectious fog that's spread throughout an area of New England. poo poo gets...Uh, dark from there, to put it mildly. I can spoil it if people want but it'd require another essay to do so i'm not going to bother unless it's really something people want me to clog up the thread with. Suffice to say that Secret World sometimes plays like the NWoD is in the initial death throes of an apocalyptic event and you're one of the hunters that's trying to stop it.

Notably, the Tyler reference doesn't seem to have any relation to the rest of the ARG as well. It's basically an easter egg in an easter egg. There's also no character in Lost that fits that name, though more on that later.

That first real world image also has a sun sticker on the car. It appears to be the logo for some sort of organization. Though I can only make out the words "Cont" in the text circling the star. Stars and suns are Morninglight's (Basically an apocalyptic cult worshipping the Filth and the aforementioned Abyss stand ins.) preferred symbol. As is disease and a general corruption of things through the Filth. Can anyone check to see what the rest of the text surrounding the sticker says?

The ARG's are also something Secret World has done a lot of. Heck, I recall them literally having ARG's in game as part of their investigation based system of questing. Ditto for the text getting all hosed as things progress and you look further into things. If that stuff is related to TSW then that doctor on the Taiwanese site was probably infected by a viral strain of the Filth at some point. And if this is a Secret World ARG for a new update odds are she's not giving good healthcare or treatment to any patients that show up at her door. At least, by the standards of human healthcare she isn't. Gomex's are probably just normal human organs that aren't infected by a new strain of Filth.

That scaretheater youtube channel points out that the Enricks website has been up for years with no evident follow-up to the key or anything else. If this is a TSW ARG then the Enricks website existing for years could fit as well since TSW effectively ceased development for several years and only continued putting out updates recently. If it is in fact a TSW ARG then that'd explain why it wasn't followed up on in the years since then. Also, I think some of the older TSW in-game investigations and ARG's had websites put up way in advance of when they were released to the public, effectively existing as darknet websites until they were ready. So it may be that it was just put up for the day that they needed to spring the ARG on people. A lot of their story was supposedly written in advance of release, after all.

Granted, this could be for something else. The big hole in my theory is the evident agenda message hidden in the number channel that shows up. Which could mean it's possibly an old or new Lost TV show ARG given that that was a thing way back when. But stuff like the "Dream is Ending Tyler" message and just about everything else fits so hard that it's hard to discount everything i'm seeing.

Regardless of whatever it belongs to it may still be active, seeing as the google maps image hidden in one of the gifs is up to date and the tumblr account in question appears to be active. That's a hell of a long time to keep the act up if it's just some troll. According to reddit it looks like the ARG may have just ended for the time being. Apparently the devs showed up in a discord channel to answer questions about it.

All that being said, welcome to how hosed up and insane the ARG's nowadays can get.

Edit: I dug a bit deeper and it turns out the devs admitted that it was just a joke/story/weird Tumblr thing that got out of hand. I guess they started pulling from other sources to keep the ARG going after it got lots of attention. Hence the old Lost ARG tie ins like the number station and the Secret World references.

quote:

The whole ARG was not planned! It was originally a joke and then spiraled into this. Strong improv skills that come from someone who’s done lots of creative writing!

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 14, 2018

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

MoonKnight posted:

IIRC one of the WW staff posted on Facebook in a thread saying 'if we say this as a company without legal evidence, and he loses work because of it, he has grounds for legal action'. I assume they're doing what they can within the bounds of what contract he had with them.

Yeah, well, they kinda went above and beyond the call of duty on that one even by that standard with the entire "no new or valid issues" thing. While he was a harasser on employees on their own property at Onyx Path. -_-

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

The Secret World is extremely Chronicles of Darkness, imo. I enjoyed it a great deal as a result. Everyone is kind of wizards, but it's more complicated than that. Legends just released a new expansion for it after years of no content updates.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does the Residual Memory merit for Prometheans apply to combat rolls?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

do NOT jack off posted:

The Secret World is extremely Chronicles of Darkness, imo. I enjoyed it a great deal as a result. Everyone is kind of wizards, but it's more complicated than that. Legends just released a new expansion for it after years of no content updates.

I'm way behind with my Templar Jerremy Corbyn. I should continue before it closes down eventually.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I do rather like this line. 'It is important to know that you are The Hole.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm way behind with my Templar Jerremy Corbyn. I should continue before it closes down eventually.

Yeah. I had an Illuminati that I quite liked, now that I have a PC that can properly play it Legends killed my interest in actually playing it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It doesn't help that Legends is literally just TSW over again with a new combat engine but you can't copy a character from one to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MoonKnight posted:

I've been working on a Mage chronicle, and most of my experience with Awakening has been 1e, where I played a fairly long chronicle, but I've never STed Mage at all. I'm wanting to use 2e as the rules seem a lot more streamlined and easier to deal with, from what I can tell, and I'm working up the concept of a cabal of Mages who are involved in a Mysterium-heavy Consilium. The four people I have who are interested in it are all on board for a total 'Mage Indiana Jones' chronicle, with the Consilium being a home base for Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones-esque adventures. Right now we have commitment to an Acanthus Mysterium, a Moros Arrow, an Obrimos Councilor and a Thyrsus Mysterium.

Coming from 1e Mage and still absorbing the 2e core book, what are some pitfalls I should look out for between 1e and 2e, particularly with rules changes that aren't glaring that might get glossed over?

Pitfalls. Spellcasting is a lot different in how it's done, but it may not be immediately obvious if you're speed reading through it because you're already familiar with 1e. Other than that, just get used to people trying to fit yantras into everything, and maybe just leave them to do it. It can take up a lot of time figuring out spellcasting pools even when quick, so figure out how your group wants to play and then just roll with that level of pickiness. Maybe your group will be better than I am about the minutiae, and that's cool too. Biggest advice is to use Group Beats because of all the arguments that happened about 15 pages ago. You probably already read them. They work great, I love them. The mages in my game actually grow at a steady pace.

You also asked about Magical Traditions, and this stuff is easy to roll into Yantras. Runes, esoterica, and the like could all easily be rolled into spellcasting implements, and the themes are up to you about how they actually intersect with magic. Personally, we end up using Runes the most, but I think they're a +2 yantra and they have to take time drawing them out so they're best for ritual casting.