Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Huzzah! posted:

new Dungeon Meshi
god drat god drat god drat so much good stuff.

How I, An Adventurer From A Fantasy World, Died And Woke Up In Another Fantasy World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't believe Marcille is a Klaus Nomi back up singer now.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gmq posted:

Bakarina is so good. It avoids most if not all the isekai bad tropes.

Nah, it follows isekai tropes, but just "reincarnated as villainess in an otome game" isekai tropes, which are different from "guy who is reincarnated as a powerful slave-owner" ones.

I like the "villainess in an otome game" tropes, though, so I've enjoyed a few of the stories with this premise I've read.

yum posted:

Thanks for recommending Bakarina. Didn't expect to enjoy it so much since I normally really dislike isekai. Like what you guys said, most isekais read like excerpts from the author's masturbatory wish fulfillment fantasies, but this one isn't gross, is lighthearted, and I'm enjoying how wholesome it is. Plus the art is nice and the characters are cute

I guess I'll be checking out the other female protagonist isekais now.

It's not a manga, but I'd recommend this if you like the Bakarina one: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/kenkyo-kenjitsu-o-motto-ni-ikite-orimasu/

Nihilarian posted:

As far Isekai goes, the Spider one is practically anti-wish fulfillment. She was reborn in the body of a spider, incapable of communicating with other humans, had to flee from her new mother and siblings in order to avoid being eaten, as well as many other creatures more powerful than her, and is constantly forced to eat foul tasting poisonous creatures in order to survive.

Nah, it still leans into the "constantly becoming more powerful and getting all the OP game skills" trope. It just acts as wish fulfillment from a "playing a game/MMO" perspective rather than a "I want to have a harem of sexy animes" one.

A lot of "becoming super OP" WNs have a beginning where the character is weak/struggles, presumably to "justify" them quickly becoming OP soon after. Kumoko follows this pattern, with her very quickly become extremely strong by that world's standards (which is masked somewhat by her going up against increasingly strong enemies, but there's never really a doubt after the beginning portion that she's going to win relatively easily). A lot of people play up the "she struggled so much!" aspect, but in real world time the "struggling" period consisted of just a few weeks (or months, forget, but no longer than that) before she became obscenely powerful due to having some ridiculously overpowered abilities.

I enjoyed that WN, but more for the setting than the Kumoko parts (which were by far the weakest IMO; I would constantly feel like skipping ahead to the latest stuff that revealed more info about the greater setting, and enjoyed things far more after she left the cave).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 16, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't have a problem with the protag getting cheats, per se, a lot of heroes in media get something similar, but explained in greater detail because they don't have a handy shorthand for the concept. I have similar feelings about advancing quickly in power. My problem with a lot of isekai I see is when the protag essentially (or literally) gets a blank check from god. Kumo met her "god" and understood immediately that she wasn't giving her cheats out of the goodness of her heart. The situation has a very deal-with-the-devil feel to it - which, admittedly, could still go nowhere. Hopefully we'll see some of that soon, with Taboo finally coming into play

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I have heard spoilers from the WN, and it's a lot dumber than anyone would think.
I'll still keep reading though, because kumo is a good spider :3:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh also, here, have a plug for Drifting Dragons.

It's a really pretty and interesting manga that's basically Sky Whaling: The Manga.
Given Japan's current situation with whaling though, it is a bit odd to see it glamorized like this ... but hell, people still read Moby Dick.

I guess I should also say, it's more than just an episodic whaling adventure - there is progression in general, time passes, and we follow the story of a newbie "Draker" as she makes her way into the world of Draking. It's really great, and has some characters I can personally identify with and really like.

I know that feel, Gibbs. :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I like dragons.

I like stories about a motley crew all gathered together on a single large vessel.

I like Drifting Dragons.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Given Japan's current situation with whaling though, it is a bit odd to see it glamorized like this ... but hell, people still read Moby Dick.

Yeah but I mean the whale kills all of them.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Recently Sekai maou has started updating again. I would call it the best currently running isekai manga. The best ever is of course still Mitamura Sakurako .

Guru Guru is also getting uploaded to mangadex. It is the oldest gameworld vs. inappropiate character reaction manga, that I know of. It is from 1992, you can compare how much the subgenre has changed.

rvm
May 6, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Recently Sekai maou has started updating again. I would call it the best currently running isekai manga. The best ever is of course still Mitamura Sakurako .

Guru Guru is also getting uploaded to mangadex. It is the oldest gameworld vs. inappropiate character reaction manga, that I know of. It is from 1992, you can compare how much the subgenre has changed.

Guru Guru anime is my pick for the best anime of 2017. So good.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

rvm posted:

Guru Guru anime is my pick for the best anime of 2017. So good.
I actually prefer the 1994 anime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

tonberrytoby posted:

Recently Sekai maou has started updating again. I would call it the best currently running isekai manga.
I saw that, and tried reading one of the new chapters after reading it all who knows how long ago.
I then realized it has been so long that I no longer remember the characters. So on to the re-read list it goes.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Sekai maou isn't really isekai given how no one's from another world, though it does have the common demon lord/hero and some other tropes. I really like it though. Not many stories of this ilk have this much existential musing. Only thing getting it down is the characters who are perverts.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I think Maou is described as being from another world. Or at least she wakes up with no memory and thinks she is from another world. Or maybe I am remembering it wrong.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

tonberrytoby posted:

I think Maou is described as being from another world. Or at least she wakes up with no memory and thinks she is from another world. Or maybe I am remembering it wrong.

I don't recall her being described as being from another world at all. Waking up with no memories yeah. But the story heavily resolves around her learning more about the world, previous demon lords and heroes, and herself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I don't think this page is like, as flat out impressive as like the elf group shot that everyone was going crazy over last chapter, but man its still pretty good.

Three small gags just chaining into each other. All introduced on the same page, the setups coming immediately after the former's punchline. And they are all good character beats and all the while Ryoko Kui is doing some light exposition. Like its nothing flashy, but its just good confident storytelling.

Too many talents! Art, composition, world building, characterization, good at gags. And then her stuff is just feel with so much personality and charm. Seriously, she is really good at this.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 16, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"No! :< "

:kimchi:

Izutsumi is so good. Definitely the best new addition to the team.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Hah, didn't even notice chilchak down there in the last panel on the first pass.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hah, didn't even notice chilchak down there in the last panel on the first pass.

Same, but Marcille having cat hair on her cheek.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even when izutsumi is reverted to a childlike state she's still a huge brat

this manga is really doing justice to the idea of a cat-human hybrid

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Same, but Marcille having cat hair on her cheek.

Wait whaaaaaaaat

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

It's not a manga, but I'd recommend this if you like the Bakarina one: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/kenkyo-kenjitsu-o-motto-ni-ikite-orimasu/

This one's good! Too bad the author's gone missing so it'll probably never get finished. :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Wait what

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't know about the author but the translation is pretty inconsistent so it may take a long time to finish.

I do like it though since there's no magic or anything, just the terror of schoolgirl cliques.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 17, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh, poo poo, I thought the bakarina author went missing. Was worried.

We'll, I guess I'm still worried for that other author.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Oh, poo poo, I thought the bakarina author went missing. Was worried.

We'll, I guess I'm still worried for that other author.

bakarina is already completed

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh, sweet

Absum
May 28, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

bakarina is already completed

The LN as well? I thought it was still going, but it's also gone past the original ending which I don't like, the webnovel was right to stop where it did.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I though the LN got really boring and bad after the ending.

I think even the translator thought so and dropped it shortly after :v: not sure if a new guy has picked it up since though

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Ytlaya posted:

This is great, thanks for suggesting it! I ended up binge reading the entire series and eagerly wait for the next translation release.

I was disappointed at how shallow the story became after the major plot points passed in the Bakarina WN (especially the alternative POV chapters that were straight up copy and pastes of each other) but this was much more interesting. I do miss how genki the Bakarina protagonist was in comparison though, Kenkyo's protagonist acts much more like a normal person which was frustrating in a few parts when I wanted her to act like an ojousama lol. She does pull through eventually

High school anime cliques can be scary. The plot moves a lot more slowly but the author develops the character's relationships more. It's neat to read how some characters gradually transformed into their respective anime archetypes. All the food makes me pretty hungry too.

yum fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 19, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's Bakarina time, bitches.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was literally about to post asking if it had been dropped or what, woo!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If she's managing average grades what the gently caress is everybody else at that school doing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's managing average grades with a bunch of geniuses working hard to prop her up.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dungeon Meshi 47.

This chapter felt a little less detailed and narratively tight or cohesive than the others, but it's by no means bad, especially when you compare it to all the other fantasy manga out there.

Has anyone been following Witch Hat Atelier? The sumptuously detailed, Berserk-like art and easygoing yet clearly broadly plotted style has made it into one of my top pick mangas to follow. The author is great at making each chapter be its own full story, but always leave you with hints at the wider world around. I really love it.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Dungeon Meshi 47.

This chapter felt a little less detailed and narratively tight or cohesive than the others, but it's by no means bad, especially when you compare it to all the other fantasy manga out there.

As a bonus, we finally get the long awaited Senshi pinup cover page.

DrSunshine posted:

Has anyone been following Witch Hat Atelier? The sumptuously detailed, Berserk-like art and easygoing yet clearly broadly plotted style has made it into one of my top pick mangas to follow. The author is great at making each chapter be its own full story, but always leave you with hints at the wider world around. I really love it.

I've been enjoying this a ton since it was first linked. I really want to know what the heck the wide-brimmed hat witches are up to. Coco is a pretty great protagonist, too. I love how enthusiastic she is about magic. It kinda bugs me how in other stories about an ordinary person landing in a world of magic, the protagonist just kinda bumbles about learning stuff. Sure, you're starting off from square one while everyone else has been living and breathing magic junk since their birth, but if I were in the same situation I sure as heck wouldn't treat magic lessons like a boring day in gradeschool. Coco really has a lot of drive to learn her stuff to an almost obsessive degree, and it really makes sense to me that she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Kumo Desu Ga anime is looking... real bad...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhf50Hfn3k