Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogstile posted:

How do people stay at a company for 15 years? I don't think i've ever not been bored 2 years into a position.

I'm planning on the long haul for my current job. Growing company so constantly new interesting poo poo to do, good pay and benefits, and I'm given the time to build the right solution instead of being pushed to 'just get it done'.

The culture can be a bit eye-rollingly over the top sometimes but it's so, so much better than a toxic environment.

By long haul I of course am thinking 6 years max though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Finding a new job loving sucks and I would much rather do the Boomer thing where I stay at one place for my entire adult life.

Especially if they still gave me a nice watch when I turned 60 or whatever.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 13, 2018

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Mildly pissed off that I had to drag my rear end in here at 8am for no real reason (all my poo poo's in testing, I have nothing to do but wait to see if QA finds something wrong). Was out drinking with coworkers and my boss until 2am and got no loving sleep.

More pissed off that my boss said gently caress it and isn't coming in today. I should have just slept in until checkout at the hotel at 11 :argh:

Mistakes were made. If I could do it over again I'd have gone back to my hotel at 4 and taken a nap. But I did get an amazing steak I didn't have to pay for, and I feel like I've been initiated into the inner circle here......and learned WAY too loving much about these people that I wish I could un-learn :stare:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

BaronVonVaderham posted:

and learned WAY too loving much about these people that I wish I could un-learn :stare:

That could come in handy in the future.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Inspector_666 posted:

Finding a new job loving sucks and I would much rather do the Boomer thing where I stay at one place for my entire adult life.

Especially if they still gave me a nice watch when I turned 60 or whatever.

At my current company I feel like we have 10/15/20/25 year anniversaries every month. Our department has regular developer turnover every couple years, but if they keep giving me raises and I get to play with new technologies, I'll probably stay here for a good while.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My current plan is to bounce between the same few big clients for as long as they'll let me. Their problems are big enough to keep me occupied but I'm comfortable enough with their tech that it's not too much effort, and they pay very well.

Keep stashing money for the next 10-15 and retire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Government jobs can be 15+ years easy. No one ever gets fired, everyone's usually pretty chill, and the bar for performance is pretty low. If you can get one that actually lets you do interesting work 20 years will slip by before you know it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh

Maybe its because i'm still in my 20's

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

Government jobs can be 15+ years easy. No one ever gets fired, everyone's usually pretty chill, and the bar for performance is pretty low. If you can get one that actually lets you do interesting work 20 years will slip by before you know it.

Yep. Our government is one of my clients, the only catch is they won't let contractors work for more than 3 years on the trot.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Job hunting loving sucks. I may try negotiating a higher salary here once I hit my third year, because I really don't want to have to start looking.

Dude who used to work here for 18 years just left because they kept stacking work on him, and he kept asking that some of it be offloaded, and they just kept chugging along, saying they were going to fix it, for, like, six months. They decided not to hire to replace him, and now I know of at least two people in that department (of about ten) looking to get out (one of them looking to jump to IT, who I have encouraged).

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I have been at my current job for 12 years now, but I do entirely different work than what I was hired for. The large amount of vacation and being left alone by everyone else(since they don't understand what I do) is nice. But I have been here too long.
I just need to find the motivation to get a new job.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’m hoping my current company is the last company I work for. I’ve been here four and a half years and there’s still ton for me to learn and plenty of places to go when I get tired of my current role.

Yeah, job switching is painful.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

xzzy posted:

Can confirm. You really need to just be able to ignore things that are not your problem though or you'll go mad from all of the bullshit red tape and incompetence from people who can never be fired, though. The first three months are a really weird acclimation period.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
There are things I'm not a fan of in my current job, but the perk of "working remote" is something that no recruiter has been able to match and probably never will, since most employers don't consider "commute time" to be "time you get paid for".

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

dogstile posted:

How do people stay at a company for 15 years? I don't think i've ever not been bored 2 years into a position.

I'm going to be hitting 15 next year. In IT alone with a few people close to that.

In my case, there aren't a lot of IT jobs in the area, the benefits are good enough and the pay is juuuuust on the side of sticking around. In the last year though, my frustration has been mounting because small unfixed problems are starting to become large problems that are being difficult to ignore. We are growing extemely fast, which is good in that it keeps things from being stale, but anymore we can never keep up. Too many people in important positions still have the "we're a small scrappy local company that is sticking it to the big companies" mentality. This works for awhile, but eventually making IT look good by keeping payroll low will bite you.

Also at 15 years I get 4 weeks of vacation.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

That's a disgustingly long time to stay for 4 weeks PTO. :911:

I started a new job this year as an entry-level mainframe janitor. The company's mainframe department headcount is crashing due to multiple 20+ year veterans retiring. They eventually realized that they had to do something to get a new generation in and up to speed, or they'd be screwed since universities aren't teaching mainframe technologies these days. The job posting said that they're going to rotate us newbies around to different roles every 2-5 years to give us opportunities to keep learning and become well-rounded mainframers, which is one of the things that attracted me to the position. I've never worked for a company where I could plan to stay for such a long term.

My class of 5 new hires recently finished our 2 month mainframe boot camp training course, and we all got placed in database operations, which had the most dire need of replacement headcount. It wasn't my first choice and isn't where I plan to stay, but there's plenty to learn and I'm expecting to rotate out to something new in a few years. During my first 1:1 with my new manager, she tells me that she'll never be able to authorize me to transfer to a different group since she's just lost 2 veterans who perform 3 departments-worth of duties each, and the learning curve to fill in their roles will take so long, that I should pretty much expect to be in this department as long as I'm at this company. I told her that's not the deal that I signed on for (or what her manager has been telling us), and that there's no way I'll not get bored doing the same job for the next 30ish years of my career, but I'll stick around as long as there're opportunities to learn.

Oh well, I guess it really was too good to be true. At least I don't have to worry about getting denied a new role/searching for a new job for another few years, and this department is responsible for multiple complex applications that I'll get to learn. I was hoping to rotate out of ops (and being in an on-call rotation) and into an engineering/development role eventually, and it's disappointing to have that hope crushed so early. I am grateful, however, that my manager is honest enough to tell me how it really is and not lead me on.

Either way, they're compensating me very well for what I'm doing and my current skill level, and the company does seem to want to keep people around once they've gained institutional knowledge. At the very least I can collect a good paycheck while biding my time for the next opportunity, whether that comes from inside the company or out. I have a feeling that mainframe skills will continue to be in demand for quite a while.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 14, 2018

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

CitizenKain posted:

Wait, do you mean 28 days or 20 days PTO? Because where I work 28 is pretty standard for new hires.

source: I'm currently looking for a new job and getting offers of 30+ days

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah, I got 3 weeks/15 days PTO right out of the gate at my new job, and in 5 years I'll get 4 weeks/20 days. Plus, the company shuts down for the week between Christmas and the new year, so I essentially get 4 weeks/20 days right now, and 5 weeks/25 days in 5 years.

Which country are you in, nexus6?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I get 3 sick days and 15 PTO days plus one floating holiday :(

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You poor fuckers. In the UK there's a statutory minimum of 28 days of holiday and typically sick days are not taken out of that holiday. After 7 days off sick they can revert you to around £100/week for up to 28 weeks.

If you book a holiday and then you're sick instead, you get to keep your holiday days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

America has a long and proud history of pulling employee rights from corporations with hooks and chains. For the most part things have improved but it's still pretty lovely compared to the rest of the developed world.

But hey we got capitalism and it's been super swell.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
PTO was one of the biggest hurdles when I was job hunting. I've got 9 years seniority at this place (they were bought by the company I worked for, I transferred in and they were sold, but I maintained my 2009 start date), which comes with 3 weeks PTO and 5 or 6 sick days a year, and I get a 4th week (20 days) in almost exactly a year. Pretty much nothing I found comes close, most places start at 2 weeks and then offer a 3rd after 3 or 5 years.

PTO is nearly as important to me as salary and insurance (which is also fantastic), I actually turned down an offer because they wouldn't move up from 10 days PTO.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

Yeah, I got 3 weeks/15 days PTO right out of the gate at my new job, and in 5 years I'll get 4 weeks/20 days. Plus, the company shuts down for the week between Christmas and the new year, so I essentially get 4 weeks/20 days right now, and 5 weeks/25 days in 5 years.

Which country are you in, nexus6?

:scotland:

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

PTO was one of the biggest hurdles when I was job hunting. I've got 9 years seniority at this place (they were bought by the company I worked for, I transferred in and they were sold, but I maintained my 2009 start date), which comes with 3 weeks PTO and 5 or 6 sick days a year, and I get a 4th week (20 days) in almost exactly a year. Pretty much nothing I found comes close, most places start at 2 weeks and then offer a 3rd after 3 or 5 years.

PTO is nearly as important to me as salary and insurance (which is also fantastic), I actually turned down an offer because they wouldn't move up from 10 days PTO.

At my last place I was there for more than 5 years and it got bought by a bigger company. Said bigger company had perks for longer years of service but instead of transferring our start dates they reset everyone to the day of the acquisition so they didn't have to give people an extra 2 days PTO.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 14, 2018

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Our HR time off system has a fun glitch that it won't take more than 8 hours of PTO for a day, so for those of us that work 4x10, we take one less day of PTO for a week off. It's pretty great having 5 weeks of PTO after a year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nexus6 posted:

:scotland:

At my last place I was there for more than 5 years and it got bought by a bigger company. Said bigger company had perks for longer years of service but instead of transferring our start dates they reset everyone to the day of the acquisition so they didn't have to give people an extra 2 days PTO.

Doesn't TUPE cover you in that situation? Or did you not lose out, but just didn't gain anything?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This was years ago, and in the UK, but I had a job with 28 days off a year plus UK bank holidays. If I particularly wanted / needed to work a bank holiday (almost always Mondays), I could have that day off on another day.

Usually worked out 36 paid days off a year to be taken however you wanted.

Jesus Christ America!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Doesn't TUPE cover you in that situation? Or did you not lose out, but just didn't gain anything?

I didn't lose anything but didn't gain anything either. To be honest by that point I was already planning on leaving so I didn't care that much.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If you guys ever fix this Brexit poo poo, I'll be back to "holy gently caress I need to move to the UK..." :britain:

Until then, Finland is probably at the top of my list. Might still be better, but unless I get really into the idea of learning the insanity that is Welsh I won't have to learn a new language.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Dead Goon posted:

This was years ago, and in the UK, but I had a job with 28 days off a year plus UK bank holidays. If I particularly wanted / needed to work a bank holiday (almost always Mondays), I could have that day off on another day.

Jesus Christ America!

Freedom ain't free :911:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I don't watch baseball

I've never googled baseball

I don't care about the red Sox

My Android phone has decided that it needs to push me red Sox score updates.

I've said don't show me that every time it comes up

This has been going on for three days now

(It's zero-all in the top of the first against the Blue Jays)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't watch baseball

I've never googled baseball

I don't care about the red Sox

My Android phone has decided that it needs to push me red Sox score updates.

I've said don't show me that every time it comes up

This has been going on for three days now

(It's zero-all in the top of the first against the Blue Jays)

This is part of Google’s new partnership with MLB. Google Maps only shows directions to the nearest baseball field now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I get 12 days vacation one accumulated per month ( if you take them early it's taken of your final check if you leave early).

I also get 2 personal and unlimited sick. I usually end up using all my PTO and 1 or 2 sicks a year. This is in addition to 7 federal holidays. Which I get the feeling some people add to their vacation time when discussing PTO.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

pixaal posted:

I get 12 days vacation one accumulated per month ( if you take them early it's taken of your final check if you leave early).

I also get 2 personal and unlimited sick. I usually end up using all my PTO and 1 or 2 sicks a year. This is in addition to 7 federal holidays. Which I get the feeling some people add to their vacation time when discussing PTO.

Unlimited sick time is probably a bad thing for me to have access to, I'm not disciplined enough to not take a day every time I wake up with a headache or only got a few hours sleep because I was up too late playing games.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

This is part of Google’s new partnership with MLB. Google Maps only shows directions to the nearest baseball field now.

I live 1271 miles from Fenway

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

Jesus Christ America!

Eh, it’s not so bad *if* you work for a decent company (usually tech-centric). I get just over 5 weeks PTO + US Holidays. Also if I end up getting called out after-hours, I either start later or end earlier for a short day or just take a comp day depending on if the call out is less or more than 3 hours.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh look, 20 new posts. Over how America. pTO sucks and how much better everything is in Europe’s.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Eh, it’s not so bad *if* you work for a decent company (usually tech-centric).

Legal IT can be pretty good too, if you're willing to put up with lawyers. The last place I worked had 28 days combined PTO/sick time plus holidays, and the new firm I'm at is 23 plus holidays.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have a confession. When dealing with other IT people, I give out IP addresses in CIDR format. When they call back to ask me for the subnet mask, I get a strange satisfaction. I'm a terrible person.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should openly taunt them as there are a billion ip calculators out there for doofuses that never learned the ranges. There's no justification for not being able to solve it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Farking Bastage posted:

I have a confession. When dealing with other IT people, I give out IP addresses in CIDR format. When they call back to ask me for the subnet mask, I get a strange satisfaction. I'm a terrible person.

Uh no? You're doing it right. THEY'RE the ones who suck. Besides calculators being available anywhere, anyone in an admin position should know the basics of subnetting well enough to figure it out, and especially if you're giving subnets on octet boundaries (i.e. class boundaries I guess they're still called even though it's classless) those people should drat well know what that is without thinking about it. But yeah doing the mental math of "x bits lower than the nearest boundary, 256 minus 2 to the x" isn't loving hard (or "x bits higher than the nearest boundary, last significant octet is 128, 192, 224 etc", depending on what boundary it's closer to and/or how your brain prefers to work).

edit: lol just lol if you don't know the powers of two through the 8th off the top of your head

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 14, 2018