Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

Is there a way to buy a soundtrack for Umineko? I'm afraid to google this stuff now, and when I tried to Shazam one of the tracks in-game it weirdly returned something entirely different. Semi-related, does the Umineko fighting game spoil anything?
Back when Umineko first came out in Japan, I may or may not have spent a long time taking the music files in the BGM folder, listening to them, going back to the music box feature in the game, renaming them as necessary. It also may or may not have taken an asslong time because EP1->EP4 (and same story with EP5->EP8) would always contain the previous chapters' files in the same folder along with new stuff, meaning you also had to figure out what was actually new each release.

Man was it worth it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I finally almost all endings of ashen hawk now. Yeah I agree they are slightly disappointing. If I had to suggest changes to this game they would definitely be focused on the general structure of the game (I think but would have been better to have followed 2 or 3 main narrative lines after chapter 4; a lot of the moments are fine by themselves but together they formed a circus of going from LI to LI to LI and that often made the general flow pretty weird); the endings; and the Levi and Franscisca storylines. Francisca needed a little bit of more... nuance to it so she wouldn't come out as completely bipolar or wtv was going on with her. And Levi serial killer plotline made no sense to me and had 0 relevance on the plot since literally everyone completely ignores the plotline as well.
I think this is definitely a case of a game being lesser than the sum of its parts. Because it's parts are really good and a lot of moments are really great (some of the best in otome) but it needed to be structured differently.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm like four clicks into Umineko ch2 because something came up that got me away from a PC all day, but. . . . . is George basically wearing Tomitake's outfit? Except. . . with Tomitake's name on it?

I guess anything is better than a lime green suit.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Oh god I just entered a discussion about honorifics in professionaly done localizations and if they should be left in even in non-Japan settings. Someone slap me out of this why did I ever enter in this fight in a glorious Nippon too complex to be understood fanbase.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 12, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you baka

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I'm sorry really pants-senpai

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

I finally almost all endings of ashen hawk now. Yeah I agree they are slightly disappointing. If I had to suggest changes to this game they would definitely be focused on the general structure of the game (I think but would have been better to have followed 2 or 3 main narrative lines after chapter 4; a lot of the moments are fine by themselves but together they formed a circus of going from LI to LI to LI and that often made the general flow pretty weird); the endings; and the Levi and Franscisca storylines. Francisca needed a little bit of more... nuance to it so she wouldn't come out as completely bipolar or wtv was going on with her. And Levi serial killer plotline made no sense to me and had 0 relevance on the plot since literally everyone completely ignores the plotline as well.
I think this is definitely a case of a game being lesser than the sum of its parts. Because it's parts are really good and a lot of moments are really great (some of the best in otome) but it needed to be structured differently.

Agreed but I'm glad they managed to localize the 2 Psychedelica games before the end. It's a shame we never found out about the witches and other subplots that the intro had but didn't complete later on. I rate it 7/10 stars overall.

Still a lot better than that 7'S nightmare.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Oh yeah I really liked it as well! It's a shame about the flaws but the whole game was pleasurable to play, engaging, kept me wanting to see what happens. I would change stuff to make it a 8 or 9 on the scale because I thought there were problems with the structure and some plots but I did really like it!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Meallan posted:

Oh god I just entered a discussion about honorifics in professionaly done localizations and if they should be left in even in non-Japan settings. Someone slap me out of this why did I ever enter in this fight in a glorious Nippon too complex to be understood fanbase.

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Phoenix Wright translators did nothing wrong and the deeper they have to dig themselves into the hole they are in the funnier I find their work.

The only thing that made blackquill engaging to me is that instead of being a history buff he came off as a huge weaboo fight me

Edit: don't fight me I can only take one internet fight at the same time

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm like four clicks into Umineko ch2 because something came up that got me away from a PC all day, but. . . . . is George basically wearing Tomitake's outfit? Except. . . with Tomitake's name on it?

I guess anything is better than a lime green suit.

George's casual outfit is one of the only stylistic changes they made to the PS3 sprites and for good reason. PS3 version just has him in regular business casual attire.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it got less funny when they found themselves completely unable to translate a game due to all the changes they had previously made.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it got less funny when they found themselves completely unable to translate a game due to all the changes they had previously made.
That just means they weren't trying hard enough.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jokes aside realistically that would be Capcom's call and not the guys responsible for the funny names.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:psyduck:

Super early in Ep 2 of Umineko and already it is blasting my expectations away in new and bizarre ways.

also I'm going to the catchy piano theme for that character stuck in my head forever

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

:psyduck:

Super early in Ep 2 of Umineko and already it is blasting my expectations away in new and bizarre ways.

also I'm going to the catchy piano theme for that character stuck in my head forever

The true Umineko starts here. Enjoy the ride.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 13, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

Oh yeah I really liked it as well! It's a shame about the flaws but the whole game was pleasurable to play, engaging, kept me wanting to see what happens. I would change stuff to make it a 8 or 9 on the scale because I thought there were problems with the structure and some plots but I did really like it!

Any new otome you're looking into the next few months? I'm looking at the London Mysteria but eh art is not my cup of tea. I've been thinking of revisiting OELVN out of boredom too.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
London game also doesn't have my kind of art but I think I'll buy it all the same if plot is above average. Otherwise I never really check what otomes I would want the most to be localized since it's the source of great disappointment sometimes. I expect though that the next ones will be among the ones otomate is releasing on the switch this year/next year.
I refuse to play bad apple wars or period cube until a goon recommends it.

Oh god I want that game so much.
But I don't think they could have ever feasibly have predicted they would run into this; and even if they had it would probably still be better to make all the changes they did because name puns are the soul of PW games (which in turn forced their hand to make the game in not Japan because why would all these people in Japan have clearly not Japanese names).
But yeah the user above me is right when it was simply capcom that didn't give the team any chance to attempt localization. And I bet at least 98% of the playerbase wouldn't have minded a sort of "hey did you know my great grandad was from Japan?" Twist. I mean Apollo got far worse as convulted hidden pasts go.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 13, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh my god would I love for all the Very Japanese characters to inexplicably be cowboys so journeying to the UK to learn good law could make a modicum of sense.

Yes, cowboys with katanas that commit seppuku in court. And wear robes. Eat your hamburgers.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Not even speaking about PW rn but I would so play that game tbh

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the weirdest thing about PW is how in apollo justice they bent over backwards to give an elaborate explanation for why the truth bracelets that only worked with apollo/his family were NOT MAGIC when the first trilogy has psychics who channel spirits within the first 5 minutes and an entire minigame about unlocking people's souls to find the truth

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Only Nick gets super powers because he's an inferior attorney.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this winter we're getting a new When they Cry, (title unknown), and a Umineko collection with all prior episodes plus a new bonus scenario under the name Umineko Saku (the rest of the title abridged)

https://twitter.com/07th_official/status/1018148111254896642

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
How long does it take generally for a When they cry title to get translated? I'm really looking forward to this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So much has changed in the VN translation scene, both unofficial and official, since Umineko was coming out episode-by-episode, that it's hard to say. Fan TLs took about 6 months per Umineko episode back in the day (usually just enough time to get one out before the next EP would come out in Comiket) and it appears that MangaGamer is going through Higurashi at about two chapters a year as well. More importantly, it depends on whether any company or group picks it up right off the bat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

A part of me wants to wait until good art happens, but another part really wants to get into the release-by-release speculation that I missed out on for both Higurashi and Umineko. This is rough.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cake Attack posted:

this winter we're getting a new When they Cry, (title unknown), and a Umineko collection with all prior episodes plus a new bonus scenario under the name Umineko Saku (the rest of the title abridged)

https://twitter.com/07th_official/status/1018148111254896642

Oh my loving god I am ready

I wonder if Witch Hunt is even still around? It probably doesn't matter. Some fangroup will pick it up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raxivace posted:

OTOH the idea of sitting through some of those George and Shannon scenes again seems like a bit much for me.

I'm not sure if this is related to whatever specific problem you had, but (umineko spoilers) those scenes are supposed to be really uncomfortable, because George isn't a very good person. There's also a lot going on on Shannon's end that makes sense once you understand everything.

It's also worth mentioning that Umineko does not explicitly explain everything. It gives who the culprit is, but never explicitly explains the full nature of their motive, and it seems like most players do not pick up on this on their own unless they spend a long time thinking about the game afterwards (there's only one line that directly references the biggest source of the motive, and many people end up with the false impression that Battler not returning was the only (or biggest) factor. I would strongly recommend this blog (http://goatsreadingseacats.tumblr.com/) for a reading of the game with a correct understanding of it in mind (with only a couple minor exceptions, like understandably being wrong about one minor detail of the Episode 3 murders).

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Yeah don't worry about it too much, it's a "mystery" in the sense of there are mystery trappings but it tends to other genres more later & you're not going to have actually spoiled the whole thing unless you started reading detailed character summaries or something (& even then I still think it would be well worth the read)

To add to this, I was spoiled on the culprit fairly early (around episode 2 or 3) and it didn't negatively impact my playing of the game much at all. Mostly for the reasons you mention - the fact that the specific mechanics of the murders aren't the core of the mystery.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 14, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

A part of me wants to wait until good art happens, but another part really wants to get into the release-by-release speculation that I missed out on for both Higurashi and Umineko. This is rough.

Assuming it’s even a mystery. But either way, I’m all in for the bad art/discussion. MangaGamer might pick it up for translation as soon as it comes out, right? They should have finished the main arcs of Higurashi by then. e: Actually, I guess they probably won’t have finished Matsuribayashi by then...

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 14, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

So much has changed in the VN translation scene, both unofficial and official, since Umineko was coming out episode-by-episode, that it's hard to say. Fan TLs took about 6 months per Umineko episode back in the day (usually just enough time to get one out before the next EP would come out in Comiket) and it appears that MangaGamer is going through Higurashi at about two chapters a year as well. More importantly, it depends on whether any company or group picks it up right off the bat.

It took MangaGamer over a year to release Episode 6 of Higurashi, so who knows with them. But yeah, you're right. Things are completely different now compared to back then. I would not trust a fan group in 2019 to handle this translation well. I also don't trust MG, the English publisher closest to 07th, to get this out in a timely manner. So may end up having to wait a few years, or being subjected to some abysmal fan translation done by some guy with a couple of semesters of community college japanese.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So may end up having to wait a few years, or being subjected to some abysmal fan translation done by some guy with a couple of semesters of community college japanese.

That sounds like part of the fun

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
TBF to MangaGamer I think Higurashi 6 took so long to come out because they decided to put out Umineko 5-8 instead.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the people who fan translated them originally were largely absorbed into Mangagamer, so it's basically whether they choose to pick it up and how fast they do it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

being subjected to some abysmal fan translation done by some guy with a couple of semesters of community college japanese.
I'll get to work

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Assuming it’s even a mystery.

Don't toy with my heart here.

Good lord I can't wait. Umineko keeps getting weirder and more up my alley. Just read through the part in chapter two with Kanon and the goddamn (real weird spoiler) lightsaber hand-battles.

Also, Battler has very quickly become one of my favorite protagonists in anything ever. After Keiichi, it's nice having someone so ruthlessly logical looking at the case with the reader.

E: it's really funny that a very (superficially) similar element in Chaos;Child kind of annoyed me even in spite of the rest of the fantastical stuff but in Umineko it's just so weird that it pulls me in deeper

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 14, 2018

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
At the time Witch Hunt's translations of Umineko were considered exceptional, much better than the vast majority of professional translations; not on the level of the Ace Attorney localisations, but still highly regarded for their effort and understanding of the subtleties. It's strange that opinions seem to have shifted so much on them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really? I wasn't really aware of an overall shift in opinion, unless you mean some of the retranslation efforts like that bizarre Umineko Project group. Most retrospective criticism if there was any was maybe on rewording things that were meant to be subtle clues to future reveals, which Witch Hunt could not have known at the time, and maybe some of the liberties they took with some of the speaking quirks later characters used.

Also am I misremembering things, but wasn't there a weird issue when Manga Gamer first picked up Umineko (but well before their Steam releases) and tried to get Witch Hunt shut down only for 07th Expansion themselves to come to their defense?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Also am I misremembering things, but wasn't there a weird issue when Manga Gamer first picked up Umineko (but well before their Steam releases) and tried to get Witch Hunt shut down only for 07th Expansion themselves to come to their defense?

There was. Mangagamer assumed that they had negotiated an exclusive license with 07th, as is normal practice, but actually Witch Hunt had official permission to translate the games too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think Witch Hunt was absorbed into MangaGamer. Witch Hunt maintained independence and actually became the people mostly in charge of the MangaGamer version of the localization. I know they at least did another pass over the game and dictated all of the major localization decisions.

Anyway, I'm rereading the Umineko Project version right now, actually, which is also based on the Witch Hunt translation. Umineko Project had a fairly minimal impact on the script. They fixed some mistranslations, typos, and other errors, including some stuff that was never fixed in the MangaGamer version. The MangaGamer version seems to make more changes to the prose itself with more wording changes and such to make it read better. So, the UP version focused on making it more accurate and technically sound, while the MangaGamer version focused on making it read more eloquently. Unfortunately, neither version does away with Witch Hunt's bizarre punctuation choices (an ellipsis following a comma is an affront to god).

So, from what I'm reading of the UP version, I can say that, even without the improvements the MG version brings, the Witch Hunt translation was definitely one of the better fan translations out there. And it was definitely better than most official releases of its time. It's still pretty stiff in a lot of spots, though. You'll see some notable stock translations of certain japanese phrases/words that feel out of place and occasional other odd translations. There was still a lot of room for improvement, which is why they focused on doing so for the official release.

edit: For those unaware, the "Umineko Project" being referenced is this: https://umineko-project.org/en/

It's a project that aims to create a perfect 1:1 port of the PS3 version to PC. The MangaGamer version allowed modders to add the PS3 version's assets though, making it look and sound like the PS3 version without all that rigamarole. But the UP version still has several features the modded MG version doesn't have, such as animated rain, background shaking and other such minor special effects, animated text in some spots, and lip syncing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 14, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I feel like I have a super different read on the characters of Umineko compared to some here :allears: but I think that's part of what makes it a great novel. Like, you can structure a whole course around Harry Potter or GoT but they've got nothing on this.

specifically I'm just looking at that re-read tumblr linked, I think it's a fun analysis and they raise some good points but I really disagree with a lot of their specific reads so far

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Umineko: There actually is a full explanation for everything that happens in the VN, you just need to watch the 10 hour long series of YouTube videos narrated by a smug German atheist