Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/lauriepink/status/1017806173465141248

Trump got counter-handshook by one of the Queen's ladies in waiting.

e: cuter critter. original https://farm1.staticflickr.com/527/32153561420_c5a4c170b7_b.jpg

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

Calling on him to cancel a meeting he isn't going to cancel isn't leadership or particularly effective politics.

They're trying really hard to be effective in all this mess. Decorum is hard burden. To hold when you're the only party willing to conduct it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

So is this a grift thing or just because a lot of Democratic pols are old?

If it's pouring buttloads of money into TV ads, it's grift.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

RuanGacho posted:

Greater than potential foreign meddling and domestic disenfranchisement?

You really don't see the issue with mail-in voting with how corrupt our own government has been shown to be?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nonsense posted:

I wish Greenwald cared as much about his other causes as he does about appearing on Tucker Carlson to prove Russia is actually a good country.

Russia, at least in major cities, is decent nowadays and Russian people are fine.

Attacking the Russian economy in revenge for the hacking is a loving stupid idea.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 14, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RuanGacho posted:

Greater than potential foreign meddling and domestic disenfranchisement?

No. Just pointing out it isn't a perfect solution.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"i need to build electric cars to combat climate change!!"

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are issues with exploitation and voter coercion.

Mind elaborating a bit?

There are states that already use 100% vote-by-mail, and we really haven't seen any big public problems.

Proof of voting a certain way, for vote selling or because of intimidation, is also an issue with in-person voting. Most people carry cameras into the voting booth.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ardennes posted:

Actual Russia, at least in major cities is pretty good nowadays and Russian people are fine.

Not really, no.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s the average male life expectancy down to these days?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Fallom posted:

What’s the average male life expectancy down to these days?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No. Just pointing out it isn't a perfect solution.

Nothing probably can be but until we have perfect identity control it's our best option.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I mean it's clear that Trump is still colluding with Russia in the hope that they will help him and his party in 2018 and 2020. Democrats should say that.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Groovelord Neato posted:

"i need to build electric cars to combat climate change!!"

To be fair, he has donated sporadically to politicians all over the spectrum, with more money going to Democrats.

This is one of those “rich people things” that seems common, I don’t really get, but probably has something to do with making a few thousand dollar donation each time you meet with (any politican) in the hopes of getting something in return.

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Elon+Musk

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
California passed the Voters Choice Act in 2017. That created voting centers that:

Are open 10 days prior to voting day
Same day voting on registration
Vote by mail ballots
Which gives 29 days to vote by mail

This is for every election

Sacramento county started it this year and it's already seen a rise in voter turnout.

But it didn't stop a couple of lovely politicians from claiming victory before all the mail by ballots were counted.

This is spreading to the entire state by 2020.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm being fair. as chomsky said the republican party is the most dangerous organization to ever exist (the nazis weren't trying to destroy the ability for humanity to exist on this planet). giving any money to them means you want future generations to live in a blasted hellscape.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Not really, no.

I actually live there, in comparison, things have gotten significantly better over the last couple years. Not just in Moscow but a lot of regional cities as well.

I would say the average American is almost certainly more racist.

Their our geopolitical rival and everything, but it doesn't actually mean they bad people or their country is "poo poo."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/eug541/status/1018166465403457539

can see why the thin skinned buffoon blocked me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ardennes posted:

I actually live there, in comparison, things have gotten significantly better over the last couple years. Not just in Moscow but a lot of regional cities as well.

I would say the average American is almost certainly more racist.

Their our geopolitical rival and everything, but it doesn't actually mean they bad people or their country is "poo poo."

It’s easy to appear less racist when no minorities actually live anywhere near you and the topic never comes up. Look at Scandinavia. But then a couple thousand refugees are admitted into the country and boom, people show their true nativist colors.

Also how do you feel about how Russians view LGBT people vs how Americans do?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Space Gopher posted:

Mind elaborating a bit?

There are states that already use 100% vote-by-mail, and we really haven't seen any big public problems.

Proof of voting a certain way, for vote selling or because of intimidation, is also an issue with in-person voting. Most people carry cameras into the voting booth.

I'm on phone so can't dig up links right now, but there have been issues with people intercepting spouse's mail and voting for them, etc., As you say, it's isolated incidents not systemic. I support vote by mail options but think we need in person voting options to be available as well.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Ornedan posted:

https://twitter.com/lauriepink/status/1017806173465141248

Trump got counter-handshook by one of the Queen's ladies in waiting.

e: cuter critter. original https://farm1.staticflickr.com/527/32153561420_c5a4c170b7_b.jpg

Don't come for the Queen unless you want the ladies. He truly is a weak man.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ekeog posted:

nothing should surprise me at this point but

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1018132817979600896

It's pretty obvious that "anti-Islamic" views IS the type of "religious freedom" they're defending now. Along with anti-LGBTQ views and other bigotry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

religious freedom is a euphemism for christian theocracy. it's the most frustrating term to me nowadays.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s easy to appear less racist when no minorities actually live anywhere near you and the topic never comes up. Look at Scandinavia. But then a couple thousand refugees are admitted into the country and boom, people show their true nativist colors.

Also how do you feel about how Russians view LGBT people vs how Americans do?

Russia has visual minorities, Russia itself is about 80% ethnically Russian (there are plenty of other ethnicities) and there are also migrants from Central Asia on top of that. It isn't that racism doesn't exist either, but it is much deep at the core of American society.

I would say more clearly negative, but probably not that different than Americans in 1990s (there were still sodomy laws in the US remember in 1990s). The younger generation is more accepting about it.

It is one of those things where we are in many ways more alike each other than really different.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 14, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Siljmonster posted:

Leadership would be pushing all Democrats to act, not pity calling the president on Twitter.

This is the best we can get so you just got to accept it and do your best to throw your support behind our leadership. No one here likes Chuck Schumer but you have to understand that this is just the way things are and despite our reservations about him it's very probable that he knows best. If you were an adult and not a child you would need these things explain to you, but thankfully those of us who are adults are here to hold your hand and talk you through these confusing times.

/sarc off

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we rely on the present Democratic Leadership to see us through this crisis, America will fall to fascism. The only thing that modern Democratic Leadership conceptually understands is how to manage a status quo that no longer exists. Any action they take or decision they make is done within the context of their mistaken belief that the old status quo still exists (or that the old status quo can be reinstated).

Leadership is not demanding that a tyrant do something that you know he isn't going to do. That's an empty gesture meant to imitate the appearance of leadership, not actual leadership.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 14, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What exactly can Democrats do to force the President, who is already overseas, to not meet with another Head of State?

Maybe Manchin should get into a fighter jet and shoot down Air Force One while en route.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 14, 2018

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/gabrielleisback/status/1018182141275000832

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Democrats got more votes in 2016 so I'm not sure what the point is supposed to be here.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/GraemeDemianyk/status/1017860472664723458

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What exactly can Democrats do to force the President, who is already overseas, to not meet with another Head of State?

What kind of an asinine standard is this? Seriously. It's not about forcing the president's hand- leadership is about turning yourself into a focal point to direct action from a broad coalition of people. Schumer or Pelosi could be out organizing Rally's or giving speeches or doing loving any creative thing to obstruct the genocidal agenda of a white supremacist president. That would be actual leadership.

Chuck's statement amounts to nothing more than virtue signaling. Further, it demonstrates that he has absolutely no concept of what an appropriate response from a leader would be in this situation. It's patently obvious that our president is compromised by a hostile foreign power, why in the name of God would you demand that said compromised agent insist that the foreign power that is compromised him turn over intelligence assets for criminal prosecution within our country? What what benefit is there to that action?

It looks like leadership, it seems like the kind of thing a leader would say in a situation like this. And Chuck Schumer, being a fat old rich white man who's never missed a meal in his life- has no concept of what actual leadership is. So he's just going through the motions. He isn't thinking deeply about anything beyond how to get the situation back to the status quo that he understands how to manage.

That is extremely dangerous for our country right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

*Narrator voice* He never got better.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Both headlines are used, the shortened one is for sidebars and I read it as "sure, he's all those things, but ultimately he's an insider [bootlicker]"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ardennes posted:

Russia has visual minorities
Just give them some time. They are almost done getting rid of the Chechens.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
They really don't like Central Asian minorities. Source: some of my relatives living there are Central-Asian minorities. Or gay people. Remember how any pro-LGBT information is considered propaganda that is turning their children gay?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Hey threadfriends, I have the opportunity to name two new SSIDs somewhere in the heart of a super-trumpy suburban neighborhood.

I need some advice on Network names.

So far, I'm thinking something along the lines of "Gay Space Communist WiFi 69 420" Or "Kompromaccess Point" or "Mueller's FBI Surveillance Network" or maybe just Piss Tape.

Suggestions?

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Hey threadfriends, I have the opportunity to name two new SSIDs somewhere in the heart of a super-trumpy suburban neighborhood.

So far, I'm thinking something along the lines of "Gay Space Communist WiFi 69 420" Or "Kompromaccess Point" or "Mueller's FBI Surveillance Network" or maybe just Piss Tape.

Suggestions?

Soros Reeducation Camp

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Suggestions?

george soros APpreciation station

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Suggestions?

Flowers By Irene

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Suggestions?

The Missing Server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Suggestions?

We called ours "Underground FEMA Bunker" for a while.

• Locked thread