Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Moustace Mountain (C) vs The Undisputed Era for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT 7/11

Great match, the duelling chants by the crowd was annoying but they forgot all about that as the crowd picked up and they started reacting. The story of the end of the match was handled really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Juice Robinson vs Switchblade, best match of the show and Josh Barnett's roid rage did not hurt the match one bit.

Agreed, and HM for Hiromu/Lee and LIJ/Bucks

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Moustace Mountain (C) vs The Undisputed Era for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT 7/11

Great match, the duelling chants by the crowd was annoying but they forgot all about that as the crowd picked up and they started reacting. The story of the end of the match was handled really well.

Second. I thought everyone involved did an excellent job setting up that finish, including the ref and the commentators.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Definitely agreed, it was pretty awesome match with the kind of storytelling that in the WWE, only NXT actually manages to do. Taking away the annoying crowd and adding maybe 5 more minutes in the middle and this might have been MOTYC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Valiente and Volador Jr vs Los Ingobernables (7/13 CMLL)

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Valiente and Volador Jr vs Los Ingobernables (7/13 CMLL)

2nd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax 2018 Night 1 - 7/14
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Switchblade Jay White - G1 Climax 2018 Night 1 - 7/14

The former was a great callback to their match earlier in the year where Suzuki brutalized Tanahashi, and the latter was a continuation of Knife Pervert's scumbag ways and the ongoing weirdness of Okada dealing with no longer being a living God. Real good start to G1.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Jerusalem posted:

2nd

Suzuki and Tana are really good meanwhile Jay White has become Edge.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The former was a great callback to their match earlier in the year where Suzuki brutalized Tanahashi, and the latter was a continuation of Knife Pervert's scumbag ways and the ongoing weirdness of Okada dealing with no longer being a living God. Real good start to G1.
:same:, shame the crowd didn’t help them feel like HM matches (especially the main)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

Yes to these both

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yes to both. All in all the show as a whole was really good. I enjoyed Yoshi/Makabe as well which...kinda shocked me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Suzuki/Tana, G1 Night One

I wish there was a Most Overwrought And Tiresome Match Of The Year, because it would be unfair to say that Okada/White was a Worst Match contender, but jeez.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

HM: Suzuki/Tana, G1 Night One

I wish there was a Most Overwrought And Tiresome Match Of The Year, because it would be unfair to say that Okada/White was a Worst Match contender, but jeez.

lol OK buddy. It wasn't overly long and told a good little story with some good work from both guys.

HM: White vs Okada
HM: Tanahashi vs Suzuki

Yoshi vs Makabe and Evil vs Elgin were both worth watching. Fale vs Hangman was actually good while it lasted too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've seen people complain that the finish to Page/Fale made no sense, but it was pretty obvious to me: 1. Page had Fale ready for the Rite Of Passage, he was about to win, so who cares if he gets the points for a DQ instead of a pin, at least the Firing Squad can hurt him in the former and 2. the Tongans probably care more about Tama getting points than Fale, as the big man has made it pretty clear he's cool being the underboss, not the top dog.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

lol OK buddy. It wasn't overly long and told a good little story with some good work from both guys.

HM: White vs Okada
HM: Tanahashi vs Suzuki

Yoshi vs Makabe and Evil vs Elgin were both worth watching. Fale vs Hangman was actually good while it lasted too.

This is close my opinion. YOSHI/Makabe and EVIL/Elgin had HM potential. Okada/Jay was nowhere near as overwrought as both Omega/Cody matches or Gargano/Ciampa II.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This is close my opinion. YOSHI/Makabe and EVIL/Elgin had HM potential. Okada/Jay was nowhere near as overwrought as both Omega/Cody matches or Gargano/Ciampa II.

I want to see Okada's "Why am I so violent face".

Without Mauro screaming MAMA MIA or whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I want to see Okada's "Why am I so violent face".

Without Mauro screaming MAMA MIA or whatever.

Probably Don screaming at him to murder Gedo. Or Chono wiping away a tear of pride.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed

Jay White is so much better as the scumbag heel than he was at the Tokyo Domo can't wait for him to face Tanahashi again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MOTYC Ishii vs YTR, G1 Night 2
MOTYC Ibushi vs ZSJ G1 Night 2

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 15, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr., G1 Climax 7/15

Just a loving phenomenal match, both guys were a perfect foil to each others' styles

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Benne posted:

Just a loving phenomenal match, both guys were a perfect foil to each others' styles

nth

These guys are both incredible but they have absolutely unreal chemistry together. 3 matches in New Japan over a year and all of them were incredible.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

moty ibushi sabre
hm goto sanada

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

Yes, nth'd

But also
HM: Toru Yano vs Tomohiro Ishii, G1 Climax 7/16

Can't say I loved it enough for MOTYC shout out but it was a really great and fun showing from Yano with (most) of the shenanigans turned off.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MOTYC Kenny Omega vs Tetsuya Naito, G1 Night 2

God drat :stare:

This G1 is off to an amazing start

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

jesus WEP posted:

2nd

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

duh

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

jesus WEP posted:

MOTYC Ishii vs YTR, G1 Night 2
MOTYC Ibushi vs ZSJ G1 Night 2

jesus WEP posted:

This G1 is off to an amazing start

nth to all of these

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Ishii/YTR
HM: Goto/SANADA
MOTYC: Ibushi/ZSJ
MOTYC: Omega/Naito

A massive step up from night one

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

g1 night 2 b block
hm:ibushi vs zsj
hm: omega vs naito
worst match of the year: ishii vs YTR

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Nth

Holy poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It doesn't matter based on the nominations already in, but I'd say HM for ZSJ/Ibushi.

Absolutely agreed on MOTYC for Naito/Omega though. Holy poo poo.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Seconding all of these.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

nthing this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, J-Ru, am I halucinating or do you have Suzuki/Okada from the Great Pirate Festival on the WMOTY list?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, J-Ru, am I halucinating or do you have Suzuki/Okada from the Great Pirate Festival on the WMOTY list?

I did yes, no idea how that happened sorry. Fixed it now, thanks for noticing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Two non-G1 recommendations to break things up

MOTYC: The Aggression (Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya) vs. Hideyoshi Kamitani & Takuya Nomura - Riki Choshu Produce - Power Hall Vol. 2: Battle of Another Dimension (7/10)

Since turning heel, Katsuhiko Nakajima has been one of the best things in wrestling, unfortunately in a promotion that nobody watches. Here he demonstrates the best of his absolute dickhead qualities and his frustrations at the failure of his run as ace of NOAH on a couple of BJW young boys. The ending where Nakajima absolutely beats the poo poo out of Nomura for the knock out finish had my mouth agape for the entire two minute stretch.

HM: Maya Yukihi & Mayumi Ozaki vs. Kakeru Sekiguchi & Sonoko Kato - Oz Academy Rude in June (6/3)

Ozaki is the owner of the promotion (the Oz in Oz Academy) and stacks the deck heavily in her favour in this match with more whips and chains than a sex dungeon, Alex Lee in her team's corner, Mio Shirai doing a heel referee gimmick and a policeman who at one point intervenes to deliver a shining wizard to her opponents. (And apparently has his own fans with a few 'POLICE' t-shirts among the crowd).

Sekiguchi does an excellent job as the face in peril, especially once she gets bloodied, with Kato as her badass partner coming in to face off against the impossible odds. In the end the odds prove too much for Sekiguchi after an INCREDIBLY slow count from Mio with some theatrics that have to be seen and Ozaki finishes her off with the Tequila Sunrise

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Omega/Naito

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Nth to all with Goto/SANADA being the most surprising of the bunch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC: Ishii vs YTR
MOTYC: Omega vs Naito
MOTYC: ZSJ vs Ibushi
HM: Goto vs Sanada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
YANO! TO! RU! :D

MOTYC for YTR/Ishii, ZSJ/Ibushi and Naito/Omega, HM for SANADA/Goto.

(My head says the Yano match wasn't that great, but my heart says it was.)