Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MizPiz posted:

It was something that was forced to happen by Disney, no one can convince me otherwise.

The thing that annoys me most is how all the main characters got delayed deaths. If Thanos had done his thing it should have all happened at the same time, the infinity gauntlet shouldn't have bandwidth problems where there's a queue for people disintegrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It also doesn't actually matter in super hero stories if somebody dies. Chances are if the character is popular enough that people care they'll be back.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It also doesn't actually matter in super hero stories if somebody dies. Chances are if the character is popular enough that people care they'll be back.

Exactly. This is why i was just like :shrug: after the end of infinity war. Like yeah a lot of people just died but there's no way a comic book franchise will let it last so why should i even care. Every single one of those people who died will come back.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a magic trick. All that matters is if they managed to make you have an emotional response at the moment. Nothing holds up to scrutiny later. Also a bunch of the actors' contracts are finished and they are definitely not coming back.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I would be happy if most of the characters in the avengers died. Like who gives a poo poo if you have a guy who can shoot an arrow good or a guy who can shot web or a guy with good technology when you have actual gods and wizards? The battle with Thanos should have just been Thor and dr strange because everyone else was 100% irrelevant.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I would be happy if most of the characters in the avengers died. Like who gives a poo poo if you have a guy who can shoot an arrow good or a guy who can shot web or a guy with good technology when you have actual gods and wizards? The battle with Thanos should have just been Thor and dr strange because everyone else was 100% irrelevant.

Don’t talk poo poo bout cap nazi scum

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

All he has is a good shield and is more fit than most people. Take his shield away and he's just some buff dude.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He played tug of war with a helicopter and won

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

fruit on the bottom posted:

Dude represents the dissonance between being a white supremacist fighting against a white supremacist ideology. That's why he can be antifascist and a Hydra double agent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

yeah I'm surprised that Cap doesn't hate the japs

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What if spidey was with captain America at the end and was like I don’t feel good mister Rogers so it sounds like mr Rogers the kids tv host guy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I almost entirely forgot who supposedly died and who didn't the second I left the theater. It all felt ultimately meaningless, like everything that happens in a Marvel movie, because they will just retcon whatever they want when it's convenient for them. Tbh I'm fully expecting a huge twist that is just as dumb as the ending to Infinity War and none of that poo poo will have mattered, or you find out Iron man is actually the one that is dead because RDJ doesn't want to do the character anymore.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The infinity gauntlet has the power to just miracle everybody back so it's like...somebody will go take it somehow and miracle everybody back. It's dumb.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
John Lenon sucks. He's only remembered because he was killed and married an attention whore.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The infinity gauntlet has the power to just miracle everybody back so it's like...somebody will go take it somehow and miracle everybody back. It's dumb.

Even if he was confident he could keep it, killing half just doesn't make sense. Everyone hates him. Why wouldn't you kill everyone and recreate the universe as you see fit? It was a super-contrived thing for some avengers to die and some not die. If Thanos was a real thing there would be no time for i don't feel so good, everyone would disappear and he'd reboot it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The only people who like Inifity War (and the new Star Wars, for that matter) are wannabe nerds

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MizPiz posted:

The only people who like Inifity War (and the new Star Wars, for that matter) are wannabe nerds

Having an opinion on people based on their reaction to utterly meaningless pulp entertainment is tiresome and and a poor substitute for a personality.

Hydra scum.

Mu Zeta posted:

yeah I'm surprised that Cap doesn't hate the japs

Superman sure does!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It kinda undercuts the drama when you know several of the dead characters have sequels in the works

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

grittyreboot posted:

It kinda undercuts the drama when you know several of the dead characters have sequels in the works

I wonder how the conversations between the film studio and the marketing teams went

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MizPiz posted:

John Lenon sucks. He's only remembered because he was killed and married an attention whore.

I tend to agree with the exception of Imagine.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I remember liking a fair number of the tracks on this but it’s possible that maybe doesn’t count.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The thing that annoys me most is how all the main characters got delayed deaths. If Thanos had done his thing it should have all happened at the same time, the infinity gauntlet shouldn't have bandwidth problems where there's a queue for people disintegrating.

Thanos did it like that on purpose, for the drama and the lols. Judging by various other things he's done he's clearly a great connoisseur of both.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MizPiz posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s because he was the co-lead songwriter in the most beloved band that ever existed

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s because he was the co-lead songwriter in the most beloved band that ever existed

Paul isn't even close to being the type of mythical figure John is

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I know I've seen something about Gwen Stacy being alive in the past ten years and it was pretty :eyepop: because she and Bucky were literally the only characters from my childhood that people thought of as really dead. (Besides Dracula and Hell Cow I guess.)

e: Forgot about Jean Grey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I tend to agree with the exception of Imagine.

Imagine is easily Lennon's worst song.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
I'm glad I was born in a world where John Lennon is dead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nsync made more enjoyable songs than the Beatles did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jerry Cotton posted:

I know I've seen something about Gwen Stacy being alive in the past ten years and it was pretty :eyepop: because she and Bucky were literally the only characters from my childhood that people thought of as really dead. (Besides Dracula and Hell Cow I guess.)

e: Forgot about Jean Grey.

I remember there used to be a saying that no one ever stayed dead in comic books except for Uncle Ben, Bucky Barnes, and Jason Todd.

Anyway, Spider-Man can’t catch a break.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How the gently caress did I forget Uncle Ben :doh: I guess the reason is he never was much of a character since unlike Gwen and Bucky he only appeared in the first story to be killed off?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

How the gently caress did I forget Uncle Ben :doh: I guess the reason is he never was much of a character since unlike Gwen and Bucky he only appeared in the first story to be killed off?

If a character's entire purpose is to die and inspire a hero then they'll stay dead. Batman's parents are another one; Batman is more important to the story than his parents. If his parents don't die he doesn't become Batman so his parents stay dead. But Batman? He can't die.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If a character's entire purpose is to die and inspire a hero then they'll stay dead. Batman's parents are another one; Batman is more important to the story than his parents. If his parents don't die he doesn't become Batman so his parents stay dead. But Batman? He can't die.

Batman's dad isn't really even a character since literally the only thing I as a reader knew about him was that he's the biggest dumb-rear end in town and if he wasn't so god-drat in love with money and possessions, his wife would still be alive.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
For awhile Barry Allen was also on the Do Not Resurrect list because he had such a good, sacrificial send off in Crisis on Infinite Earths which paved the way for the mantle to be passed on to Wally West and other speedsters.
Then Geoff Johns had to crap all over that so that comics could be the same way they were when he was a kid.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are many movies based on books that are better than the book they are based on

I know this is from a page ago, but: I read all the James Bond books a long time ago, and I'm trying to figure out which ones were better than the movie afterwards. The best books generally were ones where the movie stuck relatively close (From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service), then ones that changed key points (Goldfinger: instead of nuking Fort Knox, his plan was just to rob it using the mob), and finally ones where the producers completely changed everything (The Spy Who Loved Me, You Only Live Twice).

PHUO: Diamonds Are Forever is a good Bond movie, and Moonraker is dumb, but fun if you remember it was made in the post-Star Wars sci-fi boom.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
daphne is hotter than velma

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

daphne is the dog, right

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

For the cartoon this is true, for hot girl cosplay I'd say it's a 50/50 shot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone that likes those remix videos of hysterical black people on the news is likely racist. Enjoy your cartoonish caricatures of people that dehumanizes them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are several alt-universe versions of Batman's dad where he is Batman instead of Bruce Wayne (and they have interacted with the main version of Batman).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think Gwen Stacy might be one of the few non-origin characters to have died and stayed dead, sans the alternate universe versions. Although the most prominent one comes from a universe where Peter Parker died so at least that’s interesting.