Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its incredibly cringe but non-main characters almost make it worth watching

It was a decent encapsulation of what certain sorts wished politics to be back in the early 2000s, and yeah the supporting cast carried a disproportionate amount of the weight due to how unbearably smug the most of the leads were written as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its incredibly cringe but non-main characters almost make it worth watching

I saw someone post a character speech plastered on a background the other day on Facebook and it was about respecting your opponents' views and the friend was musing that we need a return to that concept in politics

And that's about my extent with the show but that sounded like a very :decorum: kinda thing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Skypie posted:

I saw someone post a character speech plastered on a background the other day on Facebook and it was about respecting your opponents' views and the friend was musing that we need a return to that concept in politics

And that's about my extent with the show but that sounded like a very :decorum: kinda thing

that was almost certainly a main character, the cool ones like donna or charlie never get brought up

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
at least you ge to see what an assassination attempt on Rahm Emmanuel would look like.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh god i forgot the assassination kicked off the terrible MS storyline

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

glenn greenwald is usually right, eg. that america... is bad, but he's let that preclude the possibility of "something occurs in which the USA suffers in any way, shape, or form can still be bad". thanks for reading my opinion. bernie would have won. succ

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh also my parents watched a fuckload of west wing when I was young and even then I knew it was masturbatory bullshit :smuggo:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Were there storylines about stamping out unions

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Skypie posted:

yes lmao. i distinctly remembering toby telling the AFL-CIO to suck it after bartlet signed a chinese NAFTA

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i've never seen a single episode of west wing, but i see it on netflix so i'm going to watch episode one after my second or third blue moon

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

if they can edit TWW to be only CJ, it's good.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Skypie posted:

There's one where the President basically declares the market to be infallible and compares trying to do anything at all to help American workers to be analogous to King Canute ordering the incoming tide to recede. This is meant to be deep and meaningful.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mnoba posted:

i've never seen a single episode of west wing, but i see it on netflix so i'm going to watch episode one after my second or third blue moon

its really not worth it, but godspeed. nobody gets to tell you how to spend your time.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Skypie posted:

The thing about this statement is that no matter how much decorum people deliver, like "I am taking the high road or not airing any attack ads" is already a common phrase, or maybe they want "let us respectfully agree to disagree, sir", they will still be saying we need a return to decorum in politics because it's just a platitude used to self-aggrandize.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

if you want peak succ :decorum: tww, go watch the episode where the nominate the liberal and conservative sc justices.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mnoba posted:

the first episode is like the worst way to get introduce to the show fwiw. partly because it half focuses on a character who just straight up disappears after the first season lol. watch In Excelsis Deo instead. it still has cringe lib moments but is also probably the characters at their best

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the first episode is like the worst way to get introduce to the show fwiw. partly because it half focuses on a character who just straight up disappears after the first season lol. watch In Excelsis Deo instead. it still has cringe lib moments but is also probably the characters at their best

isn't that the one where josh insults a right wing catholic on tv and the president gets mad at him?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I think it's one of the episodes where the president owns god.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
d.... duterte?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yes lmao. i distinctly remembering toby telling the AFL-CIO to suck it after bartlet signed a chinese NAFTA

Peak 2000s era dialogue then.

As a union guy, lemme just say I'm over these platitudes and poo poo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

isn't that the one where josh insults a right wing catholic on tv and the president gets mad at him?

that;s the pilot/episode 1, in exlecis deo is about toby arranging the funeral of a homeless vet and CJ trying to get support for a hate crimes bill

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

there's an episode of the west wing where they gut social security lol it really is this fantasy about a second clinton presidency

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i will never not lol that bartlet's big winning policy, that he literally pins his relection on, is a tax credit for college tuition.

that they then promptly never bring up or attempt to pass the moment the election is over lmfao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

America Works

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

to truly understand the lib, watch west wing

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
west wing is exactly like harry potter

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

didn't Obama's assistant go "I'm like Charlie" IRL? I still laugh about that sometimes.

on the show, Charlie loves charter schools

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i will never not lol that bartlet's big winning policy, that he literally pins his relection on, is a tax credit for college tuition.

that they then promptly never bring up or attempt to pass the moment the election is over lmfao

Same deal with that late season bit where the leads, sans Bartlet, all gather and Leo gives his "we can accomplish more in 100 days than we will for the rest of our lives after we leave the White House" speech and they all start brainstorming progressive-ish things the administration should pursue in its remaining time in office.

Literally none of it ever gets mentioned again for the rest of the series even in passing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

tbf most of that season was focused on the santos/vinnick campaigns

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

More infosec than succ but the thread discusses lanyards turning down free consulting cause 'it was too hard' before the breach

https://twitter.com/dotMudge/status/1017942408284254208

Specifically:

https://twitter.com/dotMudge/status/1017947905058070529

https://twitter.com/dotMudge/status/1017949169619595264

https://twitter.com/dotMudge/status/1017950879373320193

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

infosucc

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf most of that season was focused on the santos/vinnick campaigns

Well sure by that point it was all campaign stuff with a side of "will he pardon Toby?!" but seriously they couldn't even have the odd reference to some of it?

Edit: For the record I wish he had not pardoned Toby because he was the most insufferable dickhead of the lot by a country mile.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ugh that fuckin' toby storyline

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

to truly understand the lib, watch west wing

:emptyquote:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:agreed:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is there any show with a good Toby character

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Skypie posted:

Is there any show with a good Toby character

Roots

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGDBExKA3jA

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

in yet more infosucc news

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1017834806330167297

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gary Peters (D-MI) had a town hall this morning and my friend texted me some of the highlights:

Very important to maintain civility in these times.
Told a woman whose husband had a stroke and was going bankrupt despite having fantastic health insurance that he doesn't support Medicare for All at this time because he wants to achieve "what is possible", and right now is focused on protecting the ACA which is under attack.
Told another person that wanted him to sign onto Medicare for All that he always has been for everyone having "access" to health care.
When questioned on wealth inequality said he agreed it was bad and then took another question.
Told people the most important thing to do right now was vote because Democrats don't have any power.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand alPaul posted:

Gary Peters (D-MI) had a town hall this morning and my friend texted me some of the highlights:

Very important to maintain civility in these times.
Told a woman whose husband had a stroke and was going bankrupt despite having fantastic health insurance that he doesn't support Medicare for All at this time because he wants to achieve "what is possible", and right now is focused on protecting the ACA which is under attack.
Told another person that wanted him to sign onto Medicare for All that he always has been for everyone having "access" to health care.
When questioned on wealth inequality said he agreed it was bad and then took another question.
Told people the most important thing to do right now was vote because Democrats don't have any power.

:lol:

Is this fucker getting primaried?