Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean, they'll get to the spaceship eventually. It's endgame content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

enraged_camel posted:

Just seems to me they are ripping stuff off of RimWorld at this point. Schedules? Interactions? Bleh.

Give us actual technological progress, new tech tiers, etc.

I want to build god drat spaceships, not micromanage dupe moods. If I wanted to do the latter I'd go play RimWorld.

TBF some of the worst UI elements are the ones they try to reinvent.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

metasynthetic posted:

That's exactly what this setup I posted earlier does, try it:

All the batteries, generators, and transformer inputs are on a common heavy wire circuit. The first battery is set from 75% - 95% and turns on the hydros, the 2nd is 60% - 95% and turn on both the nat gas + hydros, the 3rd is 50% - 95% and turns on the coal + nat gas + hydro. This setup with 3 battieries had no problems supplying a base that was running around 1.5 - 2kw during daytime, and keeping life support / other stuff on at night.
Hadn't looked that closely before, but unless I'm missing something the logic gates/networking is unnecessary and might be counterproductive.

If the batteries charge/discharge at the same time the 75%-95% generators will always be stay active even when the 50%-95% set activate. Even without AND gates.

If you want to conserve one type of fuel more than others, you can set the generators batteries to 75-95, 60-90, 50-80. Again without needing gates, since if it's below the activation threshold it will stay active (until it charges up to the deactivation threshold, at which point only the preferred/cheap fuel is used. Almost the same but with the exception that it switches off the coal and gas earlier if the load decreases before all the batteries hit 95%. Which happens daily, when a bunch of machines go on standby.

Also having the batteries on separate logic circuits lets you reconfigure priorities while paused, if you're like me only notice afterward that the water geyser went dormant before methane, etc.

enraged_camel posted:

Just seems to me they are ripping stuff off of RimWorld at this point. Schedules? Interactions? Bleh.

I want to build god drat spaceships, not micromanage dupe moods. If I wanted to do the latter I'd go play RimWorld.

I'd prefer not having to micromanage work/job priorities and urgencies or cancel/re-assign orders. Like just let me manually queue "dig these tiles, but NOT before you build the ladders" to stop the little fuckers from trapping themselves in build sites.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 12, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm okay with a happiness system that isn't just "put paintings everywhere. It will also be nice to not have dupes take poo poo breaks after digging a couple of tiles.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

enraged_camel posted:

It's one of those updates that I could see looks 'small' to us but has a lot more work put into it than we might think. Especially on art assets. And I feel it does wonders in adding some personality to the game and make the dupes feel a bit less like disposable ants.

And dude, just chill. They'll get there, but they have other plans as well. They're still adding core mechanics, even now we hardly have any sort of chemical processing despite that supposedly being a major deal in the end game: making rocket fuel and such. It's a complex game that they're slowly building up. Give them some room to add mechanics other than beep-boop-more-technologies.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

silentsnack posted:

Hadn't looked that closely before, but unless I'm missing something the logic gates/networking is unnecessary and might be counterproductive.

If the batteries charge/discharge at the same time the 75%-95% generators will always be stay active even when the 50%-95% set activate. Even without AND gates.

If you want to conserve one type of fuel more than others, you can set the generators to 75-95, 60-90, 50-80. Again without needing gates, since if it's below the activation threshold it will stay active (until it charges up to the deactivation threshold, at which point only the preferred/cheap fuel is used. Almost the same but with the exception that it switches off the coal and gas earlier if the load decreases before all the batteries hit 95%. Which happens daily, when a bunch of machines go on standby.

Also having the batteries on separate logic circuits lets you reconfigure priorities while paused, if you're like me only notice afterward that the water geyser went dormant before methane, etc.

No, I think you're right, you're elaborating on some implications that I hadn't fully thought through before. Part of the original reason I set up the circuits that way was because I thought I was possibly going to add some more control logic beyond just the batteries themselves, which ultimately proved unnecessary.

This reminds me though, a semi-cheaty way of setting switches that don't require dupe interaction is to link them to an atmo (or thermo / whatever) sensor set to 20kg and just change it yourself from below / above 20kg pressure.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, someone just sent me something amazing. Guy in the official ONI discord was chatting about a vacuum based cooling system and set it up:

The tempshift plates behind the water prevent it from evaporating due to the game's mechanics. But if the temperature rises to the point the water starts evaporating, the water vapor will be sucked away into space, taking its heat with it.

Edit:

He's using the polluted water to cool off the iron generated by this volcano, as maintained by this patent-pending Nisbet-based cooling system:

Because skin regrows and constantly repairing auto-sweepers gets tiring apparently.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 12, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It doesn't sound like what I was hoping for but w/e, I suppose it's something. If the new system is more complex than 'spam decor everywhere' that'll be fine.

There are just so many other things which I would have done first. Better luck next patch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I started a new colony on the test branch. Little notes/smiley faces came up and you could hover over the tool tip. Less than five minutes into the game, they took a break, would do no work (like build the friggin toilets) and peed on the floor.

Color me unimpressed.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Probably a bug in the way the new work cycle works. Sounds like they try to pee as soon as soon one of the non work day cycles starts?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

Probably a bug in the way the new work cycle works. Sounds like they try to pee as soon as soon one of the non work day cycles starts?

Yes, this is exactly what happens.

Extremely buggy so far. It's like the devs haven't played it themselves before releasing this branch.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ILL Machina posted:

I dunno, sounds like a fairly normal day in a British public service office block :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, delving into ranching for the first time, how viable is it to raise Hatches for eggs? They eat almost anything, poop coal, their eggs look huge.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

So, delving into ranching for the first time, how viable is it to raise Hatches for eggs? They eat almost anything, poop coal, their eggs look huge.

Too slow, raise shine bugs for eggs. Plenty of meat on Hatches though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yes, this is exactly what happens.

Extremely buggy so far. It's like the devs haven't played it themselves before releasing this branch.

They might not have. Remember it's a test branch and they log the people who are playing the test branch to see where the issues are.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is adorable and I love it. An important fact about ONI to me is that it's a builder game with little people doing the building, as opposed to a pure builder game. Still needs balancing, though; I had all the dupes sitting around and refusing to work because they didn't have a toilet, even though their current task was building a toilet. Had to go into emergency mode.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I hope the next patch isn't "Expressive Upgrade Mark II" or some poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah this patch is extremely cool and good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is adorable and I love it. An important fact about ONI to me is that it's a builder game with little people doing the building, as opposed to a pure builder game. Still needs balancing, though; I had all the dupes sitting around and refusing to work because they didn't have a toilet, even though their current task was building a toilet. Had to go into emergency mode.

ONI is best described as an ant farm, but with people, and in space.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I hope the next patch isn't "Expressive Upgrade Mark II" or some poo poo.

This is a preview build, so likely the major patch that the timer's ticking down to will be the cleaned up release of the Expressive Update. After that though, who knows what next month's project is. I do hope it's something a bit more in-depth, but I don't mind little bits like this.

temple posted:

ONI is best described as an ant farm, but with people, and in space.

That works. I often often state "Imagine Dwarf Fortress, but with but with adorable, developmentally challenged Star Trek rejects"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

dogstile posted:

Yeah this patch is extremely cool and good.

nah

this patch in a nutshell

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got some exosuits built and they change things rather a bit. Slime is no longer scary and I fear no water. But the little bastards still piss me off no end with the time wasting - walk to dock, get into suit, get through airlocks, walk halfway to job site, feel hungry, drop load and walk back. I know the suits suppress the 'I need a pee' thing but they still do the hunger one.

Still, cycle 90 and I have a nat gas geyser capped and only just getting some heat problems in the central part. Off to the ice biome with the next 3 suits and get me some wheezies.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ratzap posted:

I got some exosuits built and they change things rather a bit. Slime is no longer scary and I fear no water. But the little bastards still piss me off no end with the time wasting - walk to dock, get into suit, get through airlocks, walk halfway to job site, feel hungry, drop load and walk back. I know the suits suppress the 'I need a pee' thing but they still do the hunger one.

I assume the update in testing is going to solve that once they sort it out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BattleMaster posted:

I assume the update in testing is going to solve that once they sort it out.

It would be nice if it also stopped them from dropping whatever they are carrying when work time ends. “I’m supposed to put this infested piece of slime in the chlorine locker... but the day is over! :)

Or least have it keep its sweep tag. I don’t know how the update handles it, but I’d like that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 14, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

enraged_camel posted:

nah

this patch in a nutshell

Cheer them up you monster.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think two of my dupes just had an involved conversation about whether they like ladders.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So, they tell me I gotta go over to level three east and connect up some insulated pipe for that new water filter project. Ok, fine. So I schlep my way through the slime and get out there, I check the work order and it calls for sedimentary rock. I’m thinkin’, that’s not gonna last ten cycles. Plus there’s piles of granite just laying there right at the work site. But hey, whatever, I’m just an apprentice architect, what do I know, right?

I’m tellin’ ya, Stinky, the guy in charge of this mess is a moron who's gonna get us all killed. But what are ya gonna do?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Splicer posted:

I think two of my dupes just had an involved conversation about whether they like ladders.

Well? Do they?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ratzap posted:

I ended up making a checkpoint that disables itself after the dupes are through, and doesn't re-enable until nighttime. That way dupes that get into suits then work in that area at least until sundown. Since suits basically stop dupe bladder from overflowing and actual hunger takes like 2 cycles to manifest, it's never been a problem.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Gas pipe flow: is there a way to prevent half flow at a T when one of the branches is full? I’ve tried a few alternate junctions and it doesn’t seem like it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Teledahn posted:

Well? Do they?

They don't trust em. Always up to something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Teledahn posted:

Well? Do they?
They got sleepy and left before reaching a conclusion. A couple of other dupes agreed that they like blocks of copper ore though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The update seems a lot of work to basically implement 25% break/sleep time, 75% work time. They still drop whatever they are carrying when they change their bird brains which is infuriating. You're on a break for gods sakes, just go put that in the right place THEN go to the crapper. Instead it drops one of the remaining food items all the way down the ladder and into water.

All the cutesy "speech bubbles" nonsense is completely wasted on me. I just want quiet, efficient peons in my video game. I couldn't care less about immersion or the plight of my pixellated little friends.

Mood seems a little quicker to go down the swanny moving decor up the research queue and is it just me or are they eating more? Over all: D+, try harder next update.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

I ended up making a checkpoint that disables itself after the dupes are through, and doesn't re-enable until nighttime. That way dupes that get into suits then work in that area at least until sundown. Since suits basically stop dupe bladder from overflowing and actual hunger takes like 2 cycles to manifest, it's never been a problem.

:hmmyes:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

this just the start. i think by Friday we'll see more of the patch. There's going to be a schedule coming in, we already know that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What sort of automation is there that deals with game time? I'd be all for locking the smooth brained idiots out until they're allowed back I just can't imagine how to do it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Clock sensor, has two parameters: time of day to go active, and how long (in % of a day) to stay active.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Clock sensor, has two parameters: time of day to go active, and how long (in % of a day) to stay active.

Which also makes it ideal if you want to set up a lighting system in your base to boost mood, but don't want to have the lights on in places dupes aren't at a certain time of day.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Huh, never even looked at that one. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use airlocks to let them out and in at certain times while still getting them to put their suit away. How does this wizardry work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

this just the start. i think by Friday we'll see more of the patch. There's going to be a schedule coming in, we already know that.

They said none of those things.

quote:

Please note: The socialization and recreation systems are still being roughed in, so you'll find more loose ends and missing details than usual at the moment. We still have to add things like tooltips and icons, UI for the schedule, attributes and effects actually modifying each other, and so forth. We encourage you to comment on the game as you're currently experiencing it, as we'll be considering your feedback while we develop these systems.

There is basically zero indication that they will add more actual content (such as the ability to modify schedules) this patch. For all we know they're saving that for a future upgrade patch.

So yeah, don't get your hopes up. My guess? This is another wet fart of a patch just like the germ update last summer.