Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

related: oh god the bartender wants me to pay 10k to fix my rep and I just spent all my cash

That rep fee is no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Your Computer posted:

[cinnamon roll intensifies]

Finished his chapter then ran past sunshade and cobbleston for now to get Tressa on my team faster.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Your Computer posted:

I find it kinda funny how almost no NPC is off-limits. You can rob and beat up Tressa's parents while she's in the party.

You can have Primrose Allure Tressa's parents. Incidentally, Tressa's mother is easier to Allure than her father is... :heysexy:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Your Computer posted:

okay what the gently caress Octopath Traveler :catstare:

fantasy centrists

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

acumen posted:

This game is pretty great but holy poo poo can I not decide on a 3-team and what subclasses they should have.

My best guess so far is:

Olberic(main) +hunter
Alfyn +scholar
Tressa +dancer

I've been enjoying thief (the only secondary I have thus far) on Olberic because Steal SP with his stats is a lot of fun.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

For people who feel they need to grind before doing chapter 2: consider instead doing some optional dungeons! There's one in every character's starting area, and some are level 15 so they're a good ramp-up to the level 20 ones.

Are the locations for these obvious? I played through Ophelia first and don't remember seeing one. Now I just beat Cyrus' intro and was about to leave town.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

They are the little mountain/cave-looking icons on the mini map radar, I think? I'm sure there's a map with all the places on it but they're not hard to find if you keep an eye out

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How important are Ophilia's and Primrose's path actions?

I'm thinking switching from Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Primrose to Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Therion

Guiding NPCs around doesn't seem as useful as buying/stealing everything, investigating people, and mauling them with animals.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's really dang powerful in combat if you get good pals, and I've encountered a decent number of sidequests that need you to drag somebody somewhere

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm mad that I want all eight people in my party at once.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I'm wrapping up Chapter 1s for everyone now -- ended up deciding to start with Ophelia, then went counter-clockwise to get Shakespeare, Sneaky Boy, and Cinnamon Roll. Random thoughts:

Alfyn seems to be the strongest healer at lv20s by far, if only because he can do really beefy single-target heals as well as group heals while Ophelia only does moderate-to-strong group heals. I'm not as impressed with Concoct for damage output, though.

I ended up swerving into a lv15-20 area at one point to farm some five-star beasts for H'aanit, and it turns her into a absolute DPS beast, especially if you can steal a +crit belt with Therion. Salamanders will easily do 3k-4k damage per turn on a target, and that's ridiculous at this level.

Alfyn's "Inquire" ability ends up being really interesting -- it can not only adjust the cost of items/inns in town and shopkeeper inventory, but it can also affect other party members' path abilities as well: there's a person you can inquire in Prim's town that makes Prim's Allure ability more likely to succeed in the future.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Why does the game drag me like this :(

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Alfyn's "Inquire" ability ends up being really interesting -- it can not only adjust the cost of items/inns in town and shopkeeper inventory, but it can also affect other party members' path abilities as well: there's a person you can inquire in Prim's town that makes Prim's Allure ability more likely to succeed in the future.

I'm already very happy I started with Alfyn. Seeing all the backstories for npcs is neat, and the friendly good guy type character is how I play more open ended rpgs anyway.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'm thinking switching from Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Primrose to Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Therion

Guiding NPCs around doesn't seem as useful as buying/stealing everything, investigating people, and mauling them with animals.
If you don't have good weapon/element coverage it's a good way to add a new one to your set, and some of them are pretty strong + have good abilities. It's maybe a little less powerful than H'aanit's pokemon though.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So what's the point of provoke?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

E2M2 posted:

Knock people on their asses. Someone blocking a door? Beat the poo poo out of him. An NPC pissed you off for whatever reason and the game doesn't let you get your comeuppance. Beat the poo poo out of him!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Item drops; beating up assholes who are blocking doors so you can get in the doors; sidequest solutions

e: but really beating up old people and nobles is its own reward

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

E2M2 posted:

People blocking houses in town generally have goodies behind them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Started Alfyn's Chapter 2 before friends came over, and though it's brief and simple I'm digging the party chat stuff.

* H'aanit confesses about being awkward with children, and Alfyn tries to help her deal with them.
* Cyrus tells Alfyn what a great apothecary he is and cheers him on.
* Tressa analyzes the value of a seashell.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hey folks 8 hours in and I just learned boost works on your skills too. Welp.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Supremezero posted:

It's basic, sure, but at least it's not "Woe Noes some fucker done stole a book"

Like Cyrus himself is great and all, but his story is trash.
Maybe I'll get to the part where it's disappointing, but so far I'm building the book up in my head to be the loving Necronomicon.

The least endearing story I'm following is the apothecary. I'm not sure why-maybe because I already was into Tressa's spirit of adventure.

I'm glad I prioritized Primrose's story, though. I just finished her Chapter 2.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I started with Tressa and went with Primrose next and wow that was an abrupt change of tone, from Saturday Morning Cartoon to Game of Thrones.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Harlock posted:

Hey folks 8 hours in and I just learned boost works on your skills too. Welp.

I had this happen with Banner Saga. Why are these fights so hard, wait what is exertion... ohhhhhhhh

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ullerrm posted:

I'm wrapping up Chapter 1s for everyone now -- ended up deciding to start with Ophelia, then went counter-clockwise to get Shakespeare, Sneaky Boy, and Cinnamon Roll. Random thoughts:

Alfyn seems to be the strongest healer at lv20s by far, if only because he can do really beefy single-target heals as well as group heals while Ophelia only does moderate-to-strong group heals. I'm not as impressed with Concoct for damage output, though.

I ended up swerving into a lv15-20 area at one point to farm some five-star beasts for H'aanit, and it turns her into a absolute DPS beast, especially if you can steal a +crit belt with Therion. Salamanders will easily do 3k-4k damage per turn on a target, and that's ridiculous at this level.

Are the only healers Alfyn and Ophelia? I may have to rethink my team.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I mean technically you can make anyone a healer if you give them the cleric job

e: or apoth for single target healing and status clearing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mill Village posted:

H'aanit can catch monsters that have healing moves, and I assume Primrose (and Ophilia, but that'd be redundant) can recruit some NPCs who know healing.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

H'aanit: It is unethical to hunt unnecessarily. Hunters are just a small part of a beautiful cycle that protects nature.
Also H'aanit: Gonna sic my kitty on this old lady lmao

That being said, I picked H'aanit as my starter and I'm glad I did. I'm enjoying catching 'em all. I just finished recruiting all the other characters. This game is a blast.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Some sidequests do require them as the solution.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Anyone can be a healer by shoving grapes into people's mouths.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Anyone can be a healer by shoving grapes into people's mouths.

Tressa with the item refund skill has probably been my healer more often than not tbh

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's pretty easy to always have a party with one of Alfyn, Ophilia, or Tressa/Primrose with a cleric subclass in it. Those are your three best options for reliable AoE healing, and someone with an apothecary subclass can pinch heal as well.

Has anyone figured out whether the item refund skill from merchant applies to Alfyn's mix items? Please say yes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is there a hard limit on how many monsters H'aanit can have captured at once?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Meallan posted:

So, do side quests get various resolutions depending on the class actions you use during them? Is that a general thing? Because if so that's very rad.

Some definitely do. There's a pickpocket in Therion's starting town where you can Guide someone from Sunshade to him or share information about certain actions of the gang he's part of which will have different endings.

There's also the guy in Clearbrook that has trouble with getting plounder. You can either Purchase/Steal some exquisite bait for him to use... or you can go outside the village and find a guy who's overfishing the river for plounder and beat him up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Is there a hard limit on how many monsters H'aanit can have captured at once?

Six (not including her default). If you catch a seventh, you can choose which one to get rid of.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Also, I just started Cyrus's second tale and oh boy that beginning... :allears: Cyrus is definitely my favorite character of the eight.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Six (not including her default). If you catch a seventh, you can choose which one to get rid of.

So she follows pokemon rules

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

Also, I just started Cyrus's second tale and oh boy that beginning... :allears: Cyrus is definitely my favorite character of the eight.

I hope you had Ophelia in your party....

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What triggers the party interaction cutscenes? Can they only happen during the chapter quests and if so does that mean they're the only thing you can't see all of in a given playthrough?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've finished four chapter ones now and these are my thoughts so far, in order of when I got people:

Therion is great and I'm glad I started with him. I could see myself just always keeping him in my party even after I'm allowed to take him out.

Primrose has been a little lackluster but I think part of that is me going in on her 25sp dance like people were talking about. It's pretty rare that it helps me more than using her other actions could. I've even gotten two game overs because it did the "you barely survived" followed immediately by "exploding ground." Although to be fair I did summon a monster that nuked the boss of H'aanit's chapter so that was pretty freaking hilarious.

Alfyn is cool and I like his mix action. I'm a little worried that he'll be outclassed once my group starts catching up to his equipment though (I stole an axe with a ton of attack in his village).

H'annit is also good, though her dialogue is annoying. Haven't had much time with her in general but I did go back to Prim's town and beat up a lech so that was cool. I like her gimmick though so hopefully I'll like her once I get some more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Cyrus is the 30 year old anime harem protagonist we need and also deserve.