Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I picked up Project Cars: 2 in the steam sale.

I've got a good 10-20 hours out of it, but the AI really is very disappointing. The laws of physics don't seem to apply to the other cars, so when there is a corner up\down a hill, they're able to go around it, braking and accelerating as though it is flat without any loss of traction. On top of that, the awesome weather effects which leaves puddles on the road has no impact on their driving, but god help you if you hit one. I could deal with the slot car style of race that they had because the cars kinda reacted to your presence a little, but yeah, after a fair few races it's pretty easy to spot the cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think there's any good racing AI.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, I can deal with dumbass driving, but to lose on some corners, purely because the AI could mindlessly drive straight through that puddle on the apex can be shite.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, that's kind of what killed PC2 for me after about 150 hours. Clio cup is a lot of fun when you have to mess with difficulty settings just so the AI won't run laps that beat the current human world records. You either get an early lead and do hotlaps or the AI blows you away and you do more frustrated hotlaps.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's what killed the open wheeler career path in PC2 for me. I can't remember which track it was, but it had a right hand turn up a hill where the apex was exactly when the track went downhill, so the car got super light and you had to tip-toe through that corner. AI blasted through that as if physics are disabled, and whenever I tried to follow them, I spun out. Fiddled with setup for a bit and decided it's not worth it.

Went with the GT car career, where the problem is not as visible, but still lost interest after a while, because opponents simply didn't seem real enough.

To this day, I enjoy the AI of R3E quite much. You just have to make sure to delete some files from your profile folder if you have a super old installation and go back to it, else the Adaptive AI won't work correctly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's what made me give up on Forza. It wasn't so much that the AI is bad, which it is, but that it isn't consistent. On one track it was beatable, then on the next track it's impossible to keep up. On the same difficulty setting. I'm just going to avoid any single player realistic racing games.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
That's quite common - most AI needs to be tweaked depending on the car and/or track.

The rF2 AI is pretty darn believable once you play with the settings a bit - just get it to a manageable level of difficulty for the car/track you want and it is adequately realistic.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Agree, rF2 also gave me some good AI races.

I know I sound like an R3E shill, but exactly the fact that AI shines on some tracks and not on others is why I love the adaptive AI in that game. Yeah, you have to do at least one race at each track to get the AI dialed in somehow (better are two or three races), but when I did championships after that, nearly every track gave me an awesome race that felt believable.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
I've been going back to Dirt Rally recently after playing a lot of PC2 and the polish on the career mode is so much better. I know rally games have the advantage of just posting a list of times, but DR never gives me impossible times to beat and the difficulty scales much better so far. Manual shifting feels far better than PC2 as well- being able to miss a shift makes the cars feel much more mechanically "real".

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I want to play more Dirt Rally, but I don't understand how they updated so much and still have an insane menu system. I had to sharpie in button numbers on my G25 just to navigate the menu.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does dirt rally work natively with steam vr or Windows MR yet ?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

jonathan posted:

Does dirt rally work natively with steam vr or Windows MR yet ?

As of a month ago when I still had WMR, you had to use Revive. I doubt it'll change.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

I want to play more Dirt Rally, but I don't understand how they updated so much and still have an insane menu system. I had to sharpie in button numbers on my G25 just to navigate the menu.

It's not the most intuitive, but it's also not the kind of game where you're adjusting brake bias on the fly. The only buttons I'm regularly using are VR location reset and handbrake (which is terrible on a wheel- this game is going to make me buy/DIY a handbrake just to avoid trying to steer and hit the handbrake with my thumb at the same time)

Re: VR support, I think it's still Oculus only (so, Revive).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So if you want to dip your toes in VR, or maybe your dont know if your computer is up to snuff, or you just dont want to make a Rift or Vive-sized investment just to play Assetto Corsa in VR (like me), then I have the answer for you!!

Last week, I threw $50 literally into the wind on the chance that a Vive clone from China might not be half bad, and turns out, not only is it not bad, its actually pretty good!!!!!

See below for full details, but the tl;dr is you can get a pretty solid VR headset that tracks your horizontal and vertical movements (i.e. you can look everywhere while seated in the cockpit of a car but you cannot get up and walk around) for $50 US! I cant wait to sit in my sim rig tonight and possibly barf!!

E: I also have learned that CTRL+Space or pressing Glance Left+Glance Right at the same time will recenter the headset, so I should be good now

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren:MONOCULUS RIFT TRIP REPORT:siren:

I got the Direkt Tek WVR2 VR Headset (hereby referred to as the Monoculus Rift) in the mail yesterday, but didnt really get to mess with it until today.

For those not in the know, I found a cheap Steam VR compatible HMD, hemmed, hawed, and eventually bought it for the princely sum of $50.

First up, the most important part of it all, the box!!! Get ready for gratuitous use of :china:

LMAO at the JPEG compression printed on the box :china:

DEM SPECZ

WE'RE IN! Its....a box

Oof, the person on reddit who said the controller sucked was right. Chintzy, but shows up as a 360 pad, so most stuff should be fine. Ironically has a better dpad than the 360. Comes with its own 2.4GHZ USB receiver that it appears to be permanently bound to because :china:

There it is!!

Featuring: Headphone jack (:woop:), non-adjustable eyepieces (:china:), and a face proximity sensor (:woop:)

All of the other stuff

They supply elastic straps for the headband and velcro straps to hold the combo cable to the headband and get it routed properly. The velcro came stuck to the elastic strap, pulling them apart made the former fray the latter because :china:

OK, enough about the box, how does it work? The short answer? Pretty drat good!!

I hooked it up to my computer and was immediately greeted with nothing :thunk:

I went into steam, installed Steam VR and opened it and got errors about the headset and my monitor needing to be on the same video card (they were) and about the SteamVR compositor being unable to start. So, I installed the pre-packaged drivers. No dice. I searched google, did all the things and nothing worked. Finally, out of sheer frustration I rebooted my computer again. This time, for whatever reason (the reason is :china:) the Holo-Assist program that came with it popped up saying there was an update. I let it update and magically my errors went away and SteamVR quit complaining!!

Now it was time to get Assetto Corsa (the entire reason I bought this thing) fired up. After a bit of dicking around with controls and display settings (this HMD needs the OpenVR setting enabled in AC by the way), I was ready to race. Once I found myself in the headset and in the car, I was blown away!! The screen is sharp, the color reproduction is good, and the screendoor effect is really minimal!!

Head tracking works great too, although there is some drift, after 3 laps of the Nurburgring GP, I no longer found myself looking straight ahead in the game when I was in real life.

I spent so much time researching what wound up being a required driver update, that I didnt get too much time to mess with it, but for $50, I am super impressed, windows confirms its a legit 2560x1440 in resolution, so about 1280x1440 per eye. I don't have a Rift to do a back to back comparison but the Monoculus Rift sure does look like it has less screendoor effect than the Rift, dont @ me.

Here is what I can say so far:

Pros:
-Price ($50 if you use google express)
-Screen (colorful, sharp, I am going to say less screendoor effect than the Rift)
-Lateral and Horizontal head tracking
-Build quality seems fine. Its not the best piece of electronics I've ever seen, but I'm also not worried its going to fall apart in my hands

Cons:
-Non-adjustable eyepieces, if you look like Mr. Burns after his longevity treatment, these might not work
-Included 360 controller is useless :china:
-100 degree FOV
-No room-scale tracking

Overall, if you want a cheap HMD that you wont have to feel bad about breaking or letting people borrow, or if you want to travel with your HMD and Alienware laptop or whatever, or if you're just dipping your toes in VR, this headset is REALLY REALLY hard to beat as far as I know, $50 gets you an honestly pretty nice piece of kit.

Is this going to tear you away from your VIVE, Rift, or WMR device? Absolutely not, but, its far from bad, it plays Steam VR games, and really, just messing around in Assetto Corsa, feeling like I was really in the car was already worth the price of admission.

If you have $50 to blow (there is a Google Express sale on now), and you want to try VR but aren't sure if you're all in or if your PC is up to snuff, or you want a second HMD for whatever, go get one here: https://express.google.com/u/0/product/14507894758734696351_17045332301994464508_8175035

Anything else you guys want to know? Its hard to visually quantify how it works or how the screens look, but if you guys have questions or suggestions let me know

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 16, 2018

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a goon Wreckfest group going?

It looks super fun and would be even more fun knowing which kind of assholes I'm playing with

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So if you want to dip your toes in VR, or maybe your dont know if your computer is up to snuff, or you just dont want to make a Rift or Vive-sized investment just to play Assetto Corsa in VR (like me), then I have the answer for you!!

Last week, I threw $50 literally into the wind on the chance that a Vive clone from China might not be half bad, and turns out, not only is it not bad, its actually pretty good!!!!!

See below for full details, but the tl;dr is you can get a pretty solid VR headset that tracks your horizontal and vertical movements (i.e. you can look everywhere while seated in the cockpit of a car but you cannot get up and walk around) for $50 US! I cant wait to sit in my sim rig tonight and possibly barf!!

E: I also have learned that CTRL+Space or pressing Glance Left+Glance Right at the same time will recenter the headset, so I should be good now

how is it? also that controller looks okay

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

There really isn't. Its a ton of work to make a good one and its way way easier to just support online.

But man it'd be nice. Hopefully iRacing puts some serious effort into theirs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tuo posted:

how is it? also that controller looks okay

It’s pretty good!! I only have about an hour of experience in it. All in AC, but it for sure does it’s job of making you feel like you’re in the car. All at way less cost and with less screendoor than the rift.

It has no discernible image or motion lag that I can see, all in all it feels very good!!

I want to be fair, this is not a rift or vive replacement. It is really good in a few areas (screen quality, pixel spacing), not so good in others (sharpness at the edges of the image for one), but for $50 it is a really good value and absolutely gets you the main draw of VR, which is immersion and feeling like you’re really there.

The controller is potentially OK, I haven’t used it other than to verify it works.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah I have a lot of problems with getting it to work with my wheel and get the inputs right.

For some loving stupid reason there's a bug where if I re-bind the start button, no controls will be saved. They'll have to be re-entered every time. If you input all the buttons EXCEPT start, then it saves.

So I have to press my keyboard even though I have extra buttons on my wheel. So dumb.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s pretty good!! I only have about an hour of experience in it. All in AC, but it for sure does it’s job of making you feel like you’re in the car. All at way less cost and with less screendoor than the rift.

It has no discernible image or motion lag that I can see, all in all it feels very good!!

I want to be fair, this is not a rift or vive replacement. It is really good in a few areas (screen quality, pixel spacing), not so good in others (sharpness at the edges of the image for one), but for $50 it is a really good value and absolutely gets you the main draw of VR, which is immersion and feeling like you’re really there.

The controller is potentially OK, I haven’t used it other than to verify it works.

Does it work with iRacing? I haven't followed much of the VR stuff so I have no idea what works with what, but for $50 I'll try it as long as it works in iRacing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unfortunately I don’t know because I don’t have iracing (yet). My understanding after one day with it is if your app supports Vive, SteamVR or OpenVR you’re good out of the box. Rift stuff can work too but I think it requires some sort of translator like ReVive that I haven’t messed with yet.

Does iracing have a demo or a trial? I’d be happy to test it for you if I don’t have to buy a subscription.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2018

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

As far as I know the Vive is supposed to work with it, so it should be good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does iracing have a demo or a trial? I’d be happy to test it for you if I don’t have to buy a subscription.

Nah, you'd have to sub

I definitely use VIVE with iRacing so if it supports VIVE games it should work :shrug:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is there a goon Wreckfest group going?

It looks super fun and would be even more fun knowing which kind of assholes I'm playing with

It’s super fun and maybe the funniest online game I’ve ever played.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

It’s super fun and maybe the funniest online game I’ve ever played.

If I wasn't so drat busy this summer I'd be all over it.

It has wheel support right?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

When you say it's not adjustable, do you mean you can't set the ipd? Cause running the rift with wrong ipd values for a few days messed up my sense of balance and even reality. My idiot brain could adjust to VR instantly but had issues with actual world scale, not that I've been looking at it for 30 years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ledenko posted:

When you say it's not adjustable, do you mean you can't set the ipd? Cause running the rift with wrong ipd values for a few days messed up my sense of balance and even reality. My idiot brain could adjust to VR instantly but had issues with actual world scale, not that I've been looking at it for 30 years.

Correct, no IPD. It works out of the box for me but I realize it won’t for everyone

Also more :words: on my further sit-down sim experience with it:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Monoculus Rift (Direkt Tek WVR2) night two trip report:

Holy poo poo this thing is way better than it has any right to be!! Allow me to review a few things

Assetto Corsa: Spent a good couple hours in this game tonight and man does it feel good! Works basically flawlessly out of the box. I really only had to set a key to re-center the view and turn the graphics settings down from "Ultra" to get a great experience. Fantastic!

Project Cars: PC has a cool menu scheme where the cursor is in the center of your vision and you look at things to select them, pretty cool but doesnt always make fine selections easy. Thankfully you can still use a mouse or gamepad. My computer needs a bit more tweaking yet, but its running OK. I need to figure out the performance sweet spot for my particular PC. Also Project Cars has a weird issue where textures and polygons load and unload as you look or dont look at them at the very edge of the display. Its barely perceptible, but its there and it distracts me while I'm driving. Other than that, another good experience.

Redout: Basically Wipeout VR. Runs really well on my PC, but I just dont think its my kind of game. I barely have time to react and its overwhelming

War Thunder: This one really made my stomach flip. Sitting in the cockpit of the plane and banking hard really gives you that holy poo poo feeling like you're really there. Unfortunately War Thunder itself is incomprehensible and inscrutable, and therefore nearly impossible to play. This is no fault of the Monoculus Rift.

The pack-in 360 controller that came with the HMD: Garbage. It kept disconnecting and doing it at the worst time, crashing my plane in War Thunder. Maybe it would be OK wired, but at this point I'll just use a real 360 or DS4 controller.

My glasses that I wear every day: Seemed to help quite a bit with the focus issues at the edge of the screen. Maybe thats more based on my eyes rather than the lenses in the hMD

Here is a quick video showing the output first on my projector screen, then on each lens of the headset. I know its not a objective measure, but it gives you a look inside at least
https://i.imgur.com/skuWGHE.mp4

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase, and I've probably already gotten my $50 out of it. Cant wait to try out some new stuff.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ledenko posted:

Was this right when you started using VR? I ask because that’s what PC VR does to a lot of people at first. Maybe your IPD adjustment just happened to be done at the same time that effect sort of wore off. I had the same thing, a sort of “questioning reality” feeling for the first week or so after getting my Rift and I’ve been using the same IPD the whole time.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Was this right when you started using VR? I ask because that’s what PC VR does to a lot of people at first. Maybe your IPD adjustment just happened to be done at the same time that effect sort of wore off. I had the same thing, a sort of “questioning reality” feeling for the first week or so after getting my Rift and I’ve been using the same IPD the whole time.

Yeah, at the start, but it wore off the day I set a proper IPD so you can see how I'd make the connection.
Questioning reality was a hoot though, I woke up once and stared at my hands and wriggled them about to make sure they were my actual hands.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It can happen at any time. I spent a couple hours flying around in X-Plane and when I took the headset off and when my visuals started getting inner ear sensations to go with them, my brain started freaking out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah its definitely a thing. After a couple hours of Assetto Corsa last night I felt like I was getting off a boat

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If I wasn't so drat busy this summer I'd be all over it.

It has wheel support right?

Yup, though it plays fine with a gamepad.

I now realize a game that encourages dive-bombing corners and blocking is really all I've ever wanted in a racing game

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So this thing I assume just does tilt and rotating... If you move side to side I would assume it doesn't do that ?

My WMR setup, when I first got it before some patches would lose the 6 axis tracking and fall back to just rotation/tilt. And for racing sims, that's 90% of what you need and I could totally live with that for $50.

Thanks for the trip report. God bless godless China.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yes, it tracks horizontal, vertical and rotation (tilt) of your head. it cannot track your height or position in a room. as you say, for seated games thats all you need

and yes, thank you based :china:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tilt only is acceptable for some people. Moving your head in space and your view not moving can make some people instantly VR sick.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, it doesn’t bug me but I can see how it would bother people

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It feels very similar to 3d movies as soon as I move my head when only tilt/rotate is being tracked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s way more immersive than a 3D movie in my mind. It’s not just a projection of the game on a virtual wall, it’s entirely surrounding you from every angle.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

id be real happy with it if i didnt want to hurl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah... I'm pretty comfortable with VR and I got used to the old Oculus DK1 and DK2, but lack of positional tracking would be a deal breaker for me. Its gonna shorten how long you can spend in VR comfortably.