Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I don't think the plan was to end it on the opera. That just sort-of happened.

If memory serves, there was some dispute between Captain Metalocalypse and Adult Swim. At first, we were told it could be resolved... then silence. So, who knows.

(Metalocalypse was great. I'm a metalhead, and a musician, and even a bass player, so maybe I'm biased. But, as much as I loved the show, it, along with China, Illinois, didn't fare as well as hoped when it went from 15 minutes to 30.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's a shame though we never got an ending. At least they ended Aqua Team two different ways.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, China Il was best as a 15 minute bloc, but god drat it's some good loving TV.

Although maybe the one where the main guy has to pretend to be a cat is one of the best ones. I love it because that lady is a REAL PERSON and it's hilarious to me that he didn't understand how to game it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Pick posted:

Yeah, China Il was best as a 15 minute bloc, but god drat it's some good loving TV.

Although maybe the one where the main guy has to pretend to be a cat is one of the best ones. I love it because that lady is a REAL PERSON and it's hilarious to me that he didn't understand how to game it.

The episode where everyone on Earth but that girl dies was so kick rear end

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I did not think ATHF was ever funny. It seemed to consist of nothing but monkeycheese "random" humor. Also, I could never understand a loving word that the meatball guy said.

I mean it kind of is just random poo poo happening, but it's all a springboard for the characters to bounce dialogue and reactions back and forth, which is where the humour all lies. If a load of the dialogue just washes over you then yeah, I can understand not finding it remotely funny.

I also stopped watching Aqua Teen for no particular reason, around when the movie came out. I think the latest episode I ever saw was when Carl spent the episode talking to his alternate self in a personalised hair growth advert and proceeded to destroy his life.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
ATHF was fine in small doses, but the episodes do not hold up to repeat viewings. I was always a big fan of Sealab, it actually had plots and characters, they were silly and nonsenstical, but it wasn't just random weirdness.

Related, I liked season 1 of Frisky Dingo, but Season 2 was just horrible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A discussion of long running AS swim shows jumping the shark and no one has brought up Sealable basically dying with Murphy despite going on for two more seasons

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So much of Adult Swim is such a weird balance of looking like total poo poo and yet trying not to be total poo poo, or being poo poo, but managing to maintain some kind of goodness through that, and if you need to really get it to understand.

It's basically a miracle that any executive ever signs off on most of Adult Swim's works.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I found season 3 of Harvey Birdman at a secondhand market stall yesterday for $5, it was in brand new condition. Perfect, because I had season 1 and 2 on DVD for the past decade but never got around to buying season 3.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

twistedmentat posted:

ATHF was fine in small doses, but the episodes do not hold up to repeat viewings. I was always a big fan of Sealab, it actually had plots and characters, they were silly and nonsenstical, but it wasn't just random weirdness.

Related, I liked season 1 of Frisky Dingo, but Season 2 was just horrible.

Sealab so quickly went all high-concept with whole episodes that were just one long goof on whatever stoner idea sounded good that week. UH OH UH OH UH OH

(Which isn't to say it wasn't amazing anyway)

Frisky Dingo I never clicked with though. But at least Archer found its groove quick enough.

This has been My Very Relevant Opinions

Oh yes, ^^ that reminds me I never watched Harvey Birdman S3/4 either. What the hell have I been doing for the past ten years

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

tarlibone posted:

(Metalocalypse was great. I'm a metalhead, and a musician, and even a bass player, so maybe I'm biased. But, as much as I loved the show, it, along with China, Illinois, didn't fare as well as hoped when it went from 15 minutes to 30.)

I hate metal music and Metalocalypse is still probably my 3rd alltime favorite adult swim show behind Venture Bros and Sealab

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's pretty off-course from Venture Bros but I feel like Xavier Renegade Angel didn't get nearly the attention it deserves if we're gonna talk "top Adult Swim shows"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never seen an episode but I adore S1-5 of archer, superjail, drinky crow, the oblongs, ATHF, China, IL, Sealab, Metalacalypse, Home Movies, Mission Hill and obviously venture bros.

Is it anywhere on that spectrum?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Sealab so quickly went all high-concept with whole episodes that were just one long goof on whatever stoner idea sounded good that week. UH OH UH OH UH OH

(Which isn't to say it wasn't amazing anyway)

Frisky Dingo I never clicked with though. But at least Archer found its groove quick enough.

This has been My Very Relevant Opinions

Oh yes, ^^ that reminds me I never watched Harvey Birdman S3/4 either. What the hell have I been doing for the past ten years

Man, you gotta try again on frisky dingo. It’s perfect from the first to last episodes and you can watch the whole thing in a day easy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tatsuta Age posted:

Man, you gotta try again on frisky dingo. It’s perfect from the first to last episodes and you can watch the whole thing in a day easy.

Right after I finish Archer then.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's pretty off-course from Venture Bros but I feel like Xavier Renegade Angel didn't get nearly the attention it deserves if we're gonna talk "top Adult Swim shows"

Xavier is a wonderful, weird show, and if anyone here hasn't seen it yet they should fix that as soon as possible

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve never seen an episode but I adore S1-5 of archer, superjail, drinky crow, the oblongs, ATHF, China, IL, Sealab, Metalacalypse, Home Movies, Mission Hill and obviously venture bros.

Is it anywhere on that spectrum?

Yes

Tatsuta Age posted:

Honestly I felt that show fell apart in the second season once the presidential election arc got ditched, not to mention them killing off 99% of the cast over the course of the remainder of that season basically makes it impossible to revive

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I dunno, once Wendell is the main focus I still was lmbo as hard as early episodes, but maybe it’s just me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Remember the awkward as hell Xtacle spin off?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I loved those episodes! :p

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I was high watching a frisky dingo stream on AS and the episodes were edited weirdly and out of order, it was very disorienting because i thought I was going crazy until I realized they weren't running normally. That's my story. Frisky Dingo rules.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's a lot of AS shows I cannot remember what they were, because they all had super minimalist animation and the dialog was little more than ;

Character A : You know fish make the best valets
Character B: Uh?
Character A: Ya
Character B: Buh?

Clearly made in 5 minutes with some improved dialog, but why stick this on the air?

Mission Hill is like my favorite thing that never got a fair shake, but it started on the WB, not AS, so there was no way AS was going to save it because it had already been canceled. According to Bill Oakley, if they had started on AS, they might have been able to go longer, but the WB was not the place for animated shows based on underground comics of the 90s.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

tarlibone posted:

If memory serves, there was some dispute between Captain Metalocalypse and Adult Swim. At first, we were told it could be resolved... then silence. So, who knows.

I remember reading an interview with Brendon Small around the time there was a big campaign to bring it back/save it. Even after someone with money came in and offered to help fund it, AS were still "Nope don't care it's not happening" so yeah someone at AS has a hate boner for Brendon.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Oh god you are one of those freaks who also watched like 'twelve oz mouse' and 'worker and parasite' arent you?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dragonstoned posted:

I remember reading an interview with Brendon Small around the time there was a big campaign to bring it back/save it. Even after someone with money came in and offered to help fund it, AS were still "Nope don't care it's not happening" so yeah someone at AS has a hate boner for Brendon.

It’s not a hate boner for Brendon. AS cannot air the doomstar requiem basically ever because it cannot be broke into episodic chunks. Small wanted to do another to finish the series. AS wasn’t interested in making another hour plus long show that they cannot actually broadcast and monetize.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Small put out a metal album recently (under a different band name because AS owns Metalocalypse) and his fans are all but certain it's meant to be the final plot to Metalocalypse.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was hilarious. The "you're gonna get raped" bit along w "you did everything you could, from inside this car" had me in tears.

Seriously if you haven't seen Xtacles download them and watch. I think it's only a couple of episodes.

My fav cancelled Adult Swim show that never made it was Hard Nollin Slopio Peepio. I never hear people talking about it but I don't think there was a single episode that didn't make me laugh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s not a hate boner for Brendon. AS cannot air the doomstar requiem basically ever because it cannot be broke into episodic chunks. Small wanted to do another to finish the series. AS wasn’t interested in making another hour plus long show that they cannot actually broadcast and monetize.

Really? They do weird poo poo all the time. They could just spend a night saying "Here's the end of Metalocalypse, this is the only time it will be shown." That's a totally BS answer.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Data Graham posted:

We have uh oh, over

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I never watched Metalocalypse, can you explain this a little? From wikipedia it looks like an 47-minute special (set to music?) so... give it an hour block once in a while? Chop it into two or four pieces and put in a quick intro and outro animation where the cast is gathering to watch it on TV or something? I don't understand how this is such a gamestopper. Like maybe someone's coming in every now and then having not seen the previous episode, but like the guy above me said, that's not even close to the oddest thing you'd see on Adult Swim.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 15, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

420 Gank Mid posted:

Oh god you are one of those freaks who also watched like 'twelve oz mouse' and 'worker and parasite' arent you?

Twelve Oz Mouse, that is the show I was thinking of.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Frisky Dingo is proto-Archer and is the same kind of humor but with better writers and worse voice actors. It’s so drat good and somehow intelligently random.

loving Ronnie.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does Frisky Dingo also throw out every single character motivation and plot hook then have to flail desperately for a new concept every season to justify its continued existence?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does Frisky Dingo also throw out every single character motivation and plot hook then have to flail desperately for a new concept every season to justify its continued existence?

no because the characters have no motivation outside of loving each other over and also its only 2 seasons long

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Imagine I'm slowly pushing a bowl of cereal off the counter.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It’s me

I am the guy who liked 12 oz Mouse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr. Nice! posted:

Imagine I'm slowly pushing a bowl of cereal off the counter.

THATS OUR LAST BOWL!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no because the characters have no motivation outside of loving each other over and also its only 2 seasons long

That sounds right up my alley, I'll give it a watch!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ant Baby Machete Squad!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

I never watched Metalocalypse, can you explain this a little? From wikipedia it looks like an 47-minute special (set to music?) so... give it an hour block once in a while? Chop it into two or four pieces and put in a quick intro and outro animation where the cast is gathering to watch it on TV or something? I don't understand how this is such a gamestopper. Like maybe someone's coming in every now and then having not seen the previous episode, but like the guy above me said, that's not even close to the oddest thing you'd see on Adult Swim.

it's a death metal rock opera and there are literally dozens of people who want to watch that

the big problem with metalocalypse is that it is a show whose audience is limited mostly to metalheads who dont take themselves too seriously, which are two circles that rarely overlap

the music is legit kick rear end, extremely good but people who are into this kind of music tend to be, uh, not very good at taking a joke about how metal is just theatrical clown music for alcoholics and chronic depressives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W35dyPTh6o

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ant Baby Machete Squad!

well if you're so smart...