Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cythereal posted:

I saw Ant-Man and the Wasp last night, I enjoyed it. Nothing amazing, but refreshingly low stakes and I enjoyed the characters and size-changing gags more than the first one. I think it's a similar issue to the Deadpool movies - the first one is mildly embarrassed about the subject matter and works overtime to make you get going with what's happening, the second is comfortable in its own skin. Paul Rudd remains my least favorite element of the Ant-Man movies, he's charming enough but I find him very generic and unmemorable, and I think he's pretty uncomfortable with any bit of acting that doesn't require him to be comedic. Fortunately, this movie gives much greater prominence to Evangeline Lily, who I think works much better as the driving force of the movie. I liked Ghost by the end, too, she's not actually in the movie much and doesn't get a lot of characterization, but what there is is a sympathetic and interesting character I'd like to see more of.

I think the most refreshing bit is that the world isn't at stake in this movie. Despite one of the trailers claiming Ghost was out to destroy the world, she's manifestly not - she's just a renegade SHIELD/HYDRA assassin whose super-science powers are killing her and she's desperate for a cure. A grand total of one person dies in the entire movie, and he had it coming.

Buried in the technobabble is, I think, a lot of foreshadowing for Infinity War 2 and I suspect at least one of these new characters is being groomed for a bigger role in the franchise, but as it is, Ant-Man and the Wasp is an appealingly down-to-earth action comedy with super-science and low stakes.
I just saw it a little while ago, and I agree that it seemed like this was more of Hope's movie for a lot of it.

My only real complaints were 1) Jokes were not nearly as good as the first one, 2) The trailers spoiled a lot of the action sequences, and 3) I really thought we would get way more of the quantum realm than we end up seeing.

I would have also liked more of Bill Foster, but it's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

She’s a long standing character who we know nothing about other than “she’s competent in a fight” and “she has a mysterious past”. There’s a pretty blank slate with a wide array of source material to mine from and make an interesting movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Xenomrph posted:

If there’s anything Disney has proven they’re good at, it’s taking characters “no one cared about” and making fun movies with them. No one cared about Iron Man as a character in 2007 and now he’s headlining a decade-old franchise. No one cared about Thor until his third movie. No one cared about Ant-Man and he just got a sequel. A Black Widow movie has been a long time coming but I’m more than willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Disney didn't have anything to do with Iron Man originally. Marvel made and was making the first two films before they got bought by Disney.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah a lot of people forget/didn't know that phase 1 of the MCU was mostly done without Disney.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never realised that Incredible Hulk was directed by the Transporter guy until today (because I watched Now You See Me and was curious about what else he'd done).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's very interesting that Disney didn't really have a role in Iron Man 1 or Incredible Hulk, just because those movies are on the exact opposite ends of the MCU spectrum. Who knows how things might have continued.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess i should say that i mostly dont care for a widow movie, not only because shes old hat now, but because scarlet is kinda trash and i dont feel like supporting a marvel movie with her headlining

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just don’t think Scarlett’s portrayal is particularly interesting and I can’t imagine her version of the character being able to carry a solo film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Scarlett is absolutely on some heavy opioids or something, so she won't be headlining things much longer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Now that Marvel has a movie starting a female superhero coming out, how long do you think until copycat DC tries to make its own movie with a woman as a lead? That would be just like them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Now that Marvel has a movie starting a female superhero coming out, how long do you think until copycat DC tries to make its own movie with a woman as a lead? That would be just like them.

Well if you don't mean actual good guy hero types then there's that Sirens movie oh wait there was already Wonder Woman ah gently caress you were joking.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lurdiak posted:

Scarlett is absolutely on some heavy opioids or something, so she won't be headlining things much longer.

What

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Xenomrph posted:

She’s a long standing character who we know nothing about other than “she’s competent in a fight” and “she has a mysterious past”. There’s a pretty blank slate with a wide array of source material to mine from and make an interesting movie.

The slate isn't blank, there's a lot of red on it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She's got that Carrie Fisher look in every movie she's made in the last 5 years and the rumors are a-swirlin'.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No the red is on the ledger not the slate were you even paying attention?

E: I've also heard about her being majorly hooked on opioids. I hear about it from this guy named Lurdiak on the SA forums

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

She's got that Carrie Fisher look in every movie she's made in the last 5 years and the rumors are a-swirlin'.

I literally can not find any rumors by googling. Is there anything actually backing this up besides "I really think it!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I literally can not find any rumors by googling. Is there anything actually backing this up besides "I really think it!"

Well no, it's just rumors I heard. I'll admit that if someone tells me a celebrity is on drugs I kinda just go "Yeah probably."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dunno about any drug problems but between sodastream, gits, and rub & tug im out

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man is your mind going to be blown when you hear about Robert Downey Jr.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Well no, it's just rumors I heard. I'll admit that if someone tells me a celebrity is on drugs I kinda just go "Yeah probably."

Did you somehow get access to Rhyno's facebook feed?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

That would explain this 60 message DM thread I got from Geoff Johns explaining why Hal is cooler than Guy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

i guess i should say that i mostly dont care for a widow movie, not only because shes old hat now, but because scarlet is kinda trash and i dont feel like supporting a marvel movie with her headlining

Hey, at least Widow is a white, cis woman. So it’s not the worst for for scarjo for once

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Retro Futurist posted:

Hey, at least Widow is a white, cis woman. So it’s not the worst for for scarjo for once

Since the movie takes place before avengers 1, scarjo will ask to be recast as whatever middle eastern woman they decide to create

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

IT'S PUBLIC.

But come one, of course she's on drugs. She's an actress, that's part of the gig. She'll bottom out, go through rehab, stage a comeback and win her Oscar.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rhyno posted:

IT'S PUBLIC.

But come one, of course she's on drugs. She's an actress, that's part of the gig. She'll bottom out, go through rehab, stage a comeback and win her Oscar.
Those women in Hollywood. They're all the same!
I don't want to be to personal, but generalizing like that makes you sound like a total rear end in a top hat.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 15, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

site posted:

i dunno about any drug problems but between sodastream, gits, and rub & tug im out

She's not doing Rub & Tug anymore, she bowed out after public pressure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Those women in Hollywood. They're all the same!
I don't want to be to personal, but generalizing like that makes you sound like a total rear end in a top hat.

Chill out dude, i was making light of the topic, that was essentially RDJs path.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

If there’s anything Disney has proven they’re good at, it’s taking characters “no one cared about” and making fun movies with them. No one cared about Iron Man as a character in 2007 and now he’s headlining a decade-old franchise. No one cared about Thor until his third movie. No one cared about Ant-Man and he just got a sequel. A Black Widow movie has been a long time coming but I’m more than willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

They're also really good at taking franchises everyone really liked and making it so nobody really ever wants to see one ever again (Star Wars).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Feige is actually good at the film running thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Chickenwalker posted:

They're also really good at taking franchises everyone really liked and making it so nobody really ever wants to see one ever again (Star Wars).

Lol sure buddy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chickenwalker posted:

Nah

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

David D. Davidson posted:

She's not doing Rub & Tug anymore, she bowed out after public pressure.

yes i am aware, however i cant help but notice she took the role in the first place

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I’ve not really kept up with the news of her and this controversy but I gather she was cast as in the role of a transgender character? If that’s it then why does she get backlash for that yet Eddie Redmayne does the same the thing and is universally praised and wins an Oscar? Maybe there are important details I’m missing here not being familiar with the story but I’d like to know because from a surface level it looks they both did the same thing but to totally different reactions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

X-O posted:

I’ve not really kept up with the news of her and this controversy but I gather she was cast as in the role of a transgender character? If that’s it then why does she get backlash for that yet Eddie Redmayne does the same the thing and is universally praised and wins an Oscar? Maybe there are important details I’m missing here not being familiar with the story but I’d like to know because from a surface level it looks they both did the same thing but to totally different reactions.

There's numerous reasons.

1. People were sensitivised to this due to GitS and Johansson's generally higher level of profile.
2. Rub and Tug is a biopic about a real historical figure, The Danish Girl is more heavily fictionalised.
3. The Danish Girl is about folks in 1920s Copenhagen, Rub and Tug is about 1970s US, so critics relate to it more.
4. The Danish Girl is almost entirely about someone pre-transition, while Rub and Tug is about someone who lived most of their life as a man.
5. There were complaints about The Danish Girl (and the novel), but generally the film was kinda niche anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK that makes a little more sense. I know the movie will be better off with someone more representative in the role, but I wonder if the loss of her star power means the story of the movie won’t reach a wider audience because of it. It’s a tough situation. I think you cast someone like that in a movie like this because you want as many people as you can to see something they may not see otherwise. But at the same time if you’re not true to the spirit of the story what’s the use of making it? I see why they cast her and I see why it’s a problem. Like I said it’s a tough situation. The right move, which in this case is definitely her not being in it, is probably unfortunately going to hurt the movie and it’s ability to reach a bigger audience though. The whole thing just kinda sucks all the way around.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm wasn't sure I necessarily agreed with the idea that a cis person could never play a trans person, but the argument I ended up being receptive to was "trans people already aren't getting cast for cis roles, and now we're just casting cis people for trans roles too, so what the gently caress are they supposed to do?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it’s a bit more complicated when the subject of the movie never had any hormone therapy or surgery or anything too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

i had to look up who this was and what you're talking about cuz id never heard of either of them, but casting a cis person in that role is lovely too and maybe our barometer of appropriateness of casting cis people in trans roles because cis people actually really dont care shouldnt be how many awards the notoriously lovely on representation academy hands out to a particular film

site fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 15, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

i had to look up who this was and what you're talking about cuz id never heard of either of them, but casting a cis person in that role is lovely too and maybe our barometer of appropriateness of casting cis people in trans roles because cis people actually really dont care shouldnt be how many awards the notoriously lovely on representation academy hands out to a particular film

It’s not just about awards it’s about the entire perception. Jared Leto was pretty universally praised for Dallas Buyer’s Club too. And also won an Oscar. I didn’t want to say it but I was honestly wondering if the whole thing with Scarlett was just because she was a woman. Because the only other two major castings like this I remember (I know there were probably a lot smaller ones I don’t know of forgot about) were both men and like I said were pretty much lauded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
the dialog around representative casting has also accelerated dramatically since Dallas Buyers Club came out, particularly in the last 2 years.

• Locked thread