Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hats just come up way more often than they should. I think the breaking point might have been The Brooklyn Bridge Crushing but it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Worth mentioning is there's actually one other guy who Gary missed after Onada:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teruo_Nakamura
Who doesn't get the same treatment because he wasn't ethnically Japanese.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Lincolns_Finger/status/1016706110353559552

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

I think Dave tries to be gareth a little too hard but what he thinks is playful banter comes off as having a bad attitude. It didn't bother me too much.

I gave it a second go, and Dave is really bad, which is a pity as the topic is interesting. Would probably have made a good normal dollop with Gareth as the ignorant listener.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Pretty amazed that Gary is able to say "potato" not in an Irish accent.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

echomadman posted:

Wow Dave is annoying in the newest reverse dollop, I had to turn it off after a few minutes.

Which episode is that?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

Which episode is that?

335 Need a Hiroo

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

echomadman posted:

335 Need a Hiroo

Weird that's Not on Google music yet :-/

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

Weird that's Not on Google music yet :-/

It went up Monday night

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Ok they clubbed an entire island of seals that's pretty bad, but what does this have to do with penguins?

OK but what about the rats from earlier?

OK BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CATS?!?

OHHHH GOOD YOU GOT RID OF THE CATS NICE JOB WELL DONE ENJOY YOUR DISEASED RABBIT HELL ISLAND

Also it was a live Dollop, which makes Dave a special kind of monster.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 12, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

Ok they clubbed an entire island of seals that's pretty bad, but what does this have to do with penguins?

OK but what about the rats from earlier?

OK BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CATS?!?

OHHHH GOOD YOU GOT RID OF THE CATS NICE JOB WELL DONE ENJOY YOUR DISEASED RABBIT HELL ISLAND

Also it was a live Dollop, which makes Dave a special kind of monster.

Australia's a hosed up place, mate

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Just listened to the Andrew Jackson episode. Really enjoyed it, I enjoy the American political history stuff that they do. I did love how towards the end, when during the Trail of Tears stuff, it just becomes so matter of fact and Gareth is clearly depressed about proceedings.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gareth scooped Dan Carlin, Hiro Onada is a big part of the start of the newest hardcore history episode.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

exploded mummy posted:

listen to the Macquarie Island episode for all your penguin needs

also they never did an actual hat podcast because that was literally the firs thing I ever asked in this thread and was told to go listen to Taxidermy and the Straw Hat Riots episode

Also hatpins.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

echomadman posted:

Gareth scooped Dan Carlin, Hiro Onada is a big part of the start of the newest hardcore history episode.

haha nice

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

echomadman posted:

I dunno, it's a pretty well-known story.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
This latest episode - Women and Transportation - starts somewhere I know (Ancient Greeks don't get women) and really loving takes it places.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Hats just come up way more often than they should. I think the breaking point might have been The Brooklyn Bridge Crushing but it's been a while.

There’s also a hat bit in Orange Catholic Riots, a favorite episode of mine.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

I think Dave tries to be gareth a little too hard but what he thinks is playful banter comes off as having a bad attitude. It didn't bother me too much.

I liked all the reverse dollops thus far. I still listen to the escape bit from the Pulgasari ep due to how utterly bewildered Dave gets.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 19, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AceOfFlames posted:

I liked all the reverse dollops thus far. I still listen to the escape but from the Pulgasari ep due to how utterly bewildered Dave gets.

my favorite RD and honestly one of my top 10 was the Nim the chimp. its a fascinating episode, i wish they would do more animal ones.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

frankly it seems high time for Gary to followup his oral history of Dominos with a look at old Papa John

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Not Operator posted:

This latest episode - Women and Transportation - starts somewhere I know (Ancient Greeks don't get women) and really loving takes it places.

That was a good one. And his mom being there was the icing on the cake.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

frankly it seems high time for Gary to followup his oral history of Dominos with a look at old Papa John

:agreed:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Transportation episode was pretty bad.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Agreed. Could have been interesting but their endless "bickering" and pretending was kind of awful.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Veskit posted:

They really need to do a dollop on podcast ads in the late 2000s so they can make comparisons to today's podcasts that still have ads.

What were those Pepsi ones on Earwolf? SNAP...FIZZ...THE REFRESHING TASTE OF PEPSI NEXT IS FLOWING INTO YOUR EARHOLES

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The transportation episode was the best in ages. Nothing terribly surprising if you've listened to the rest of the podcast or you're up on your history, but the banter was good and they seemed like they were having a good time. I honestly hope they'll do more social justice-stuff mostly because it's something they care and get excited about. The weakness of the show is that after 200 episodes it's kind of become routine for the both of them, and rarely do either of them become truly shocked when things get weird.

Getting energy out of outrage is a viable substitute.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I went to the Denver show and it was pretty fun. Live Dave is so much quieter and better.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My biggest trouble with the transportation episode was Dave's use of the "guy hates women" character. The entire schtick was insane, anti-woman rants.

The thing is, saying dumb poo poo isn't the same thing as making insightful commentary or making jokes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's one of the most egregious examples of Dave and Gary squeezing every last drop out of a bit that wasn't great to start with.

ALSO, rather strange to have a lady guest on for this episode about how women get poo poo on and uh... having her be nearly silent WHILE they do their dumb bits.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I think Dave invited Gareth’s mom on purpose because he knew they would be talking about a lot of uncomfortable vagina stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Veskit posted:

Live Dave is so much quieter and better.

Unfortunately, Gareth is usually louder and less funny on live shows. He tends to go on and on with bits that are not at all good, and he doesn't seem to know when to stop them.

Rodyle posted:

ALSO, rather strange to have a lady guest on for this episode about how women get poo poo on and uh... having her be nearly silent WHILE they do their dumb bits.
Gareth's mom usually doesn't talk a whole lot during the episodes where she sits in.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

RandomPauI posted:

My biggest trouble with the transportation episode was Dave's use of the "guy hates women" character. The entire schtick was insane, anti-woman rants.

The thing is, saying dumb poo poo isn't the same thing as making insightful commentary or making jokes.

The whole of the episode would be the insightful commentary.

dougdougdougdoug fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 31, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, this could get us into a semantics debate so let's agree to disagree.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lol Dave's fury at people skipping the insane ads.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rodyle posted:

Did he say that during the show today? I have gotten into the habit of skipping the first 10 minutes :-D

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He said that if it keeps up he'll put the ads in the middle.

Both the complaints and people posting the episode start times.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rodyle posted:

I've taken The Dollop out of my auto playlist because the ads are so bad. If an episode came up while I was driving and unable to skip ads I'd be stuck listening to 10-15 minutes of nonsense.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thaaaaat's Dave!

E ^you don't understand, the advertisers are WATCHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rodyle posted:

Thaaaaat's Dave!

E ^you don't understand, the advertisers are WATCHING