Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I always liked in the comics how weak his motivation was. It made him seem scarier since he was a deluded maniac who'd written a story in his head where he's the hero and Spider-man's the villain, even though he kills people.

I mean, I can see why someone would like that. But I never really cared about 616 Eddie Brock as a character at all really. In the cartoon I came to like the character well before they even went down that route and the way they planted the seeds really worked for me when it finally happened.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That is very true but I don't think it's possible for Marvel to be that detailed anymore. Did EMH even have that level of build-up?

I thought the first season of the new Spider-Man did a really good job establishing the rift between Peter and Harry as well very much like Spectacular did with Peter and Brock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

X-O posted:

I thought the first season of the new Spider-Man did a really good job establishing the rift between Peter and Harry as well very much like Spectacular did with Peter and Brock.

I forgot about that...though sometimes, at least for me, it felt like Harry was complaining a lot and ignoring obvious "He did just save my life" type scenarios, but when it didn't feel forced like that, it was good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That is very true but I don't think it's possible for Marvel to be that detailed anymore. Did EMH even have that level of build-up?

I think they wanted to but then Jeph Loeb got involved.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive never seen spectacular spidey so i dunno specifically what youre referring to but doom was teased in like the third ep but was never seen until s2 and the skrulls were teased halfway through s1 and the secret invasion arc didnt happen until like near the end of s2

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

site posted:

ive never seen spectacular spidey so i dunno specifically what youre referring to but doom was teased in like the third ep but was never seen until s2 and the skrulls were teased halfway through s1 and the secret invasion arc didnt happen until like near the end of s2

Wasn't one of the two arcs in EMH S2 supposed to actually be for s3 but got rushed?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have no idea what was supposed to be in s3 but id imagine the last episode (where galactus shows up, they form the avengers initiative with 30 members and they beat him and four heralds all in 20 minutes) wouldve been an arc if they had the time

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

i have no idea what was supposed to be in s3 but id imagine the last episode (where galactus shows up, they form the avengers initiative with 30 members and they beat him and four heralds all in 20 minutes) wouldve been an arc if they had the time

Ah that was it. I believe they are on record as saying that was supposed to be a whole thing in the following season.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Surtur was built up as the big threat that season and in the end he was ignored and never resolved.

And they just brought Galactus in out of nowhere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't watched it since it was on the air, but wasn't season 2 full of teasers for Surtur directly out of Simon's Thor that they didn't actually do anything with?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah they had a beta ray bill origin episode where surtur attacks his ship

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And one episode ends with Surtur forging his sword in a straight rip of the "DOOM! DOOM!" panels.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

And one episode ends with Surtur forging his sword in a straight rip of the "DOOM! DOOM!" panels.

That specifically is what I was thinking of, I thought multiple episodes ended that way, like how there was a page of it it in a bunch of the Simonson issues before the poo poo went down.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, I love the current Spider-man cartoon. It's so anime that S2 already had a Beach Episode and Ultra Instinct Doc Ock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't that cartoon start just a couple months ago? How is it season 2 already?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't that cartoon start just a couple months ago? How is it season 2 already?

Started in October last year. Technically June, but Disney keeps doing a thing of showing a cartoon's premiere and then shelving it for a couple of months.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Young Justice season 3 lineup revealed

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/06/28/...tm_content=Link

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Hopefully the other 10+ members twle a more secondary role and they can focus on making the main cast fleshed out.

Also finally watched season 2 of Spider-Man..wasn’t a good start. Weird move to start with teasing a Doc Ock redemption when the last time we saw him he had literally enslaved people.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Despite getting burned by season 2 I kinda want to see this. However there's no way I'm signing up for yet another streaming service on a "maybe this won't suck?" trial.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Despite getting burned by season 2 I kinda want to see this. However there's no way I'm signing up for yet another streaming service on a "maybe this won't suck?" trial.

I really wouldn't mind a super Time Warner mega stream package, but DC only better be cheap as gently caress. I'm talking maybe $7 max. And even that is too much considering they have announced 4 projects, 2 of which don't even start this year. TW/WB has a massive library of content but what can you do?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They announced it'll also have comics like Marvel Unlimited, and also they're remastering BTAS for it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

They announced it'll also have comics like Marvel Unlimited, and also they're remastering BTAS for it.

Comic library is good, hopefully they do better than MU when it was released. MU had massive gaps in its library for a long time (dunno how it is lately.) Hopefully the readers are less buggy. I had problems with both the app and desktop MU being a little buggy. I'm kind of over BTAS tbh. It's been streaming on Amazon for ages so I kind of don't care too much about a remastered cartoon so much. A big perk would be putting the DTV movies on there as they release. Hopefully they do that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Comic library is good, hopefully they do better than MU when it was released. MU had massive gaps in its library for a long time (dunno how it is lately.) Hopefully the readers are less buggy. I had problems with both the app and desktop MU being a little buggy. I'm kind of over BTAS tbh. It's been streaming on Amazon for ages so I kind of don't care too much about a remastered cartoon so much. A big perk would be putting the DTV movies on there as they release. Hopefully they do that.

In regards to MU if it was published since, like early 2000 it's definitely on there (aside from MAX stuff, but that's for different reason and will probably never be there). Older stuff still has gaps, but they add like 20+ comics from the back catalog every week. Any major event is probably there, I know from listening to old Jay and Miles Explain the X-Men episodes that X-tinction Agenda didn't have the New Mutants issues, they are there now, but they are still missing like a dozen issues of the full original run.

Seriously, though there are thousands of comics on Marvel Unlimited right now still some gaps, but getting they're filled every week (that's what she said).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
First (grainy) look at She-Ra's design from the upcoming cartoon series

Not much but there should be an official release soon. It's set to premiere at Netflix still in 2018 and it's showrunner is Noelle Stevenson(Nimona and Lumberjanes)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is He-man going to be in the show?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Is He-man going to be in the show?

No, he's getting a live action movie or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aw. That limits She-Ra's villains and supporting cast quite a bit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're including almost literally everyone from the OG She-Ra cartoon and toy-line, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What's Hordak without Skeletor to bicker with?

I mean don't get me wrong, this show looks neat and I'm obviously not the target audience. I'm just being a big nerd.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 15, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, this show looks neat and I'm obviously not the target audience. I'm just being a big nerd.

Let Shadow Weaver be a bit snarkier and boom, you're done.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't DC recently put out a super dark and gritty comic with He-Man and She-Ra where she was the long lost sibling raised to be like a ruthless mercenary by Hordak on another planet? I'm sure that was super good!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

They're including almost literally everyone from the OG She-Ra cartoon and toy-line, though.

The problem is most of the She-Ra characters not borrowed from He-Man suck balls, and I say that as a massive MOTU geek

Lurdiak posted:

The problem is depending on how restrictive they are being, we might not even have Hordak or any of the other members of the Evil Horde who originated from the MOTU line and not the Princess of Power line

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

The problem is most of the She-Ra characters not borrowed from He-Man suck balls, and I say that as a massive MOTU geek

The problem is depending on how restrictive they are being, we might not even have Hordak or any of the other members of the Evil Horde who originated from the MOTU line and not the Princess of Power line

Extremely dang.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lurdiak posted:

Extremely dang.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they're just keeping He-Man and Skeletor away while letting She-Ra get established, and then they'll come into play after that movie Sony is doing comes out next year

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drrockso20 posted:

Hopefully I'm wrong and they're just keeping He-Man and Skeletor away while letting She-Ra get established, and then they'll come into play after that movie Sony is doing comes out next year

OK. But where does the she was raised by Hordak to be evil plot kick in? Come on, don't tell me with that art style above they're not gonna do that story.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I honestly don't remember Skeletor showing up in She-Ra. I just remember Hordak.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Samuringa posted:

First (grainy) look at She-Ra's design from the upcoming cartoon series

Not much but there should be an official release soon. It's set to premiere at Netflix still in 2018 and it's showrunner is Noelle Stevenson(Nimona and Lumberjanes)

Whoa what??? Ok im super in now!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

pubic works project posted:

I honestly don't remember Skeletor showing up in She-Ra. I just remember Hordak.

There was a Christmas special where Skeletor learned the true meaning of the holiday and saved some kids from Hordak.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New EW article with official pics. As someone with zero prior investment in the property, it looks pretty good to me. It'll also piss off some of the worst people on the planet, which is not a bad thing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Yeah while the animation isn't my favorite, I don't know enough to comment other than I'll give it a shot and I hope Hordak looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

pubic works project posted:

Yeah while the animation isn't my favorite, I don't know enough to comment other than I'll give it a shot and I hope Hordak looks cool.

It's definitely no Thundercats Roar, at least.

That might still be a decent show, idk, but without going full "loving CalArts" or putting the original series on a pedestal it doesn't deserve, it's hard to deny that it's aping certain stylistic trends in mid-2010s animation to an almost cynical degree.