Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All I want to know is if Disney kept the racist crows for the Dumbo remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember hearing that the last Divergent movie was going to be shunted off to television because the one before it flopped - did that ever end up happening?

Shailene Woodley - y’know, the woman playing the main character of every movie - said in a public interview that she refuses to do it if it becomes a TV series, and then the producers were all like “ummmmm, gently caress” and tried to pretend they never said anything about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I know that no one gives a poo poo about Narnia besides the first book and possibly the second/some of the third, but it's kind of crazy how much trouble that franchise had after the first one when stuff like Maze Runner and Divergent are still a thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maze Runner made money because it was fairly cheap since it starred nobody. The only reason the last one took so long to come out was because the star almost loving died while filming and they had to wait for him to recover.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

I know that no one gives a poo poo about Narnia besides the first book and possibly the second/some of the third, but it's kind of crazy how much trouble that franchise had after the first one when stuff like Maze Runner and Divergent are still a thing.

I don't know if that's too surprising. The dystopian worlds of Maze Runner, Divergent et al are all pretty tonally distinct from anything in the Narnia books. Most the Narnia books past the first are either about quashing a threat before it can become a threat or about restoring a temporarily disrupted status quo of "everything is great, actually."

If you want a story like Divergent (or if you want to produce a show like Divergent) there's not much for you in Narnia outside the age bracket, and even then Narnia's a little more young.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

I haven't seen any Narnia movies beyond the first one, but I imagine they all are like the ending of Return of the King where audiences expected more of Two Towers, and audiences caught on really fast.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Once you get outside the main trilogy (TLTW&TW/PC/VotDT) the Narnia books either get unfilmable due to the Christian stuff being really obvious (The Magician's Nephew, The Last Battle) too samey (The Silver Chair is basically Voyage but on land and less interesting) or just crazy racist (The Horse and His Boy takes place in Narnia's Turkey/Arabia analogue it uh it's a product of its time)

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 15, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Magician's Nephew at least has some cool imagery. Like finding the White Witch in the dead world. Or the whole world between world place which is an endless forest. Yeah it does get super religious when you have the creation of Narnia being literally Genesis.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
IIRC most of the Christian stuff in Magicians Nephew is contained to the last few chapters. It's The Last Battle that goes balls to the wall crazy from the word go. Even when I was a little kid I could tell that book was kind of nuts.

The whole premise of that book essentially boils down to "the apocalypse happens because a talking ape and his buddy scammed a ton of people with a really convincing lion costume".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/FocusFeatures/status/1017844820985835520

I guess Bill Murray likes doing zombie movies or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

So this is why he's not in Zombieland 2 (aside from being dead in the movie).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

The fact that a character died in a zombie movie shouldn't really be a barrier to them returning in the sequel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MrBling posted:

Jim Jarmusch zombie comedy is not a combination of words I thought I'd read today. And dat cast!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fact that a character died in a zombie movie shouldn't really be a barrier to them returning in the sequel

He didn't play a character, he was literally playing Bill Murray in Zombieland.

His dying words was expressing regret for having made the Garfield movie. Seriously.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Timby posted:

This just came up in another thread, but she made $20 million alone on Age of Ultron. Even subtracting taxes and agent fees, that's enough money for any adult to live on for life.

So around 200k per year for 50 years? Yeah, sounds about right.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

IIRC most of the Christian stuff in Magicians Nephew is contained to the last few chapters. It's The Last Battle that goes balls to the wall crazy from the word go. Even when I was a little kid I could tell that book was kind of nuts.

The whole premise of that book essentially boils down to "the apocalypse happens because a talking ape and his buddy scammed a ton of people with a really convincing lion costume".

Don't forget that if you discover makeup and dancing you are disallowed entry to heaven

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The projectionist instructions for Unfriended: Dark Web have been posted to Twitter and it says that the movie has two different endings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Shailene Woodley - y’know, the woman playing the main character of every movie - said in a public interview that she refuses to do it if it becomes a TV series, and then the producers were all like “ummmmm, gently caress” and tried to pretend they never said anything about it.
They should have just been like "Ok, you do that, you stupid clay eating weirdo"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

They should have just been like "Ok, you do that, you stupid clay eating weirdo"

she's approximately 95% of why anyone ever gave even a tiny poo poo about Divergent though

(the other 5% is that the soundtrack to that first movie was weirdly incredible, there's a Kendrick remix of a Tame Impala song on it and it slaps)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

The projectionist instructions for Unfriended: Dark Web have been posted to Twitter and it says that the movie has two different endings.

Awesome, modern day Clue!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Shailene Woodley did end up on TV, in HBO's award-winning adaptation of Big Little Lies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I remember the writers of Zombieland talking years ago that they wanted to get Anthony Hopkins to play himself in a then-still-hypothetical Zombieland 2. That seemed wishful thinking at the time, but now I could actually them getting him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember the writers of Zombieland talking years ago that they wanted to get Anthony Hopkins to play himself in a then-still-hypothetical Zombieland 2. That seemed wishful thinking at the time, but now I could actually them getting him.

After watching Transformers: The Last Knight, I think he'd totally be up for that

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did anyone ever watch the Amazon Zombieland pilot?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Did anyone ever watch the Amazon Zombieland pilot?

I did. I don't remember much of it, but I don't remember it being any good.

Actually the one thing I remember about it is that it had Wichita break up with Columbus prior to the start of the episode, so that they could reset to the romantic tension will they/won't they status quo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Always thought bill murray's role in zombieland and the film itself were pretty lame + forced

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Little Italy got a new poster:

it's not as good as their old poster:

This is an actual movie and not stuff from a bad photoshop thread

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Always thought bill murray's role in zombieland and the film itself were pretty lame + forced

Zombieland is very much a product of its time and should never be revisited in any way, shape, or form. Adventureland, on the other hand, holds up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I enjoyed Zombieland but there's pretty much no reason at all to keep going with it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Zombieland exists in those halcyon days when zombie movies were only mildly played out, Bill Murray as Human Meme was arguably still funny, and Jesse Eisenberg hadn't been nominated for an Oscar.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like Zombieland as a whole and I think there are scenes to it that are really good, but when it comes to amusement park/zombie crossovers, Left 4 Dead 2 is better.

Will still absolutely see Zombieland 2, when/if it ever comes out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Which reminds me. You never hear braindead idiots ramble on at length about The Chive anymore. That's nice.

I think Zombieland still holds up just fine. It's funny enough in its own right. It's not like it's Scary/Epic/Date Movie or some poo poo like that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Little Italy got a new poster:

it's not as good as their old poster:

This is an actual movie and not stuff from a bad photoshop thread

They really went over Hayden with the blur tool in that reworked poster. Dude looks like he should be on the side of a van or a cheap flea market t-shirt with all the airbrushing going on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Emma Roberts looks like she's never eaten pizza while Hayden Christensen looks like he's subsisted solely on pizza since Star Wars stopped calling

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The worst part of Zombieland is when one of the two main characters asks what was the first r rated movie they saw was, one of them replies “Anaconda”

:wtc: that’s pg-13 movie!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I just noticed Alyssa Milano and Danny Aiello are in that movie, too.

Andrea Martin?! Of Black Christmas and SCTV fame, what's she doing in thi...

quote:

Telefilm Canada

Oh, that explains it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I found this trailer while looking for something else but it seems unique in the robot thing the kid finds is a girl robot (It's Candace Cameron, since she's not in the introduction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtcIFzpLYqM

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Emma Roberts looks like she's never eaten pizza while Hayden Christensen looks like he's subsisted solely on pizza since Star Wars stopped calling

I'm 99% sure this will premiere in the US on Hallmark or UpTV (sadly, Up might have stopped playing original movies that are totally not Christian movies with the serial numbers/bibles filed off). At first I thought they should rename the movie Spicy Meatball but then I thought Spicy Meetcute.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of hallmark, i noticed that even during summer they still have two entire channels of christmas romance movies, nonstop. :wtc:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Hallmark has two months straight of new Christmas movies in November/December that averages 24 new movies during that time, and often a Christmas in July marathon (one is going on right now, sometimes those also have new movies) At least one of the mystery movie series on their mystery channel has a Christmas episode and that channel often gets converted to more Christmas romance movies if they run out of mystery films/Murder She Wrotes to air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Young Freud posted:

Dude looks like he should be on the side of a van or a cheap flea market t-shirt with all the airbrushing going on.

Which is weird because if you're looking for Hayden Christensen, you can find him in a van at a cheap flea market selling airbrushed t-shirts.