Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well this is some bull. :v:

Charge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Rush the bull down.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I know I’m right!” you shout. “Turn around!”

“You’re crazy!” Jason wails. But he does what you say.

You spin to face the bull. He’s charging straight at you. His horns look as sharp as shish kebab skewers.

What if you’re wrong?

Too late to think that way. You’ve made your choice.

So you sprint toward the bull. The twins run on either side of you, yelling.

You blink. Is it your imagination?

Or is the bull a little bit farther away?

“Yes!” you shout triumphantly. With every step you take, the bull gets smaller. In a minute, it’s a speck in the distance. Then it vanishes completely.

“It worked!” Stacey cries.

“I feel sick,” Jason groans.

You laugh. “Let’s go find that road sign and see if we can go back home again!”

quote:

The sign is as far away as it ever was. But now you know how to get to it. “All we have to do is walk in the wrong direction,” you point out.

“Cool! Let’s go,” Stacey says.

In a few minutes, you reach the sign. It says

THE PALACE HOLDS THE KEY.

DISCOVER THE QUEEN’S MIRROR

AND YOU’LL SOON BE HOME FREE.

An arrow points ahead into a thick, dark forest.

“The Palace?” Stacey exclaims. “The Queen?”

“Who wrote this?” you ask. “What does it mean?”

“I think it’s for us,” Jason announces. “I think it means that the way home is through this Palace place.”

Jason may be kind of timid, but he’s pretty smart. “Sounds good to me,” you declare. “Let’s go.”

By walking in the opposite direction, you and the twins are soon in the forest. It’s a gloomy place. The trees are so thick that hardly any light can get through. Long, slimy, purple-leafed vines choke the path. You hear things moving in the bushes.

“Aroooo!” A loud, deep sound booms somewhere up ahead. It’s a cross between a howl and a growl.

quote:

“What’s that noise?” Jason cries.

“I don’t know!” you whisper.

“AROOOOO!” The sound is louder now. Closer.

Even Stacey is scared. “Maybe we should go back,” she says.

You stop and glance back. Thick vines have grown over the places you walked. The path is gone! You try to break the vines apart. But they grow back instantly.

You gulp. “We’ll have to keep going,” you assert.

“AROOOOOO!” This time the howl is so loud that the ground shakes. Your eyes dart around fearfully. You can’t see anything through these thick vines! What’s out there?

“Come on!” Jason cries. He takes off running.

Your heart thudding, you tear after him. Stacey’s right behind you.

quote:

Ahead of you, Jason stops so fast that you plow right into him. Then Stacey plows into you. The three of you sprawl on the ground in a pile.

When you untangle yourselves, you see what made Jason stop. There’s a fork in the path! On the right branch, a sign says PALACE OF MIRRORS. A sign on the left says LOREO.

“The Palace!” Stacey cries. “Let’s go!”

You start to follow her. But then you remember something. “Wait!” you call. “Lots of things in this world are backward. What if the signs are backward too?”

“I see what you mean,” Jason exclaims. “The path to the Palace might really be the path to the Loreo.”

“What’s a Loreo, anyway?” asks Stacey.

Jason shudders. “I hope we don’t find out.”

“AROOOO!”

“Hurry,” Stacey urges. “Pick one of the paths!”

It's up to you. If you think the path labeled PALACE OF MIRRORS will lead to the Palace, turn to PAGE 109.

But if you think the path labeled LOREO will take you to the Palace, go to PAGE 102.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Take the path with the LOREO label.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's go to Loreo.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
What the gently caress is a Loreo?

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
This story has taken a rather massive genre shift.

Maybe it's not actually Loreo, but Oerol?

Oerol ot og

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

rudecyrus posted:

What the gently caress is a Loreo?
I think it's supposed to be L'Oreo, a French cookie.
That's sounds pretty good. Let's go there.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You choose the path that says LOREO. In this backward world, you’re sure you’ll find the Palace that way!

“Arooo!” As you hurry along the left-hand path, the hideous sound grows fainter. You relax. Soon you’ll reach the Palace. Then, somehow, you’ll find the way home.

The problem is, you aren’t getting anywhere. After walking for at least an hour, you’re still in the woods. You peer ahead. All you can see is – more woods!

“I’m tired,” Jason complains.

“I’m thirsty,” Stacey adds.

You push through a tangle of leaves. And then you stop.

“Oh, no!” Jason groans.

“You and your bright ideas,” Stacey snaps at you.

quote:

You’ve emerged from the forest into a meadow. In the center stands a big, yellow-striped tent. A sign over the tent doorway says SEE THE AMAZING LOREO.

The sign on the path wasn’t backward after all! The Palace must be the other way!

“Let’s start walking back,” Jason says grumpily.

“Wait!” Stacey exclaims. “I want to see the Loreo.”

You’re curious yourself. “Me too,” you tell Jason.

You step up to the doorway of the tent. A thin man in a tall black hat holds up his hand to stop you. “Tickets?” he demands.

“Where do we buy them?” you ask.

“Buy them?” the man repeats. He laughs. “What an idea! You don’t buy them. I give them to you.”

You should have guessed. It’s backward!

The man hands each of you a ticket. “Have a seat inside,” he says. “The Loreo will appear shortly.”

You step through the doorway. The inside of the tent is lined with mirrors. And one of them looks exactly like the mirror you came through to enter this backward world!

You rush up to it. Maybe your problems are over!

quote:

You gaze into the mirror, hoping to see the world you came from. The real world.

Instead, you see – nothing.

There is no reflection inside this mirror! Behind the glass, there’s just – nothing.

“Creepy!” Stacey mutters. “What kind of mirror is this?”

“A backward mirror,” you answer with a sigh. “But maybe we can step through it. Maybe it will take us back home.”

“I doubt it,” Jason says glumly. “We still haven’t found whatever Professor Shock told us to find. But let’s try it.”

“I don’t want to go yet! I want to see the Loreo,” Stacey objects. “Come on, let’s sit down.”

“No! Let’s go!” Jason whines.

You’re feeling cranky yourself. Should you just give up on the Loreo and try the mirror? Or would you rather wait for the Loreo after all?

Which will it be? Step through the mirror on PAGE 28, or wait for the Loreo on PAGE 125.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
this loreo better be worth it

It feels weird that there's a huge chunk of this book that has absolutely nothing to do with Professor Shock.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Clearly the Loreo is Professor Shock.

Or something. Maybe we find out if we wait.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

It feels weird that there's a huge chunk of this book that has absolutely nothing to do with Professor Shock.

Is Professor Shock a werewolf? That would explain that. :v:

L'Oreo. Because we're worth it.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

I think it's supposed to be L'Oreo, a French cookie.

It's 5 am and I realized that "Loreo" may be derived from "lore". Like Amazo the Clown or something.

We wait to receive our lore.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Leraika posted:

Technically, the title only said we'd be dealing with Professor Shock's creations, not necessarily Professor Shock himself.

quote:

“We’ll wait for the Loreo,” you decide. You remember what happened the last time you stepped through a mirror. It’s too risky to try without knowing what you’re doing!

You and Jason seat yourselves. Stacey, of course, has too much energy to stay in one place. She wanders around the tent, peering into all the other mirrors.

“Hey! Look at this, guys,” she calls suddenly.

You and Jason cross to where she’s staring into a big, strange-looking mirror with a red frame. You peek in.

“Cool!” you exclaim when you glimpse your reflections.

Stacey’s head is tiny. Your head is as big as a watermelon, while your body is wide, fat, and very short. Jason is incredibly tall and skinny and crimped like a crinkle-cut french fry.

“It’s a fun house mirror!” Jason cries.

“Maybe we could step through it,” Stacey says, her eyes sparkling. “That could be really fun!”

Before you can answer, a loud roar splits the air. It sounds as if a whole pride of lions is approaching!

quote:

Your stomach knots. “Wh-what’s that?” you stammer.

“I bet it’s the Loreo,” Jason predicts glumly.

“RRROWWWWWRRRR!” A huge, tan beast bounds into the tent. It’s built like a lion, only bigger. Its toes are tipped with knifelike claws. But the thing’s claws aren’t nearly as scary as its face. It looks like a furry crocodile, with a pointed snout and sharp, jagged teeth. Hundreds of them. And they’re snapping at you.

The ticket man pops his head through the doorway. “Here’s the Loreo,” he announces cheerfully. “Tah-dah!

“We’ve seen enough!” you shout. “Take it away!”

“Sorry,” he replies. “It’s time for the Loreo’s dinner.”

“What does it eat?” Stacey asks.

The ticket man smiles. “Kids!” he replies.

Stacey gulps. “Could we forget I asked?” she mutters.

The Loreo ambles toward you, drooling. You glance around desperately. There’s a gap between the tent and the grass outside. Can you squeeze through before the Loreo pounces? Or should you try to step through the fun house mirror?

Duck through the gap on PAGE 111.

Try the fun house mirror on PAGE 92.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 15, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Duck through the gap.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

To the Fun House! Sounds silly enough to work.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

PumpkinBat posted:

It's 5 am and I realized that "Loreo" may be derived from "lore". Like Amazo the Clown or something.
Well dang. It was a nice theory while it lasted.

Let's relive the first book and hit the fun house.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You’ll never make it through the gap fast enough to escape the Loreo. “All together!” you shout. “We’ll go through the fun house mirror.”

“What if it’s not that kind of mirror?” Jason asks.

“Then we’re monster-meat,” Stacey tells him.

The Loreo’s hot breath sears the back of your neck. In the fun house mirror, it appears even bigger, more terrifying. Its teeth are the size of shovels. It opens its mouth wide, wider.

It’s about to bite your head off!

“One. Two. Three. Geronimo!” you shout and dive straight into the mirror. Jason and Stacey are on either side of you.

To your relief, its surface is soft and rubbery. Your arms and legs tingle as your body passes through.

You hit the ground on the other side.

THUD! THUD! Jason and Stacey land beside you.

You’re lying on some kind of wooden platform. “Whew. We’re safe!” you exclaim, picking yourself up.

Then you get a good look at Stacey. And you realize you spoke too soon.

quote:

Stacey has grown! Her arms and legs are like pudgy balloons. But her head has shrunk to the size of an apple!

“What’s wrong with you?” you gasp.

“With me?” Stacey demands. Her voice is high and squeaky. She sounds like a talking gerbil. “I was about to ask you the same thing! Your head looks like a balloon!”

“You both look like weirdos!” Jason screams.

You glance at him. Then you stare at him. He’s become tall and skinny. Really, really skinny. His whole body is no thicker around than a broomstick. His arms and legs are like pieces of spaghetti. His eyes are two tiny dots in his long, thin head.

You can’t help laughing. The twins look so weird! But your laugh booms out as if it’s coming through a megaphone. You reach up and touch your face.

You could fit a basketball in your mouth! It’s huge! And your head is simply enormous!

It’s all too clear what happened. Going through the fun house mirror has somehow changed your bodies. Now you look like your fun house reflections!

At that moment a bank of lights flashes on, blinding you.

quote:

“What’s going on?” Jason cries in panic.

“Where’s the door?” Stacey yells.

“Who’s there?” you demand.

A deep voice speaks from the darkness. It asks, “Contestants, are you ready?”

“What? We need help!” you exclaim. Your eyes are adjusting. But you can’t tell where the voice comes from.

“The judges are ready,” the voice says, as if you hadn’t spoken. “You’re the most beautiful entrants we’ve ever had.”

What’s with this guy? you wonder. Is he nuts? Is this some kind of sick joke? You and the twins are the weirdest-looking freaks you’ve ever laid eyes on.

“This is a mistake!” you cry. “We didn’t enter any contest!”

“Be quiet and look beautiful!” the voice orders. “The beauty contest is about to begin!”

quote:

You hear applause. “Contestant number one!” the voice calls. A spotlight skewers Jason. “Turn around!”

Jason shrugs, then turns around, showing off his weird, tall, skinny body. An unseen audience claps enthusiastically.

“Number two,” the voice orders Stacey. “Smile at the crowd.”

Stacey smiles with her tiny mouth and waves eagerly. The applause is polite. But it isn’t as loud as it was for Jason.

“Number three,” the voice booms. A spotlight shines down on you. “Open your mouth. Show the audience your fabulous teeth.”

You don’t know what else to do, so you obey the voice. Your mouth is so big your lower jaw hits the floor. The audience yells and hoots. They love you!

“And the winner is – Contestant Number Three!” the voice declares.

You’ve one! It’s weird, but you feel almost... proud. You wave and bow, blushing all over your enormous face.

Then the stage lights go out. You can finally see the audience. They’re fun house freaks, just like you! Their faces and bodies are twisted and warped, bloated and bent.

And every single one of them is gazing adoringly at you.

But don’t let it give you a swelled head!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Deformed hideously by traveling through a fun house mirror.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Pull the red switch.
  • Enter the mirror with our reflections.
  • Split up to escape the bull.
  • Follow the path labeled PALACE OF MIRRORS.
  • Enter the mirror in the tent.
  • Duck through the gap in the tent.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Looks like Jason took a trip to Amigara Fault.

Duck through the gap

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In the end, the most important thing was how beautiful we were on the inside (of the mirror). :unsmith:

Dodge the Loreo.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
This adventure is rapidly degrading.

Dodge through the gap!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Go through there!” you shout to the twins. You push Jason through the gap between the tent and the ground. Then you dive for it yourself.

The Loreo pounces, pinning you to the floor. Its mouth is so close you can count every one of its pointed teeth.

“Help!” you scream.

“Go away!” Stacey shouts. She picks up one of the nearby mirrors and smashes it over the Loreo’s head.

The Loreo is stunned! Only for a moment. But that’s all the time you and Stacey need to squeeze through the gap.

Behind you the Loreo screams in anger. A long tear appears in the side of the tent. Then another. It’s trying to claw its way out. It wants its dinner!

You don’t wait around. The three of you run as fast as you can away from the woods. In just a moment, you’re back among the trees, pushing through vines. You’re moving toward the fork that will take you to the Palace of Mirrors.

Or are you?

quote:

You aren’t in the woods for long before you realize that something is wrong.

Very wrong.

“This doesn’t look like the path that we took before,” Stacey murmurs. “This path is narrower.”

You gaze around. Stacey’s right. The path is narrower. Because the vines are closing in again!

You swallow hard and keep walking. But soon there’s hardly any room to move. And your foot is caught on something.

You glance down to see what it is. A thick, orange vine has wrapped itself around your ankle! The more you tug, the tighter it hugs. And it’s climbing your leg...

“A tree just grabbed me!” Stacey cries. “Let’s turn back!”

“Back where?” Jason yells. “To the Loreo? Anyway, we can’t go back. We can barely even move!”

The vine is past your waist now. Your mind churns frantically. Is this how it will end?

quote:

Then you slap your forehead. Of course! The answer is so simple you’re embarrassed it took you this long to think of it. You know how to escape the vines and find the sign to the Palace!

“Walk backward!” you tell the twins.

As fast as you can you shuffle backward. The orange vine immediately starts unwinding. You breathe a sigh of relief.

It’s hard to move through the thick vines and trees. Shoots and stems grab at your legs and arms. But you keep going. And, as you suspected, the path quickly clears.

In a few moments you arrive at a familiar fork. Ahead of you are two signs. One says LOREO. The other says PALACE OF MIRRORS.

“Let’s take the path to the Palace this time,” Jason says.

You nod. It’s got to be better than the path you just tried!

From here, it's the same as if we'd taken the other path the first time.

quote:

You and the twins hurry down the path to the Palace. At once you hear the terrifying howl again: “Aroooo!”

“Oh, no!” Stacey cries. “What’s making that awful noise?”

“It’s following us,” Jason declares. He starts to run. You and Stacey tear after him.

“AROOOOO! AROOOOOO!

The sound grows louder and louder. It seems to be coming from everywhere. It fills your head.

“Up there!” Jason cries. He points up ahead.

You screech to a stop as a huge shadow falls across the path. A shadow as tall as a building. With hundreds of arms. And thousands of grasping, twitching fingers. From behind the shadow, the noise thunders: “AROOOOOOO!”

“Get down!” you whisper. “Maybe we can sneak past it.”

You and the twins drop to your bellies and crawl along the path. Then you stop in shock. Now you can see what’s casting that horrifying shadow. And what’s making that awful sound!

quote:

A tiny beetle clings to a branch of an enormous tree. It has a gigantic, trumpet-shaped mouth.

“AROOOOOOO!” the beetle booms.

“A bug?” Jason says in disbelief.

You step up, peering at the little insect.

“AROOOOO!” it shouts.

Your head vibrates like a gong.

“Why aren’t you three in school?” a stern voice demands. You glance up to see a big man wearing a badge.

“A policeman!” Stacey cries. “Officer, can you help us find the Palace of Mirrors?”

“The Palace is across the lake,” the policeman replies. “But you can’t go there now. You kids are supposed to be in school!”

Behind the policeman you can glimpse a wide lake through the trees. Something glitters on the far shore. Is it the Palace?

“Come on,” the officer says. “I’ll take you to school.”

You hesitate. Is it worth trying to explain your problem to the policeman? If he believes you, he might help you. But your story is pretty weird. Maybe you’re better off running away and trying to get to the Palace of Mirrors on your own.

If you try to get help from the policeman, turn to PAGE 44.

If you run for the Palace instead, go to PAGE 121.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Deformed hideously by traveling through a fun house mirror.

Achievements
:siren:Sideshow Survivor: Saw the Loreo and lived to tell the tale.:siren:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
gently caress the police

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

We don't like cops in this mirror dimension.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
This is becoming an Enid Blyton book. In fact, it almost feels like the author from the Evil Knight book wrote this one.

Help us, policeman!

I seriously hope this eventually ties back into Professor Shock.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's not as bad as Evil Knight. So far. It's pretty random, though.

School's out forever.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

gently caress the police

Counterpoint: ACAB doesn't apply in Mirror World.

Ask the nice policeman for help.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Run!” you shout. You and the twins take off.

“Stop!” The policeman pounds after you.

The lake is just ahead. A blue rowboat bobs at a small dock. “Head for the boat!” you call.

You reach the dock and jump into the boat. A moment later, Stacey jumps in after you.

But where is Jason?

“Help!” Jason shouts. You and Stacey glance back.

Jason has tripped on a rock! The policeman aims a long tube at him. There’s a pop. Then a net sails through the air and drops over Jason.

“I’ve got you now!” the policeman yells.

“Untie the boat!” you instruct Stacey. “I’ll help Jason.”

You run back to your friend. He’s struggling against the net. “Hold still!” you command. Grasping the net, you wrap it more tightly around Jason’s body.

“Stop it!” Jason shrieks. “You’re making it tighter!”

“Don’t squirm,” you tell him. Tightening the net is the only way you can think of to make it loose. You pull it even tighter.

The net falls off!

You help Jason up and start running. The policeman is right behind you. You jump into the boat. “Row!” you shout.

quote:

You did it! You escaped!

You and the twins bob in the middle of the lake. On the far side, the Palace gleams in the sun. Colored light reflects off its shiny sides. It seems to be made entirely of mirrors.

“It’s beautiful!” Stacey exclaims.

“So what?” Jason grumbles. “It’s probably as crazy as everything else in this backward place.”

You’ve learned your lesson, so you row as hard as you can in the wrong direction. The boat moves swiftly toward the Palace. Soon, with a gentle bump, you land on the shore.

You and the twins climb out of the boat and gaze upward. The Palace of Mirrors is enormous! The gleaming walls reflect the lake, the trees, and the sky.

You made it! Now all you have to do is find the Queen’s mirror.

quote:

You squeeze through a narrow opening between two tall mirrors. It leads into an entrance hall. You and the twins walk in – and stop, shocked.

The inside of the Palace is made of mirrors too! Everywhere you look, hundreds of reflections of yourself gaze back at you.

“What a strange place!” Stacey exclaims.

“I never saw so many mirrors,” Jason says. “One of these must be the one we’re looking for.”

“No way!” Stacey disagrees. “They wouldn’t keep the Queen’s mirror in some lousy entrance hall! It must be in another part of the Palace. I bet it has its own special room.”

“We should search in here first,” Jason insists.

“It’s a waste of time,” Stacey retorts.

You sigh. Sometimes you feel like a referee.

“I’ll tell you what we’re going to do,” you say.

If you stay and search for the Queen's mirror in the entrance hall, go to PAGE 49.

If you skip the entrance hall and search the rest of the Palace, turn to PAGE 16.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Sideshow Survivor: Saw the Loreo and lived to tell the tale.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's search the entrance.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Jason’s right. We should look for the Queen’s mirror in this hall before we go on,” you say.

You examine the mirrors near you. Some are round. Some are square. Some are shaped like hearts. You peer into each of them. They all seem ordinary to you.

But then, you don’t know what a queen’s mirror looks like.

“Maybe the Queen’s mirror has her name on it,” Stacey suggests.

It’s an idea. You begin checking the mirrors for names. But the only writing you find says MADE IN TAIWAN.

Then you spot something green glittering in a corner. You step over the mirrors for a closer look. But all you find is a green mirrored door, set back into a nook in the wall.

Hmm. Should you investigate what’s behind the green door? Or should you forget it and rejoin your friends?

If you try the door, turn to PAGE 7.

If you rejoin your friends, turn to PAGE 128.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's go together.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to finish investigating the entrance hall before you try any doors. You’re turning back to rejoin the twins when someone calls your name.

That’s funny. The voice is familiar, but it doesn’t belong to either of the twins. And it’s coming from nearby!

You glance around. At first you don’t see anything. Then you spot an old, cracked mirror hanging by itself in a dark corner of the doorway. You peer into it.

And gasp.

A hideous, withered old face stares back at you! It’s so wrinkled you can hardly see its eyes.

Your heart thunders. There’s something familiar about the face. You’ve seen it before. It reminds you of...

Could it be – you? As an old person?

You scream.

quote:

“Calm down!” the voice cries.

You relax. That’s Professor Shock’s voice. And it’s his face in the mirror – not you as an old person. What a relief!

“What are you doing in there?” you ask.

“It isn’t really me,” he answers. “It’s my reflection. And it was more trouble than you know to get it to appear.”

You don’t have time to chat. “Please – get us out of here!”

“I can’t,” the professor answers. “You need the Queen’s mirror to escape.”

“We know that!” you exclaim. “But we can’t find it!”

“It’s in one of the Queen’s chambers,” the professor tells you. “The Queen’s chambers are the rooms full of stone carvings. Unfortunately, that’s the most dangerous part of the backward world. Be very, very careful when you –“

You wait for the professor to finish his sentence. But his image suddenly begins to flicker. His lips move but you can’t hear his voice.

“What?” You yell. “Speak up, Professor!”

quote:

“Be careful when we what?” you shout at the mirror.

Professor Shock’s face in the mirror is fuzzy. And his voice is so faint you can barely hear it. You lean in and press your ear against the mirror.

“When you enter the Queen’s chambers,” the professor croaks, “do not touch any of her things. If you do, you’ll be lost forever.”

“But what about the mirror?” you demand.

“Gaze into it,” the old man says. “It will tell you how –“

ZZZT! His image flares for an instant. Then it’s gone – for good.

But it doesn’t matter. You know what to do now! You hurry toward the twins.

This takes us to the same page as if we'd decided to ignore the entrance hall. At least we got some useful info out of it!

quote:

“Stacey’s right. We’re not going to find the mirror here in the entrance hall,” you announce.

“Hah!” Stacey looks triumphant. “Let’s go this way!”

She hurries out of the mirrored entrance hall and down a dark, chilly corridor. Jason’s right behind her, still arguing. You move fast, trying to keep up.

After a few moments you notice that the floor slants downward. The twins are several yards ahead of you. Putting on a burst of speed, you catch up with them.

“Guess what?” you begin.

“Who cares?” Jason grumbles. “All I want is to get –“

“Look!” Stacey interrupts. With a gasp, she stops walking. You peek past her shoulder. Then you stop and stare. You have never seen anything like this in your life!

quote:

The corridor opens into a big cave. Hanging from the ceiling are hundreds of tiny objects. All are made of carved, polished stones. They twist and turn on their chains, and rainbows of colored light bounce through the huge room.

“Cool!” Stacey cries. She rushes in. The stone objects tinkle as she passes. You glance up to see a tiny horse hanging on a slender silver chain. It looks just like a real horse. But it’s made of polished rock.

“Look at this!” Jason shouts. He points to a tiny blue motorcycle hanging just inside the entrance.

“What a beautiful flower!” Stacey gushes, pointing to a red rose. “It looks so real! I’m going to pick it!”

Did you just get a piece of advice from Professor Shock? If you did, turn to PAGE 65.

If you didn't, turn to PAGE 106.

Good thing we just took that detour! Hey guys, you shouldn't -

quote:

You remember the warning Professor Shock gave you from the mirror. “Wait!” you cry. “Don’t touch it!”

“Stacey!” Jason shouts. He grabs her and tries to pull her back.

But it’s too late. Stacey touches the rose.

POP! Both your friends vanish. Just like that.

You gaze around in panic. But there’s no sign of them.

They’re gone.

quote:

“Stacey!” you cry. “Jason!”

No answer. A moment later you hear footsteps. You whirl.

A nightmare creature stands right behind you. Blue blotches cover its leathery features. Its hair looks more like filthy gray feathers than hair. It wears a long, shapeless black dress draped with strings of carved stone beads.

The creature opens its mouth, revealing long, pointed yellow teeth. “Who dares trespass in my room?” it demands.

You’re shaking in terror. But you must help the twins. “We – we thought this was the Queen’s room,” you reply.

“I AM THE QUEEN!” the creature thunders.

You’re the Queen?” you repeat, shocked.

“This is my chamber,” she tells you. “Your friends tried to steal one of my carvings. I punished them!”

“Where – where are they?” you stammer.

The Queen smiles. It’s an ugly, ugly smile. She points to the ceiling. You stare up at the hundreds of hanging stone figures. And then you gasp, as you understand what she means.

She’s turned the twins into carvings!

“What do you want?” the Queen demands.

Think over your answer. If you decide to tell the truth, turn to PAGE 101.

If you think a lie would be safer, turn to PAGE 52.

...Never mind. In hindsight, maybe we should have told them about not touching the Queen's stuff before we entered her room.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's tell the truth

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe when hiring some random kids to clean out a garage full of magic poo poo, just tell them up front because you know they are gonna get curious. Just:

"Look, beyond the red door is some weird poo poo. Stuff I've been working with for years and still don't understand, so I'd advise against going in there. If you do, and your dumb enough to touch something, here's the way all the weird poo poo works, things to do or not to do if it activates. Keep this info in mind. There, I did warn you. Just don't mess with it, it won't be worth it."

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Professor Shock is surprisingly helpful.

Telling the truth might endear us to the queen.

Besides, what possible lie could we come up with in this situation? We're here to polish your carving collection?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Honesty is the best policy.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sorry for the wait. My internet was out the last couple days. Anyway, this whole place is giving off a very "fairy tale" vibe (albeit a rather twisted one), and lying to magical beings in fairy tales rarely turns out well, so let's try telling the Queen about our quest.

quote:

You’re scared. But you decide it’s best to tell the truth. “We – we came for your mirror,” you stammer.

“My mirror?” the Queen screeches. “Never! No one may have my mirror! I need it. It tells me everything!”

“We only wanted to borrow it,” you tell her. “We wanted to look at something through it.”

The Queen stares at you in silence for a moment.

This is it, you think. I’m about to become a carving!

She makes a horrible face. Then you realize she’s smiling! She begins to laugh. It sounds like a cow choking.

“I like your honesty,” she says. “All right, I’ll give you a chance to use my mirror. And I’ll restore your friends, but you have to earn your chance.”

“I’ll do whatever you say,” you tell her.

“Not so fast!” she warns. “The task I have in mind is difficult. And if you fail...” She trails off and gives you that ugly smile again. “Your punishment will be my little surprise.”

You gulp. Sounds risky. But your friends need you!

“I’ll take the chance,” you tell the Queen.

quote:

The Queen leads you to another, smaller room. It’s piled high with little stone statues. But these aren’t shiny and bright, like the ones in the big cave. These simply look like carved rocks.

“These are my new carvings,” the Queen tells you. “Polish them! If you finish them in two hours, I’ll return your friends to their true forms. I’ll also let you use my mirror. But if you fail – look out!”

You gaze at the piles of carvings and panic. There are thousands of them!

The Queen hands you a rag and a can of wax. “Better get started,” she tells you, cackling. Then she leaves.

You grab the nearest carving and start rubbing wax over it. Gradually it becomes a deep, glowing blue. You set it aside and grab another.

As quickly as you can, you polish carving after carving. You rub wax on a stone apple, a little house, a woodpecker. All of them grow shiny and beautiful.

But after an hour, you’ve barely even made a dent in the pile. Biting your lip, you pick up another carving.

You start polishing grimly. Then you notice something very odd about the little statue.

quote:

The carving is of two turtles facing each other. But they aren’t ordinary turtles. They have human faces – angry human faces! The turtles appear to be arguing with each other.

You can’t help smiling. They look like Jason and Stacey.

Jason and Stacey!

Your heart pounds. You examine the carving closely. The faces are your friends’ faces. You’re sure of it! This is what the Queen transformed your friends into! You’ve found them!

But what should you do next?

You’re tempted to slip the carving in your pocket and make a break for it. If you manage to escape, you’ll have the carving with you. And then, somehow, maybe, you’ll find a way to turn Jason and Stacey back into real, live kids.

On the other hand, maybe you should polish the carving and hang it up. After all, the Queen said that if you didn’t polish all the carvings, you’d be punished. Who knows what her powers can do? Maybe you’d better obey her!

Quick! Make a decision. Time is running out!

If you pocket the turtles and make a break for it, turn to PAGE 133.

If you go on with your polishing, turn to PAGE 30.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Polish! Polish!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Keep polishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
We are from Poland!

Also, our protagonist had a very poor choice of words when it came to telling the Queen what we wanted.