Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

doingitwrong posted:

Cool, thanks. I’ll just keep flailing my way along then and save this guy for later.

It'd be pretty hard to use him at your level anyway, since Pokemon has always had systems in place to prevent you from completely bulldozing through the game with a friend's level 100 whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

arceus is a false idol

drifloon tries to drag kids to hell, arceus actually does it

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

If I have multiple Arceuses, does that make me a polytheist?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If you have other options I would avoid ebay and just buy a cartridge at a GameStop or local trade in place. Every last video game of any kind I've ever gotten through ebay was a bootleg.

They aren't much better with quality control. $3 gets you a fake off Alibaba and you can only tell if you take it apart, especially if it isn't one of the games with an IR sensor.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Entropist posted:

I came back to the series with Ultra Sun after quitting at Pearl, and Wonder Trade is weird. I tried to play at the same time as a friend, with us occasionally battling, but Wonder Trade gives us random overpowered legendaries or lvl 1 hatches with overpowered moves, which are much better to use in link battles than the mons you get elsewhere in the game. This makes it not very fun and disrupts the balance of the game where you get gradually stronger mons (well, except Hawlucha for some reason which is overpowered early on).

Then... don't use Wonder Trade? Having a fully random trade roulette available owns but obviously it's got the potential to mess with the balance of the game if you care about that.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Hi again. Thank you for all the Arceus / Wonder Trade advice.

Now, I am trying to log into pokemon-gl.com

e: nevermind — it fixed itself

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 14, 2018

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Also, the OT who sent me the Arceus' name is Flexii.YTUBE which it just now occurred to me to look up which led me to this video which seems to be a livestream of these things being given away. Which then says

quote:

Note: The pokemon are for training/collection purposes only. Strictly advised not to use in official tournaments !!! DO NOT USE shiny mythical at the battle spot !! However, shiny legends and regular pokemon wich u get of my stream, can be used everywhere ;)

So I guess I stumbled into some weird ~influencer~ hacked Pokemon giveaway? This is a strange new world.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...Well, that was humbling.

Nothing quite like strolling up to Necrozma, telling yourself "Okay, I got this, I can beat this, despite the horror stories I've heard."

And then watching all six of your pokemon get out-sped and oneshot.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

Also, the OT who sent me the Arceus' name is Flexii.YTUBE which it just now occurred to me to look up which led me to this video which seems to be a livestream of these things being given away. Which then says

So I guess I stumbled into some weird ~influencer~ hacked Pokemon giveaway? This is a strange new world.

Yeah, most of the big pokemon Twitch streamers just constantly run a couple of games, constantly giving away shiny pokemon. It's dumb, but it gives them views and subs, so...

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

BlazetheInferno posted:

Nothing quite like strolling up to Necrozma, telling yourself "Okay, I got this, I can beat this, despite the horror stories I've heard."

Sometimes I feel like I lucked out so hard into having just the right team comp to deal with Necrozma. I opened up with Magnezone, who then used Thunder Wave and paralyzed Necrozma. I just kept them out and attacked Necrozma until it dropped. Then I sent out Malamar and Topsy-Turvey'd to reverse the beast boosts. She dropped fast after that. Then my Primarina just Moonblasted poor Necrozma to death with little issue.

I wasn't even trying to have a team set up for it. It's just what my team ended up being at that point.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ziddar posted:

Sometimes I feel like I lucked out so hard into having just the right team comp to deal with Necrozma. I opened up with Magnezone, who then used Thunder Wave and paralyzed Necrozma. I just kept them out and attacked Necrozma until it dropped. Then I sent out Malamar and Topsy-Turvey'd to reverse the beast boosts. She dropped fast after that. Then my Primarina just Moonblasted poor Necrozma to death with little issue.

I wasn't even trying to have a team set up for it. It's just what my team ended up being at that point.

Clearly your team were also higher leveled than mine in that first attempt of mine, since... you know, they actually got a chance to do literally anything. >_>

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlazetheInferno posted:

That's how Ultra Necrozma tends to go. It doesn't gently caress around, this is a boss battle and it'll let you know it is a boss battle.

I found the best way to deal with it was Mimikyu. Disguise takes a hit, letting it use Toxic. It then falls, but it can be Revived, then the Pokemon that followed Mimikyu is KOed, letting it come in again. Once there, it takes a blow, and deals that and more with Let's Snuggle Together. Afterwards, it's just a grind game until Toxic kills Necrozma.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Walrus Pete posted:

Then... don't use Wonder Trade? Having a fully random trade roulette available owns but obviously it's got the potential to mess with the balance of the game if you care about that.
Sure I can not use it, but I can't stop others from using it and then using the results against me in battle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you don't wanna fight hacked Pokemon, don't do rando online battles, sorry.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hacked pokemon on Wonder Trade has nothing to do with random online battles. For one thing, the hacked pokemon aren't illegal in a way that makes them stronger than a legitimate one (this may have been true in older games where it wasn't so easy to deal with IVs, but it isn't any more). The usual banlists etc. still apply so e.g. Arceus can't be used in the actual matchmaking mode. Using a hacked pokemon doesn't mean you know how to use it. And so forth.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there a good conceptual beginners guide to Pokemon battling & moves? Most of my searching has resulted in non-useful SEO'd Beginners Tips from gaming sites with a lot of ads. I did find this one: https://www.dragonflycave.com/mechanics/battling-basics Which seems to end at Gen 6.

I don't want a "top 10 moves to get" or "guide to the PvP meta" or anything like that. I am only on the second Island so I'm far away from all that. But I'd like more of a conceptual framework for making decisions about what moves to swap in and out when my Pokemon level up, how to think about team composition, when to use status raising/lowering abilities vs damage dealing ones (at the moment status abilities all seem like a waste because Pokemon go down in 2-3 attacks so skipping one of those to lower the other guy's defence is suicidal).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

About to hop into Pokemon Blue. Is there somewhere where I can find cool strategies for having fun in generation 1? I know some pokemon are just awful, but I don't actually know which mons and moves are worth using.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

use nidoqueen

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For the campaign, one of the best things you can do is get to Fuchsia City as fast as possible to get the Super Rod - you can do it between Lt. Surge and Erika - and use it to catch a Slowpoke. Let it learn Amnesia.

Getting to Fuchsia early also means you can access the Safari Zone and can try to catch a Tauros, which is really strong. Give it Hyper Beam, and exploit the hilarious fact that in gen 1 you don't have to recharge if you score a KO with it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my childhood memories tell me that a nidoking with Thrash will destroy almost anything in its path

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ariong posted:

About to hop into Pokemon Blue. Is there somewhere where I can find cool strategies for having fun in generation 1? I know some pokemon are just awful, but I don't actually know which mons and moves are worth using.

Get Squirtle. Use it exclusively. When you get access to Ice Beam in Celadon, teach it Ice Beam. Ice Beam Surf and ANYTHING ELSE will kill everything.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it wont kill lapras

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

doingitwrong posted:

Is there a good conceptual beginners guide to Pokemon battling & moves? Most of my searching has resulted in non-useful SEO'd Beginners Tips from gaming sites with a lot of ads. I did find this one: https://www.dragonflycave.com/mechanics/battling-basics Which seems to end at Gen 6.

I don't want a "top 10 moves to get" or "guide to the PvP meta" or anything like that. I am only on the second Island so I'm far away from all that. But I'd like more of a conceptual framework for making decisions about what moves to swap in and out when my Pokemon level up, how to think about team composition, when to use status raising/lowering abilities vs damage dealing ones (at the moment status abilities all seem like a waste because Pokemon go down in 2-3 attacks so skipping one of those to lower the other guy's defence is suicidal).

If you'll just play the main game, don't think too hard about it. Focus on offensive moves, be sure to keep different types (don't have four Fire moves), be sure to keep a STAB move in those four types, and just rotate with the higher-power moves you can get. Be sure to keep variety between your team too. If you want something a bit deeper, check your Pokemon's ATK or SP. ATK stat, be sure your moves are of the right category (higher ATK = physical, higher SP. ATK = special). Also, stuff like Surf can be more useful than Hydro Pump due to higher accuracy, so on the high-end of moves (around 90 BP) check accuracies and choose how risky you want to play. Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Thunderbolt/Thunder and Surf/Hydro Pump are the three examples that come to mind in that, for high accuracy/high power respectively.

Ariong posted:

1) Get a Nidoking
2) Teach it Horn Drill
3) Have lots of X Accuracies
4) Use one (1) X Accuracy at every battle start

Congratulations, you have a one-hit KO move that cannot miss. You are now effectively the grim reaper.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ariong posted:

There's only one Master Ball, so use it wisely. I suggest using it on a Pokemon you want but is hard to catch, like a Fearow or a Tentacruel.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This is where I post me catching Fearow and Tentacruel with a Master Ball in my LPs, but I cba.

Use Dodrio, it hits really hard with Drill Peck and Hyper Beam, and it can Fly you around. Top tier pick.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

BlazetheInferno posted:

Clearly your team were also higher leveled than mine in that first attempt of mine, since... you know, they actually got a chance to do literally anything. >_>

I barely used the exp share, so I don't think I was overleveled. Magnezone had the advantage of resisting all of Necrozma's attacks. It can also have Sturdy as its ability, making sure it will get an attack off. Having the rest of the battle with Necrozma's speed cut in half certainly made it easier. It also made sure that my Malamar could actually use Topsy-Turvey before dropping hard.

But as I said, it was pretty much luck that my team was a good match. It is absolutely meant to be difficult.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 15, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ziddar posted:

I barely used the exp share, so I don't think I was overleveled. Magnezone had the advantage of resisting all of Necrozma's attacks. It can also have Sturdy as its ability, making sure it will get an attack off. Having the rest of the battle with Necrozma's speed cut in half certainly made it easier. It also made sure that my Malamar could actually use Topsy-Turvey before dropping hard.

But as I said, it was pretty much luck that my team was a good match. It is absolutely meant to be difficult.

I'm actually the same way with the exp. share; though not because it would make things too easy. In my case, it has to do with my compulsive need to keep my entire team the same level. With pokemon who level at different speeds, the exp share inevitably results in me using nothing but the slower-levellers, while the rest coast up the free levels while barely ever seeing any use.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also make sure to watch your PP. If your enemy only has a bit of health left, don't waste any powerful moves like Swift.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ever since B/W I've had very large rotating teams thanks to leveling up being so easy.

They're all my friends. :colbert:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I did a 12 Pokemon team for an X run. It was really fun!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What the hell does a Pokemon streamer do? Like, it's it competitive battling or are they just playing through the games constantly? Because as much as I love Pokemon I don't think anyone's called it a compelling watch since the original TPP.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

What the hell does a Pokemon streamer do? Like, it's it competitive battling or are they just playing through the games constantly? Because as much as I love Pokemon I don't think anyone's called it a compelling watch since the original TPP.

Competitive battles, catching shinies, and the aforementioned constant wonder trades, mostly.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Hellioning posted:

Competitive battles, catching shinies, and the aforementioned constant wonder trades, mostly.

How does the wonder trading even provide an entertaining stream? Is there any commentary or is it just a room where people watch the stream of bot-traded mons

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Don't forget speedruns!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like watching randomizer bingo races sometimes

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waffleman_ posted:

There's only one Master Ball, so use it wisely. I suggest using it on a Pokemon you want but is hard to catch, like a Fearow or a Tentacruel.

Oak u piece of poo poo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Largest team I've ever had was in BW2, with

Serperior, Samurott, Darmanitan, Jellicent, Stoutland, Unfezant, Skarmory, Zoroark, Lucario, Espeon, and Ampharos

Thank you, Black Mesa, where Dark Lord Satan reigned with his 3 dojos and 3 cafes for easy leveling, pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars per day from Nimbasa to fund itself

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

that ivy guy posted:

How does the wonder trading even provide an entertaining stream? Is there any commentary or is it just a room where people watch the stream of bot-traded mons

It's more like a lottery, you watch and you start a wonder trade as they are sending the prize mon out for a chance to get it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What ever happened to the pokemon Bill fused with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dizz posted:

What ever happened to the pokemon Bill fused with?

It was never real. He was just embarrassed that you caught him in his fursuit.