Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He's notable as a decorated cuban amateur to defect at a young age too, usually they're already a fair bit older by the time they get to the pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's weird that Pacquiao is fighting Matthysse tonight and nobody really cares, myself included

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

doctor thodt posted:

It's weird that Pacquiao is fighting Matthysse tonight and nobody really cares, myself included

holy poo poo i legitimately did not know. it'll be good. might even switch over from the ufc to watch these two attempt to retire each other.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Also do note that (in the US at least) it's on the ESPN+ service and not on tv. I'm already signed up for it but you can get a free trial through espn.com or the espn app.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

yeah, between rugby and boxing ESPN+ is worth it for me.

also on regular ESPN now is Regis Prograis if you're wanting to watch a good fighter

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, between rugby and boxing ESPN+ is worth it for me.

also on regular ESPN now is Regis Prograis if you're wanting to watch a good fighter

It's been an incredibly one sided fight for the last two rounds but I look forward to seeing Prograis moving forward.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just saw Prograis replace all of a man's organs with boxing glove shaped holes while the ref and his corner just watched

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Just saw Prograis replace all of a man's organs with boxing glove shaped holes while the ref and his corner just watched

that ref, of course, was Laurence Cole

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah what the gently caress was that, somebody should have called that way earlier.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I imagine it's pretty weird for Joe Tess/Kriegel and Tim calling these fights from a screen in an empty arena in New Orleans.

Not quite as weird as these ring card girls wearing ball gown dresses though

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hyped to see manny set up that floyd rematch tonight lads

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I'm personally a big fan of the ring having sponsorship for Manny's own cryptocurrency (and a Bitcoin exchange), in addition to San Mig Beer and other actual things

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh good, Rodrigo "your ambassador is a gay son of a bitch" Duterte is there, in case anyone forgot what a weirdo scumbag Pac has become.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The SituAsian posted:

Not quite as weird as these ring card girls wearing ball gown dresses though

Malaysia is v v Muslim so it's probably a smart thing to do

also, hearing the ESPN commentators poo poo on having 4 dozen belts and Manny relying too much on his hangers-on is refreshing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This fight is bad boooo

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

This would've been so good 6 years ago but on the other hand they've both aged in an equally poo poo manner so it might still be good

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chris Algieri is coming back I guess?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I just hope pac falls apart in the ring and we can watch it happen in slomo replays.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Man, Buffer needs to hang up the gloves. It's just sad to listen to him now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

well he's at the right event then

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Man, Buffer needs to hang up the gloves. It's just sad to listen to him now.

I don't know, I think he could take either of these guys.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lucas wearing a Falklands War shirt is a top-tier move

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

excited to be in a pac fight thread with like 2 other people

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Pacquiao looks like he's in 2013-2016 form and Matthysse looks hella washed

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lucas is so shot manny might actually get a stoppage

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

Lucas wearing a Falklands War shirt is a top-tier move

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

thehappyprince posted:

lucas is so shot manny might actually get a stoppage

yeah i'm feeling it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Wtf was that? gently caress this fight

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

that looked suspicious

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lame

also gently caress Pacquiao

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lucas is shot. Hopefully MP earned enough to pay off his tax debt.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

buboy fernandez trainer of the year

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

buboy fernandez trainer of the year

Yeah, this

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This was good. Lucas is shot sure, but we knew that going in, and holy gently caress, pacquiao loving did it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Now that Pacquiao has a welterweight belt again we can finally get the fight we all want

Pacquiao-Cotto 2 in Abu Dhabi

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

manny vs cotto 2 but this time cotto is the one juicing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

i think in terms of fights id actually watch pac-khan is the funniest

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The SituAsian posted:

Now that Pacquiao has a welterweight belt again we can finally get the fight we all want

Pacquiao-Cotto 2 in Abu Dhabi

well considering how much Duterte and Pac like each other it'll probably be somewhere more oppressive.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Troy Queef posted:

well considering how much Duterte and Pac like each other it'll probably be somewhere more oppressive.

For the purposes of this exercise can it be someone outwardly benevolent like Mohammed Bin Salman or are we talking like Viktor Orban strongman?

Also I don't think there's anything really 'funny' about this fight. Matthysse is just HELLA (note the caps) washed and Manny didn't have someone 20 pounds bigger than him crashing into him all fight. If anything this makes Matthysse's win over Kiram this look even more suspicious though.

EDIT: Seriously look at this loving sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZZ7NHxw-Qo&t=25s

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eh, I think Kiram was just a bust and decided that he would rather lie down and take the paycheck than actually get hurt for real. The first KD looks real enough, in the sense that he's knocked straight back and is completely out of position and off balance while going to the ropes. His starfish flop on the ground seems a bit dramatic though. I think on the second hit he just decides he'd rather the fight end there and goes down.

In the Pac fight I think Matthysse essentially did something similar. He took that kneed when a grazing shot landed on his eye, I think it was the same eye that Viktor Postol smashed to pieces.

What I'm really impressed with in that fight is Pac's footwork and style adjustment. He no longer has the crazy speed on his footwork, but he still made the best use of his feet. Now his placement is very good and he's using a more economical style like Joe Louis or George Foreman, or even GGG I guess. It's really clever, usually fast fighters try the same stuff when they get old and it doesn't work because they're not fast anymore.