Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

it's the legacy of Andy Hertzfeld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

historical poo poo mostly. microsoft was quicker to drop the mdi model they had as an equivalent though (to some extent no doubt because it was even worse)

fun fact: excel in windows has an abomination of a hybrid model and depending on whether you open worksheets via the open dialog within a single excel instance or open them via explorer, behavior will differ and macros that modify data between sheets may or may not work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

historical poo poo mostly. microsoft was quicker to drop the mdi model they had as an equivalent though (to some extent no doubt because it was even worse)

mdi was definitely better than osx's hosed up menu bar since mdi apps still had parent windows + menu bars that would always be distinct from other applications

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

jfc they’re such bad laptops.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what if... hear me here... what if.... apple made a thick laptop and called it the big mac? do you think it will sell???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what if... hear me here... what if.... apple made a thick laptop and called it the big mac? do you think it will sell???

lomarf

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

don’t post about your desire for timb’s “special sauce”

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

fart simpson posted:

that’s super dumb

in one of the developer previews, they removed the dot indicators on the dock by default. you weren't supposed to care whether or not the app process was running, like on iOS. personally i think they should've stuck with it and kept the dots for legacy or long-running network apps like Mail

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the paradigm of an application that can continue to run with a title bar and everything but no open windows is consistently the dumbest poo poo in the mac os interface

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
gonna write a windows app that becomes a floating menu bar when you close it. you'll have to use File > Quit to get rid of it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Toady posted:

in one of the developer previews, they removed the dot indicators on the dock by default. you weren't supposed to care whether or not the app process was running, like on iOS. personally i think they should've stuck with it and kept the dots for legacy or long-running network apps like Mail

you can still turn them off in dock preferences

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fiedler posted:

gonna write a windows app that becomes a floating menu bar when you close it. you'll have to use File > Quit to get rid of it.

this is every app that minimizes to the tray hth

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

carry on then posted:

this is every app that minimizes to the tray hth

those are hidden by default. try using windows 10.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

fart simpson posted:

that’s super dumb

this is useful when you close the last open window but still want to create or open up a different document with cmd+n or cmd+o (or through the menu bar). if the app was closed your keyboard shortcuts would be cast off into the void and you would be lost, hopeless, resigned to restarting the app before you're able to once again add meaning and purpose to your life via a Pages document

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
windows is way more egregious about this poo poo in win 10 where you'll quit an app and it'll just get tucked away to the little arrow menu in the bottom right, so there's no immediate way to tell if you actually shut down the app or not

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

GenJoe posted:

windows is way more egregious about this poo poo in win 10 where you'll quit an app and it'll just get tucked away to the little arrow menu in the bottom right, so there's no immediate way to tell if you actually shut down the app or not

that is extremely irritating yes and there should be a system-wide setting for you to override that behavior. it's always the awful horseshit apps like discord and slack that do it, too. but conceptually it's very similar to apple's running-app-without-any-windows thing.

however, the concept of the little taskbar icons is not bad, since sometimes you do have a background process running that shouldn't be in the main taskbar but for which you need an indicator or whatever. i'm fine with taskbar = running apps with windows, little icons = running apps without. what is really needed is a user-facing distinction between "terminate program" and "send to invisible background process." right now clicking the x or choosing quit may do either one and that's the fundamental irritation

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

there should be a system-wide setting for you to override that behavior
right-click taskbar > taskbar settings > notification area > select which icons appear on the taskbar > always show all icons in the notification area

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

windows: conceptually very similar to apple’s thing, but bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

windows: conceptually very similar to apple’s thing, but bad.

nah they're equally stupid, just in different ways.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

the default hidden thing with the notification area is to discourage developers from using the notification area in this way. it turns out that lots of developers, though, are stubborn morons who refuse to upgrade from win7.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

windows is worse by virtue of being windows

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Sagebrush posted:

qft

sometimes I'm not sure which one I hate the most, but then windows installs candy crush again on my parents computer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

McKesson Horizon is like this when you launch it it's just a floating title and menu bar and when you pick poo poo from the menu it launches separate, tiny, floating, detached, titlebar-less windows that you interact with via menus on the floating menu bar that appear and disappear.

The first time I did remote support for that poo poo I thought it was a joke.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fiedler posted:

the default hidden thing with the notification area is to discourage developers from using the notification area in this way. it turns out that lots of developers, though, are stubborn morons who refuse to upgrade from win7.

then you failed and you need to do something different. not throw your hands up in the air and/or try to claim it was the correct behavior anyway

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

jit bull transpile posted:

McKesson Horizon is like this when you launch it it's just a floating title and menu bar and when you pick poo poo from the menu it launches separate, tiny, floating, detached, titlebar-less windows that you interact with via menus on the floating menu bar that appear and disappear.

The first time I did remote support for that poo poo I thought it was a joke.

must've just ported an osx app.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

carry on then posted:

then you failed and you need to do something different. not throw your hands up in the air and/or try to claim it was the correct behavior anyway

no u

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

must've just ported an osx app.

Lol @ the idea of enterprise health care software on Mac OS

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

jit bull transpile posted:

Lol @ the... software on Mac OS

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lesser-shaggar

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 15, 2018

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lookit all this wandows Stockholm syndrome refugees trying to post hoc justify lovely Microsoft design decisions.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chris Knight posted:

lookit all this wandows Stockholm syndrome refugees trying to post hoc justify lovely Microsoft design decisions.
yeah let the apple users do that in this thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

in tyool 2018 windows steals focus constantly

this is inexcusable bullshit

Microsoft lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
between every lovely experience you've had with an operating system, the common element was you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no the common element was Computer

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Microsoft lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

this is the thread for the bad hardware with the good operating system

you want the thread for the good hardware with the bad operating system

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im looking forward to reports on how badly the hex core mbp throttles itself under an actual workload

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

brap posted:

im looking forward to reports on how badly the hex core mbp throttles itself under an actual workload

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
so loving glad i got this 2015 before they took them off the store...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stringent posted:

so loving glad i got this 2015 before they took them off the store...

2 of my buddies did the same thing, no shame

i have a 2017 rmbp touchbar trashpos and it's "fast" but i have to use a kb (and thus a mouse too) to get anything done with it.

if apple came out with a good bluetooth kb with touchbar id maybe be intrigued