Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Also obligatory, David Cage did some sound design for Cryo back in the day, this is still his greatest contribution to gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0Qe6tN9jg

Yo this actually rules.

Also my head exploded because I just found the motherfucking Double Jump in DOOM. I can't even process this. This game absolutely needed this and I am really like beyond excitement ready to pull out all the stops from here on out. Holy poo poo.

I kinda wish I were on m+kb cause I'm really having a hard time using more than 2 weapons back and forth and I know on PC I'd be changing weapons every 4 seconds. Really not used to console FPS but this game feels really good. Also I've fallen off the map and died like 8 times this level trying to explore/not being used to how heavy your air momentum is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve been playing the OG Dead Rising game since I’ve had the remaster for a while.

I love how you can put this song on in the car and tell which of your friends played it back in the day because they’ll instantly be anxious and pissed at you:

https://youtu.be/atKUCxXanXA

It’s the Sonic drowning music of the 360/PS3 era.

Also, Indigo Prophecy ruled, while we’re on the subject of David Cage. The switching back and forth between suspect and detective gameplay was pretty unusual for the time, and even though it lost a lot of coherency with the timeskip the first two thirds of the game were really solid.

And then after the timeskip you literally kung fu fight the loving internet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's really irritating how close David Cage keeps getting to making solely a detective game and then pulling the floor out from under you. Indigo Prophecy's first half is great, I loved the Norman Jayden stuff in Heavy Rain, you've got Connor in Detroit. Just make a drat detective game, Cage!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gotta admit, the opening to indigo prophecy was pretty good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I remember liking Indigo Prophecy and then quitting when there were ghost bugs attacking me in an office building with really obnoxious QTEs

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

I remember liking Indigo Prophecy and then quitting when there were ghost bugs attacking me in an office building with really obnoxious QTEs

I like how that set up a later chapter where the detectives were interviewing you and OH GOD GHOST BUG QTE!!!

Except this time you were supposed to hit nothing, because if you did the QTE you would be flailing at invisible bugs and the detectives would be like “oh man, pretty sure this crazy dude loves killin’ people”

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m playing through the PS4 Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and it’s honestly more fun than like 80% of action games release in the last 15 years, FYI.

Sorry, but I only take game recommendations from people who know how to conjugate verbs properly.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
crash bandicoot 1 HD is a lot harder than i remember 2 being on the ps1. they really expect you to always jump off the very edge of platforms huh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Relin posted:

crash bandicoot 1 HD is a lot harder than i remember 2 being on the ps1. they really expect you to always jump off the very edge of platforms huh

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-04-fans-may-know-why-jumping-is-harder-in-the-crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i have noticed that sliding happen a bunch of times already...stuck on native fortress but i'll get through it!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Pretty cruel of NieR: A for making me start from the beginning of the Route B intro again after testing out my self destruct capabilities as soon as I got to the bunker, especially considering dying during said intro put me at closeby checkpoints. I'm not even mad at the game just at myself lol

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

VideoGames posted:

I am amazed. This was the exact face I was trying to make and describe! :D

It was so good I added it to my favorites bar to ensure I would never lose it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m planning a vacation for next month that will take me through Onomichi. It will mean the only city featured in the Yakuza series I haven’t been to will be Fukuoka. It’s gonna be hard not to say “oh no!” When I see the sign for it.

Edit: I am not going to try not to say “oh no!”

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 15, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is $120 a good deal for a Vita 1001? Mainly I want it for remote play

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I think Vita remote play kind of sucks, it's fine for slower paced games but anything actiony is going to be insanely limited by the lack of shoulder buttons and maybe click stick ones too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been playing Titanfall 2 a lot again and I used to think it was the best FPS ever made, but going back to it with a clear mind I now realize I know it’s the best FPS ever made.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheDarkFlame posted:

There's a lot of games I want to get back to but feel like it'd be an ordeal to jump back in where I was and relearn how to play the game on the fly, but also don't feel like starting over especially if I end up dropping the game yet again or going through it all to find I quit because the bit I reached sucks. I've definitely got to get back to Doom, every time it comes up in the thread I get the urge to play it but I don't remember where I even was.

I stopped playing Bloodborne a couple areas in even though I love the aesthetics because my flatmate repeatedly insisted I wasn't playing it properly (he also took great offence at me playing Dark Souls 3 without a shield, so I stopped playing that one too). Do you think I'd get away with just playing around in the first area to relearn the controls and gradually get back to being comfortable with it, or would it be worth starting again anyway?

I definitely remember beating Gascoine but I don't remember how... I remember fighting another boss in an area past him, but I couldn't say where. A wolf boss in a dilapidated town area? Or is that in DS3, I honestly don't remember which probably means I should just start again. I'm definitely getting some wires crossed and remembering parts of DS3 instead.

the first time i played bloodborne no matter what i did i couldnt beat the cleric beast, and i would struggle even getting to the werewolves on the bridge. the part leading up to the bridge with the dogs and the rifle guy and the two other guys was a huge roadblock for me. i took a LONG break, came back, found myself relatively able to get around past the bridge and into the sewers, eventually broke my face off on the cleric beast and beat him, beat gascoigne. that run eventually petered out too because i took a short break and felt like i couldnt play anymore.

after that i probably didnt play until everyone started talking about the game when it came back to ps+ and i reinstalled and assumed i would be garbage and i absolutely destroyed the first area and beat the game. i think if you were a top notch bloodborne player who took a break you might be rusty, but for whatever reason after taking breaks i found that my fundamental skill floor was way higher than each previous time i had played. i would just install the game and make a new character and remember that if you die thats just part of the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Is $120 a good deal for a Vita 1001? Mainly I want it for remote play

Steve your laptop with the remote play app and a ds4 will be a way better experience

The only reason to get a vita is to play ps1/psp games, persona, and older indies

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
DOOM owns.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I started playing Doom as well. When Gears of War came on the scene I swore that FPSes only belonged on the computer and consoles should only have third person, but between this and Titanfall 2 I’m coming around on FPS again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

el oso posted:

DOOM owns.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also haha at the new thread title!!

⛵️🚤🛥🛳🚢

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Been playing Titanfall 2 a lot again and I used to think it was the best FPS ever made, but going back to it with a clear mind I now realize I know it’s the best FPS ever made.

I'd say I'm extra picky about the FPS genre and Tf2 is absolutely in my top 3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know this was discussed before but because of SGDQ I was randomly clicking on speedruns on youtube and when it got to Doom I was like ahhh yeah this is gonna be so cool and then it was like 30 minutes of running outside of bounds and glitching through walls. Booo

What I DID find in the related videos was people trying to do high score Arcade Mode runs which is exactly what I wanted to see

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Very glad someone pointed out the impending shutdown of the Gravity Rush 2 servers; I bumped the game to the top of my backlog and tonight I got the final reward just three days before those items are no longer available to people who don't already have them.

Weirdly, the DLC costumes aren't showing up for me though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
GR2 probably would have sold well if Sony had actually bothered to market it at all. :effort:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

...! posted:

GR2 probably would have sold well if Sony had actually bothered to market it at all. :effort:

Yoko Taro did more marketing work for the game than any official marketing ever did, he talked about it and praised it as being one of his favorites in basically every interview he did for a while.

Alongside talking about how he loves to get the director of the game drunk because he gets crazy when he drinks, of course.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All I heard about GR2 is that it Wasn't Very Good. Very pretty visuals, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

...! posted:

Maybe but within hours in becomes abundantly clear why the game didn't have the word of mouth of its predecessor. Despite appreciating a lot of things about it, it's not a good game imho.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know this was discussed before but because of SGDQ I was randomly clicking on speedruns on youtube and when it got to Doom I was like ahhh yeah this is gonna be so cool and then it was like 30 minutes of running outside of bounds and glitching through walls. Booo

that sounds loving awesome though what the hell

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

codenameFANGIO posted:

that sounds loving awesome though what the hell

Out of bounds speedruns can be pretty cool when you're already familiar with the game and can see exactly how it's getting broken, but if you're not then I imagine things would just tend to look like a glitchy mess. Very impressive technically when you know what's going on but a whole lot of humping walls to the untrained eye.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Heavy Rain is dumb, spoilers because it's a PS+ IGC this month: Did things right in Hassan's shop, got the shoebox as Shelby, the shoebox Ethan got was for me the exact same. I spent most of the rest of the time wondering why Shelby was pretend-investigating his own murders and why the game tripped on its ego-dick like that.

I hope his next game is 33% Cage, because 50% Cage Detroit was leagues above the rest of his works.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

All I heard about GR2 is that it Wasn't Very Good. Very pretty visuals, though.

It definitely has problems (notably the stealth sections, and the Forms requiring touchpad-flicking instead of button-presses to swap), but overall if you liked the original you'll still love Gravity Rush 2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It definitely has problems (notably the stealth sections, and the Forms requiring touchpad-flicking instead of button-presses to swap), but overall if you liked the original you'll still love Gravity Rush 2.

For some for sure, but as general advice "love" might be a strong word. I mean, I did love some parts of it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Relin posted:

It truly is. The 2nd and 3rd are more fair but honestly you have to do near pixel perfect jumps on the first game.

Looking at the trophy completion rate is hilarious. About 77% of people make it to the first boss. Something like 40% of people only beat the second boss which comes after native fortress (which was made incredibly tougher in the remake due to the new physics)

So literally a third of the people will quit crash 1 over native fortress basically. Only one third of all players will get past the second boss.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve been playing the OG Dead Rising game since I’ve had the remaster for a while.

I love how you can put this song on in the car and tell which of your friends played it back in the day because they’ll instantly be anxious and pissed at you:

https://youtu.be/atKUCxXanXA

It’s the Sonic drowning music of the 360/PS3 era.

I don’t need to click the link it just automatically plays in my head WWEEEEEEEEELL HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Rising is still the best demo I've ever played. It's just the first area (which is huge) for one in-game day (two hours). No other limits to it. It's a huge chunk of the game to get for free.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I would actually love a current gen port of Dead Rising: Chop til you Drop because that was such a weird rear end game and I’d like to play it again without getting out the Wii.

I guess I could play it on WiiU...

For those not aware it was Dead Rising for the Wii but made into something weirdly linear. It felt a lot like an official Dead Rising themed mod of Resident Evil 4, and I’m not entirely convinced it wasn’t.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Maybe but within hours in becomes abundantly clear why the game didn't have the word of mouth of its predecessor. Despite appreciating a lot of things about it, it's not a good game imho.

Yah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Akuma posted:

I would actually love a current gen port of Dead Rising: Chop til you Drop because that was such a weird rear end game and I’d like to play it again without getting out the Wii.

I guess I could play it on WiiU...

For those not aware it was Dead Rising for the Wii but made into something weirdly linear. It felt a lot like an official Dead Rising themed mod of Resident Evil 4, and I’m not entirely convinced it wasn’t.

You'd be correct. Capcom in their legendary cheapness used the already existent Resident Evil 4 engine for the Wii to port Dead Rising instead of building the game from scratch.