Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm not sure if Tolkien fits in; what is the Catholic Church's stance on human-elf marriages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Will they perform the liturgy in Quenya or lowly demotic Westron?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Will they perform the liturgy in Quenya or lowly demotic Westron?

You jest, but

quote:

In the 1950s, Tolkien made a series of translations of Catholic prayers into Quenya, including the Lord’s Prayer. The rendition of the latter was evidently of importance to him since he wrote no less than six versions. All were published and commented in Vinyar Tengwar n° 43. We here give the final version (“Átaremma VI”), edited for the punctuation.

Facing it is the corresponding part of the traditional English version from the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, still used by the Catholic Church – with the final doxology not included, but used afterwards as a liturgical element during the Mass. This must have been the version familiar to Tolkien.

This Quenya translation is remarkable in its expression of heaven. In earlier drafts, Tolkien used menel, the usual Quenya word for the sky; but finally, he preferred alternative renderings. In the first line, i ëa han ëa reads literally “who art beyond the Universe” or alternatively “who art beyond being” – this because in Quenya, ëa “to be” is also used as a name for the Universe, in reference to the creation word of the One God Eru Ilúvatar. In the fifth line, Erumande “in Heaven” contains, in the locative case, the name Eruman which could be translated “the blessed dwelling of God”. All of this points towards the willingness of Tolkien to distinguish in Quenya the physical sky and the metaphysical heaven, in accordance with modern Christian theology.

Otherwise the Quenya meaning is quite close to the English one. In particular, the word úcare used in the fifth petition refers to bad deeds, trespasses, according to the tradition arisen from the gospel of Luke - whereas other versions following the text of the gospel of Matthew use wordings like “Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors”.

The text is transcribed in tengwar or “letters of Fëanor” according to the classical mode for Quenya described by Tolkien in the Appendix E to The Lord of the Rings and used for instance by the Namarië manuscript in The Road Goes Ever On p. 65. We made use of Johan Winge’s typeface Tengwar Annatar.

https://www.jrrvf.com/glaemscrafu/english/ataremma.html

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Some cunts really are desperate.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Iiiinteresting! I thought you had to have done a miracle to count as a Saint. I mean, ever since reading the Sil, whenever I've engaged with Catholic theology I've found myself thinking "hmm, makes sense" or "I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere" which I guess is pretty miraculous.
I seem to remember the young Tolkien getting disinherited by his wealthy relatives for sticking with Catholicism. I wonder what they'd think about him attaining sainthood.....

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Tree Bucket posted:

Iiiinteresting! I thought you had to have done a miracle to count as a Saint. I mean, ever since reading the Sil, whenever I've engaged with Catholic theology I've found myself thinking "hmm, makes sense" or "I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere" which I guess is pretty miraculous.
I seem to remember the young Tolkien getting disinherited by his wealthy relatives for sticking with Catholicism. I wonder what they'd think about him attaining sainthood.....

If the RCC tries to make Tolkien a saint without ascertaining whether a miracle has occurred than they are truly lost as a religious organization and are only chasing headlines which is goddamn sad

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Very excited this will be coming to Paris. The BNF does some really great expositions so I'm sure this one will be really thorough.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

When Tolkien’s mother converted (after his father’s death) her family were offended and cut her off. She died not long after which is how he wound up being raised by a priest. I don’t think Tolkien ever got disinherited though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tree Bucket posted:

That's later in the process.

There's a multi step process to being ruled a saint; first your have to be ruled a "servant of god," (requires good catholic morals) then a "venerable servant of god," (requires martyrdom or 'Heroic Virtue") then "blessed," (requires one miracle) then finally a "saint." (requires a miracle after the date of intercession)

Being ruled a "servant of god," the first step, requires 1) being dead, 2) your local Bishop opens a "Cause" in your name, 3) a tribunal is appointed to "examine the Servant of God's writings to make sure that there is nothing in them contrary to the Faith and Moral teaching of the Church. Afterwards they proceed to taking the testimony of witnesses who knew well the candidate."

http://solanuscasey.org/about-us/the-cause-for-sainthood/learn-more-about-the-steps-to-sainthood

So Tolkiens' at step one here, but it's like at this stage they're just doing his initial background check to make sure he can join the military as an officer. If he's admitted as an Ensign, then they'll see if he gets promoted to Lieutenant, etc.

My guess is the real hurdle for Tolkien would be the "heroic virtue" part. Although he did survive the Somme, which is kinda heroic, that might be his best argument. If he can get past that hurdle I'll bet plenty of people will be willing to attest that Tolkien's intervention miraculously changed their lives etc.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

HIJK posted:

If the RCC tries to make Tolkien a saint without ascertaining whether a miracle has occurred than they are truly lost as a religious organization and are only chasing headlines which is goddamn sad

Why do you think they rushed to make Mother Teresa a saint?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So Tolkiens' at step one here, but it's like at this stage they're just doing his initial background check to make sure he can join the military as an officer. If he's admitted as an Ensign, then they'll see if he gets promoted to Lieutenant, etc.

My guess is the real hurdle for Tolkien would be the "heroic virtue" part. Although he did survive the Somme, which is kinda heroic, that might be his best argument. If he can get past that hurdle I'll bet plenty of people will be willing to attest that Tolkien's intervention miraculously changed their lives etc.
The real question is if prayers to the Valar count as asking him for intervention or not

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Marijuana posted:

Why do you think they rushed to make Mother Teresa a saint?

:chanpop:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks for the beatification info, goons, and the corrections on Tolkien's bio.
Also, isn't it rad that the bit in FotR where Gandalf talks about Bilbo's song of Earendil is an author writing a story about a person talking about a person writing a song about a book about a story about a person...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Bucket posted:

Also, isn't it rad that the bit in FotR where Gandalf talks about Bilbo's song of Earendil is an author writing a story about a person talking about a person writing a song about a book about a story about a person...

The crazy thing about that, to me at least, is that all those layers would not be publicly explained for twenty-three years. Not until the Silmarillion was published in 1977 would readers get a reasonably detailed explanation of all the layers at work there. But Tolkien wrote it that way anyway.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The crazy thing about that, to me at least, is that all those layers would not be publicly explained for twenty-three years. Not until the Silmarillion was published in 1977 would readers get a reasonably detailed explanation of all the layers at work there. But Tolkien wrote it that way anyway.

I didn't realise that! On the plus side, I no longer feel quite so stupid for not getting the references earlier.
Incidentally, my copy of the Silmarillion includes (as an introduction) a letter Tolkien wrote to a friend explaining the whole shemozzle, which includes these lines:
"the cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, weilding paint and music and drama. Absurd."
Which is endearingly nerdy, and oddly satisfying; because it means that the maps ten-year-old me drew after reading the Hobbit are in some small way a continuation of what Tolkien intended.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Bucket posted:

I didn't realise that! On the plus side, I no longer feel quite so stupid for not getting the references earlier.
Incidentally, my copy of the Silmarillion includes (as an introduction) a letter Tolkien wrote to a friend explaining the whole shemozzle, which includes these lines:
"the cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, weilding paint and music and drama. Absurd."
Which is endearingly nerdy, and oddly satisfying; because it means that the maps ten-year-old me drew after reading the Hobbit are in some small way a continuation of what Tolkien intended.

You should read his short story "Leaf: By Niggle" if you get a chance, it's sortof a fictionalization of that theme.

There's a Tolkien art book coming out:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-r-r-tolkiens-archives-come-alive-in-this-stunning-bo-1827640174

I genuinely like Tolkien's artwork. It has some of the same characteristics of his prose -- somehow "unprofessional" and unstudied, yet still profoundly evocative and with a strong sense that it is depicting "reality," as if drawn from life.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tolkien’s art seems very conventionalized to me — not in a bad way since his conventions are quite unique and cool. But I don’t get the sense that he’s trying to “draw from life”. He doesn’t give a drat about scale or perspective if they get in the way of what he wants to represent for example. It’s not that he couldn’t render these things (look up some of his actual sketches from real life and you’ll get the sense) but he chose not to do so for his fairy-tale illustrations because...he just didn’t want to I guess. I want to link it to how in medieval art people thought nothing of having knights as tall as the walls of a city, but who knows. “From life” seems more like his latter-day illustrators like Naismith, Lee, Howe to me. He’s more like Roger Garland’s style if I had to compare him to another of his illustrators.

His paintings are really neat though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's like a kid doodling on his book covers :3:

Look at the detail he put on all those gold coins, while totally ignoring the structure of the cave or most of the foreground. That's the kind of thing I would have done while not paying attention in Social Studies class.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Look at the detail he put on all those gold coins, while totally ignoring the structure of the cave or most of the foreground. That's the kind of thing I would have done while not paying attention in Social Studies class.

skasion posted:

“From life” seems more like his latter-day illustrators like Naismith, Lee, Howe to me. He’s more like Roger Garland’s style if I had to compare him to another of his illustrators.

His paintings are really neat though.

Yah, I was trying to get at "as if a kid had seen a real scene and then drawn it" kinda thing, not "life accurate." Nothing is quite to scale but it all fits.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Data Graham posted:

I'd probably pay more attention to the gold coin instead of the cave too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm finally reading these books after years of being a fantasy fan. Well, I got about 20 pages into The Silmarillion in elementary school because it was the only Tolkien book our library had in stock, but other than that I've stuck to more modern authors. Since I know the broad strokes from the movies, and every fantasy story I've ever read has been at least partially Tolkien-inspired, I'm shocked at how fresh and exciting it feels. I've had to stop myself from staying up too late reading just one more chapter.

I wish I could temporarily delete the movies from my brain, though. I'm excited to start TTT today. I've seen Fellowship 3 or 4 times, but I've only seen the other two once, so there should be a lot more to "discover" now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wait until you reread them! I still pick up on new nuances every time I reread the trilogy.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Data Graham posted:

It's great, isn't it! I love his sense of colour. And he draws bats and skulls and axes just like a kid does.

Lester Shy posted:

I'm finally reading these books after years of being a fantasy fan. Well, I got about 20 pages into The Silmarillion in elementary school because it was the only Tolkien book our library had in stock, but other than that I've stuck to more modern authors. Since I know the broad strokes from the movies, and every fantasy story I've ever read has been at least partially Tolkien-inspired, I'm shocked at how fresh and exciting it feels. I've had to stop myself from staying up too late reading just one more chapter.

I wish I could temporarily delete the movies from my brain, though. I'm excited to start TTT today. I've seen Fellowship 3 or 4 times, but I've only seen the other two once, so there should be a lot more to "discover" now.

Yep! Tolkien's stuff really does have a special feel to it that I've not encountered anywhere else. He once mentioned in a letter to a friend that it felt like he was discovering something that was already "there," rather than making stuff up himself. That feeling really comes across to the reader.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

When I was an 8 year old kid reading the Hobbit for the first time, the book had this image on the front cover. Sometimes I wasn’t especially attentive, and I read the first few pages picturing Bilbo in my head as that large red animal from the cover. It wasn’t until he started doing gardening and making tea or whatever that I realised something was amiss.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Those little skulls are drat cute

Some more Tolkien artwork i like:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the last one

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Maybe Isengard??

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

euphronius posted:

What is the last one

“Moonlight on a Wood”. Not LotR-related AFAIK.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wow, that's a lot more abstract than what I've ever seen of his art before, and I like it a lot.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Wow, that's a lot more abstract than what I've ever seen of his art before, and I like it a lot.

He did some nice abstract-y symbolist-y ones I like. I must make time to get up to the Bodleian once the weather's not quite so godawful....

The Shores of Faerie:

And of course he liked drawing all those abstract heraldic devices too.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
I'm not an art critic, but this poo poo loving whips rear end.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just finished TTT. I am a huge arachnophobe, and I never thought anything would top the Shelob scene in the movies, but reading it was somehow even worse (in a good way). The whole thing feels absolutely filthy, and the fact that she "vomits darkness" is metal as gently caress.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lester Shy posted:

Just finished TTT. I am a huge arachnophobe, and I never thought anything would top the Shelob scene in the movies, but reading it was somehow even worse (in a good way). The whole thing feels absolutely filthy, and the fact that she "vomits darkness" is metal as gently caress.

She takes after her mother.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Yes yes yes yes yes especially the way Tolkien describes the way the sword hits her each time jesus gently caress it's so good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Gandalf practically has a panic attack when he learns Frodo and Sam went that way but I dunno what he expected them to do. Trying to sneak through the Black Gate would probably have been as bad or worse.

Sauron never even considers that someone would try to destroy the ring at least in part because the plan is madness. The Black Gate is heavily watched and guarded, and then there's Shelob.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Gandalf practically has a panic attack when he learns Frodo and Sam went that way but I dunno what he expected them to do. Trying to sneak through the Black Gate would probably have been as bad or worse.

Probably have a not-dead wizard, or at least a capable adult to make sure they didn’t run bare assed into primordial monsters/ringwraiths/orcs/any other fun Mordor stuff we never found out about. Gandalf and Aragorn probably always intended to send the bulk of the company to Gondor but there’s no reason to suspect it was in anyone’s plans to give Frodo and Sam a kick on the rear end in the direction of Mordor and just hope it turned out. Aragorn has probably been to Mordor before, or at least close, and who knows where Gandalf has been.

Honestly Frodo should have probably been a bit wary from the moment he heard the name. He has at least a bit of elvish, surely Cirith Ungol sounds suggestive enough.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

Sauron never even considers that someone would try to destroy the ring at least in part because the plan is madness. The Black Gate is heavily watched and guarded, and then there's Shelob.

Gandalf's plan was, clearly, to take the Eagles. That's why he says "fly, you fools" !

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Probably have a not-dead wizard, or at least a capable adult to make sure they didn’t run bare assed into primordial monsters/ringwraiths/orcs/any other fun Mordor stuff we never found out about. Gandalf and Aragorn probably always intended to send the bulk of the company to Gondor but there’s no reason to suspect it was in anyone’s plans to give Frodo and Sam a kick on the rear end in the direction of Mordor and just hope it turned out. Aragorn has probably been to Mordor before, or at least close, and who knows where Gandalf has been.

Honestly Frodo should have probably been a bit wary from the moment he heard the name. He has at least a bit of elvish, surely Cirith Ungol sounds suggestive enough.

But again, where else could they go? The Black Gate would have been impossible without using the Ring and if they did Sauron would have immediately detected them. Trying to sneak by Shelob is not the best idea either but probably a little less tough than walking right past Sauron's office.

If I'm remembering the passage right though Gandalf says something like: "Cirith Ungol? Why that way?" And it's like dude what other way ya want em to go.

Gandalf's plan was, clearly, to take the Eagles. That's why he says "fly, you fools" !

This is true

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Here’s the passage:

quote:

As his story was unfolded of his meeting with Frodo and his servant and of the events at Henneth Annûn, Pippin became aware that Gandalf’s hands were trembling as they clutched the carven wood. White they seemed now and very old, and as he looked at them, suddenly with a thrill of fear Pippin knew that Gandalf, Gandalf himself, was troubled, even afraid. The air of the room was close and still. At last when Faramir spoke of his parting with the travellers, and of their resolve to go to Cirith Ungol, his voice fell, and he shook his head and sighed. Then Gandalf sprang up.

‘Cirith Ungol? Morgul Vale?’ he said. ‘The time, Faramir, the time? When did you part with them? When would they reach that accursed valley?’

‘I parted with them in the morning two days ago,’ said Faramir. ‘It is fifteen leagues thence to the vale of the Morgulduin, if they went straight south; and then “they would be still five leagues westward of the accursed Tower. At swiftest they could not come there before today, and maybe they have not come there yet. Indeed I see what you fear. But the darkness is not due to their venture. It began yestereve, and all Ithilien was under shadow last night. It is clear to me that the Enemy has long planned an assault on us, and its hour had already been determined before ever the travellers left my keeping.’

Gandalf is not saying “oh man what a bunch of rubes going to cirith ungol, why didn’t they walk up to Saurons front door and knock instead”. He’s worried about the timing, that the dawnless day has come because F&S have already failed, Sauron has regained the One and everything is just gonna be dark from now on.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

But again, where else could they go? The Black Gate would have been impossible without using the Ring and if they did Sauron would have immediately detected them. Trying to sneak by Shelob is not the best idea either but probably a little less tough than walking right past Sauron's office.

If I'm remembering the passage right though Gandalf says something like: "Cirith Ungol? Why that way?" And it's like dude what other way ya want em to go.

Well, his plan presumably didn't involve the Fellowship fracturing so they'd still have everyone there. He could have enlisted Gondor's aid more directly, or Galadriel's. Aragorn showing up in Minas Tirith with Boromir's backing is a very different state of affairs. Also, we're told that Cirith Ungol is the only route over the mountains by, iirc, Gollum, who has a reason to lie. Gandalf successfully sneaked into Dol Guldur while Sauron was there and Aragorn has been hunting along that area of the world for awhile, so between them they might have had a different route.

I think I remember Gandalf basically saying "whyyy" and then coming to the same conclusion that he really didn't have a better suggestion for them to have gone with their information.

e: And its clear I misremembered too, so thanks for the passage.