Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DrSunshine posted:

I was really dismayed when I tried my World Cracker out on a barren planet and didn't find that the resulting planetary shards could be turned into a rich source of lategame minerals. :smith:

while the way they work now doesn't make sense, i feel like if planet crackers could turn any planet into a rich mineral deposit then it'd make building them mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Are there any half decent ways to scout out the galaxy now? Ordering research ships to explore one jump at a time seems pointlessly tedious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Automatic exploration and have 3 or 4 science ships staffed doing it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Are there any half decent ways to scout out the galaxy now? Ordering research ships to explore one jump at a time seems pointlessly tedious.

Queuing up systems to explore by holding down shift?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Aethernet posted:

also if you do this you can order a science ship to do something immediately while retaining the rest of the queue by holding shift+ctrl while making the order

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

President Ark posted:

also if you do this you can order a science ship to do something immediately while retaining the rest of the queue by holding shift+ctrl while making the order

Holy poo poo this changes everything

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CainsDescendant posted:

Holy poo poo this changes everything

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Whoa

- morpheus from Hackers, 1994

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hey, it's me again, whining about how I only get the contingency as the end game crisis. 12 games in since apocalypse and only those AI fuckers show up. I stay far away from the materialist ethic, don't even research robots or sapient AI and even tried hard quitting and reloading two dozen times to get a different crisis to spawn, but no luck. Outside of modding the game (which I don't want to) or starting a new game with only spiritual AI empires and no fallen ones (because every time a robotic fallen one seem to spawn, making the contingency almost guaranteed, at least for me) I am out of ideas. So, this is me giving up the ghost (signal) and going on a Stellaris hiatus. :smith:

I really like the idea of the actions that take place before the crisis showing up influencing which one comes in at the end, but (at least for me) it only seems to lead to only one result. Clearly we need an end game crisis selection slider! Or an option to set it to a flat 33/33/33 chance. Wiz, plz! :tipshat:

Edit: On a positive note, after two years without the horizon signal showing up, the black hole trick has worked and now it seems to show up every single game. Which is cool. :v:

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

Hey, it's me again, whining about how I only get the contingency

Got a lucky roll and finally saw the not!Tyranids. In a game that included a materialist FE, several materialist civs and a couple of robot ones to boot. Also I went psionic and researched the jump drive as soon as I could, because I was actually counting on getting the Unbidden..

Too bad that by the time they showed up (and they spawned entirely in my territory) I had enough fleets to wipe them bugs out by myself.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aethernet posted:

Is this part of the beta patch?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Is this part of the beta patch?

No, this was in the game since 1.0

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Surely that should be pegged to your end/midgame sliders?

Would probably help. Or the AI needs to run a check before opening a L-Gate, to see if it is strong enough to even have a chance. If the AI is weak enough to spell doom for the entire galaxy by opening the gate, it should probably not open it!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Applewhite posted:

That’s probably it. It usually takes me until at least 2400 to break +30 minerals.
But if I build too many mines, won’t my research and energy production suffer?
More minerals now means more labs later!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Libluini posted:

No, this was in the game since 1.0

This isn't part of the game currently.

It's possible that a mod I'm using may have broken something, but I have no idea what it might be since most of the ones I'm using are just graphical.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

This isn't part of the game currently.

It's possible that a mod I'm using may have broken something, but I have no idea what it might be since most of the ones I'm using are just graphical.

Queuing orders by holding shift has been in the game for ages, so I'd say it's definitely a mod, or Wiz just hates you personally and took this feature out of your version only :shrug:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It definitely is in the base game and always has been. Shift + selecting an order to do queues it up, whether it's exploration, surveying, researching projects or whatever.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I can que up orders for almost everything, but if I try to do it for exploring systems for the first time the game usually throws a "no route to selected system" at me, even if I have the hyperlanes to that star mapped.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Encountering the Contingency for the first time. I saw that they have half shields/armor on their ships and weapons weak against shield. Any recommendations? Considering the strength of their fleet I'm thinking of slowly changing my fleets toward a 100% corvettes composition for the spam + rapid galactic movement. I took a huge hit in minerals + energy since most of my pops where synths :/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I can que up orders for almost everything, but if I try to do it for exploring systems for the first time the game usually throws a "no route to selected system" at me, even if I have the hyperlanes to that star mapped.

OK, so I thought maybe you were confusing exploring and surveying and since I never actually just explore a system, I thought "maybe you really can't queue up exploring", so I just tested this. But it turns out both surveying and exploring can definitely be queued, as long as you have a hyperlane going there, so I have no idea what is going on with your game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

President Ark posted:

I had no idea about ctrl+shift at all.

But shift for orders is in every paradox game!

Also only having +30 minerals by 2300 must make for a slow as hell game. I mean I'm usually on only +300 so nothing compared to other people and it still feels a bit slow.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I had no idea about ctrl+shift at all.

But shift for orders is in every paradox game!

Also only having +30 minerals by 2300 must make for a slow as hell game. I mean I'm usually on only +300 so nothing compared to other people and it still feels a bit slow.

Yeah, +30 after 100 years is a tad on the low side, considering you already start with something like +15. Normally you get +30 by just plonking down some mines and outposts.

I can only imagine he is trying to support a gigantic fleet or something, because even with the worst start I can think of, I got over +100 minerals after about 70 years max. And that's the worst start I had, mind you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

Are you trying to explore with non-science ships? Because that is gone now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

Oh right, forgot that this might be the problem. Corvette exploration has been gone since 2.0. Well, until you research scanners anyway, as soon as you get tech for increased scan range (and equip ships with them) then you can explore with non-science ships.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

Nope, I'm only trying with science ships. It seems like I can tell them to explore any system in sensor range, but they don't want to travel to any out of it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Nope, I'm only trying with science ships. It seems like I can tell them to explore any system in sensor range, but they don't want to travel to any out of it.

Now that is weird. I suggest looking through your mods to see if you accidentally switched on a mod changing your UI.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I've had the same issue - if you queue up move orders (not survey orders) with science ships in the early game they'll keep cancelling a little bit into the trip (sometimes before the first jump even). Survey orders work properly though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that I've probably done one of the :spergin: things possible.

I took a screenshot of a galaxy in Space Engine and converted it into a Stellaris galaxy texture.

I then exported 50 cubemaps from that Space Engine galaxy at set distances and set each star in Stellaris to use a set of 10 of those cubemaps based on its percentage distance from the galactic core.

Here's 25%:

50%

90%:

Because the cubemaps were taken from the texture's original galaxy the color of the cosmic dust visible in the cubemap roughly corresponds to the color of the area where that star is located, with stars closer to the core having more yellow/pinkish clouds and those further away becoming more blue.

I hope that in the future we'll have more flags to determine star cubemaps so that things like nebula specific cubemaps are possible. I'm sure most people wouldn't care about stuff like this, but I feel as though an emphasis distance and environment based backgrounds help add a sense of location to the game.

Libluini posted:

Now that is weird. I suggest looking through your mods to see if you accidentally switched on a mod changing your UI.

Turns out I forgot to turn a mod off after doing some testing earlier. :downs:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 15, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That's pretty cool. You gonna upload that to Steam?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

StarMinstrel posted:

Encountering the Contingency for the first time. I saw that they have half shields/armor on their ships and weapons weak against shield. Any recommendations? Considering the strength of their fleet I'm thinking of slowly changing my fleets toward a 100% corvettes composition for the spam + rapid galactic movement. I took a huge hit in minerals + energy since most of my pops where synths :/

Disruptors absolutely do a number on their fleets, as well as Arc Emitters - anything that bypasses shields and armour is good, because they have very little HP. They also have few small mount weapons, so lots of disruptor corvettes plus emitter battleships is good.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Aethernet posted:

Disruptors absolutely do a number on their fleets, as well as Arc Emitters - anything that bypasses shields and armour is good, because they have very little HP. They also have few small mount weapons, so lots of disruptor corvettes plus emitter battleships is good.

Super thanks

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It seems like Admiral difficulty is a huge step up from Commodore? I've gone from being either equivalent or stronger than anyone to constantly getting stomped. Twice now I've started a game only for one of my neighbors to be constantly in a position to kick me in the nuts constantly. I've been trying to keep a big enough fleet. but my lack of energy is always screwing me.

Actually that's one of my problems in all of my games is once I start claiming systems I get rather sizable problems with energy income. Even if I build all the power plants I can, refrain from building research and mining outposts to save on costs, I'm struggling to maintain a solid income constantly and even if I do have the fleet capacity to have a stronger military, I simply can't afford to. Which the AI is ruthlessly exploiting to kick me in the dick again and again over.

It also seems that AI get a lot smarter about their ship designs too.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you really push hard into Discovery and anomaly chance, you can burn through the L gates much faster than people who do not. Such a massive amount of the insights come from anomalies that, especially if you know which ones to avoid researching (nanotech related ones) until you've discovered a gate, you can really blitz through them.

Yep. I avoid researching any of the insight anomalies until I've found an lgate. I have a game that is 20 years in and I'm at 4/7, soon to be at 6/7. There is only one gate near me, so I'm slowly snaking out to it so I can unleash hell on the rest of the galaxy. It'll probably take a couple of years to research the activation tech, but that just gives me more time to prep for pain.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My view on L gates is that you only want to make your move on it when you can start building gates. Partly because by the time you have the tech and resources to do that you should be able to at least contain whatever is in there, but more importantly you can then connect it up to your own gate network and have an easy way of launching attacks into enemy space as from what I can tell L gates are not effected the way gates and wormholes can be locked down due to being at war.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vengarr posted:

That's pretty cool. You gonna upload that to Steam?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1442064444

It might be broken so enjoy.

e: The Steam page is some kind of hosed, but the mod seems fine once downloaded so I guess that works.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 15, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
What does it mean when my fleets have a yellow icon for orbiting? It seems to be new in this beta patch and I can't find it in the patch notes because I am blind.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Taear posted:

What does it mean when my fleets have a yellow icon for orbiting? It seems to be new in this beta patch and I can't find it in the patch notes because I am blind.

That they're orbiting at full maintenance build crew quarters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I promoted one of my factions (65% base happiness, resulting in pops with ~90% happiness, it was great). I check back a few months later and all the factions are gone. :(

EDIT: all annoyance suddenly evaporated because the Vechtar Zavonia event generated the system literally adjacent to my Life-Seeded homeworld at the end of a spiral arm. Perfect placement.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 16, 2018

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Strobe posted:

I promoted one of my factions (65% base happiness, resulting in pops with ~90% happiness, it was great). I check back a few months later and all the factions are gone. :(

EDIT: all annoyance suddenly evaporated because the Vechtar Zavonia event generated the system literally adjacent to my Life-Seeded homeworld at the end of a spiral arm. Perfect placement.

I've been having issues lately where factions will appear and stick around for a year or two, then vanish without warning. I figured it was because of ethics shifts lowering the number of pops with the right ethic below the minimum required for a faction, but that doesn't seem to add up with what the wiki says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Applewhite posted:

Yeah but labs tho?

Don't worry about it. The tech tree is really shallow, large parts of it can be skipped without major issues, and the marginal gain is still kinda low. Minerals should always be the main focus.

turn off the TV posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1442064444

It might be broken so enjoy.

e: The Steam page is some kind of hosed, but the mod seems fine once downloaded so I guess that works.