Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Randaconda posted:

The sad thing is Jack would most likely be easily caught nowadays/

One of the best books I've read on the case is The Complete Casebook of Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow. You definitely get the sense of if even basic standards for evidence documentation were consistent and present, they might've had a better idea of suspects or might've caught the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Solice Kirsk posted:

9 years in prison seems kinda harsh for a sex prisoner killing their decades long rapist.

edit:
Probably more for stealing funds from the government.

Yeah, it was over 10 years ago, if she hadn't hidden the murder and taken his benefit money for so long she'd probably have had no jail time at all, entirely fairly. It's the money thing that's the problem here I bet. She'll do about four years and be out again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Edit: and on the subject of the Strid, this is the best video I've seen that actually shows the underwater topography. It's just a little "say hi to grandma!" sort of family video, but it shows a dry section of the Strid that's all undercut with giant holes. Skip to 0:20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoUXlAx2V3A

I can't be the only one screaming GET THOSE loving KIDS OUT OF THAT HOLE.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

M_Sinistrari posted:

One of the best books I've read on the case is The Complete Casebook of Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow. You definitely get the sense of if even basic standards for evidence documentation were consistent and present, they might've had a better idea of suspects or might've caught the killer.

There are a shitload of things we take for granted nowadays.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still think sometime in the future some sort of new investigative technique or technology will solve the Ripper case. And it'll be some no name individual and everyone will be disappointed.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I would love it if the Jack the Ripper crimes were solved definitively just so people would loving shut up about it. I have read more boring :words: on that topic than I dreamed were possible. Obviously, it was tragic for the victims and their families, but it's such an endlessly tedious series of police fuckups and not really caring about poor sex workers and newspapers trying to get the hot story.

Which is I guess slightly interesting in that it's been replicated over and over in serial murder cases since, but the "Maybe it was Random Famous or Infamous Person!" nonsense has just made the whole thing unbearable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think if we put our heads together we could write a 110 page book speculating that Jack the Ripper was the reincarnation of Manuel Blanco Romasanta?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was a cat the whole time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It was sir Arthur Conan Doyle deffo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also he was *rubs chin* gay

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The cat?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

No, poo poo Sherlock.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who's poo poo Sherlock? Benedict Cumberbatch? I could see him being gay and Jack the Ripper.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Oh is this a gritty reboot of Homo, The Cat That Loves To gently caress?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

but it's such an endlessly tedious series of police fuckups and not really caring about poor sex workers and newspapers trying to get the hot story.

So gently caress all has really changed between
Victorian England and now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Varkk posted:

So gently caress all has really changed between
Victorian England and now.

Read history, it's alarming how exactly this is true.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Sid Vicious posted:

Or maybe they meant it's sad that he was so prolific when we have the technology today that it could have been avoided. I know there wasn't any pictures of bloody corpses to keep your interest in that post but critical thinking and reading comprehension are important skills.

not sure what your issue is but this seems like something best suited for PM, not the creepy thread. it was a one line post, very easy to make it clearer.

for example, this is creepy without any pictures:

The hoop snake is a legendary creature of the United States, Canada, and Australia. The distinguishing feature of a hoop snake is that it can grasp its tail in its jaws and roll after its prey like a wheel.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! Is it time for us to start posting our favorite Fearsome Critters?!!?

Can't beat the hodag!

From back when they knew how to make cryptids posted:

Shepard claimed to have captured another hodag in 1896, and this one was captured alive. According to Shepard's reports, he and several bear wrestlers placed chloroform on the end of a long pole, which they worked into the cave of the creature where it was overcome.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Jul 15, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can't beat the hodag!

lmfao misread this as "hobag"

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

avshalemon posted:

let me describe to you my wrists
my teeth
my memories

my nightmares and my longing

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Teen who encouraged boyfriend's suicide seeks retrial, says texts were "cherry picked"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Caganer posted:

lmfao misread this as "hobag"

We already knew about your mom’s cave.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Bobby Digital posted:

We already knew about your mom’s cave.

:iceburn:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Your honor, I believe that the prosecution was biased against me. Their evidence was clearly put together to make me look guilty.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Your honor, don't you find it strange that the prosecution omitted every text that said "lol jk"?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caganer posted:

You think it's "sad" a serial killer would be stopped early in their series :confused:

no, i meant it's sad because he would have been caught easily nowadays, wtf

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Regarding Jack the Ripper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO3bbCZxWiA&t=84s

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Randaconda posted:

no, i meant it's sad because he would have been caught easily nowadays, wtf

Oh ok - sorry for the negative implication. I got confused since I’m not sure that’s true - w/o dna to compare to would they have been able to quickly close it? Did they have specific suspects early on?

fruit on the bottom posted:

Your honor, don't you find it strange that the prosecution omitted every text that said "lol jk"?

You kid, but it’s probably some lovely defense that 95 or some other ridiculously high percent of the texts were not directly related to killing so, like, it’s not like I was like, always telling him to kill himself

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caganer posted:

Oh ok - sorry for the negative implication. I got confused since I’m not sure that’s true - w/o dna to compare to would they have been able to quickly close it? Did they have specific suspects early on?

You kid, but it’s probably some lovely defense that 95 or some other ridiculously high percent of the texts were not directly related to killing so, like, it’s not like I was like, always telling him to kill himself

I dunno, but as disorganized as the crime scenes were, I'm sure he left evidence everywhere.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Randaconda posted:

I dunno, but as disorganized as the crime scenes were, I'm sure he left evidence everywhere.

This is still my favorite Jack the Ripper theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2yVZCVLK3E

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Randaconda posted:

yeah but again, a lot of it is stuff you need a suspect to match to... fingerprints for example.

i think it would be cctv that did him in.

cctv gets a shot, someone recognizes, dna warrant, BAM.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Caganer posted:

yeah but again, a lot of it is stuff you need a suspect to match to... fingerprints for example.

i think it would be cctv that did him in.

cctv gets a shot, someone recognizes, dna warrant, BAM.

can't fingerprint a ghost

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Late for the D.B. Cooper chat but regarding that code deciphering method, I remember reading somewhere that the method was used on Vanilla Ice lyrics and they found that “Ice Ice Baby” either predicted or caused 9/11. That’s the funniest thing I remember about those codes.

From all accounts, he was polite and didn’t hurt anyone. I hope he never gets caught.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vanilla Ice has been a known associate of tragedies before.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/RealSardonicus/status/1017861568867028993?s=19

The art is cool but also imagine finding these randomly

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
in 1997, a poacher wounded a tiger and stole part of its kill. The tiger found the poacher's cabin, destroyed his belongings, waited at least half a day for him to return, then killed and ate him.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can't beat the hodag!
If this qualifies as a cryptid then so does El Pardack

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Finally a story with a happy ending.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

This belongs in the schadenfreude thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

fruit on the bottom posted:

This belongs in the schadenfreude thread.

you belong in the JERK STORE :mad:

jk love ya