Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do I recover from wrist pain due to computer work?

I don't think it's full blown carpal tunnel.

What steps can I do to prevent this in the future?

get a real job lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, thanks for all your responses to my question about memes and reaction images and stuff. I know I must seem either ridiculously behind the times or intentionally obtuse, so I usually don't bother asking these questions and instead wallow in my confusion.

When I think about the way people post images on social media as a sort of analogue to body language, it actually makes a lot more sense now. One of the biggest hurdles to an autistic person (or "person with autism" or "neuro-atypical" or "neuro-divergent," honestly I just learned the whole Aspergers community is all up in arms over what should be the appropriate term; incidentally, for those who may not know, the term "Asperger's" is being weeded out because Asperger was actually not the hero we thought he was and also it implies that it's different than autism which isn't really true since autism is all a big spectrum) is interpreting body language. I've read several books that specifically deal with body language, and if there's anything I've learned from these it's that there is no common "body language" because it changes from culture to culture and also even then it's always subjective. Almost all of them also seem to indicate that if a woman does anything then it's probably a sign she wants to jump you.

Anyway, long story short is body language is almost meaningless to me because it relies on too many factors that I can't parse simultaneously. Like:

Body language: Man looks at me, touches his wrist, looks at his watch, glances back at me.
1) This seems like it could be flirtatious.
1a) I'm a male, he's a male; is he gay?
1a.1) How can I tell if a man is gay?
1a.1a) Queer indicators...

(and that goes on for some time, but ultimately, let's resolve that he's probably not gay)

1b) I'm a male, he's a male, but he's probably not gay. He COULD still be being flirtatious, though, because this might be some kind of ruse...

So, like, all this stuff are things that I think a neurotypical person can just absorb and deal with all at once. The brain can do things really, really quickly, so even if I list a bunch of stuff, this all pretty much takes place in a fraction of a moment. The problem though is that where I think normal people don't even think about this, they just sort of absorb it unconsciously, I need to run through a list of checkboxes. At the end of it, I might have something like this:

The man is gay and flirting with me: 20% chance
The man is not gay, but is trying to steal my money by flirting with me, even though I'm not myself gay, so this will ultimately end in some very awkward fist fight: 1%
The man wants to know what time it is; his watch is broken so he is indicating that he wants me to come and tell him the time: 5%
The man isn't even looking at me: 14%
The man is simply checking his watch: 60%

So that's body language. Now, someone posts a gif, say that one of the wrestling guy falling down. So, I recognize that he's the wrestling guy, but I don't know his name, and I don't know anything about wrestling, really. SO if someone posts that, I have to go through a similar checklist:

This is an image meant to mock me for my ignorance regarding wrestling: 2%
This is an image meant to convey that, like the person in the gif, he was metaphorically blown over: 40%
This is an image meant to convey that, like the person in the gif, I should be metaphorically blown over: 20%
This is an image that is actually a reference to this particular moment that is widely regarded as significant but I'm simply ignorant of its significance: 38%
This image was posted by accident: 2%

Or something like that.

Anyway, that's all a lot of stuff that is kind of irrelevant. I just wanted to say, thanks for helping me understand that this is basically online body language and that's probably why it baffles me! :V

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Please don't help this person with their caveman homework! You know better, Unk! It's 15 minutes in the tar pit for you!

It's for tabletop gaming, I'm not getting a grade for this and don't need scientifically rigorous detail. (Although I wouldn't turn it down.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

Anyway, that's all a lot of stuff that is kind of irrelevant. I just wanted to say, thanks for helping me understand that this is basically online body language and that's probably why it baffles me! :V

A lot of the time they literally are body language. Often it doesn't really matter who's in the picture, it's just being used as a way to convey an emotional reaction. Say in the middle of a discussion, someone responds with this:

It matters not at all that it's Michael Jackson. All that matters is that he's in a movie theater with popcorn. The implication is that the person posting the image is expecting a "show" and is settling back to watch and enjoy. (You'll often see something like this when someone has posted something inflammatory, and an argument is likely to flare up.)

Here's a similar one with a different tone:

Again, it doesn't really matter that it's Jon Stewart. Here the movie theater is only implied (by the popcorn), but the image still suggests sitting in the audience and watching what's about to happen. However, his expression and pose indicate terror or dread (perhaps jokingly), instead of Michael's sense of amused happiness.

If you have trouble parsing pose and expression, then it makes perfect sense that you'd have the same trouble figuring out this kind of reaction image.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do I recover from wrist pain due to computer work?

I don't think it's full blown carpal tunnel.

What steps can I do to prevent this in the future?

Ok so, first thing to note is that used correctly, over a long enough time, computer peripherals will give you carpal tunnel. All of them. It's super important to be aware and do what you can to mitigate it. Take regular rests, and do exercises. Google carpal tunnel exercises. You can't 'un-gently caress' your wrist once it's hosed, so really really don't get it hosed up in the first place, would be my shout.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Powered Descent posted:

A lot of the time they literally are body language.

Do more of them!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

How much should I be paying per pound for bulk vending machine candy, shipping included?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

A lot of the time they literally are body language. Often it doesn't really matter who's in the picture, it's just being used as a way to convey an emotional reaction. Say in the middle of a discussion, someone responds with this:

It matters not at all that it's Michael Jackson. All that matters is that he's in a movie theater with popcorn. The implication is that the person posting the image is expecting a "show" and is settling back to watch and enjoy. (You'll often see something like this when someone has posted something inflammatory, and an argument is likely to flare up.)

Here's a similar one with a different tone:

Again, it doesn't really matter that it's Jon Stewart. Here the movie theater is only implied (by the popcorn), but the image still suggests sitting in the audience and watching what's about to happen. However, his expression and pose indicate terror or dread (perhaps jokingly), instead of Michael's sense of amused happiness.

If you have trouble parsing pose and expression, then it makes perfect sense that you'd have the same trouble figuring out this kind of reaction image.

The things you say here are true and make sense in this context, but what I would struggle with, to use the example of the Michael Jackson picture, is that you say it doesn't matter that it's Michael Jackson, but sometimes it does. Him, in particular, has a lot of notoriety about him pertaining to children, psychoses, racial dysmorphia or whatever. So, yeah, my first inclination is that this is probably because it's about anticipating a fight or something, but I can't help but think that there may be another reason, because it IS Michael Jackson, and then I have to go over a dozen other factors like, how well do I know this person and does this person have any particular leanings toward or against this celebrity that might determine why they would use THIS gif as opposed to another...and of course that branches off to many other things, and ultimately I need to decide based on a lot of percentages which is the most likely correct one to assume. And because I may be wrong, the whole thing stresses me out so goddamn much.

The thing is, I understand much of what you're saying on an intellectual level. Like, pragmatically, the things you say add up. I can understand things well enough that I'm not stumbling around, but it sure is stressful.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I think that's just called being a pedantic idiot 20 year old. You don't HAVE to do that, it sounds like you have ADHD or anxiety not autism.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is it that most of my wife's clothes can't go in the dryer, but pretty much all of mine can? Our typical wardrobes are of equivalent formality.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

credburn posted:

The things you say here are true and make sense in this context, but what I would struggle with, to use the example of the Michael Jackson picture, is that you say it doesn't matter that it's Michael Jackson, but sometimes it does. Him, in particular, has a lot of notoriety about him pertaining to children, psychoses, racial dysmorphia or whatever. So, yeah, my first inclination is that this is probably because it's about anticipating a fight or something, but I can't help but think that there may be another reason, because it IS Michael Jackson, and then I have to go over a dozen other factors like, how well do I know this person and does this person have any particular leanings toward or against this celebrity that might determine why they would use THIS gif as opposed to another...and of course that branches off to many other things, and ultimately I need to decide based on a lot of percentages which is the most likely correct one to assume. And because I may be wrong, the whole thing stresses me out so goddamn much.

The thing is, I understand much of what you're saying on an intellectual level. Like, pragmatically, the things you say add up. I can understand things well enough that I'm not stumbling around, but it sure is stressful.

I can't think of a single reaction gif where it's important who the person actually is as opposed to what they're doing/their expression. You don't have to worry about that stuff. No one is out to get you by posting a picture of a person you don't know, they're just trying to communicate an approximation of their reaction to a thing, perhaps a comically exaggerated one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Why is it that most of my wife's clothes can't go in the dryer, but pretty much all of mine can? Our typical wardrobes are of equivalent formality.

I always thought it was because women’s fashions tend to include more sensitive synthetic or natural materials like polyester or wool than men’s, which favour cotton and stuff. There’s also a sharp division in men’s fashion where most formal stuff is just dry cleaning or bust, but women’s stuff is a very smooth transition across ranges of formality so it’s more likely that she’ll have a wider range of outfits than you and her stuff probably accounts for that.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

revolther posted:

I think that's just called being a pedantic idiot 20 year old. You don't HAVE to do that, it sounds like you have ADHD or anxiety not autism.

Umm, as someone with a pretty serious case of ADHD, and who struggles with an on again/off again case of moderate anxiety (both of which definitely gently caress with my basic functionality), I can categorically say that neither of them impede my ability to interpret reaction gifs (OR body language).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If anyone posting that popcorn image is actually thinking about Michael Jackson, they're probably not thinking about his late life controversies and scandals, they're thinking about Thriller.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Umm, as someone with a pretty serious case of ADHD, and who struggles with an on again/off again case of moderate anxiety (both of which definitely gently caress with my basic functionality), I can categorically say that neither of them impede my ability to interpret reaction gifs (OR body language).
He's not REALLY having problems understanding body language, he's having problems with fighting his brains logical conclusions. He's over analyzing and getting caught up in automatic negative thinking, thinking that he's missing something obvious when he's accurately read the situation. This is a staple of social anxiety disorders.

Like he read the memes all correctly.

As someone living with Borderline Personality Disorder for 35 years I have a lot of the same over analytical problems, i was just never misdiagnosed as autistic and told i was misunderstanding everything around me thus undermining my self confidence in that aspect. These are thinking patterns common to most depression and anxiety disorders that things like DBT counseling will help you identify and correct.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hooah posted:

A man would look at a label and read "hand-wash, hang dry, iron on low while still damp, fold, don't hang, keep out of sunlight" and put the garment back and not buy it.

A woman would read that label and buy it anyway because she liked the pattern.

So on the men's garment, they write "machine wash, tumble dry low" so the guy will buy it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

photomikey posted:

A man would look at a label and read "hand-wash, hang dry, iron on low while still damp, fold, don't hang, keep out of sunlight" and put the garment back and not buy it.

A woman would read that label and buy it anyway because she liked the pattern.

So on the men's garment, they write "machine wash, tumble dry low" so the guy will buy it.

I'd go one step further: a man would buy the garment with all the complicated washing instructions, run it through a standard wash and dry it over a radiator. If the thing fell apart after two washes, he'd blame the brand of clothes and not buy them again.

So the successful manufacturer makes them all capable of being boil washed in dish soap and dried by hanging off the towel rail.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How many calories are in a pound (or gram, if that's more convenient) of elephant meat, and what effect would salting and drying have on this figure?

On the off chance you can answer this question re: wooly mammoths rather than regular elephants that would be even more helpful but I don't imagine anyone actually knows that.

If you can't answer it re: elephants, what common meat is closest to elephant? Beef? Bison? Venison?

A pound of elephant can feed 1 human or 2 gnomes for 3 days, 7 days if rationed

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a chart, if you're interested.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How many calories are in a pound (or gram, if that's more convenient) of elephant meat, and what effect would salting and drying have on this figure?
To add to the above, if it's for a game the mechanics of how this affects the game is much more important than the actual accuracy of the number (Does the game you're playing even take place on Earth? Do the elephants in the game have a similar size to whatever Earth elephants you're asking about? Are characters frequently expected to make decisions about exactly what sort of dried meat they're carrying, or are they limited by local availability? Do characters need to main a sustained varied diet to avoid vitamin deficiencies?).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

credburn posted:

Body language: Man looks at me, touches his wrist, looks at his watch, glances back at me.

They are goofing on you for posting huge walls of text on FB. The joke is that he is looking at his watch because he can't believe how long it's going to take him to read your post.

I don't mean this in an insulting way, but look at your own posts in this thread compared to others and the amount of words it takes for you to get the point across, and that might give you some insight.

At the same time, don't sweat it. If you have autism that poo poo might be harder to understand for some people, but don't beat yourself up over it. Life is a learning experience. If you run into people who can't deal with it just ignore them.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 15, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

twodot posted:

To add to the above, if it's for a game the mechanics of how this affects the game is much more important than the actual accuracy of the number (Does the game you're playing even take place on Earth? Do the elephants in the game have a similar size to whatever Earth elephants you're asking about? Are characters frequently expected to make decisions about exactly what sort of dried meat they're carrying, or are they limited by local availability? Do characters need to main a sustained varied diet to avoid vitamin deficiencies?).

I was already overthinking this (because I thought it would be fun to consider) and you're taking it much, much further, which is why I just asked the question outright instead of getting into the why. :shobon:

Elephants are the same as we know them, mammoths are (as in real life) about the same size as an African elephant, the players will not be making decisions about this beyond "holy poo poo a mammoth could feed the village for X weeks, this is too good a chance to pass up" so that I can then get them into further trouble when it leads them on a merry chase.

I'm just trying to figure out how many people it would feed for how many days, and I'm not worried about modeling that beyond raw calories.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
An elephant contains about 1000lbs of meat. Each pound contains like 800-1000 calories. So if an adult male needs about 2lb of meat/day if it’s a staple of his diet...

Historically, hunters would smoke like 200lbs of meat for personal use. That would sustain their family for several weeks on its own, probably.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Historically, hunters would smoke like 200lbs of meat for personal use. That would sustain their family for several weeks on its own, probably.

You can only carry 100lbs of buffalo back to the wagon though?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

You can only carry 100lbs of buffalo back to the wagon though?

You have 13 children, each can carry 35lbs of elephant meat with a 15% chance of injury or death.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was already overthinking this (because I thought it would be fun to consider) and you're taking it much, much further, which is why I just asked the question outright instead of getting into the why. :shobon:

Elephants are the same as we know them, mammoths are (as in real life) about the same size as an African elephant, the players will not be making decisions about this beyond "holy poo poo a mammoth could feed the village for X weeks, this is too good a chance to pass up" so that I can then get them into further trouble when it leads them on a merry chase.

I'm just trying to figure out how many people it would feed for how many days, and I'm not worried about modeling that beyond raw calories.
My whole point was that accuracy in this context is nonsense. If you want your players to think "holy poo poo a mammoth could feed the village for X weeks, this is too good a chance to pass up", then choose whatever numbers makes them think that. Or don't even choose a number, tell your players "You think this mammoth could feed the village for X weeks", the characters presumably don't even know what a calorie is. If that number is 100x or 1% of the real number it's totally irrelevant to your goals.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

They are goofing on you for posting huge walls of text on FB. The joke is that he is looking at his watch because he can't believe how long it's going to take him to read your post.

I don't mean this in an insulting way, but look at your own posts in this thread compared to others and the amount of words it takes for you to get the point across, and that might give you some insight.

At the same time, don't sweat it. If you have autism that poo poo might be harder to understand for some people, but don't beat yourself up over it. Life is a learning experience. If you run into people who can't deal with it just ignore them.

Well, I'm not that concerned about stuff here. I'm just posting stuff. I mean, I would imagine the stuff I've written here might be insightful for some, and if not I don't think it matters a great deal. I'm grateful for those who responded to my questions. I do have ADHD as well, but people on the autism spectrum are like 80% likely to have that going on as well so that's not really a surprise.

One last thing regarding the gifs: yeah, I would say that a picture of Michael Jackson from Thriller is most likely a Thriller reference of some kind, a movie reference of some kind, or a supernatural reference of some kind before it is a child molestation reference. However, that there is exists any realistic chance that it might be the latter, it will always be a constant thorn of anxiety and leads to indecision. But I feel a little more confident now, maybe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

twodot posted:

My whole point was that accuracy in this context is nonsense.

I know, and don't care. That's why I asked the stupid questions thread about the caloric density of elephant meat.

Think of it as just my being curious if that helps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

credburn posted:

Well, I'm not that concerned about stuff here. I'm just posting stuff. I mean, I would imagine the stuff I've written here might be insightful for some, and if not I don't think it matters a great deal. I'm grateful for those who responded to my questions. I do have ADHD as well, but people on the autism spectrum are like 80% likely to have that going on as well so that's not really a surprise.

One last thing regarding the gifs: yeah, I would say that a picture of Michael Jackson from Thriller is most likely a Thriller reference of some kind, a movie reference of some kind, or a supernatural reference of some kind before it is a child molestation reference. However, that there is exists any realistic chance that it might be the latter, it will always be a constant thorn of anxiety and leads to indecision. But I feel a little more confident now, maybe.

There is no chance it is the latter. I can tell with 100% confidence that the gif is not a child molestation reference.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quabzor posted:

Command hooks should work for most things that would be hung from nails.

Yeah I thought about those, but with the painting I was trying to hang over it they would stick out a bit farther than I'd like.

I'm torn between either waiting to get a poster reframed and command hooking it over it then, or trying to find a smallish tapestry or something to go over it. Decisions, decisions :psyduck:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I know, and don't care. That's why I asked the stupid questions thread about the caloric density of elephant meat.

Think of it as just my being curious if that helps.
But you objectively do care, if the answer to your question was 0.07, then your players wouldn't think "holy poo poo a mammoth could feed the village for X weeks, this is too good a chance to pass up", because it couldn't, and then you wouldn't get the merry chase you want. Being curious about the actual answer to this question doesn't achieve your goals at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

twodot posted:

But you objectively do care, if the answer to your question was 0.07, then your players wouldn't think "holy poo poo a mammoth could feed the village for X weeks, this is too good a chance to pass up", because it couldn't, and then you wouldn't get the merry chase you want. Being curious about the actual answer to this question doesn't achieve your goals at all.

oh my god

I specifically didn't describe my goals at first because I knew someone would be like this. The only reason I mentioned tabletop at all was on the off chance that other guy was serious about the homework thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The only thing I've said about my goals is it's "for tabletop." Everything else has just been background information about how I came to have a question, not what I plan to do with the information.

I know the answer isn't 0.07, because it's a hairy elephant, not an ice sculpture. I know from comparisons to various game meats that there's not really any question of it being a sufficient amount of meat. It being enough to motivate the players was never in doubt.

My actual goal was just to have a closer-to-reality number because I thought it would be cool -- in other words, curiosity. (Mine, and maybe my players' as well if they'd asked about it.)

So no, I don't care whether accuracy is nonsense or not. I did not ask for your opinion on the merits of simulationism in game design -- although for what it's worth, I probably even agree with you about that issue. But it's not relevant to the question either way.

I just want to know how many calories are in a pound of elephant meat.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Give me a second I think it's actually in a book from culinary school but I had 4 and have been looking. There's nothing online. Elephants are fairly fatty, and their meat is really supple which is why it's normally braised or roasted and seasoned like carne asada. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0028689

I asked an anthropology undergrad from berkley about if anyone ate elephant. Apparently, when we were cave men we ate so much elephant we made them extinct in the middle east. When it was available it was 60% of our diet. From what I understand from similar meats in other countries, my best educated guess is that 2lbs of meat gives you 1700 calories.

With how much fat there is in an elephant and how tough there hide is, how it is served, and all that it would most likely taste like more fatty and tender steak. Imagine sirloin tip over the entirety of the body.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thank you, I really appreciate it. And I'm sorry I was testy about this earlier, it's been a long day for completely unrelated reasons.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only thing I've said about my goals is it's "for tabletop." Everything else has just been background information about how I came to have a question, not what I plan to do with the information.
You were very explicit about your plans:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so that I can then get them into further trouble when it leads them on a merry chase
If you lied to us, and you don't actually care whether the chase happens or not, then yeah go for accuracy if that's fun for you, but if you want the chase to happen and you're just going to make up numbers if the actual numbers don't work out the way you want, then just skip the work and go straight to making up numbers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elephant meat was also preserved by drying it out in the sun with honey on it. Biltong is an evolution of this. If served this way I imagine it would have the same calorie content as biltong or about 150kcal/oz which, in 32oz is 4800 kcal. Honey is calorie dense.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0028689

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

twodot posted:

You were very explicit about your plans:

If you lied to us, and you don't actually care whether the chase happens or not, then yeah go for accuracy if that's fun for you, but if you want the chase to happen and you're just going to make up numbers if the actual numbers don't work out the way you want, then just skip the work and go straight to making up numbers.

I didn't lie about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man I was super close.