Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can't wait until the Musk fan club invades this guy's home looking for his child sex basement. "OH HE DOESN'T HAVE A BASEMENT?!?! THAT'S JUST WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO THINK!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Let's move on from talking about the tech carpetbagger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Significant public investment in basic research and technology cold have gotten us even further without the compromises required for a commercial venture. As a bonus, there's no need to build a cult of personality or further enrich people with more money than they can spend.

Yeah but that was never going to happen, so who cares? Commercial investment was ALWAYS going to be the way forward once the basic science was laid out. Also just :lol: at the idea of gov't doing it right. Let's just forget Apollo 1, Challenger, and Colombia. Also the fact that everyone in this forum knows firsthand how the gov't functions.

He's clearly being a dick to that diver for no apparent reason, though.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 15, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Government already funds/does a whole lot of science though :confused:

It's usually just not that flashy or well-known, even when very successful. But explodey spaceships make for very big news.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was gonna say government funding gave us insulin, an affordable treatment that has saved millions of lives but then I forgot about the fuckery going on in the States

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The GOP has tried three or four times in the last two years to kill ARPA-E and other energy initiatives. Not just climate change or green energy poo poo either, we're talking materials science and other assorted infinitely useful tech.

The GOP doesn't feel that government should be involved in the research industry at all, as witnessed by them shutting down the HHS databases this week.

We are seriously about to enter a scientific dark age.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Godholio posted:

Yeah but that was never going to happen, so who cares? Commercial investment was ALWAYS going to be the way forward once the basic science was laid out. Also just :lol: at the idea of gov't doing it right. Let's just forget Apollo 1, Challenger, and Colombia. Also the fact that everyone in this forum knows firsthand how the gov't functions.

He's clearly being a dick to that diver for no apparent reason, though.

If you’re going to mention those incidents, you should also bring up Spaceship One, the Titanic, Deepwater Horizon...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

If you’re going to mention those incidents, you should also bring up Spaceship One, the Titanic, Deepwater Horizon...

Of course you'd bring up the event where every engineer died :rolleyes:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Musk calling that guy a pedo is absolutely childish spite mixed with creepy projection, but boy would that be a new level of milkshake duck if he happened to be right.

E: Thailand is a fantastic place to make a living as a dive instructor and guide, so I have no suspicions.

Yeah I was gonna say the dudes a professional diver and Thailand isn't exactly a weird place for him to setup shop. gently caress Musk.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

One of the stoker survived.

Then he got a job on the Empress of Ireland :unsmigghh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Public funding is much more efficient at meeting dead rocket engineer quotas :ussr:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

I mean...I went with one government agency and two programs. You spanned a century and multiple companies (but I get your point, and you're not wrong). Nobody's going to do it perfectly, and business has the added "benefit" of financial incentive to cut corners. My point is that government isn't inherently better, safer, or smarter - they cut just as many corners and make equally lovely decisions as we all know. A constant throughout the space age is that the government has funded the early steps then handed bits and pieces off to industry to free up its own resources for follow-on work. They've been doing this since the 50s.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Some good news, for a change:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1018339762967629824?s=21

de Leon is a gently caress Trump, legalize pot, Medicare for All progressive. The Dems, incredibly, managed to not gently caress this one up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doc Hawkins posted:

Weird. So us Musk-haters are actually being less cynical than you.

I could be wrong, but I'm going to act as if we can fund basic research, and provide health care for all, and not die in nuclear fire, etc., etc.

Yes. Also I don't love the guy at all.

See below:

Vasudus posted:

The GOP has tried three or four times in the last two years to kill ARPA-E and other energy initiatives. Not just climate change or green energy poo poo either, we're talking materials science and other assorted infinitely useful tech.

The GOP doesn't feel that government should be involved in the research industry at all, as witnessed by them shutting down the HHS databases this week.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Eej posted:

I was gonna say government funding gave us insulin, an affordable treatment that has saved millions of lives but then I forgot about the fuckery going on in the States

US government research spending is huge, rather than pick out specific examples I'll put in that I've been funded by the US gov to do research before. I'm not even American.

They just do that. Lots.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hexyflexy posted:

US government research spending is huge, rather than pick out specific examples I'll put in that I've been funded by the US gov to do research before. I'm not even American.

They just do that. Lots.

They used to do it a LOT more.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Empress of Ireland :unsmigghh:

quote:

"If the testimony of both captains were to be believed, the collision happened as both vessels were stationary with their engines stopped,"

:lol:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Godholio posted:

And should do it a lot more again, because leaving it to private industry is loving ignorant

"Corporate research" is simply "how cheaply can we do this and still make money, safety and actual advancement be damned"

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Professor Bling posted:

And should do it a lot more again, because leaving it to private industry is loving ignorant

I can understand how you wouldn't understand if you hadn't had experience of the difference between a government lab (or university) and a commercial lab. There's so much research to do that'll never bring any kind of profit, and without it you'll never get to the bit 50 years down the road where society can cash out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

This. I can only speak for the biomedical field, but the money is dwindling. Most of the time you hear about a huge increase etc it's either been an inflationary adjustment, or a specifically targeted budget increase towards a singular issue. What money is left is also being split more into public/private ventures (SBIR grants etc) more than in the past.

It's often heard that private industry should be taking over their share of research but when drug production is beholden to shareholders you get no long-term R&D into things like antibiotics that are not very profitable compared to many other drugs.

So, we get public funded research that private companies take over as public funds run lower and lower and then it gets taken out of an open scientific community and becomes a trade secret. Then poo poo like this happens:

http://antibiotics-theperfectstorm.blogspot.com/2016/08/pfizer-and-astrazeneca.html
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2018/07/novartis-drops-antibiotic-development-program

Those companies close the antibiotics divisions to make more money on boner pills or whatever and now the public sector is still x years behind the curve research wise because any advances made privately are now locked down.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Bunch of people sucking on that government teat the hardest saying no one else needs any

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

GOP doesn't even care about private sector research anymore. See: trying to rescue coal despite advances in geothermal, solar, etc.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that nothing is going to change until they're voted out of office.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was rooting for Croatia but congrats France I guess

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

I was rooting for Croatia but congrats France I guess

Good job France, 2 goals worth a poo poo, one bullshit dive setpiece, and one peno.

Viva la Croatia

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/1018501522156605442?s=19

:thunk:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Air force one now landing in Helsinki, already at least one protest in Helsinki today, with neonazi gang posing with welcome trump sign lmao

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What are Putin's goals? They're that, only biglier

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone ever try asking a Trump fan why Nazis never got behind Reagan/Bush/Dole/Bush/Romney like they have with Donnie?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Lmao at some marine (?) Saluting the plane

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Anyone ever try asking a Trump fan why Nazis never got behind Reagan/Bush/Dole/Bush/Romney like they have with Donnie?

He already answered that a year ago, there are very fine people among the nazis.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Because Nazis are democrats.

This is 100% what they will say.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

Well it's not like America was ever made great by government policies which encouraged the world's top scientific minds to come here.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
EDIT: WOOPS HAHAHA

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The Muskovites really are that dumb.

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1018578339148201984

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1018505513091379200

"Germany made a pipeline deal with Russia. Where they're going to be paying Russia billions and billions of dollars a year for energy, and I say that's not good, that's not fair. You're supposed to be fighting for someone and then that someone gives billions of dollars to the one you're, you know, guarding against. I think it's ridiculous, so I let that be known also this time," Mr. Trump told Glor."

Capitalism … bad?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

There's also 60 years of material on GOP congressmen trying to totally kill FFRDCs in general.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hello

https://twitter.com/im_PULSE/status/1018533571689099265

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Goodbye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXeMoBPSDk

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Very Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SBC owns.

• Locked thread