Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I have Scholar as my subclass on Primrose and gave her a staff to boost her elemental attack, but the stats screen shows her stats based on her dagger. How does having multiple weapons work for stats? Does the game just use whatever gives the strongest bonus for magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Shyfted One posted:

I have Scholar as my subclass on Primrose and gave her a staff to boost her elemental attack, but the stats screen shows her stats based on her dagger. How does having multiple weapons work for stats? Does the game just use whatever gives the strongest bonus for magic?

Only the weapon with the highest +EATK is taken into account

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

H'annit's battle cry on a level 3 boost sounds a step away from a Ed Edd and Eddy soundboard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Something really weird just happened in my game. I have four) Cyrus, Ophelia, Haanit, Therion) characters and was heading from Therion town to Alphyn town, in South Boldor or whatever it's called). Got into a random encounter (area was recommended level 11), and it didn't seem any more difficult than a regular random encounter,, beat the enemies there, and suddenly the game gave me like 1800 exp and everyone gained five or six levels, I have no idea why. The only thing out of the ordinary I did was summon a new creature, some big ol bird I had recently caught, but it didn't seem to do anything special.

I mean I'll take it game, but I have no idea why it just gave me so much exp! (And like 300 sp to boot)

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Something really weird just happened in my game. I have four) Cyrus, Ophelia, Haanit, Therion) characters and was heading from Therion town to Alphyn town, in South Boldor or whatever it's called). Got into a random encounter (area was recommended level 11), and it didn't seem any more difficult than a regular random encounter,, beat the enemies there, and suddenly the game gave me like 1800 exp and everyone gained five or six levels, I have no idea why. The only thing out of the ordinary I did was summon a new creature, some big ol bird I had recently caught, but it didn't seem to do anything special.

I mean I'll take it game, but I have no idea why it just gave me so much exp! (And like 300 sp to boot)

There's a enemy called Cait that can get grouped up with normal mobs. They're the metal slimes of this game: massive exp but very hard to kill.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm still trying to find the perfect party now that I have access to sub-jobs please send help :gonk:

Unrelated: I was pretty harsh on the maps earlier in the thread (during the demo) but it looks like the maps outside of the chapter 1 areas are a bit more varied and I really appreciate that :3: I was a bit worried that every map would be "hallway with 1-3 offshots with chests" but they open up a lot even right outside of where you could go in the demo. The dungeons are neat too, but what is up with several (all?) of them ending up in a plateau with nothing? It's the kind of place you'd expect a boss to be but there's just... nothing. I would guess that they might be quest related but I've been doing all the sidequests I've come across and nothing has sent me to any of them, and they're level 15-20 zones so I'm already starting to outlevel them. I'd love to hear if anyone has found out what they're used for (in spoiler tags)!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I asked earlier but I think it got lost in the release-day euphoria:

So now that people have had time to binge the series how does the combat square up later in the game once you start learning abilities and get a full party? Can you pull off some of the insane kind of poo poo you could in Bravely Default?

Also how do the characters work if they all have their separate stories? Like most of why I play JRPGs is for fun character interaction (FFXV, BD, any Tales game). Do the heroes actually talk and interact or are party members no better than NPCs if they're not in their own story?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pierson posted:

I asked earlier but I think it got lost in the release-day euphoria:

So now that people have had time to binge the series how does the combat square up later in the game once you start learning abilities and get a full party? Can you pull off some of the insane kind of poo poo you could in Bravely Default?

you didn't get an answer because no one here is at endgame

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lord Ephraim posted:

There's a enemy called Cait that can get grouped up with normal mobs. They're the metal slimes of this game: massive exp but very hard to kill.

Ha, the bird thing I summoned seemed to do an instant kill attack, so I didn't even notice it was hard to kill

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pierson posted:

Also how do the characters work if they all have their separate stories? Like most of why I play JRPGs is for fun character interaction (FFXV, BD, any Tales game). Do the heroes actually talk and interact or are party members no better than NPCs if they're not in their own story?

Once you hit Chapter 2 for a character, between that chapter's cutscenes the game will sometimes tell you to Press + for Party Chat, where you get a brief 1-on-1 between that character and one of your other party members, somewhat pertaining to the events going on so far.

Probably not what you're looking for, but they're kinda neat touches.

Terper posted:

you didn't get an answer because no one here is at endgame

Also this because the game is pretty drat big. I'd estimate it'd take 60ish hours to complete everyone's Chapter 4's, and that doesn't even include all the side stuff beyond that.

I'm close to 18 hours in and I'm still on my first Chapter 2 quest.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

edit: n/m, found it

Frankston fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 15, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm losing my mind at all these children that have adult voice sound clips

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this got asked but not answered before/maybe missed it but are subclasses permanent or can you keep assigning them or swapping them out to your characters?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

this got asked but not answered before/maybe missed it but are subclasses permanent or can you keep assigning them or swapping them out to your characters?

You can swap them out, but the each subclass can only be equipped to one character at a time.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OddObserver posted:

You can swap them out, but the each subclass can only be equipped to one character at a time.

Look for the Octopath Fiesta in the future.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

somebody at Squeenix had one hell of a fun time developing all these metastories

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I love this loving game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So am I missing a lot of stuff by not using Provoke or Guide on everyone? Steal/Inquire get you extra items and fun little story bits, but I haven't bothered Provoking anyone unless it seems required for a quest or they're standing in front of a door like an rear end in a top hat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phenotype posted:

So am I missing a lot of stuff by not using Provoke or Guide on everyone? Steal/Inquire get you extra items and fun little story bits, but I haven't bothered Provoking anyone unless it seems required for a quest or they're standing in front of a door like an rear end in a top hat.

You're missing out on beating up the rich and showing those snooty bastards what for.

(Nah, that and the Guide abilities are only situationally useful, and you pretty much nailed what situations they work for.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's party setups and how are you liking it?

Right now I'm using..

Tressa - Thief
Alfyn - Dancer
Ophilia - Scholar
H'aanit - Warrior

..which gives me one character of every path action and every job. Tressa with the money/items and donation of SP and BP, Alfyn with all the buffs, Ophilia with all the spells and H'aanit with all the damage. There are a few costumes I really like (Hunter Tressa, Apothecary Primrose :swoon:) but I have a hard time fitting everything I want in a single party.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So for Chapter 2 you can swap characters in and party chat with them, but only if their moment hasn't passed. So I got one-on-ones with Ophelia and Primrose since their dialogue triggers at the end of Alfyn's quest, but I missed out on Therion and Olberic's. Kind of a shame you can miss them like that, but I'm sure all of them will be floating around the internet within a week or two anyway.

Ophelia's is probably the best because it's Alfyn talking about his rear end itching.

Your Computer posted:

What's everyone's party setups and how are you liking it?

Right now I'm using..

Tressa - Thief
Alfyn - Dancer
Ophilia - Scholar
H'aanit - Warrior

..which gives me one character of every path action and every job. Tressa with the money/items and donation of SP and BP, Alfyn with all the buffs, Ophilia with all the spells and H'aanit with all the damage. There are a few costumes I really like (Hunter Tressa, Apothecary Primrose :swoon:) but I have a hard time fitting everything I want in a single party.

Alfyn - Scholar
Tressa - Thief
H'aanit - Warrior
Cyrus - Dancer

My main issue is Tressa still seems kinda useless half the time, and she still only has one AoE attack between the two jobs, not counting Hire Help of course. Otherwise, Cleric seems kinda weak to me so I just doubled down on Scholar instead, and it's actually working pretty well for Alfyn. Still needs some tweaking, but I've got a ton of game to do that.

Gonna replace Cyrus for Cleric Primrose for her Chapter 2 story and see how that works out for me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Played this until 4am and having so much fun. It's met or exceeded my hopes so far.

You know what's better than finally getting your first Cait kill? Having Primrose use a 2x EXP boosting dance right afterwards. :toot:

Got something like 2150xp and it took Therion/Alfyn from something like 18 to 22 and Olberic went from 9 to 19 or 20. Due to that and exploring (managed to reach several chapter 2 towns, and robbed a couple people) I'm now horribly overleveled for the remaining chapter 1 character recruiting and a bit above the recommended starting level for a couple chapter 2s.

Fun things I've stolen so far: Knight's Sword ( 140atk sword, got it on my 2nd try with only a 3% success rate), robe of flame (amazingly good armor and lots of extra sp, took about a dozen tries but easily worth it), and a holy bow (ridiculous amount of atk, had to save scum to get it though). Getting to the subclass shrines isn't too bad so far. I haven't looked up the 4 bonus jobs yet but if I don't find them during normal gameplay I'll do so then. Currently running warrior on Therion, hunter on Alfyn, apothacary on Olberic, and thief on Primrose. Her magic damage is real bad and I know there's some NPCs with elemental gear (gives +ele atk) and another with a magus dagger (gives a ton of +ele atk) but they're 3% steal rates. I reall do need to consider setting up someone for decent magic damage since my party has been all-in on physical outside of using elements for breaks but :effort:

I noticed a few NPCs with 'forbidden' weapons that have a 0% chance to steal. Which is a shame because the forbidden sword I saw had something ridiculous like 300atk and no negatives, while the staff was -atk while giving a ton of ele atk.

A thing to note for fixing your rep: The cost never appears to go up and is different per town. When I tested this in a village, I let my rep suffer 2x and both times it was only 4k to fix my rep there, while in another town it was 8k, and then 10k elsewhere while still only costing 4k in the first of the three locations.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

For people who feel they need to grind before doing chapter 2: consider instead doing some optional dungeons! There's one in every character's starting area, and some are level 15 so they're a good ramp-up to the level 20 ones.

Due to exploring (and the Cait kill) I'm level 23-24 on Therion, Alfyn, and Primrose, with Olberic at 21-22 and I'm only just now getting my 6th party member (Tressa). 10 hours in too. Exploring is fun. Primrose's allure is busted as hell because the knight you can recruit outside of the church in Saintsberg is like a level 60 character and when they use the triple-hit AOE ice spell it's 1-1.5k damage x3 to everything. More ifthe target's in break and/or weak to ice. Aside from him being able to one-shot enemies right outside of the town, even with his basic melee attack, at level 21 I went in to the level 48 forest by the arena in H'aanit's area (where olberic's chapter 2 happens) and the knight summon was able to kill an encounter there (had to resummon them once) while everyone else focused on healing and keeping the 3 enemies in break as much as possible because they'd hit for 900+ damage. The first time I recruited him I think I only had an 18% success chance and got them on my 2nd try. When I went back to get them again my success was in to the high 20s or low 30s and only took another 2 tries, which is crazy for how insanely powerful of a summon they are. I believe that fight gave 2.6k gold, 600ish exp (+60 more for the break bonus), and over 100 jp. I can only assume that at tha point in the game you either need an absolute ton of money for stuff or cash becomes a non-issue.

I will say that for anyone with Therion who wants a strong, free and easy to reach, spear weapon (as long as you can reach a ch2 town): go to the arena's town and head in to the forbidden forest. There's a purple chest not far from the entry save point and it has an elemental glaive, which has a lot of atk and a shitload of ele atk. You can reach the chest and get back to the save point (which is right by the exit) without any encounters if you have a little luck.

Your Computer posted:

I find it kinda funny how almost no NPC is off-limits. You can rob and beat up Tressa's parents while she's in the party.

Why? Therion doesn't need money to procure items from NPCs. :getin:

Mordiceius posted:

How important are Ophilia's and Primrose's path actions?

I'm thinking switching from Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Primrose to Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Therion

Guiding NPCs around doesn't seem as useful as buying/stealing everything, investigating people, and mauling them with animals.

See above. NPCs can literally break the difficulty early on. Considering that with Primrose's dances I've summoned two monsters so far, one that did an AOE for 9500+ damage to all enemies, and another that did an aoe heal (to all enemies :sigh:) for 2500hp, I imagine that high level H'aanitéMon are also going to be crazy powerful if you're willing to take the time to get them. Hell, even the goblin archers I was able to capture in her chapter 1 quest had a double shot bow attack that was hitting for 1000x2 damage on a single target when buffed to max. Which was far more damage than she or anyone else in the party could do on their own (note: Therion with cross slash and the knight sword is stronger now... a dozen levels and a I-shouldn't-have-this-yet weapon later).

I'd honestly be surprised if hunter doesn't end up being the best damage in the game for burst damage... if you take the time to capture the right enemies.

onesixtwo posted:

People blocking houses in town generally have goodies behind them.

For example, after you recruit Olberic and finish his chapter 1 one of the townspeople's extra info (IE: bring Alfyn or Cyrus) is a hidden item in a house blocked by the old guy NPC and the guard captain's house has something in it too. Both are real nice for Olberic.

someone awful. posted:

I mean technically you can make anyone a healer if you give them the cleric job

e: or apoth for single target healing and status clearing

Alfyn is also able to AOE heal but he needs to use dusts. Still, AOE status removal or a cheap(ish) 800hp AOE heal from Conan the Apothicarian is handy, and there's still higher tier stuff after dust so he can probably do some really powerful stuff if you're willing to spend the ingredients.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Decided to pull the trigger on buying the game since as I've been playing the demo I just kept eyeballing the play time and getting increasingly distraught the closer I got to the 3 hour mark. That's as good a sign as any that a game will be a good purchase.

Also I haven't gotten to her yet but I'm already sold on Tressa due to this uh... very strategic sprite art for her victory pose.

It immediately reminded me of Benjamin from FFMQ and his "I'm flipping you the double bird but we'll pretend it's a shrug."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I feel like tying characters to a single Path Action was kind of a misstep. Most of the parties I want to make are missing out on one of them, and I hate not having all the things. It feels like you only really have a choice of 2 characters to fill each slot.

I am currently running Therion, Cyrus, Ophilia, H'aanit, but I really wanted to keep Tressa and Primrose in my main party. Maybe once I open up subclasses I can swap Prim for Ophilia and give her heal spells. I really like having all of Cyrus' AOE to go along with H'aanit's Linde and Ophilia's AOE light attack. I just swapped off of Alfyn for Ophilia though, and so far it looks like he's a much better healer than she is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Alfyn - Scholar
Tressa - Thief
H'aanit - Warrior
Cyrus - Dancer

My main issue is Tressa still seems kinda useless half the time, and she still only has one AoE attack between the two jobs, not counting Hire Help of course. Otherwise, Cleric seems kinda weak to me so I just doubled down on Scholar instead, and it's actually working pretty well for Alfyn. Still needs some tweaking, but I've got a ton of game to do that.

Gonna replace Cyrus for Cleric Primrose for her Chapter 2 story and see how that works out for me.

I'm running

Tressa - Thief
Ophilia - Dancer
H'aanit - Warrior
Cyrus - Apothecary

I feel like Tressa pulls her weight just fine. I would also count Hire Help's cheapest option as a sword AoE since its only 150 moneys, which is basically nothing.

I don't really know what I want to do with Cyrus. I just went for apothecary to have some offhealing. The Cleric/dancer pair seems pretty good since it gives the cleric some much needed coverage and more support.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
H'aanit's pokémon are really powerful but they're a massive pain to keep up since very few are AoE and the ones that are seem to have very few uses. They also don't say anywhere whether their moves are single or multi hit and they all RNG target.

Phenotype posted:

I feel like tying characters to a single Path Action was kind of a misstep. Most of the parties I want to make are missing out on one of them, and I hate not having all the things. It feels like you only really have a choice of 2 characters to fill each slot.
:same:

add the fact that some characters have passive effects (Therion being the only one able to open purple chests, Cyrus being able to automatically see enemy weaknesses) while other characters have nothing (Ophilia, I'm looking at you) also make it really annoying. I was really hoping you could switch this stuff around with the sub jobs :sigh:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Cyrus is my elemental mage of death

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

add the fact that some characters have passive effects (Therion being the only one able to open purple chests, Cyrus being able to automatically see enemy weaknesses) while other characters have nothing (Ophilia, I'm looking at you) also make it really annoying. I was really hoping you could switch this stuff around with the sub jobs :sigh:

Yeah it's kind of lame and just limits party compositions too much

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Your Computer posted:

H'aanit's pokémon are really powerful but they're a massive pain to keep up since very few are AoE and the ones that are seem to have very few uses. They also don't say anywhere whether their moves are single or multi hit and they all RNG target.

:same:

Ophilia has Minion Powers

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Ophilia does her best :(

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The random dance that has a chance to give you a multiplier to JP and EXP has completely stalled my progress in the story. I love rolling the dice too much.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

Ophilia has Minion Powers
So does Primrose, that's their path action.

Tressa's ability to constantly find $420 money, Therion's purple chests, Cyrus' automatic detection of enemy weaknesses, those are just passive perks that those characters always have and no other character can get. You can subclass a Merchant but you'll never find gold everywhere. You can subclass a thief but you can never open those chests. Only Therion can.

Licarn posted:

Ophilia does her best :(
I felt like she was probably the worst character, but now that I have given her scholar as a secondary job she's become a pretty badass librarian :unsmith:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I felt like she was probably the worst character, but now that I have given her scholar as a secondary job she's become a pretty badass librarian :unsmith:

Solo cleric Ophilia does indeed feel really lackluster since her options are really limited. A scholar or dancer subclass does a lot of work for her.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The problem with Ophilia and Primrose is that their Path Action and Talent are linked. You need to use the Path Action (Guide/Allure) in order to be able to use their Talent (Summon) in battle. I feel like it would have been better to have Summoning just be part of the Path Action, and then give them each a separate Talent. Like give Primrose an extra hit on her normal attacks to represent her using her abilities as a dancer to slip in extra strikes under the opponent's guard, and have Ophilia give like some kind of small HP or SP restoring effect that triggers whenever you enter a new screen, similar to Tressa finding money on the ground.

Game is still insanely good either way, though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

fadam posted:

The random dance that has a chance to give you a multiplier to JP and EXP has completely stalled my progress in the story. I love rolling the dice too much.

gently caress yeah I got a 5x JP on a boss, it was awesome

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I have given every single stat booster to Tressa and you cannot stop me

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh no

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Trying to stay on lookout for good spots for stocking up on ingredients for Alf. Like every encounter in Prim's starting dungeon drop essence of pomegranate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cancel this game immediately