Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

isndl posted:

Got a new phone, it's on Android 8.0 with a manufacturer skin. Google Now Launcher is flagged as incompatible with my device. :shepicide:

The Google Now Launcher was deprecated a long time ago, I want to say with the launch of the first Pixel. Just buy Nova.

e: Should've read the next page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

So I tried installing the Chrome app which is deprecated on desktop but it still synced anyway, even though you can't actually install Chrome apps anymore. Apparently anyone who wants Chrome apps can get them by installing them on Chrome OS and they'll sync over... (which I might do because the Keep app is way more convenient than a Keep tab.)

Chrome > Menu > Create shortcut.

This puts an icon on your desktop which is stupid because it opens a new Chrome window with two tabs...the first tab is the New Tab page, the second tab is the page you created the shortcut for. Useless, right?

Well now you can do this: Chrome > navigate to chrome://apps/ > find the newly-created "app" for the shortcut you just made > right click > open as window.

Now the shortcut on your desktop opens whichever site you started this process on in a window that has no menu, tabs, bookmark bar. There's nothing inside the window borders except that site. This kind of lets you make any site into a desktop application. Not that it has access to any more OS APIs or anything, but I find it useful to separate frequently used app-like websites like Inbox, Calendar, YNAB from my regular bookmarks. On Windows I can pin these shortcuts to the taskbar and they're indistinguishable from regular apps. After pinning them, I just delete them from the desktop.

They must be in the middle of transitioning this to some sort of different system because prior to about a month ago, when you did the first "Create shortcut" step there was an checkbox to set the "open as window" option right there obviating the need for the part where you navigate to the chrome://apps page.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I recall (from this thread, probably) there being a way to share a URL from chrome that is more elegant than long pressing the menu bar, then choosing select all, then choosing share, but I can't find it again. Am I crazy?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, there's "Share" under the 3 dots menu.

Your also shouldn't need to select all. Just long pressing in the menu bar brings up the context menu with everything already selected. Don't click into it first, long press as the first action.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I have a predicament!

My (Pixel 2) text messages to my wife (Pixel 1 XL) constantly fail to go through. Even when they DO go through, they say "delivery failed" for me. This does not happen when texting any other person.

Both of us are former iPhone/iMessage users, we switched over about the same time. I strongly suspect this could have something to do with it.

Could this be true??

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Just by chance you may want to both try the Textra app for messaging and see if you have the same issue?

I had a problem with Google Messaging doing that to mine and being drag rear end slow to boot. Switched to Textra and it sends SMS nearly instantly, is super fast to open and use, and never failed since.

Didn't expect an app to be that big a difference, but it was.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Chrome > Menu > Create shortcut.

This puts an icon on your desktop which is stupid because it opens a new Chrome window with two tabs...the first tab is the New Tab page, the second tab is the page you created the shortcut for. Useless, right?

Well now you can do this: Chrome > navigate to chrome://apps/ > find the newly-created "app" for the shortcut you just made > right click > open as window.

Now the shortcut on your desktop opens whichever site you started this process on in a window that has no menu, tabs, bookmark bar. There's nothing inside the window borders except that site. This kind of lets you make any site into a desktop application. Not that it has access to any more OS APIs or anything, but I find it useful to separate frequently used app-like websites like Inbox, Calendar, YNAB from my regular bookmarks. On Windows I can pin these shortcuts to the taskbar and they're indistinguishable from regular apps. After pinning them, I just delete them from the desktop.

They must be in the middle of transitioning this to some sort of different system because prior to about a month ago, when you did the first "Create shortcut" step there was an checkbox to set the "open as window" option right there obviating the need for the part where you navigate to the chrome://apps page.

I wish I could save a post as a shortcut! Thanks!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

smoobles posted:

I have a predicament!

My (Pixel 2) text messages to my wife (Pixel 1 XL) constantly fail to go through. Even when they DO go through, they say "delivery failed" for me. This does not happen when texting any other person.

Both of us are former iPhone/iMessage users, we switched over about the same time. I strongly suspect this could have something to do with it.

Could this be true??

Did you ever deregister your phone numbers from iMessage?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If the two devices having trouble communicating are both Android, then iMessage can't be the culprit. iMessage works by routing at the client level. The trouble comes if someone with an iPhone tries to send you a message and the client is told by Apple's cloud that the contact is on iMessage services rather than SMS.

Neither Pixel phone knows about iMessage and the carrier has no interaction with iMessage.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The real solution is to use something besides SMS

Taffer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 13, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My Moto Z battery is super hosed and I'm down to like 30 minutes max screen on time and it will just auto shut down if I try to open the camera while below 50% battery. No app seems to be draining it especially fast and trying a full drain/recharge to recalibrate the battery did nothing. The battery life was never great and I've had the phone for a while but the dropoff from being dead halfway through the day, and being dead after breakfast was incredibly quick. Am I just stuck getting the battery replaced?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I have a Pixel 2 XL, and I was wondering if there was any app or function that might allow me to automute notifications from Discord or Facebook Messenger during work hours. I have Do Not Disturb set to Priority Only so that in theory I can still get texts and calls from my family, but I still get notifications from other apps on my lock screen and shade. I work as a high school teacher and have had students try to steal my phone or ask to use it for emergencies, and I'd like to not have my social media appear as notifications during work at all, just in the interest of privacy. Is there a way to tweak Do Not Disturb to accomplish this, or do I need to manually mute those apps every weekday morning?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Whats the best way to transfer data from my old phone to my new one? Smart Switch took all my photos and settings and the apps themselves but all my actual app data - saved accounts and game saves mostly - hasn't gone over. I think last time I used Helium, but I can't get that to backup successfully. Is there something else that will work?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mango sentinel posted:

My Moto Z battery is super hosed and I'm down to like 30 minutes max screen on time and it will just auto shut down if I try to open the camera while below 50% battery. No app seems to be draining it especially fast and trying a full drain/recharge to recalibrate the battery did nothing. The battery life was never great and I've had the phone for a while but the dropoff from being dead halfway through the day, and being dead after breakfast was incredibly quick. Am I just stuck getting the battery replaced?

Yeah. Here's how to do it if you don't mind taking apart your stuff:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Moto+Z+Battery+Replacement/103206

Otherwise I'd just find a cell phone shop that has or can get moto z batteries and have them replace it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

Is there something else that will work?

Unless you're rooted, no.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is this the thread to ask if you're having issues with an android phone? I was looking at the haus of tech support but the template thread there directed me to this subforum.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I wish the smartphone market had some actual competition about design elements. If someone was selling something feature-competitive with the S9 and Pixel 2, but with a phone jack, we could all look at sales and draw some conclusions. With everyone playing follow the leader, we can only have internet slap fights over it. I just bought a Pixel 2 and I can say for sure that I would have paid more for a fatter phone with a jack and a microSD slot, but I didn't really have the choice.

I actually just upgraded from an an old iPhone 6s to a OnePlus 6 for this very reason. No SD slot, but I needed a headphone jack and I felt that there were enough real points of distinction to inform my choice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SirSamVimes posted:

Is this the thread to ask if you're having issues with an android phone? I was looking at the haus of tech support but the template thread there directed me to this subforum.

Ask away.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Uthor posted:

Ask away.

My Huawei G8 seems to be having an identity crisis. I noticed it was being slow and autocorrect wasn't showing up, and after resetting did nothing I decided to factory reset it.

That was a mistake. Turns out that the autocorrect not showing up was because it couldn't connect to any google services, so no google play and I'm stuck without any apps. The android device manager on my computer can't detect my phone to connect with it. It doesn't register when I plug it into my computer with a micro USB. For some reason, even trying to download files directly does nothing.

Any clue wtf could be happening?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

My Huawei G8 seems to be having an identity crisis. I noticed it was being slow and autocorrect wasn't showing up, and after resetting did nothing I decided to factory reset it.

That was a mistake. Turns out that the autocorrect not showing up was because it couldn't connect to any google services, so no google play and I'm stuck without any apps. The android device manager on my computer can't detect my phone to connect with it. It doesn't register when I plug it into my computer with a micro USB. For some reason, even trying to download files directly does nothing.

Any clue wtf could be happening?

Do you have a web browser on the phone? You can download play services and play store apks from apkmirror, or do you mean you can't download files through the browser either? If that's the case try resetting it again, maybe something went wrong. I assume seeing as you don't have Google services you can't use Google drive either?

You may need to install drivers for the phone onto the computer to get it to be recognized also

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blue Train posted:

Do you have a web browser on the phone? You can download play services and play store apks from apkmirror, or do you mean you can't download files through the browser either? If that's the case try resetting it again, maybe something went wrong. I assume seeing as you don't have Google services you can't use Google drive either?

You may need to install drivers for the phone onto the computer to get it to be recognized also

I tried using a browser and the download prompt came up just fine, but upon confirming it nothing happened. No little download icon. And no google drive, yeah. Anything tied to my google account is a no go, but Chrome works just fine.

If factory resetting it once did nothing, do you think trying again would work? I'll do it anyway.

My computer used to recognise the phone just fine, so I don't know why I'd suddenly need drivers.

edit: upon trying to factory reset again, either the button is highlighting for a moment and nothing is happening or the little "please wait" window appears and promptly vanishes

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 15, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The three ways an issue can persist across a factory reset are:

1) Hardware fault
2) Rooted, by user or malware
3) Restoring the issue from backup

Care to rule out 2 & 3?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I haven't rooted myself and I have no idea if there's any malware that did it, but I did keep backed up data.

Factory reset from the boot menu without backups seems to have fixed it, so I guess number 3 was the issue there.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Were you getting any updates through prior? A couple of days without the Play store throwing a notification is usually the first sign it's services module has done something bad to itself.
If it does it again you can try a less drastic approach - clear the cache for Google Play services. If that doesn't help, delete the data. If that doesn't help, uninstall the updates for it and let it update itself to the latest version again.

You can try the above on the backed up data if you want to avoid starting fresh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Khablam posted:

Were you getting any updates through prior? A couple of days without the Play store throwing a notification is usually the first sign it's services module has done something bad to itself.
If it does it again you can try a less drastic approach - clear the cache for Google Play services. If that doesn't help, delete the data. If that doesn't help, uninstall the updates for it and let it update itself to the latest version again.

You can try the above on the backed up data if you want to avoid starting fresh.

I'd already tried clearing the cache for Google Play and Google Play Services.

Anyways, the factory reset from boot menu fixed the issue so thanks for offering advice. I probably wouldn't have tried factory resetting again without the suggestion. :)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
This new phone GPS locks on fast but my position starts drifting, sometimes even when I'm standing still. Location circle is small so the phone thinks it knows where I am, compass claims calibrated and appears to have my correct orientation, but walking down the street has my position drift across the street into buildings sometimes. Bad accelerometer?

Debating whether it's worth the hassle of getting it exchanged because it's still close enough for directions and I already have half my apps set up. :shrug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Recalibrate your compass maybe?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Internet Explorer posted:

Recalibrate your compass maybe?

Did the figure eight thing a dozen times now, no difference. Though today the GPS seemed less drifty than yesterday so maybe it's a fluke with cloudy weather or a bad satellite or something, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I see lots of people here love the Pixel 2, but no mention of the S9. Is there something wrong with the S9?

Also, does anyone have a Pixel discount code?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The S9 is fine if you don't mind getting Samsunged

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you buy an S8/S9 unlocked, you'll get a minimum amount of Samsungd as the updates are best-of-the-rest now, behind Google (ofc) but ahead of just about anyone except Nokia, who are doing really good work. The Samsung Experience™ is now mostly positive; mobile CPUs are strong enough that adding a few UI improvements and their own multi-process etc don't overall degrade the phone anymore.

[in the uk] The sales of Pixel 2 have been poo poo enough that you can get one for about the same as a chinaphone if you look around for carrier offers / carphone warhouse sales, as they look to clear the stock. It's probably ~£200 cheaper than an S9 through most retailers so you'd be mad to not go P2 at that point.

Speaking of price crashes, UK goons can get a Nokia 8 2017 from John Lewis (with 2 year warranty) for £299 unlocked.
That's an absolutely insane amount of phone (sd835 / 4Gb / 64Gb -- :siren: headphone jack and SD slot :siren:) for the price.
If you've seen lacklustre reviews mentioning the weak camera, check the release price they were reviewing at. It's best-in-class at ~£300 and Gcam mod fixes all the issues if you don't mind using it.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Pinball posted:

I have a Pixel 2 XL, and I was wondering if there was any app or function that might allow me to automute notifications from Discord or Facebook Messenger during work hours. I have Do Not Disturb set to Priority Only so that in theory I can still get texts and calls from my family, but I still get notifications from other apps on my lock screen and shade. I work as a high school teacher and have had students try to steal my phone or ask to use it for emergencies, and I'd like to not have my social media appear as notifications during work at all, just in the interest of privacy. Is there a way to tweak Do Not Disturb to accomplish this, or do I need to manually mute those apps every weekday morning?

If you go to Settings, Apps & Notifications, Notifications, On Lock Screen, there is an option to hide sensitive content. This will show that you received a notification and how long ago but no other information. Other than that, no idea.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I had to buy a washer and dryer the other day and I refused to even consider Samsung since their phones are such poo poo

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ask Me For Warez posted:

If you go to Settings, Apps & Notifications, Notifications, On Lock Screen, there is an option to hide sensitive content. This will show that you received a notification and how long ago but no other information. Other than that, no idea.

That should work as long as they don't need to unlock the phone for a student (there was mention of using the phone for emergencies).

I was just thinking about this and have two ideas.

First, utilize screen pinning. You'll have to turn it on. It will keep a single app in focus. You should be able to set it so your passcode is required to unpin. Not sure how notifications are handled in this case.

Second, switch the user to guest or create a custom user just for the students. You can control what apps are available. One's accounts ought to be separate at this point. I would assume that whoever has the phone has access to SMS, however. Looks like one can switch users if they are a guest, but it goes to the lock screen in that case.

I'm assuming you have a secured passcode in the first place.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Poque posted:

I had to buy a washer and dryer the other day and I refused to even consider Samsung since their phones are such poo poo

Well their home appliances also have a history of self immolation, so that's probably still a good decision.

Edit: https://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/some-samsung-washers-may-pose-safety-risk/

Bandire fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 15, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Just put pixel launcher on this $25 phone, now it's running at a usable speed A+++

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Or, get a burner phone on ting and pay like $7/month for calling only. Pretend you're a drug dealer!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So is it a known issue with the Google Pixel and Pixel XL where they simply won't boot at times, and you have to keep trying to get into the bootloader screen until it finally takes? Because I've got a Pixel XL (unlocked, but not rooted), and my mother has a Pixel (locked), and they're *both* exhibiting a really annoying habit of not wanting to boot unless you plug them into a power source and then repeatedly try and get the bootloader screen to finally come up. I've gotten around my issue by keeping my phone on and simply restarting it periodically to clear the memory, but my mother, who bought the Pixel on my recommendation when her LG G2 finally died, insists on turning hers off, and every time it "dies" on her, I get an annoying call at home/work/wherever, and I'm just wondering if there's a fix other than returning the phone(s) back to stock.

Both phones are running the July 2018 build of Android 8.1.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't heard of or experience that with my XL, but then again i only reboot my phone once a month for the security updates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So is it a known issue with the Google Pixel and Pixel XL where they simply won't boot at times, and you have to keep trying to get into the bootloader screen until it finally takes? Because I've got a Pixel XL (unlocked, but not rooted), and my mother has a Pixel (locked), and they're *both* exhibiting a really annoying habit of not wanting to boot unless you plug them into a power source and then repeatedly try and get the bootloader screen to finally come up. I've gotten around my issue by keeping my phone on and simply restarting it periodically to clear the memory, but my mother, who bought the Pixel on my recommendation when her LG G2 finally died, insists on turning hers off, and every time it "dies" on her, I get an annoying call at home/work/wherever, and I'm just wondering if there's a fix other than returning the phone(s) back to stock.

Both phones are running the July 2018 build of Android 8.1.

lol what?