Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olberic
Tressa
Ophilia

Rando Fourth

is a good enough party for me. Olberic and Tressa just truck through everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

As far as I can tell turn order is based a lot on speed, and speed is determined a not insignificant amount by what weapon type you're using

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It physically pains me picking four people to roll with.

Also, how good are the items in the purple chests? Or are they mostly disappointing?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So do H'aanit's beasts scale at all, or is it just "Capture higher level creatures to deal more damage"?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

It physically pains me picking four people to roll with.

Also, how good are the items in the purple chests? Or are they mostly disappointing?
The ones I've opened have had really good equipment or permanent status boosting items. Aka. stuff you definitely want ASAP :sigh:

Licarn posted:

H'aanit's first support skill gives her a chance to attack first in battle.
yeah I discovered that later like an idiot :doh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Your Computer posted:

The ones I've opened have had really good equipment or permanent status boosting items. Aka. stuff you definitely want ASAP :sigh:

This game is dogging all of us that picked Tressa. :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

no regrets

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Party skits only unlocking if the two characters are in your active party is such a bafflingly bad design decision. Having to switch your party around after every cutscene if you want to see if you've unlocked one of the few instances of party interaction in this game is for the birds

Tressa, how does this make you feel?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Andrast posted:

no regrets

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hopefully someone compiles a list of all the party skits so I can be prepped for them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Three characters deep into an OCTOPATH run but I think I'm going to backtrack to H'aanit because she seems to fit this particular motley group well.

Will start over at Olberic because I like the idea of a former knight without a mission teaming up with a former princess with a kill list.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
should i buy this game? i need something to do on my switch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

should i buy this game? i need something to do on my switch.

Sure why not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Getting around to actually playing this now. Two questions now that the game is actually out:

1. To what degree does your starting character matter? I know they can't leave the party, but is there anything other than that? (Minor spoilers are okay if you've completed the game and there's something where your main character takes focus or something--I don't need specifics but just like "yes, there are story elements where your main character matters" is enough detail, if anyone knows that much anyway.)

2. What kind of builds does Alfyn lend himself to? I'm between starting with him and with Cyrus, and while I know that Cyrus's magical nuking is probably always going to be a helpful addition to the party, I'm wondering if Alfyn being more of a support dude with his mixes would also be a really good thing to always have around.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
well if it's bad i shouldn't buy it that's why not!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

well if it's bad i shouldn't buy it that's why not!!

it's good

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

what are some good multiclass choices?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Space Fish posted:

Three characters deep into an OCTOPATH run but I think I'm going to backtrack to H'aanit because she seems to fit this particular motley group well.

Will start over at Olberic because I like the idea of a former knight without a mission teaming up with a former princess with a kill list.

You can fast travel between cities so there's not much backtracking involved

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

2. What kind of builds does Alfyn lend himself to? I'm between starting with him and with Cyrus, and while I know that Cyrus's magical nuking is probably always going to be a helpful addition to the party, I'm wondering if Alfyn being more of a support dude with his mixes would also be a really good thing to always have around.

I chose to focus on support so now he is healing the world through the power of dance

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's amazing to fail an 85% steal 4 times in a row

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have 30 minutes left of the demo and I'm still not sure if I want to wait until the physical version gets stock around here or just buy it from the eshop. :ohdear:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lmao Prim's dance is so ridiculous. Why yes I would like you to one shot the boss and give me 3x exp for my troubles.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Lmao Prim's dance is so ridiculous. Why yes I would like you to lose all my items and get my hp reduced to 1 for my troubles.
:hmmyes:

gmq posted:

I have 30 minutes left of the demo and I'm still not sure if I want to wait until the physical version gets stock around here or just buy it from the eshop. :ohdear:
it's 2018, buy digital

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I'm never using that ridiculous dance again. I killed a Cait on the first turn and then spent the rest of the fight trying to make the dance give me a bonus. It went... not good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It sounds like people are sticking with one party of four instead of switching around all the time? Is there a reason for that, like is switching your party a big pain in the rear end, or is it just how some people like to play?

Mostly asking because I've seen people comparing Tressa and Therion's path actions (with Therion's lockpicking on top) and I'm just like "why not both"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Harrow posted:

Getting around to actually playing this now. Two questions now that the game is actually out:

1. To what degree does your starting character matter? I know they can't leave the party, but is there anything other than that? (Minor spoilers are okay if you've completed the game and there's something where your main character takes focus or something--I don't need specifics but just like "yes, there are story elements where your main character matters" is enough detail, if anyone knows that much anyway.)

You can't remove your starting character from the party until you've finished their story. If you pick a starting character whose path ability is extremely similar to another's (like, say, Alfyn and Cyrus, or Primrose and Ophilia), that can marginally increase the inherent awkwardness involved with recruiting a new character past the fourth one, but that's something you were going to have to deal with anyway.

While you can recruit the other seven in any order you want, geographically speaking, some will be easier to access than others, and you'll always end up with a balanced party if you recruit only characters who are adjacent to characters you've already recruited.

Mathematically speaking, every choice involves tradeoffs that can't easily be compared, so really, the best thing you can do is start with the one whose sprite and voice clips you like best. I started by letting a random number generator tell me my first character (H'aanit), and the effects of this choice are so subtle and complex that I think no prior description could have helped me decide which one I now think I'd actually like to have started with.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

It sounds like people are sticking with one party of four instead of switching around all the time? Is there a reason for that, like is switching your party a big pain in the rear end, or is it just how some people like to play?

Mostly asking because I've seen people comparing Tressa and Therion's path actions (with Therion's lockpicking on top) and I'm just like "why not both"
Mostly because it's a pain. You can only switch party members through an inn and you have to go through several menus, and then there's equipment to take care of, and then there's leveling to keep in mind since only your active part gains exp. It's a lot of effort to keep switching around, basically.

That's also why I wanted a party with all 4 path actions since it's a pain in the butt to go to the inn, switch around party members, go back, use the path action, go back to the inn, switch around party members, etc.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Your Computer posted:

These purple chests are absolutely killing me. Why would they do this?
Capture them, then do a map run later with random counters reduced?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

someone awful. posted:

I actually like the fact that each member has something unique to only them. I just wish Therion's wasn't "be able to open a box". :sigh:

Alchemist is still pretty decent as a job, you get good single target healing, a status cure/immunity buff, and poison is a lot more hard hitting than you'd expect it to be.

Tell me about it. I've just slowly tortured Balogar the Runelord to death by building up the Sidestep counter to extremely high levels and spamming poison on his rear end. The gist of it being that, well, Cyrus is a Rune Lord now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hm, starting to think I might want to do like Alfyn, Primrose, Therion, and H'aanit, maybe. Alfyn to be the tanky healer/support, Primrose for buffs and magic damage once she can get the Scholar subclass, Therion for debuffing and opening Special Chests For The Special Thief Boy, and H'aanit for just nuking poo poo from orbit with physical damage.

It pains me not to take Tressa along all the time so that the party can have both of the Very Good Kids Alfyn and Tressa, but maybe that means once I finish Alfyn's story I can just treat Tressa as my new main while I do the other four :v:

The first party is one noble-type dude being constantly embarrassed by the rogues he hangs out with and the second one is Cyrus just prying into everyone's business while the noble characters around him just sigh in exasperation.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

someone awful. posted:

Every character has 1 path action and 1 talent, it's just with the exception of Tressa and Therion they're "a path action and something you can do in combat"

Actually, Cyrus doesn't get anything special to do in combat either. I unlocked the Scholar subclass just now so he might be leaving the party...but that free spying at the beginning of each fight is really a gamechanger. I would never find out some of those weaknesses otherwise, and it saves a couple turns experimenting when I meet new enemies.

So I guess he does get something special! Just no extra commands.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Actually, Cyrus doesn't get anything special to do in combat either. I unlocked the Scholar subclass just now so he might be leaving the party...but that free spying at the beginning of each fight is really a gamechanger. I would never find out some of those weaknesses otherwise, and it saves a couple turns experimenting when I meet new enemies.

So I guess he does get something special! Just no extra commands.

Yeah it's not always an extra command -- olberic's, for example, is just "you can boost when you defend" :confuoot: -- but his definitely is an in-combat special ability (and it's really good and i rely on it so much and i will never take him out of my party :negative: )

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Honestly, Cyrus's spells and talent are just so useful that I'll never take him out the party, even if I could.

Now, having two Scholars in the party would be pretty pretty good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Hm, starting to think I might want to do like Alfyn, Primrose, Therion, and H'aanit, maybe. .

This is who I've been rolling with and it owns. Sometimes switching out Therion for Tressa if I feel like it which is nice since she brings the spears. H'aanit is super op I love her.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Haanit's talent is neat as gently caress and she's probably gonna join Alfyn as my set core once I finish her chapter 1 alongside one of Therion or Tressa.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

I've been changing out characters after I beat their chapter stories and it really hasn't been a big deal.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Andrast posted:

Heals are based on elemental defense

Wait, what? Is it like this in most jrpgs? I've always assumed it was based on Magic Attack. Where do you look this kind of info up?

Also is there anywhere you can look up info on the buffs and debuffs? Such as how much blind lowers accuracy? And I think it only affects physical attack but would like to make sure.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Aquasnake posted:

Wait, what? Is it like this in most jrpgs? I've always assumed it was based on Magic Attack. Where do you look this kind of info up?

Yeah it's definitely a thing, but not so much a thing that I assumed that's how it worked at first. I've been giving her all my strong e.def armor and her small all target heal does 900 unboosted. Level 30 but not too far in the game, I somehow found like 10 caits.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The biggest shock I've read today is that Tressa's VA is Sarah Ryder from Mass Effect.

Good god, that director must've been poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just got all the way around to H'aanit, I think she's gonna go into my party. I think my four are going to be Ophelia, Therion, Alfyn, and H'aanit, since I like all of them a lot and they seem to mesh well. Looking forward to messing with subjobs, looking forward to making Ophelia a paladin or thuerge or something.