Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I've also houseruled runes to provide extra benefits for making spells permanent, to offset how the spell ends if the runes are disrupted. I think what I went with was waiving the reach to get to advanced duration for spells cast with runes.

E: I also have a player who used Mind and rune tattoos to bump up a number of skills permanently to 5, so I'm looking forward to her getting in a fight with a Mage who knows to aim for that. It'll spice things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Jhet posted:

Pitfalls. Spellcasting is a lot different in how it's done, but it may not be immediately obvious if you're speed reading through it because you're already familiar with 1e. Other than that, just get used to people trying to fit yantras into everything, and maybe just leave them to do it. It can take up a lot of time figuring out spellcasting pools even when quick, so figure out how your group wants to play and then just roll with that level of pickiness. Maybe your group will be better than I am about the minutiae, and that's cool too. Biggest advice is to use Group Beats because of all the arguments that happened about 15 pages ago. You probably already read them. They work great, I love them. The mages in my game actually grow at a steady pace.

You also asked about Magical Traditions, and this stuff is easy to roll into Yantras. Runes, esoterica, and the like could all easily be rolled into spellcasting implements, and the themes are up to you about how they actually intersect with magic. Personally, we end up using Runes the most, but I think they're a +2 yantra and they have to take time drawing them out so they're best for ritual casting.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I've also houseruled runes to provide extra benefits for making spells permanent, to offset how the spell ends if the runes are disrupted. I think what I went with was waiving the reach to get to advanced duration for spells cast with runes.

E: I also have a player who used Mind and rune tattoos to bump up a number of skills permanently to 5, so I'm looking forward to her getting in a fight with a Mage who knows to aim for that. It'll spice things up.

Noted. I'll do some more deep digging into the spellcasting section, which has been my longest 'read this section' portion of the game prep.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That actually makes sense, but they could still renounce him.

Why? Zak S has done nothing wrong. He has broken no laws, committed no crimes, and is an annoying douche that makes great games. Sorry, that's not good enough of a reason to "renounce" someone like we're in maoist china.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Before anyone engages with the post above me, consider the source.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Before anyone engages with the post above me, consider the source.

I have factually said on multiple occasions that Zak is a toolbox who sucks, but he isn't the monster you idiots claim he is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
oh for sure buddy

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

oh for sure buddy

Great counter-argument, you've convinced me that Zak is literally a hitlernazi! Quick, we need to get you to the whitehouse, you'll easily be able to convince the president to step down so we can save america!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That’s not an argument. There’s literally no point with arguing with a stupid rear end in a top hat like you so just gently caress off.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

I have factually said on multiple occasions that Zak is a toolbox who sucks, but he isn't the monster you idiots claim he is.

Found the Zak S sock puppet

thanks for helping lowtax keep the lights on btw

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Found the Zak S sock puppet

thanks for helping lowtax keep the lights on btw

I am not Zak S you poo poo-gargling fuckpuppet. Go gently caress your mother and get raped by a horse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I am not Zak S you poo poo-gargling fuckpuppet. Go gently caress your mother and get raped by a horse.

c'mon Zak there is no need for that kind of language

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

whoever you are please dont post like a 2007 youtube video about bad atari games

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wrestlepig posted:

whoever you are please dont post like a 2007 youtube video about bad atari games

Man they go hard in the retro community.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

c'mon Zak there is no need for that kind of language

I'll have you know slander is a crime, you fucker. You looking for a legal out? You think my poo poo doesn't sell? You think I'm not loaded with my LotFP royalties? You're loving finished kid, you're about to get screencapped and dropped on twitter so hard your loving head will spin.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I'll have you know slander is a crime, you fucker. You looking for a legal out? You think my poo poo doesn't sell? You think I'm not loaded with my LotFP royalties? You're loving finished kid, you're about to get screencapped and dropped on twitter so hard your loving head will spin.

Tbh I think you're overreacting just a bit Zak

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

lol

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
*Peers closely, trying to decide if the forums are rendering a 2018 registration as 2013, or this is so many layers deep satire that we're in Narnia.*

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Shockeh posted:

*Peers closely, trying to decide if the forums are rendering a 2018 registration as 2013, or this is so many layers deep satire that we're in Narnia.*

Could just be a long term investment.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Shockeh posted:

There is no satire here. Zak is unironically the single most important thing in RPGs today. I literally and factually stuffed the poo poo out of those ballots and voted for Frosbitten and Mutilated fifteen making GBS threads times, and I'm not even supposed to vote for my own products supposed to do that! He's the emperor of game design, the napoleon of encounter tables. You sir, a twat tillion rower ne.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Don't you have some women to harass about games journalism ethics?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Aw, it was kinda good until it was overcooked, now I'm just disappointed. :smith:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I read an article about a book called Charnel House and because I studied the Holocaust in college and heard bad things about current WOD, which I liked in high school I figured I'll go see what goons are saying about it , then I come into this thread and I'm like YIKES

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Frog Act posted:

I read an article about a book called Charnel House and because I studied the Holocaust in college and heard bad things about current WOD, which I liked in high school I figured I'll go see what goons are saying about it , then I come into this thread and I'm like YIKES

Charnel Houses of Europe: the Shoah is a pretty respectful and well written book. 8/10 worth reading for the average gamer (probably not as impressive for a Holocaust scholar), but there's still some WoD derpiness in there (like interchanging Ukrainian and Russian ethnicities all over the place).

Lost_Heretic fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 16, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Frog Act posted:

The thing with a lot of White Wolf projects is that the quality and lack of horrible cringe factor depended a lot on who was running that particular show. Charnel Houses of Europe had very good running; Freak Legion, I assume, did not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nessus posted:

The thing with a lot of White Wolf projects is that the quality and lack of horrible cringe factor depended a lot on who was running that particular show. Charnel Houses of Europe had very good running; Freak Legion, I assume, did not.

It did not, dear god did it not, for most of the author's on the book they either never worked with White Wolf again, or went on to write something just as bad or worse.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Freak legion had the savage genitalia merit/power so you decide

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Frog Act posted:

I reviewed it here:

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/monsieurchoc/charnel-houses-of-europe-the-shoah/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I read Charnel Houses, thought 'wow, this is actually well done and now I never want to read it again and would never use it in a Wraith game I ever ran ever.' Like, I'm honestly glad it exists but it's certainly not something I think we need to revisit. Especially with the less than deft hands currently manning the WW ship.

Now, Freak Legion I actually own and it is as every bit the delight you've heard. I like to think that it got stuff out of people's systems so they could work on better things, but as said above most of the writers went on to write worse things aside from maybe Cassada and Rea. I was also going to say Jim Moore, but he wrote Berlin by Night so ha ha no.

Brucato worked on it. You're not surprised.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there an equivalent to something like D&D's Dexterity saving throw in CofD, which would allow someone to dodge out of the way of a non-attack effect?

The players in my Mage game were fighting against a very fast-moving enemy, and one of them got the clever idea of using Matter to cause some nearby metal to wrap around the target to hold them down. It makes sense that a fast enemy should be able to avoid getting caught in that, but I didn't know how to adjudicate that. Since I didn't want to bog down the game while I dove for the rulebook, I went with a Dex+Athletics roll penalized by Potency, but there's got to be a better solution than that.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

blastron posted:

Is there an equivalent to something like D&D's Dexterity saving throw in CofD, which would allow someone to dodge out of the way of a non-attack effect?

The players in my Mage game were fighting against a very fast-moving enemy, and one of them got the clever idea of using Matter to cause some nearby metal to wrap around the target to hold them down. It makes sense that a fast enemy should be able to avoid getting caught in that, but I didn't know how to adjudicate that. Since I didn't want to bog down the game while I dove for the rulebook, I went with a Dex+Athletics roll penalized by Potency, but there's got to be a better solution than that.

Unless the mage Aims the spell as a projectile thing, no.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
In that example, it makes literally no sense for it to not be evadable. It's not as if the metal is suddenly appeared around the target to hold them in place.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The main problems with Shoah lie in that it's difficult to actually bring to the table, it's very selective in what it covers (and fair enough - notably, though, it isn't the sole extent of the 'dark kingdom of wire' but rather just some of the most notable, so presumably every camp and ghetto has a reflection), ignores some of the victims, and, though I disagree with this one, that it gives the Holocaust 'undue weight' compared to other mass slaughters in human history.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rubix Squid posted:

In that example, it makes literally no sense for it to not be evadable. It's not as if the metal is suddenly appeared around the target to hold them in place.

As someone running Mage, I have to agree: the way line of sight spells rely solely on player dice pool to lay on effects is cool, but so far it's made players fight by just unloading direct damage spells with line of sight as fast as they can as a group until the enemy falls over in a way that's frankly boring for everyone. At the same time, I can't do the same with enemy mages because it would just kill PCs fast and in an uninteresting manner.

My solution thus far has been to have Awakened opponents roll up with Prime Mage Armor and similar, and then have said opponents fight non-optimally, but Mage absolutely likes magic to be by fiat in a way that makes the number of spellcasting bodies you can field the winning quantity. Experience and magical skill have mattered a lot less than 'there's four of us and we can basically guarantee you take some damage every one of our turns, on a CofD health track.'

I don't have a solution to this yet to make things more interesting in combat other than Prime Armor, as noted.

E: to be clear, I realize combat isn't the central element of Mage, but my issue is less 'it's not tactical enough' and more 'it's hard to make horrors and Tremere feel like threats when confrontations are intensely binary and I don't want to end the chronicle or make the players feel like everything is hopeless' - my experience with Werewolf is actually very different in this regard because of how much punishment PCs can wade through in a physical sense.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 16, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is that even with the fact that damage spells need to pre-call how much damage they're going to do before you even roll? That's an aspect I find a lot of people forget about.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Doubly so- because there's no uncertainty beyond the spell roll which they have a ton of control over. Once they know the withstand they're up against they can take it for granted that a human will die in 7 health levels. Hell, if they just focused on doing 2 HL each, and the enemy isn't regenerating or obviously inhuman, they can pretty reliably kill someone by staring at them consistently for a round.

My only houserule on this so far has been to say that aimed damage spells use the enemy's Armor as Witchstand instead of Stamina or what have you, because it encourages throwing spells against Defense which has made magical gunfights more interesting. Also, Prime Armor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How many dice are they rolling to be able to do this consistently to every foe, especially after having to take penalties for range and all that? Especially since Withstand eats Potency directly?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 16, 2018

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
How do people feel about Scion now that the Origins text is out? I didn't back because the first edition was such a mess but I'm considering preordering through backerkit. The idea of having an openly known Urban fantasy setting is appealing, do people think it's worth picking up?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

neaden posted:

How do people feel about Scion now that the Origins text is out? I didn't back because the first edition was such a mess but I'm considering preordering through backerkit. The idea of having an openly known Urban fantasy setting is appealing, do people think it's worth picking up?

It is extremely good.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
There's also the Prime 2 spell Wards and Signs which provides bonus Withstand against all incoming spells, which when combined with Prime Armor can make it very easy for a Mage to avoid a lot of direct magical damage, which would then require some creativity to get around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

neaden posted:

My main criticism of the preview material that wasn't "needs an editing pass" is that I thought the sample characters were very dull.

This is like complaining that the paintings on the wall at the 3 star restaurant with a $25 prix fixe tasting menu are bad, though

e: The sample characters were also mechanically incorrect which is probably a larger actual problem than "Nessus the picky goon doesn't find these archetypes sufficiently vibrant to satisfy his two-headed rear end"