Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Yeah I've had desktop techs ask me about /24's. I wouldn't look down my nose at users like that, but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think if you have cause to ask me about an IP range, you better understand when I reply 10.1.10.0/24.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think if you have cause to ask me about an IP range, you better understand when I reply 10.1.10.0/24.

Thats 10.1.10.1 through 10.1.10.24 right?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Seriously tho can someone explain to me the 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x reserved range? Why is it numbered so oddly?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RFC2324 posted:

Seriously tho can someone explain to me the 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x reserved range? Why is it numbered so oddly?

The whole 172.x block was barely used besides the private 20 bit range until the late 2000s as IPs ran out. I mean, why stick the smallest network on 192.168.x.x either? Because it's just somewhere you can fit it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fishmech posted:

The whole 172.x block was barely used besides the private 20 bit range until the late 2000s as IPs ran out. I mean, why stick the smallest network on 192.168.x.x either? Because it's just somewhere you can fit it.

That's not what i was asking. 192.168 is a /16. The 10.x is a /8. Both start at an obvious point given the size of the address range, even if that start point is arbitrary. The 172.16 is an oddly sized range starting at a point with no obvious logic. Why? Don't these ranges predate cidr?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Thats 10.1.10.1 through 10.1.10.24 right?
No, it's 10.1.10.0 through 10.1.10.24. Duh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, 4.2.12.5. What do you think divided by 24 means?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

anthonypants posted:

No, it's 10.1.10.0 through 10.1.10.24. Duh.

Um. Idiot. Do the maths. It's 101,100 divided by 24, so the IP is 4.2.12.5

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
oh hey the red sox won 6-2

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

tactlessbastard posted:

oh hey the red sox won 6-2

Oh god, because I read this now I'll start getting the sports updates.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Just be glad poo poo's not classful anymore ;)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PBS posted:

Oh god, because I read this now I'll start getting the sports updates.

good news they're playing again today

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Um. Idiot. Do the maths. It's 101,100 divided by 24, so the IP is 4.2.12.5

:smug:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

nexus6 posted:

Wait, do you mean 28 days or 20 days PTO? Because where I work 28 is pretty standard for new hires.

source: I'm currently looking for a new job and getting offers of 30+ days

20 days of PTO. There are 5 other days that are considered floating holidays where only some of our divisions are closed. So all things considered, 25 days of PTO with some caveats.

I mean yea, compared to Europe its pretty bad, but from what I can tell, its pretty typical of the US.

Years ago I was helping some people at an external auditing company, and one of the people I was supposed to talk to was out on his sabbatical. He gets 4 weeks off from work, then took a week of vacation on either side of it. So he had most of December and January off. According to the admin assistant I was talking too, auditors are required to take a month off every 5 years, not only so people could audit their work, but also just to keep them from burning out.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

We accumulate a poo poo ton of comp time from being on call/working late/etc in addition to the vacation and sick accruals. I've earned 120 hours of comp in 6 months.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Farking Bastage posted:

We accumulate a poo poo ton of comp time from being on call/working late/etc in addition to the vacation and sick accruals. I've earned 120 hours of comp in 6 months.

But will you take it all before it expires is the important question.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virigoth posted:

If not, you let it roll over, or cash it out at the end of the year.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

CitizenKain posted:

20 days of PTO. There are 5 other days that are considered floating holidays where only some of our divisions are closed. So all things considered, 25 days of PTO with some caveats.

I mean yea, compared to Europe its pretty bad, but from what I can tell, its pretty typical of the US.

Years ago I was helping some people at an external auditing company, and one of the people I was supposed to talk to was out on his sabbatical. He gets 4 weeks off from work, then took a week of vacation on either side of it. So he had most of December and January off. According to the admin assistant I was talking too, auditors are required to take a month off every 5 years, not only so people could audit their work, but also just to keep them from burning out.

A week every two months is pretty friggin' good for the US.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

RFC2324 posted:

That's not what i was asking. 192.168 is a /16. The 10.x is a /8. Both start at an obvious point given the size of the address range, even if that start point is arbitrary. The 172.16 is an oddly sized range starting at a point with no obvious logic. Why? Don't these ranges predate cidr?

10.x is a single class A network.
172.16.x is 16 class B networks.
192.168.x is 256 class C networks.

You must keep in mind that class A, class B, and class C networks are defined by the first few bits of the network address.

0.x-127.x are class A networks, as the first bit is a 0
128.x-191.x are class B networks, as the first two bits are 10
192.x-223.x are class C networks, as the first three bits are 110

The 172.16.x range, as was previously stated, was not really being used, but they likely didn't want to reserve too many addresses away from public addressing. Class B networks are large.
192.168.x is, by classful definition, not a class B network.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Actuarial Fables posted:

You must keep in mind that class A, class B, and class C networks are defined by the first few bits of the network address.

The 172.16.x range, as was previously stated, was not really being used, but they likely didn't want to reserve too many addresses away from public addressing. Class B networks are large.

and you just completely blew away my understanding of classful networking. :aaaaa:

thanks!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

If you guys ever fix this Brexit poo poo, I'll be back to "holy gently caress I need to move to the UK..." :britain:

Until then, Finland is probably at the top of my list. Might still be better, but unless I get really into the idea of learning the insanity that is Welsh I won't have to learn a new language.

The foreigners talking about Brexit thing makes me laugh. How on earth do you know what what's happening? I live here and I don't know what's happening. Our politicians don't know whats happening.

Give me your source of information, because as far as I know everyone is still on the "poo poo, we're actually doing this?" page. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Brexit is basically being in a rowboat and trying to solve the problem of losing your oars by cutting a hole in the hull.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Collateral Damage posted:

Brexit is basically being in a rowboat and trying to solve the problem of losing your oars by cutting a hole in the hull.

Brexit is basically being in a rowboat and trying to solve the problem of worrying about pirates on the boating lake by cutting a hole in the hull.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Well after weeks of spending time learning about Azure and researching architecture options for moving our webapps there at the direction of my manager, our CIO says the company does not want to put PII data into the cloud at this point.

So I guess his thought is that we would run our MSSQL DBs over a VPN and it would work 100% perfect, which was shot down as a very terrible idea that would not work by our DBAs (no poo poo).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wanting to keep PII in house is a extremely uncommon suggestion from C levels though. Usually they treat security like a personal attack on their right to make money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why does our marketing director have the worst ideas.

We're now sending out a 'best practices' guide about file sizes etc. She wants to encourage people to use smallpdf.com.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was she a forum moderator in the early 2000's?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I should have the full draft of what they want to send out as a reminder every week by the end of the day. This should be good.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Do you know how much magnetic tape storage costs?!?!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Went to the source for more info

Hi Robert, nothing specific right now. File sizes came up in the last leadership meeting and sometimes people send internally and externally very large files which takes up space and can slow down email. Marketing made a PDF for ----- to send to a customer that was 32 MB. In cases like that I use smallpdf.com before sending, or ask marketing to shrink. One of my customers would not appreciate a 32 MB attachment clogging up their inbox. Or sometimes ------ or I will email pictures taken on our phone which can be 3 – 5 MB each.

Legit request. I can imagine that guy sending that file like 6 times getting pissed calling IT bitching about email then sending a nasty email to marketing. He's a dick.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Hi Robert, nothing specific right now. File sizes came up in the last leadership meeting and sometimes people send internally and externally very large files which takes up space and can slow down email. Marketing made a PDF for ----- to send to a customer that was 32 MB. In cases like that I use smallpdf.com before sending, or ask marketing to shrink. One of my customers would not appreciate a 32 MB attachment clogging up their inbox. Or sometimes ------ or I will email pictures taken on our phone which can be 3 – 5 MB each.

Legit request. I can imagine that guy sending that file like 6 times getting pissed calling IT bitching about email then sending a nasty email to marketing. He's a dick.

So the right way to handle this is max attachment sizes for emails, not some random 'best practices' document.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ConfusedUs posted:

So the right way to handle this is max attachment sizes for emails, not some random 'best practices' document.

I mean...you have to give people the best practices if you're going to give them a max attachment size.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean...you have to give people the best practices if you're going to give them a max attachment size.

You can give them alternatives, sure. But (almost) no one will use the alternatives unless they're enforced.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
i have to assume the red sox are off today

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tactlessbastard posted:

All-Star Break, kid.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

'by the way I heard some other company that they don't even send attachments, they just send links. It's based on a website called pointshare, I think it's a windows thing? You do Windows, can we set that up?'

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Virigoth posted:

These folks are very nice and pay you out if you accumulate over 80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

I would need both hands to count the number of times I'd walk into a place in my MSP days where their longtime IT guy had left/retired/committed suicide, and found that the internal subnet is a 192.0.0.0/24