Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WHOOPS posted:

the dialog around representative casting has also accelerated dramatically since Dallas Buyers Club came out, particularly in the last 2 years.

This is very true. I also thought that movie came out more recently than it did after looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well googling reviews of danish girl by trans people has unsurprisingly revealed a lot of people unhappy with the movie, and jared leto got a lot of poo poo from queer people over dallas buyers club so perhaps we should look into who exactly is lauding these movies

also these

WHOOPS posted:

the dialog around representative casting has also accelerated dramatically since Dallas Buyers Club came out, particularly in the last 2 years.

Arist posted:

"trans people already aren't getting cast for cis roles, and now we're just casting cis people for trans roles too, so what the gently caress are they supposed to do?"

site fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 15, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

People were also on edge about Rub & Tug because the main character lived as a man, used male pronouns, and was quite clearly a trans man, but early news about ScarJo's casting used language that sent up some flags about how the movie would be portrayed.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/scarlett-johansson-pittsburgh-massage-parlor-crime-queen-rub-and-tug-new-regency-rupert-sandersn-tale-of-pittsburgh-massage-parlor-king-1202419182/ posted:

New Regency has won an auction for Rub & Tug, an American Hustle-like true story in which Rupert Sanders will direct Scarlett Johansson in the fact-based story of a woman who flourished in a male-dominated business of massage parlors and prostitution by essentially taking on the physical identity of a man.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scarlett-johansson-reteams-ghost-shell-director-true-life-massage-parlor-film-rub-tug-1124582 posted:

Scarlett Johansson is reteaming with Rupert Sanders, who directed her in Ghost in the Shell, for Rub & Tug, a drama about a real-life transgender massage parlor owner, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Joel Silver and New Regency will produce the pic about Jean Marie Gill (Johansson), a person assigned female at birth who succeeded in Pittsburgh's 1970s and 1980s massage parlor and prostitution business by assuming the identity of a man, Dante "Tex" Gill.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/scarlett-johansson-rupert-sanders-rub-and-tug-1202863372/ posted:

Based on a true story, the film will focus on Dante “Tex” Gill (Johansson) who flourished in the male-dominated business of massage parlors and prostitution.

Then ScarJo responded to questions with "who cares it's oscarbait" and burned any chance at goodwill. Trans stories are not Mulan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Who is the FtM trans Hollywood actor that ScarJo was taking the role from?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Who is the FtM trans Hollywood actor that ScarJo was taking the role from?

Any trans person who is also an actor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Any trans person who is also an actor.

Okay, edging towards being a douche again here but, is there a list of trans actors? Because other than Laverne Cox I am really unaware of others.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No but there’s a pretty obvious reason why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, guess what? It's extremely loving hard for trans actors to get roles because there's little demand for it and of course they're not 'allowed' to be cast in 'cis' roles. You don't know the list of names because they literally don't have chances to be cast for roles, which means they can't get name recognition, which means they won't get cast for roles. A role such as this is exactly what they need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, guess what? It's extremely loving hard for trans actors to get roles because there's little demand for it and of course they're not 'allowed' to be cast in 'cis' roles. You don't know the list of names because they literally don't have chances to be cast for roles, which means they can't get name recognition, which means they won't get cast for roles. A role such as this is exactly what they need.

Calm your tits, I asked because people were reacting as if there was a specific actor Scarlett had stolen the role from.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Okay, edging towards being a douche again here but, is there a list of trans actors? Because other than Laverne Cox I am really unaware of others.

here's 55

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thank you!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I bet they'll just scrap the movie if they can't get an A List actor looking for an Oscar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gill was a big fat cigar chomping type, so yeah the casting kind of tells you what they were doing there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

Yes this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just fyi, any time that anyone demands a list of minority actors who can play a role that is literally catered to that minority demographic but is instead being played by someone outside that demographic, I sneak into your house and lick your food.

That bagel tasted great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One weird thing I saw with this was people posting "here's some trans men that could do ScarJos role" and they were just a bunch of beefcake trans men they found on google. Thanks there Che, you've really helped out trans actors get parts by doing the bare minimum of effort in helping.

Its like with GitS I kept seeing lists of actors who were just Asian, not Japanese for the role of Major, which is also pretty ignorant, because all Asians are interchangeable aren't they?

Oh and the absolutely stupidest thing are people who say "well, Chris Hemsworth shouldn't be Thor because he's not a real Asgardian, checkmate snowflakes!", yea you really got us.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Casting people is a job. I don't expect random people on twitter to do it in five minutes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is casting a hunky beefcake transman really less realistic than Scarlett Johansson?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fangz posted:

Casting people is a job. I don't expect random people on twitter to do it in five minutes.

sure seems like the casting people expect that

unrelated but twisteds new av reminded me that death of stalin owns

site fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 16, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mycot posted:

Is casting a hunky beefcake transman really less realistic than Scarlett Johansson?

Yes.

Besides, look at the guy:

That's a look. You shouldn't lose that, whoever you choose.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 16, 2018

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I think there is a real likelihood that the complaining and negative publicity will convince producers just not to make movies with trans characters rather than have to deal with casting trans actors.

If this was an established genre with money making actors there would be an easy solution for Hollywood. But until Laverne Cox is leading a-list movies it’s too difficult for most producers to bother.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And until they start putting Laverne Cox in a-list movies that won’t happen.

This is like how no one would make a female led superhero movie because they decided it would already fail.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Are people itt unironically agreeing with Ridley Scott circa Gods of Egypt in a post Black Panther world

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AdmiralViscen posted:

Are people itt unironically agreeing with Ridley Scott circa Gods of Egypt in a post Black Panther world

It took me a while for me to parse this but now that I have: did Ridley Scott seriously say that Egypt had to be full of white people because doing anything else is too hard?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mycot posted:

It took me a while for me to parse this but now that I have: did Ridley Scott seriously say that Egypt had to be full of white people because doing anything else is too hard?

His argument was that it was too hard to get financed or sell to china.

Lazy reasoning from a lazy man.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

mycot posted:

No, he said he couldn't get the movie funded if he had non white people in the lead roles

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He probably wouldn’t have received $140 million without... uh... Game of Thrones guy and... um

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Exodus: Gods and Kings is the Ridley Scott film with Christian Bale, Gods of Egypt is the Alex Proyas film with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, that one had an even higher budget.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Exodus: Gods and Kings is the Ridley Scott film with Christian Bale, Gods of Egypt is the Alex Proyas film with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

I'm so sad it's not Gods of Egypt because having this sort of discussion over Gods of Egypt was so much funnier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mycot posted:

I'm so sad it's not Gods of Egypt because having this sort of discussion over Gods of Egypt was so much funnier.

Didn't both films have the same problem?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gods of Egypt is so loving insane and awesome who was cast for it is the least of my worries. It has Geoffrey Rush as Ra fighting Apep as the sun goes behind the FLAT EARTH and night takes place. It has the gods stand as giants among men and bleed gold. They also transform into their beast forms and fight. Gerard Butler is Set or Anubis and he’s basically taking over other gods and it’s just a visual spectacle that makes no attempt to make any sense.

I went into that movie blind and god drat it was awesome.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Aphrodite posted:

Yes.

Besides, look at the guy:

That's a look. You shouldn't lose that, whoever you choose.

He looks exactly like Melissa McCarthy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Anora posted:

Oh good I’m not the only one who thought so.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bruceski posted:

People were also on edge about Rub & Tug because the main character lived as a man, used male pronouns, and was quite clearly a trans man, but early news about ScarJo's casting used language that sent up some flags about how the movie would be portrayed.

Then ScarJo responded to questions with "who cares it's oscarbait" and burned any chance at goodwill. Trans stories are not Mulan.

Man that's a whole lot of dumb also to a lesser degree

quote:

Scarlett Johansson is reteaming with Rupert Sanders, who directed her in Ghost in the Shell

Yeah, because that team up was a stellar success. Let's get Bonnie and Clyde back together.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bessantj posted:

Let's get Bonnie and Clyde back together.

It's worked before:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I went into that movie blind and god drat it was awesome.

Whoa, do you think it would work on everybody? My grandma's glaucoma has gotten really bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rhyno posted:

Ok I'll list one: my nephew. He's talented and has been in plays at his University before he burned out, but would never make it in Hollywood because there are just zero opportunities for trans actors there at the moment, especially trans men. So instead he lives in Utah and works at a call center.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lobok posted:

Whoa, do you think it would work on everybody? My grandma's glaucoma has gotten really bad.

I had a really bad shoulder ache on Saturday, something had been knocked out of whack and nothing I'd tried all day had helped. Went to see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, after the movie my shoulder was healed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

I was gonna say Lea DeLaria.

Would it be OK for a gay woman to play a trans man?

• Locked thread