Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone know if it would be possible to mod districts to cost a fixed number of turns rather than a fixed (but scaling) amount of production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've got VI uninstalled at the moment so I can't check.

Let's say you want a district to take 5 turns.

You could probably do this with a lua table. Hold the city, district being constructed, and the number 5 in a row. At the start of every turn decrement that number by 1. When that number hits 1, set the production cost of the district to 1.

To have the number of turns show up properly in the production panel, do some math whenever you open the panel that gets the production of the city and multiplies it by the number in your table. Set the district cost to that resulting number.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I missed the bulk of the discussion but: Civ V ruled because it brought upon us the blessing of the hex-grid. Squares are Abominations in the eyes of the Lord and they can go rot in hell. I don't care about 1UPT, I don't care about AI, I don't care cartoony graphics, except whether they are placed in a square or a hex.

Civ VI has hexes too so I guess it's ok.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hexes are just squares with an offset

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
does it matter if 80% of the players in a game don't understand the difference between squares and hexes

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How about instead of hexes Civ VII goes to diamonds?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I prefer squares since 8 adjacent tiles instead of 6. (assuming you can move diagonally, anyway.)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ambaire posted:

I prefer squares since 8 adjacent tiles instead of 6. (assuming you can move diagonally, anyway.)

Its also visually more elegant

gently caress hexes

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

I've got VI uninstalled at the moment so I can't check.

Let's say you want a district to take 5 turns.

You could probably do this with a lua table. Hold the city, district being constructed, and the number 5 in a row. At the start of every turn decrement that number by 1. When that number hits 1, set the production cost of the district to 1.

To have the number of turns show up properly in the production panel, do some math whenever you open the panel that gets the production of the city and multiplies it by the number in your table. Set the district cost to that resulting number.

Nice to know it might be possible. I don't really have the time to tinker with it now, but at some point I'd like to try it and see if I prefer district availability being leveled a bit across cities. Might limit some of the production-god-stat problems with VI.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fhqwhgads posted:

How about instead of hexes Civ VII goes to diamonds?

I think Civ 7 should mix it up and use points on a line.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I think Civ 7 should mix it up and use points on a line.

Civilization VII: Flatland!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Hell, I'd play it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Civilization VII: Flatland!

Pretty sure that technically, all of the Civ games have been Flatland. Would be interesting to see a 3D globe map... would need a rework to an arbitrary distance-based movement system, though. With no tiles at all.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ambaire posted:

Pretty sure that technically, all of the Civ games have been Flatland. Would be interesting to see a 3D globe map... would need a rework to an arbitrary distance-based movement system, though. With no tiles at all.

Movement would be the least of your problems in trying to wean Civ off of tiles. The entire game is built around these little regular packets of land you can capture/develop/exploit.

I think it'd probably be less hassle to stick with tiles and just accept that occasionally one of your hexagons is going to be a pentagon.

Though I don't know what a global map would gain you, really. A greater proportion of tiles in the tropics and the poles are on the map (but remain inaccessible/worthless).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ambaire posted:

SMAC did it pretty well, I thought. Still more of a torus though I suppose

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ambaire posted:

Didn't 4 let you zoom out into a globe or am I thinking of something else

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Pigbuster posted:

Didn't 4 let you zoom out into a globe or am I thinking of something else

It would let you zoom out to reveal a low-res rectangular map stretched onto a sphere, yes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Don Pigeon posted:

It would let you zoom out to reveal a low-res rectangular map stretched onto a sphere, yes.

it was cooler at the time though

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also completely useless for trying to play on, as a globe would be.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

IMHO Civ5 favored Tall over Wide to a ridiculous degree.

One thing Civ6 does right is that it does not overtly penalize the player for being an aggressive land-grabber.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'll grant that V's expansion limitations were artificial and gamey as all hell, but I'd still take them over VI making districts take a ridiculous number of turns for low production cities to build and changing internal trade routes so you can't just ship a decent chunk of production from your core cities to get new ones up to speed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

changing internal trade routes so you can't just ship a decent chunk of production from your core cities to get new ones up to speed.

Could have fooled me :confused:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'll grant that V's expansion limitations were artificial and gamey as all hell, but I'd still take them over VI making districts take a ridiculous number of turns for low production cities to build and changing internal trade routes so you can't just ship a decent chunk of production from your core cities to get new ones up to speed.

One of the big missed opportunities in both 5 and 6 was the ability to build advanced settlers that construct cities which start with improvements already constructed and with more than one population unit.

There's no point building cities in the late game since they'll never contribute enough to your empire to be worth developing. The sole exception is like a uranium camp in Antarctica, but that shouldn't be a city anyway.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mining outposts is what they're called and they're a missed opportunity.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

John F Bennett posted:

Mining outposts is what they're called and they're a missed opportunity.

Didn't 4 have those?

It's been a very long time for me.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
No, those were in Civ 3.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

4 just let you build a fort + road on the lux/strat resource to gain access.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I think the resource still has to be inside your borders?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm a big fan of the golden age bonus that lets new cities on continents other than your home start with 3 extra population. Only downside is you pretty much have to send one or two workers alongside settlers to build farms so you don't immediately starve down to three pop.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a Rise and fall updated wonder adjacency/requirements guide?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Everyone says the AI is bad but I rolled a fractal map, with the default number of civs, and Kongo spawned 5 tiles away and killed me with his free units on turn 6 or 7.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Antares posted:

Everyone says the AI is bad but I rolled a fractal map, with the default number of civs, and Kongo spawned 5 tiles away and killed me with his free units on turn 6 or 7.

Peak AI :hmmyes:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Maya and Inca when

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
But seriously, shouldn't we be hearing about the Summer update sometime soon?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I'd like an update that was nothing but alternative leaders for, like, 12 or so already existing civs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Antares posted:

I played some Civ5 yesterday and on turn 3 I met the Huns. And the terrain between and around us was completely flat.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
thats why I only play Earth TSL Australia :smugdog:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Der Kyhe posted:

IMHO Civ5 favored Tall over Wide to a ridiculous degree.

One thing Civ6 does right is that it does not overtly penalize the player for being an aggressive land-grabber.

Wide is ugly and annoying for me and the fact that 6 almost forces you into it (and tends towards weaker cities with a strong one that gets loads of bonuses) is another reason I wasn't a fan.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also there's still no production queue, which is a real hassle when you have 10+ cities and aren't keeping track of where you're going with each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Wide is ugly and annoying for me and the fact that 6 almost forces you into it (and tends towards weaker cities with a strong one that gets loads of bonuses) is another reason I wasn't a fan.

The tall government building option in Rise & Fall is actually pretty goddamn powerful. Wide is still better but it's balanced way better than 5 in that respect.