Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haniits english voice acting makes me wanna switch to english but drat Cyrus and Tressas english VAs are just way better than the JP ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I just got all the way around to H'aanit, I think she's gonna go into my party. I think my four are going to be Ophelia, Therion, Alfyn, and H'aanit, since I like all of them a lot and they seem to mesh well. Looking forward to messing with subjobs, looking forward to making Ophelia a paladin or thuerge or something.

This is my group exactly, except I started as H'aanit. I gave Ophilia scholar as a sub and all the insane gear I've stumbled upon is caster armor so she heals insanely well and blasts things into elemental oblivion.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i bought this game and it seems p good. thanks goons

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

Wait, what? Is it like this in most jrpgs? I've always assumed it was based on Magic Attack. Where do you look this kind of info up?

Also is there anywhere you can look up info on the buffs and debuffs? Such as how much blind lowers accuracy? And I think it only affects physical attack but would like to make sure.

The tutorial under miscellaneous explains stats, game mechanics and status effects.

Blind only affects physical attacks, yes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i bought this game and it seems p good. thanks goons

you're welcome

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think the thing I like most about this game is that the different path actions make me excited to interact with new NPCs because it's not "just talk to person for random info" but potentially all sorts of different interactions.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally got around to Primrose's intro and just... drat. :stare:

She might be my favorite now just from that alone but on top of it all she's got the random dance and I'm a goddamn sucker for RNG bullshit moves (see also Lucia from Shadow Hearts 2).

I'm going to have a hard time picking from any of these characters to make a party. Which is why I probably won't and will level them all equally.

:negative:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
If you do manage to pick a party you'll be stuck on choices for subclasses anyway :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

One thing I'm incredibly glad of is that you don't have to actually play as a job to invest jp in it for passive skills. You can just spend your pool of jp on whatever you like and that's so good, you guys

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Octopath Traveler - Choose Your Own Decision Paralysis

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got my 5th, Ophelia, and holy poo poo that boss battle was hard--first one that ever killed me due to not knowing what would happen with the "Trial Begins" move the boss does lol. For now I swapped out Cyrus to use Therion/Primrose/H'annit/Ophelia and boy does it up the ante when you 1) don't have the opening Weakness Spy talent or 2) the reliability of 3 all-enemy element attacks on a mage. Without Cyrus I have to rely on foxes that H'annit captures as my only source of Ice damage.

I'm still a little confused on "character interaction" or "skits" or whatever---what exactly do you need to do to see your part talking with each other? Do you have to clear at least one Chapter 2 story? Does it just involve swapping around your people in a tavern randomly after you complete something? Or does anything just happen while in a town?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I think they happen while you're progressing a characters story, if you have the correct party member to trigger it at specific moments of that chapter, from chapter 2 onward

It's the only not great thing in this game so far, but I'll probably just look em up on YouTube after, since they're a pain to hunt for for something so incidental

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So where are subclass shrines. Finishing up my party gathering with Cyrus and that's probably what I should do next.

Also can anyone match Olberic's might when he gets going? Ophellia's chapter 1 boss ate *massive* quantities of poo poo from him using cross slash. He just chunked out 5,000+ goddamn hp from the thing and it died REAL fast.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The shrines are near the chapter 2 locations, you can find them on your radar as an icon with 4 pillars. It's absolutely worth hunting them down before doing ch. 2 imho

Olberic is a god drat wrecking ball

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The 50 atk he gets on his support skill early on is huge.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olberic is a physical attacking beast and its hard pressed to find someone who keeps up. Tressa or Hannit if you cross into Soldier, maybe.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
holy christ therions Chapter 3 boss is a goddamn nightmare. three levels over the listed one and he wiped me in one turn with two horrifically strong aoes.

then i did olberics chapter 3 and stunlocked the boss from 0 to death. i do not understand this games difficulty curve.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Ophelia guiding a troubled young man into a life of crime. What a good priest.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I sub classed Olberic to Hunter it's great. He gets a huge weapon coverage, the chance for a free basic attack passive and he just does so much damage now.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What is Therion's path action steal % success chance based on? Does it scale with level or is it set?

Same question but with the price of goods Tressa can buy

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is there a good guide/list somewhere of good poo poo to steal? I’m aware of the golden axe but not much more

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally got my last party member and at this rate I'm going to just hit 29 on Therion when I finish Ophilia's ch1 stuff. I'm torn between just going right to chapter 2 for Therion and others or exploring more and seeing if I can find the 4 other jobs in the process (assuming they aren't level gated, by bosses or otherwise).

Your Computer posted:

I felt like she was probably the worst character, but now that I have given her scholar as a secondary job she's become a pretty badass librarian :unsmith:

I finally picked her up and have her subbed to scholar as well, while Cyrus is subbed to merchant. Why merchant? Because I managed to walk to granport, and while checking the shops and NPCs I saw a glaive with about 370 ele atk on it and a 3% steal chance... which I successfully stole on my very first try. :getin: Plus merchant's kinda useful on its own, though I still have Tressa in the party because she's still only lvl 17 and needs levels. Cyrus is level 14 and has almost 600 ele atk now with his gear setup and I haven't even given him any +ele atk accessories yet (or a body armor with +ele atk). Dude's a freaking monster. If I went and stole the elemental hat and sage(?) robe from the two NPCs I saw them on I think he'd jump another 100ish ele atk, too. :science:

W.T. Fits posted:

The problem with Ophilia and Primrose is that their Path Action and Talent are linked. You need to use the Path Action (Guide/Allure) in order to be able to use their Talent (Summon) in battle. I feel like it would have been better to have Summoning just be part of the Path Action, and then give them each a separate Talent. Like give Primrose an extra hit on her normal attacks to represent her using her abilities as a dancer to slip in extra strikes under the opponent's guard, and have Ophilia give like some kind of small HP or SP restoring effect that triggers whenever you enter a new screen, similar to Tressa finding money on the ground.

Game is still insanely good either way, though.

Some of the NPCs you can recruit are ridiculously powerful. Like the knight I previously mentioned who uses the triple-hit aoe ice spell and was able to kill 3 level 45 enemies over about half a dozen rounds of combat. When my party was still in the 20s.

IcePhoenix posted:

I have hit major choice paralysis in my party. I need to figure out what cross-classes to do and go get all the shrines after I get the last party member (which I am at).

Housh posted:

Square Enix should be really happy. Hopefully we get a poo poo ton of new JRPGs now.

I hope the game sells a million copies by the end of the month and that SE basically comes out tomorrow and announces "yeah so we have the Octopath team starting on their next game in this series/style/setting/whatever. We'll probably put out a demo next year so you guys can give us feedback on that game too."

Thinking:
Therion - Hunter
Primrose - Scholar
Olberic - Merchant I guess???
Alfyn - Cleric?

That gives me every job but man it does not feel optimal. And I'm not sure what to move around for more coverage. The choice paralysis is real.

Therion works well as a warrior. Thief has SP steal abilities to keep you topped off for warrior skill spamming, or you can give him the accessory that recovers SP after each action and the apothacary's 1% SP recovery on normal attacks and focus on bashing things to death. Just unlocked his last passive and I can see the final skill for the thief job now and... I have to assume with high speed the damage is nuts because 5k SP is a lot to spend on it otherwise and I'll probably build him up on another job or two for better passives instead.

Not sure what my final team setup will be like but it'll likely include a scholar/cleric Cyrus instead of Ophilia because his passive weakness detection is just so convenient, and if I want to pick up an NPC I'll likely have Primrose in the party for her dancer utility (plus whatever job I sub her to, maybe merchant?).

IcePhoenix posted:

That's definitely my first thought but I also want Prim to be nuking people constantly thanks to her passive.

Are cleric heals based on elemental attack or defense? If it's the latter I could make olberic a paladin which would be pretty fun.

Heals based on defense is so gear because you can focus on making a cleric nice and tanky. Toss a Robe of Flame on someone and they'll heal for 1600+ with the apothecary basic heal spell. It's crazy.

Mordiceius posted:

It physically pains me picking four people to roll with.

Also, how good are the items in the purple chests? Or are they mostly disappointing?

I can think of two purple chests off the top of my head that you can run to in high level areas with a decent chance of reaching them without an encounter. One has an elemental glaive and the other has a justice buster (166atk dagger). A level 25 side-dungeon I just went through had a purple chest with a ~140ish atk axe in it. The ruins had a boss too but it kept using overclock every other turn (and I could break it in a single turn because it only had 4 shield counters and everyone in my party could hit the weakness with a weapon) except one turn where it used meteor for 1k damage. The purple chest axe is stronger than the sword that was in the boss's chest.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 16, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drat it, Octopath Traveler, adding "-eth", "-est", and "-en" to the ends of words randomly does not make speech "old-timey", it makes it annoying to read and listen to! The mangled grammar for effect was bad before, but I've just hit H'aanit and it's become painful.

But that's my only complaint about the game so far.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

someone awful. posted:

What is Therion's path action steal % success chance based on? Does it scale with level or is it set?

Same question but with the price of goods Tressa can buy

The chances seem to bump up every 10 levels, or if you gather information and get the easier stealing one it bumps up once more in that region. It looks like it goes 0%, 3, 8, 15, 65, 80, 100. I don't remember seeing one between 15 and 65.

Well now that I think about it I recall once it went up a tier and one thing stayed at 3%, so it isn't all that simple and there's more possibilities than I listed so :iiam:

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 16, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I want to give Primrose Scholar as a subjob, but I have no idea for anyone else. Mostly I wonder who'd make a good Cleric (maybe Alfyn? His magic isn't great but he already has healing and the passives could be good for survivability) or Merchant.

Therion or H'aanit with Warrior seem like they could be really strong. H'aanit would probably be a crit monster and Therion can keep himself topped up with SP while spamming Warrior attacks. Maybe whoever doesn't get Warrior gets Merchant? I dunno.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/toooldforfandom/status/1018639407404933120

I love how she's just this random NPC old lady until you inquire or allure and then she's revealed to be a former assassin.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harlock posted:

It's amazing to fail an 85% steal 4 times in a row

That'll happen a bit over 0.005% of the time.

Hurray?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

Therion works well as a warrior. Thief has SP steal abilities to keep you topped off for warrior skill spamming, or you can give him the accessory that recovers SP after each action and the apothacary's 1% SP recovery on normal attacks and focus on bashing things to death. Just unlocked his last passive and I can see the final skill for the thief job now and... I have to assume with high speed the damage is nuts because 5k SP is a lot to spend on it otherwise and I'll probably build him up on another job or two for better passives instead.

I actually had him as a warrior for a while when I was working towards the hunter shrine and I really liked it but I don't want to double up so I'd have to sub out Olberic for someone else if I went back and I do not want to do that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Heavy Sigh posted:

holy christ therions Chapter 3 boss is a goddamn nightmare. three levels over the listed one and he wiped me in one turn with two horrifically strong aoes.

then i did olberics chapter 3 and stunlocked the boss from 0 to death. i do not understand this games difficulty curve.

Wait until you meet Alfyn's. That the only boss that has killed me and forced me to go find better gear. Honestly, I prefer bosses in this game that have minions with them. They spread some of the damage out so its not so feast or famine with regards to taking and healing damage from one super enemy with multiple turns.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Okay, Primrose's Bewildering Grace is pretty ridiculous early on. I totally didn't expect the highroll effect of a golem rocket punching the entire enemy party for 9999 damage to trigger in a prologue boss fight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tae posted:

The biggest shock I've read today is that Tressa's VA is Sarah Ryder from Mass Effect.

Good god, that director must've been poo poo.

I’m so baffled that Tressa isn’t voiced by Kate Higgins.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

whats a good multiclass for prim?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I have her as a scholar. The dancer passive that regens a percentage of your max sp per turn allows you just just constantly spam spells.

Also it turns her dancer outfit black :discourse:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I have her as a cleric rn and she's my support machine + dark and light magic

But you could very easily make her work with like, scholar or something more offensive I'd think

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

So does Primrose, that's their path action.

Tressa's ability to constantly find $420 money, Therion's purple chests, Cyrus' automatic detection of enemy weaknesses, those are just passive perks that those characters always have and no other character can get. You can subclass a Merchant but you'll never find gold everywhere. You can subclass a thief but you can never open those chests. Only Therion can.

Yeah I think it's dumb that Ophilia's talent is summoning the guided people. That could've just been tied into the path action itself and she could've had a better passive.

That aside I'm loving the game so far. Got my first four starting with Tressa and heading northwest. I like the idea of her as my main character since she just wants to see the world and is picking up all these other weirdos along the way.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I've been finding Summon to be strong enough, so long as you make sure to pick up someone with a good ability, that it has completely earned its place as a combat ability :shrug:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Primrose has the second highest base EATK (First is Cyrus) and the highest base SPD in the game. She's great with /Scholar, /Cleric, or /Thief. I have her as a Sorcerer (straight upgrade over Scholar) now and she cleans up everything as my finisher.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Okay, Primrose's Bewildering Grace is pretty ridiculous early on. I totally didn't expect the highroll effect of a golem rocket punching the entire enemy party for 9999 damage to trigger in a prologue boss fight.

I've been pondering how the speed run of this game is going to go, and God help runners if they don't come up with a manipulation for the rng, because some of the most optimum routes in the game seem like they will rely on things like good steals or 100x XP on a Cait sith jumping you up to level 50.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I was originally planning not to double up any classes so I could get full coverage, but Scholar rules so much that I think I'm going to use both Cyrus (my main) as a Scholar/Cleric and Primrose as a Dancer/Scholar. AoEs for days. Class I won't be using is Apothecary, which feels like the most droppable one since Concoct is exclusive to Alfyn anyways and they don't have a multihit axe skill so basic attacks are the best you can do for Axe armor breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

At least last stand is aoe