Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basebf555 posted:

I posted about Small Town Crime a while back when it was first on Netflix.

It's not bad, but I had a hard time with the way some of the violence was presented. In particular there's one bit towards the end that just seemed totally unnecessary and gross. As if the director wanted to be the Coen Bros but the violence in Coen Bros films are always at least related to the plot. There was no reason why the movie needed a scene where a guys entire jaw is dangling off his face in ragged pieces before the main character strolls up and executes him. There was absolutely nothing about that which moved the plot forward or furthered the movie's themes in any way.

Okay. I just watched the movie, it was fun enough. Nothing too memorable but fun. The scene you're talking about - I'd probably be screaming the same thing if I didn't know it was coming... so when I saw it, I was all, "yeah well that's just to show you that crime doesn't pay and it's bad mmkay." But no - I'll agree with you - wasn't necessary to sell the movie or the scene... kind of like gratuitous boobies.

Thanks for the rec. It was a good afternoon to waste on a bard boiled crime thriller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

magnificent7 posted:

Okay. I just watched the movie, it was fun enough. Nothing too memorable but fun. The scene you're talking about - I'd probably be screaming the same thing if I didn't know it was coming... so when I saw it, I was all, "yeah well that's just to show you that crime doesn't pay and it's bad mmkay." But no - I'll agree with you - wasn't necessary to sell the movie or the scene... kind of like gratuitous boobies.

Thanks for the rec. It was a good afternoon to waste on a bard boiled crime thriller.

Agreed that it was fun but not really memorable. I'll watch anything with Clifton Collins Jr or John Hawkes ; those dudes are just so good.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a great movie with an all-star cast having fun. What's not to love. The sequence where the blind dude recreates where he went while kidnapped using what he heard was awesome.

my voice is my passport.

I’m a complete sucker for the “ragtag team of underdogs going against the odds” trope like A-Team, Leverage, Burn Notice, etc. Anybody got any recommendations to anything similar to those?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

volts5000 posted:

I’m a complete sucker for the “ragtag team of underdogs going against the odds” trope like A-Team, Leverage, Burn Notice, etc. Anybody got any recommendations to anything similar to those?

It's a bit darker than Leverage, but have you seen Person of Interest?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a bit darker than Leverage, but have you seen Person of Interest?

Couldn’t quite get into that when it first came out. Maybe I should give it another try.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

volts5000 posted:

Couldn’t quite get into that when it first came out. Maybe I should give it another try.

It's a fairly straightforward (if endearing) procedural for three seasons and then becomes something much more unique. I don't blame you if waiting three seasons for it to "get good" is unpalatable, but on the other hand, I liked both parts.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Joe Bob Briggs marathon on Shudder tonight. Monstervision and USA Up All Night basically defined my taste in movies.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a fairly straightforward (if endearing) procedural for three seasons and then becomes something much more unique. I don't blame you if waiting three seasons for it to "get good" is unpalatable, but on the other hand, I liked both parts.

I watched season 1, can I just skip to season 4?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

red19fire posted:

I watched season 1, can I just skip to season 4?

At minimum, there are going to be a couple of characters you either don't recognize at all or whose allegiances have shifted significantly, and you'll have no idea where the main antagonist / conceit came from.

Watching it from season 3 might work better, now that I think of it.

The main takeway from Season 2 is the CIA assassin and the sociopathic hacker girl more or less reform themselves and join the crew, and the Machine itself is intelligent

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 14, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How's the Forest Whittaker post-apoc movie?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

People are calling it "boring" but I really, really liked it.

The Netflix Original you want to avoid for being boring and lame is Pandorum. I should have known when it said "starring Dennis Quaid" but I like scary spaceship movies and hooooooooo boy is it a stinker.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

I just finished watching it. It's boring. The ending is really bad. The acting feels phoned in. Nothing is explained or resolved satisfactorily.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

The Netflix Original you want to avoid for being boring and lame is Pandorum. I should have known when it said "starring Dennis Quaid" but I like scary spaceship movies and hooooooooo boy is it a stinker.

Pandorum isn't a Netflix Original, the hell? I remember when it was in theaters (because I kinda wanted to see it and didn't get a chance).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, Pandorum is a theatrical movie from like a decade ago.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
beaten on Pandorum's release in theaters but I'll say I went to see it solely because of Ben Foster. Been a fan of that dude since Alpha Dog

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Speaking of Dennis Quaid, has anyone else watched Fortitude on Prime? When I finished Tin Star, it popped up to play next and I just thought it was going to be a procedural in a remote town. It was a bit slow to start, but once it got going, season one was good. Then, there was a time jump between seasons which seemed odd when they had to go back and explain missing characters, etc. I thought the second season was a little weaker (maybe Dennis Quaid's fault?) , but still good overall and can't wait to see where they take season 3. I hope Sheriff Anderssen doesn't hurt Petra after the last episode.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mammal Sauce posted:

Speaking of Dennis Quaid, has anyone else watched Fortitude on Prime? When I finished Tin Star, it popped up to play next and I just thought it was going to be a procedural in a remote town. It was a bit slow to start, but once it got going, season one was good. Then, there was a time jump between seasons which seemed odd when they had to go back and explain missing characters, etc. I thought the second season was a little weaker (maybe Dennis Quaid's fault?) , but still good overall and can't wait to see where they take season 3. I hope Sheriff Anderssen doesn't hurt Petra after the last episode.

One of the few shows that got dumber every episode starting with a real great episode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

People are calling it "boring" but I really, really liked it

Yeah I dug it too. I thought the last 20 minutes had some real issues but overall I still thought it was good.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

precision posted:

This post somehow made across from opposite world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay, Pandorum being a decade old explains a lot and kinda makes me retroactively like it more

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I mostly know Ben Foster from 3:10 to Yuma, but I can't recall of him lately.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Lycus posted:

He's outstanding in Alpha Dog and Hell or High Water (both worth a watch).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm rewatching Dark just for the hell of it and find wishing they told us more about Michael. Like what was his and Jonas's relationship like, and did he try to be close with the Nielsen family or deliberately avoid them?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lycus posted:

He will always be Russel, Claire’s artsy boyfriend in Six Feet Under. That said Hell or High Water is great.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

He will always be Russel, Claire’s artsy boyfriend in Six Feet Under. That said Hell or High Water is great.

He'll always be Tucker from Flash Forward to me, best friend to Jewel Staites Becca.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The subtitles on Netflix for Interview with a Vampire are out of sync

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

He's a fantastic actor, like Philip Seymour Hoffman, who knows when he's in a garbage movie and transcends the bad movie by chewing up the scenery around everyone else. He has bit parts in the Tom Jane Punisher and 30 Days of Night that are just fantastically stupid and fun.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Ben Foster's been memorable since Freaks and Geeks.

I also watched Patriot on recommendation of this thread and ended up liking it. I didn't think I was going to after the first episode, switching between different times is lazy storytelling and nationalism is annoying and shallow, but I still liked it. Sometimes it's a little ... I dunno the right word - zany? but all in all, pretty enjoyable and charming. I really liked his co-worker friend/ally who turned into an amazing, well developed character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

One of the things I didn't notice about Dark the first time is even though Middle-aged Jonas is the main red herring for the kidnappings, he and Middle-aged Helge actually have obviously different jackets.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I also watched Patriot on recommendation of this thread and ended up liking it. I didn't think I was going to after the first episode, switching between different times is lazy storytelling and nationalism is annoying and shallow, but I still liked it. Sometimes it's a little ... I dunno the right word - zany? but all in all, pretty enjoyable and charming. I really liked his co-worker friend/ally who turned into an amazing, well developed character.

Patriot is a comedy in the sense where almost everything that amounted to support completely and utterly failed him. The same way I enjoyed Venture Brothers because it was all about the johnny quest aesthetic, but it revolved around someone pretending to be a doctor, and is generally a failure.

The rock paper scissors scene later on was one of the best scenes I've seen in a while, it was extremely tense.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

red19fire posted:

He's a fantastic actor, like Philip Seymour Hoffman, who knows when he's in a garbage movie and transcends the bad movie by chewing up the scenery around everyone else. He has bit parts in the Tom Jane Punisher and 30 Days of Night that are just fantastically stupid and fun.

He was this way in the remake of The Mechanic, too, it's a remake of a lovely Charles Bronson flick but Foster brings his A game

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Justice League: Dark was awesome. If you like badass wizard battles, it has one of the coolest ones I've seen, to the point where it was more fun than the actual climax, which was also pretty good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

drunken officeparty posted:

I’m able to be slowly getting through Vietnam, 15-20 minutes at a time before bed because there are actual people still alive to interview and there’s real footage of the war even in color! The Civil War one on the other hand should be outlawed by the geneva convention as a weapon of intentional cruelty.

You have to admit though that the one shot where a camera slowly pans over of a bunch of letters and photos as a narrator reads a letter is pretty legit.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Hulu added The First 48. It's a terrible show that frequently leads to innocent people's lives being ruined but I can't stop watching.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

17 seasons, hatchi matchi!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

veni veni veni posted:

17 seasons, hatchi matchi!

Shows like that are why people think the US is getting more dangerous while crime actually goes down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, I watched Jurassic Park again for the first time in a decade or so, after the discussion earlier and I really do agree it's a nearly perfect movie. It really kind of made me think about why I can't stand drat near every modern blockbuster. The whole thing has zero fat on it. Every scene pushes the story forward and usually builds up to something epic. Jurassic world was so boring and aimless by comparison.

I also watched The Lost World and it's not the best movie but I still think it blows JW out of the water. Imho it's pretty good up until the end which was fun, but really poorly executed. It's not great compared to the original though which is drat near flawless.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Yellow Submarine is now on Amazon Prime and it's fantastic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

veni veni veni posted:

So, I watched Jurassic Park again for the first time in a decade or so, after the discussion earlier and I really do agree it's a nearly perfect movie. It really kind of made me think about why I can't stand drat near every modern blockbuster. The whole thing has zero fat on it. Every scene pushes the story forward and usually builds up to something epic. Jurassic world was so boring and aimless by comparison.

I also watched The Lost World and it's not the best movie but I still think it blows JW out of the water. Imho it's pretty good up until the end which was fun, but really poorly executed. It's not great compared to the original though which is drat near flawless.

I just watched Fallen Kingdom yesterday and it was awful, but the next film in the series could be amazing with that setup. It will still probably be dog poo poo, but the small chance is there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

but the small chance is there...

Not with Trevorrow writing and directing.