Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is it unethical for a lawyer who knows his client is innocent to allow the client to plead guilty and, in doing so, be placed under oath and participate in a plea colloquy wherein he professes guilt? Isn’t that perjury?

Lol

I think the Alford plea exists to avoid this situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can a DA refuse to accept an Alford plea?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
My understanding is Alford pleas are allowed on a state by state basis but I have no idea how prevalent it is or if you can do it in federal court.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I've never met this alford dude but it sounds like he fucks

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

They should probably look into it. They would probably just stop taking payment until they feel they are ethically safe (no one cries tears for lawyers that don’t get paid)

For as many jokes as there are about unethical lawyers, the profession as a whole has more ethical requirements then most

It's more that lawyers lack any internal moral compass, so they make up a bunch of rules to follow so it seems like they do to the untrained eye.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just finished reading the Theranos book and had a question about non-disclosure agreements.

Theranos made everyone who worked there sign one when they started and when they quit, and threatened to sue people who talked to reporters about the shady poo poo they were doing. Subsequent to the newspaper stories the two top executives were charged by the SEC (with defrauding investors I think) and are under criminal investigation right now.

So what happens if you sign an NDA that covers your knowledge of (potentially) criminal conduct and you try to disclose that? When the former employees were talking to reporters, there weren’t any charges so there was no official indication that it was anything abnormal. Do you have to let them sue you and then prove in court that what you were disclosing actually was bad?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
NDAs have to be enforced by a court, and they’re already pretty had to enforce. Unlikely a court would punish someone for disclosing the type of fraud Theranos was involved in

But yea you gotta wait for them to sue you and then fight back. The most effective part of an NDA is just the threat of litigation

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Literally every sane* jurisdiction on Earth will have some form of public policy exemption that invalidates any contract (NDA or otherwise) that covers criminal behaviour (may not cover all US states).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alchenar posted:

Literally every sane* jurisdiction on Earth will have some form of public policy exemption that invalidates any contract (NDA or otherwise) that covers criminal behaviour (may not cover all US states).

How does that work? You report criminal behaviour in defiance of the NDA and hope that the court finds them guilty? What happens if they decide it’s not criminal after all?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Subjunctive posted:

How does that work? You report criminal behaviour in defiance of the NDA and hope that the court finds them guilty? What happens if they decide it’s not criminal after all?

Any criminal activity (whether or not someone is charged or found guilty) as a part of a contract makes it unenforceable in court. Just like you can't successfully sue someone because they didn't perform your murder-for-hire contract with them, you can't sue someone to enforce an NDA that requires they stay silent about said murder-for-hire contract.

A lot of NDAs are actually unenforceable anywhere in the USA. However, to get to that end result, you will have to violate the NDA, get sued, and win. You will not be able to recover attorney fees in all jurisdictions, so the costs of litigation are typically enough to make an unenforceable NDA have teeth.

If you're reporting legit criminal activity to authorities, you'll be covered under whistleblowing statutes that would invalidate the NDA without the extensive court process. You'll still likely have some attorney fees to deal with even in this scenario.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
say that, hypothetically speaking, I'm an american billionaire and, while in america, I use twitter to libel a british guy who lives in thailand. where could he sue me? if more than one place, would he have to choose one or could he do multiple places at once?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you're reporting legit criminal activity to authorities, you'll be covered under whistleblowing statutes that would invalidate the NDA without the extensive court process. You'll still likely have some attorney fees to deal with even in this scenario.

I guess that’s my question though: how do you know if it’s “legit criminal activity” at the time, given how unpredictable court outcomes can be?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

say that, hypothetically speaking, I'm an american billionaire and, while in america, I use twitter to libel a british guy who lives in thailand. where could he sue me? if more than one place, would he have to choose one or could he do multiple places at once?

The best place to probably sue if he wanted an enforceable judgement would be a federal district court in a district where Musk resides. In order to enforce a foreign libel judgement (if he were to sue in Thailand, for example) would be to either show that he was guilty of libel in the USA or that Thailand provides as much first amendment protection as the USA, so he'd have to prove the case twice regardless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Subjunctive posted:

I guess that’s my question though: how do you know if it’s “legit criminal activity” at the time, given how unpredictable court outcomes can be?

Just because someone isn't found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred does not negate the fact that the crime occurred. They're not going to be held to a criminal standard, anyways, in a civil court when they sue for enforcement of an NDA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're not going to be held to a criminal standard, anyways, in a civil court when they sue for enforcement of an NDA.

So more like “a reasonable person would conclude”, then. I wonder if I’d be willing to rely on that if I were going up against Lockheed or Citibank or such.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Subjunctive posted:

So more like “a reasonable person would conclude”, then. I wonder if I’d be willing to rely on that if I were going up against Lockheed or Citibank or such.

It'll vary state by state. Lockheed and Ctitibank most likely have legitimate NDAs that conform to the state's restrictions. Florida has quite a few NDA restrictions by statute, for example, and you can bet that any legitimate corporate legal team will have their NDAs structured accordingly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Subjunctive posted:

Yea that’s basically how NDAs work. Is whatever you think you should report worth the $50-100k (and potentially undercoverable if you win) attorneys fees?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Wherever Musk’s dumbass lives would be the best bet

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
how do I sue Elon when he moves to Mars

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
You get Captain Murphy to institute Martian Law.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i was thinking about this last night in the SPAM, what sort of law exists around use of trademarks and their homophones? I know this is a broad question, so by example:

some boring C-list celebs are making money from a podcast called The West Wing Weekly. Would fair use extend to a satirical treatment of said podcast's title, applied to a new podcast addressing a similar set of content called The West Wing, Weakly? You're theoretically priming/confusing the consumer because there's no difference in pronunciation, only in spelling. asking for a friend myself.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I cannot believe you think Jeremy Malina is a third rate star!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i was thinking about this last night in the SPAM, what sort of law exists around use of trademarks and their homophones? I know this is a broad question, so by example:

some boring C-list celebs are making money from a podcast called The West Wing Weekly. Would fair use extend to a satirical treatment of said podcast's title, applied to a new podcast addressing a similar set of content called The West Wing, Weakly? You're theoretically priming/confusing the consumer because there's no difference in pronunciation, only in spelling. asking for a friend myself.

Step 1) is that actually trademarked

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Elon Musk said "Sorry pedo guy" on twitter, referring implicitly to a British national who was living in Thailand. Presumably Musk was in California at the time of the tweet. The British guy is considering suing him for defamation. What court has jurisdiction over that? Would the tweet actually run afoul of slander laws in the US?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sleepy gary posted:

Elon Musk said "Sorry pedo guy" on twitter, referring implicitly to a British national who was living in Thailand. Presumably Musk was in California at the time of the tweet. The British guy is considering suing him for defamation. What court has jurisdiction over that? Would the tweet actually run afoul of slander laws in the US?

We talked about this a bit earlier in the thread, but to answer your question: US federal court (a district in which elon lives is probably best), UK court, and potentially Thailand court.

For the second question, it would probably run against all states defamation laws. Musk is probably going to settle quickly over this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Settle ? What are the damages.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

Settle ? What are the damages.

I don't know all the states' various defamation laws, but in Florida Elon's statement would be defamation per se and damages available are actual, compensatory, and punitive. Florida has cases on point even about just insinuating someone is a pedo, let alone flat out declaring it as Elon did. A florida jury gave Hulk Hogan $140 million against gawker and all they really did was say he had a thermos sized penis despite years of steroid abuse.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 16, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elon probably has more Twitter followers than Gawker had readers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
When the hell are people going to learn to stay the gently caress off of Twitter

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

When the hell are people going to learn to stay the gently caress off of Twitter

If they could they already would have

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The case against Elon here is basically open and shut. Even if you take the most stringent standard (the diver is a public figure because of his involvement with the rescue) in American law (the most stringent jurisdiction) Elon pretty clearly and facially acted with actual malice.

Not to derail, but it’s also not a close match with the Hogan case. Now, Gawker, I still think they would have won handily on appeal if they could have afforded the bond that Florida requires to appeal.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what, exactly, is the legal requirement for treason and is 'i'm just an old racist pervert' a defense against those requirements

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
well that's frickin vague!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is very rare anyone is ever convicted of it. Do keep in mind there are lots of federal laws that criminalize behavior which seems like treason but outside the constitutional definition.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Besides the obvious BAPCPA answer - is there really no place on the bankruptcy means test to consider student loans?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is donald Trump has lighting us when he says collusion isn't against the law?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

That's just lying, the repubes are the ones doing the gas lighting

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah he's basically gaslighting but more precisely he's making a purely technical point not a substantive one.

Technically the criminal trigger is the word "conspiracy," not "collusion," but those are synonyms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8c00_story.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Besides the obvious BAPCPA answer - is there really no place on the bankruptcy means test to consider student loans?

As part of nonconsumer debt.
https://www.abi.org/feed-item/student-loan-for-professional-degree-not-consumer-debt-for-purposes-of-707b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

euphronius posted:

It is very rare anyone is ever convicted of it. Do keep in mind there are lots of federal laws that criminalize behavior which seems like treason but outside the constitutional definition.

To add to this a bit, it's an intentional constitutional feature, and why it's defined in the constitution. The founders were afraid (probably rightly) about governmental abuse of treason laws to quash internal dissent and speech.