Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The prose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

porfiria posted:

He's saying you should judge works by their prose, not their content.
PetraCore claims to be a female on her profile page.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I’m a plebeian and I loved Baudolino

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not even being snide but I have no idea what you are trying to say here

He's saying a book having aliens in it doesn't automatically reduce its quality.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

petracore is a girl you pack of hollering goons

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ccs posted:

He's saying a book having aliens in it doesn't automatically reduce its quality.

I don't think anyone asserted it does

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Riiight, but there's been assertions that you can tell a book is bad if it has dragons and space ships in it or whatever.

I don't care if someone mocks genre fiction. I like seeing stuff picked apart. I think it's dumb to go 'the bad part of science fiction and fantasy is the fact that it's science fiction or fantasy', since how that's categorized basically comes down to 'is there magic? is there speculative technology?'

It's good for books to be written well. It's good for books to have depth. Characters should be characters and not just cutouts to push the spectacle along. I really like this thread and I've said so before so idk why BotL is suddenly being hostile to me?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hah, so you think Kurt Vonnegut is a great author.
Duh. Not everything he wrote is great, but he wrote great books, multiple.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

This is the post I was more responding to, for what it's worth. I don't have an argument with Mel, I'm not even arguing the accidental granny-banging thing is not exactly promising. I was just pointing out that accidental mom-banging as a classical tragedy is a thing, so that taking out an absurd detail and going 'haha look at this poo poo' isn't exactly criticism.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think anyone asserted it does

On page 26 of this thread someone said that critics are wasting their time with any books involving "spaceships and laserguns."

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

PetraCore posted:

I'm not even arguing the accidental granny-banging thing is not exactly promising. I was just pointing out that accidental mom-banging as a classical tragedy is a thing, so that taking out an absurd detail and going 'haha look at this poo poo' isn't exactly criticism.
this is a good point tbh and i guess i'm being unfair in immediately writing off an sf/f work written by a man due to the presence of questionable sex stuff, even if my opinion is based on having read a hell of a lot of questionable sf/f sex stuff written by a hell of a lot of men in my short and solitary life

honestly my main prejudice is against this forum and the posters thereon, which includes me

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

avshalemon posted:

this is a good point tbh and i guess i'm being unfair in immediately writing off an sf/f work written by a man due to the presence of questionable sex stuff, even if my opinion is based on having read a hell of a lot of questionable sf/f sex stuff written by a hell of a lot of men in my short and solitary life

honestly my main prejudice is against this forum and the posters thereon, which includes me
Naw man I write off a lot of sf/f work written by a man that includes weird sex poo poo. Maybe sometimes it's going to be written well and make a good point and be like, real tragic or philosophical and stuff but usually it's just jerking off and I don't have time for that.

'What if the green skinned sex slave girls were actually the slavers because irresistable pheromones' gently caress offffff.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

PetraCore posted:

Naw man I write off a lot of sf/f work written by a man that includes weird sex poo poo. Maybe sometimes it's going to be written well and make a good point and be like, real tragic or philosophical and stuff but usually it's just jerking off and I don't have time for that.

'What if the green skinned sex slave girls were actually the slavers because irresistable pheromones' gently caress offffff.

As you should. Genre fiction gets away with a lot of creepy, weird poo poo because:

* Genre fans have appalling taste, having barely read outside their genre
* It gets excused because it's genre, "Oh sure, it had a lot of rape and misogyny, but the ideas were interesting"
* I feel there's something like the Geek Social Fallacies going on, where fans think they can't veto the taste of other fans: "Lots of people like it but I'm just not into that whole dragon-loving elf libertarian genre".

I once solicited recommendations for crime fiction from a hardcore fan of the genre, and the results were the most ridiculously stupid things I've ever read: full of genius serial killers with exotic MOs, angsty cops that live off cigarettes and coffee, set in weird and illogical locations just for the sake of the location.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Coming from an uneducated genre-fan all of Eco's books are wonderful.

While i think the criticism is not without merit, content tolerance varies a lot, and serious works can have as much wtf, objectionable content as genre. I think the difference is not so great in this, except perhaps in the framing of said content, it can be awful indeed in genre fandom

Also for all the mocking of genre in the thread, the lamp's reviews are what grabs my attention. They make me think about what i read in different ways and give a second chance to books i would not approach before.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
and lo the great martyr is once again struck down

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

nonathlon posted:

I once solicited recommendations for crime fiction from a hardcore fan of the genre, and the results were the most ridiculously stupid things I've ever read: full of genius serial killers with exotic MOs, angsty cops that live off cigarettes and coffee, set in weird and illogical locations just for the sake of the location.

I mean this happens in music and film too. As you enjoy something more and more the generic no longer satisfies and you often look towards the more experimental, the more weird, and you excuse the lack of polish or perhaps even praise it due to the unique feel it gives the work.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I like genre fiction and also literary fiction and especially Baudolino but what I really like is BotL analyses, gimme more

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've not read any Eco but a lot of my favorite authors cite him as their major inspiration, such as Rhys Hughes. http://rhyshughes.blogspot.com/

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I mean this happens in music and film too. As you enjoy something more and more the generic no longer satisfies and you often look towards the more experimental, the more weird, and you excuse the lack of polish or perhaps even praise it due to the unique feel it gives the work.

"It wasn't well executed but at least it was different." And what happens sometimes if you're lucky is that someone with more talent or prowess scoops that badly executed idea up and uses it as inspiration for something much better.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

I've not read any Eco but a lot of my favorite authors cite him as their major inspiration, such as Rhys Hughes. http://rhyshughes.blogspot.com/

"I am a writer of Fantasy and Magic Realism who often uses comedy and absurdism to examine philosophical issues. I am known for my original ideas, intricate plots and entertaining wordplay! I write short stories, novellas and novels. To a lesser extent I write poetry and non-fiction. I sometimes say that writing is the only thing I'm good at. I try to make that sound like a joke, but I don't think it is... I really am mediocre at most things, but my passion for writing keeps growing stronger!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

"I am a writer of Fantasy and Magic Realism who often uses comedy and absurdism to examine philosophical issues. I am known for my original ideas, intricate plots and entertaining wordplay! I write short stories, novellas and novels. To a lesser extent I write poetry and non-fiction. I sometimes say that writing is the only thing I'm good at. I try to make that sound like a joke, but I don't think it is... I really am mediocre at most things, but my passion for writing keeps growing stronger!"

I envy people who are capable of wholly uncritical self celebration

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That thing is every author bio on every vanity press's site.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You sure quoted his author bio there.

I think his work is great. What would you expect out of an author bio? "I suck, but please still read my work?"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

What would you expect out of an author bio? "I suck, but please still read my work?"

If the only person you can find to write positively about you is yourself, that should be reason for pause

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

for example

quote:

I am known for my original ideas, intricate plots and entertaining wordplay!

If this were true, he would not have to say so himself

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So his author bio should be quotes of other people saying how he is good? Isn't that what blurbs are for, not author bios?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

So his author bio should be quotes of other people saying how he is good? Isn't that what blurbs are for, not author bios?

most author bios, even when self-written, at least have the sense to not use the first person

edit: they also tend to be wholly informative and not laudatory

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My author bio is a drunkenly typed rant where i emphasize that I have nothing against a minority, but must nevertheless share some strong opinions that are commonly held but rarely spoken. The number of typos increases steadily, however, and you sigh in relief as the text becomes illegible. You have been spared.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My author bio is a drunkenly typed rant where i emphasize that I have nothing against a minority, but must nevertheless share some strong opinions that are commonly held but rarely spoken. The number of typos increases steadily, however, and you sigh in relief as the text becomes illegible. You have been spared.

Lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ccs posted:

You sure quoted his author bio there.

I think his work is great. What would you expect out of an author bio? "I suck, but please still read my work?"
A smidge less self-congratulation for being a real good writer, perhaps? Especially when he's only half a step removed from actually being on a vanity press.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Salesmanship is the most important talent an author can have.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Who reads author bios lmao

Read the story they wrote instead

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Rhys Hughes Dot Blogspot Dot Com posted:

In fact it is available as two ebooks, because it comes in two different editions, male and female, that differ in 10% of their contents. This is a trick that I picked up from Milorad Pavić, whose Dictionary of the Khazars also comes in male and female editions.

People keep asking me how I selected the variant stories for the two editions. The fact of the matter is that there is no rhyme or reason to the selection. I am not trying to make a point about differing male and female tastes in fiction. Quite the contrary! The differences are surely there but also insignificant.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This guy rules.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
we shouldnt make fun of this guy who says hes only good at one thing and isnt actually good at that thing, its giving me depression

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

what's different in the female and male versions, do the boy books have more bazongas

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If you want you can read some of his stories here: http://platinumass.blogspot.com/

If you want to try out one of his books I recommend this one: http://www.tartaruspress.com/hughes-the-smell-of-telescopes.html

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this guy who seems incapable of not writing in the sincere gbs voice is surely a good writer

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

quote:

The Smell of Telescopes

by

Rhys Hughes

If Hieronymus Bosch had, after imbibing ten pints of lager and a dodgy vindaloo,

pass

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ccs posted:

If you want you can read some of his stories here: http://platinumass.blogspot.com/

Rhys Hughes posted:

She was a dame. She talked like a dame, moved like a dame, smelled like a dame, breathed like a dame, slept like a dame, yawned like a dame, coughed like a dame, dusted like a dame, cooked like a dame, had the metabolism of a dame, knew about as much astrophysics as a dame would, had a selection of hats typical of a dame. She was a dame.
No doubt about it. A dame through and through. Her hips were as wide and curvy as a concert piano and her feet were like pedals, so if you stood on one while she was talking her voice would become a swelling overlapping echo and if you stood on the other her voice would be muted and soft. But no man could play her well. She was out of tune.

extremely hard pass my dude

e:

Rhys Hughes posted:

“Do I look like an Englishman and Scotsman and Irishman? Of course it’s no joke. You are under arrest.”
“I’m going to kill ya with my heater!”
He gets out of the pool and plugs a portable electric heater into a socket on the wall, taking care not to drip on the wires, and waits for the filaments to start glowing. But he is far too slow. The policeman in my moustache instantly reveals himself and blasts him with a truncheon that is actually a mini-bazooka and I watch him burst like applause.
A round of. Very satisfying.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool, different tastes. Better to dislike an author's work based on his writing than his author bio.