Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Okay, Primrose's Bewildering Grace is pretty ridiculous early on. I totally didn't expect the highroll effect of a golem rocket punching the entire enemy party for 9999 damage to trigger in a prologue boss fight.

Wait until you get a x100 JP and maxxx out your passives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Xalidur posted:

I was originally planning not to double up any classes so I could get full coverage, but Scholar rules so much that I think I'm going to use both Cyrus (my main) as a Scholar/Cleric and Primrose as a Dancer/Scholar. AoEs for days. Class I won't be using is Apothecary, which feels like the most droppable one since Concoct is exclusive to Alfyn anyways and they don't have a multihit axe skill so basic attacks are the best you can do for Axe armor breaking.

Amputation hits incredibly hard and Last Stand is insane especially with everyone's favorite Golden Axe. The Warmaster's axe skill barely hits harder than Last Stand for comparison. Empoison is a reliable source of poison and poison damage is a boss killer since it scales with their max HP. The later bosses get multiple turns in a row so poison gets a lot of ticks. You are going to want Rehabilitate's immunity buff too for some of the later bosses.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

Wait until you meet Alfyn's. That the only boss that has killed me and forced me to go find better gear. Honestly, I prefer bosses in this game that have minions with them. They spread some of the damage out so its not so feast or famine with regards to taking and healing damage from one super enemy with multiple turns.

I beat Alfyn's before that. He was hard, but blind took a huge chunk out of his damage and incite+guard boost handled the rest. but you cant guard your way through 2x aoes wiping your whole team plus loving Guard Stance locking his weakness to Staff.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Xalidur posted:

I was originally planning not to double up any classes so I could get full coverage, but Scholar rules so much that I think I'm going to use both Cyrus (my main) as a Scholar/Cleric and Primrose as a Dancer/Scholar. AoEs for days. Class I won't be using is Apothecary, which feels like the most droppable one since Concoct is exclusive to Alfyn anyways and they don't have a multihit axe skill so basic attacks are the best you can do for Axe armor breaking.

Last Stand is an AoE axe skill. I've used it with the Golden Axe which was extremely clutch early game.

I've also gotten to such a high level that I was able to best the man guarding the person that gives you Thieving Tips and Tricks for Grandport. Well worth getting that one because the steal rates suddently went from utterly miserable to guaranteed on absolutely everyone, which is a good thing because Grandport charges you 100000 leaves if you fail five times.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nep-Nep posted:

I think the thing I like most about this game is that the different path actions make me excited to interact with new NPCs because it's not "just talk to person for random info" but potentially all sorts of different interactions.

Beyond that, it makes me feel the obsessive need to interact with every NPC.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love it when I find a child who has candy in their inventory, because it means I can steal the candy from them.

I don't need the candy. I don't even know how much HP a candy heals, because I've never used any of the candy I've stolen so far. I just want the NPCs not to have it any more.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Amputation hits incredibly hard and Last Stand is insane especially with everyone's favorite Golden Axe. The Warmaster's axe skill barely hits harder than Last Stand for comparison. Empoison is a reliable source of poison and poison damage is a boss killer since it scales with their max HP. The later bosses get multiple turns in a row so poison gets a lot of ticks. You are going to want Rehabilitate's immunity buff too for some of the later bosses.

Can you boost Rehabilitate to increase the buff's duration?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I like all the characters and I love the path action options on quests and the weird synergy of stealing and investigation to get an npc's backstory.

Bongo Bill posted:

I love it when I find a child who has candy in their inventory, because it means I can steal the candy from them.

I don't need the candy. I don't even know how much HP a candy heals, because I've never used any of the candy I've stolen so far. I just want the NPCs not to have it any more.

:yeah:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I was thinking about making Primrose a scholar, because she's got that SP recover and she'd just be a complete fountain of spells. Or maybe alchemist, because then she'd put on some clothes.

I have no idea what to multiclass H'aanit into, mostly because she's so drat powerful. If she gets any stronger I think my cart will eject itself from the switch and walk out the front door.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Xalidur posted:

Can you boost Rehabilitate to increase the buff's duration?

Yep up to 6 turns at max BP.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So hey, do H'aanit's summons scale off her own stats, or do they have stats of their own like Ophilia's and Primrose's?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kobogartimer posted:

The chances seem to bump up every 10 levels, or if you gather information and get the easier stealing one it bumps up once more in that region. It looks like it goes 0%, 3, 8, 15, 65, 80, 100. I don't remember seeing one between 15 and 65.

Well now that I think about it I recall once it went up a tier and one thing stayed at 3%, so it isn't all that simple and there's more possibilities than I listed so :iiam:

There's a 55% steal chance as well. It seems like it goes up differently for different items, starting at 3% except for the unstealable stuff like the Forbidden gear.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Cast Bewildering Grace near the end of a boss fight and a monster appeared and healed the boss to full health.

This game rules.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

So hey, do H'aanit's summons scale off her own stats, or do they have stats of their own like Ophilia's and Primrose's?

Linde scales with H'aanit's level while the rest are just based on their Strength pips.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

everyone talking about how Bewildering Grace is good but I'm over here getting nothing but blinding mists and "the earth blows up at your feet" lol. Though I did just get my first subclass and saddled Prim with Scholar.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

everyone talking about how Bewildering Grace is good but I'm over here getting nothing but blinding mists and "the earth blows up at your feet" lol. Though I did just get my first subclass and saddled Prim with Scholar.

That happened to me for a while (see one of my previous posts) but it's been regressing for me so it's good again. The real fun way to do it is to only use it when you can commit three BP to it so you get four effects at once (this can kill you with the right combination of results).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

That happened to me for a while (see one of my previous posts) but it's been regressing for me so it's good again. The real fun way to do it is to only use it when you can commit three BP to it so you get four effects at once (this can kill you with the right combination of results).

Ooh, for some reason I didn't think about using BP with it. I ended up wasting a lot of SP items abusing that dance fighting a boss.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm sitting here listening to H'aanit giving her "circle of life" sermon after killing the boss of her first chapter, and I like to imagine Primrose, Cyrus and Tressa just sitting off to the side like, "Is...is she talking to us?" "I think so? I mean, there's nobody else here..." "Yeah, but she's not even looking at us, she's staring off into space."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Random Stranger posted:

drat it, Octopath Traveler, adding "-eth", "-est", and "-en" to the ends of words randomly does not make speech "old-timey", it makes it annoying to read and listen to! The mangled grammar for effect was bad before, but I've just hit H'aanit and it's become painful.

But that's my only complaint about the game so far.

I think it’s supposed to be like old timey and Irish brogue, it’s the only way I can parse the random e’s at the end of wordes

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Someone on Reddit said that H'aanit's village speaks middle english pretty accurately.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Iverron posted:

That’s not really what I mean although it is irritating. Everyone talks too much to little end.

I started mashing through around my 5th character, mostly because the story beats are fairly standard and a lot of the dialogue between npcs is just Text that literally holds no bearing on the story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bean posted:

Someone on Reddit said that H'aanit's village speaks middle english pretty accurately.

They are not correct

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Finished all the Chapter 1s and naturally my levels are all over the place. Anywhere from 22 to 8. The level 20 grinding zone is right outside Stillsnow. So, uh, better to get to grinding I guess. Need to afford all this good Chapter 2 city gear, but man its expensive.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm not in whatever part of the game that is, but by my understanding middle english would not be readily parsable by most people reading it today.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Middle English might be at least possible to muddle through, though it'd definitely be hard to read long passages in if you haven't studied it specifically. Chaucer wrote in Middle English, for example, so it's easy to find examples of what it looked like. It's hard to parse for modern English speakers but you can get there if you really try. Now Old English, on the other hand...

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Even if it's accurate it's not that fun to read. :shrug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This is Middle English:

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.
Bifil that in that seson on a day,
In southwerk at the tabard as I lay
Redy to wenden on my pilgrymage
To caunterbury with ful devout corage,
At nyght was come into that hostelrye
Wel nyne and twenty in a compaignye,
Of sondry folk, by aventure yfalle
In felaweshipe, and pilgrimes were they alle,
That toward caunterbury wolden ryde.
The chambres and the stables weren wyde,
And wel we weren esed atte beste.
And shortly, whan the sonne was to reste,
So hadde I spoken with hem everichon
That I was of hir felaweshipe anon,
And made forward erly for to ryse,
To take oure wey ther as I yow devyse.
But nathelees, whil I have tyme and space,
Er that I ferther in this tale pace,
Me thynketh it acordaunt to resoun
To telle yow al the condicioun
Of ech of hem, so as it semed me,
And whiche they weren, and of what degree,
And eek in what array that they were inne;
And at a knyght than wol I first bigynne.

If that's not enough, have some more:

SIȚEN țe sege and țe assaut watz sesed at Troye,
țe bor3 brittened and brent to bronde3 and askez,
țe tulk țat țe trammes of tresoun țer wro3t
Watz tried for his tricherie, țe trewest on erțe:
Hit watz Ennias țe athel, and his highe kynde,
țat sițen depreced prouinces, and patrounes bicome
Welne3e of al țe wele in țe west iles.
Fro riche Romulus to Rome ricchis hym swyțe,
With gret bobbaunce țat bur3e he biges vpon fyrst,
And neuenes hit his aune nome, as hit now hat;
Ticius to Tuskan and teldes bigynnes,
Langaberde in Lumbardie lyftes vp homes,
And fer ouer țe French flod Felix Brutus
On mony bonkkes ful brode Bretayn he settez wyth wynne,
Where werre and wrake and wonder
Bi syțez hatz wont țerinne,
And oft boțe blysse and blunder
Ful skete hatz skyfted synne.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

Heavy Sigh posted:

holy christ therions Chapter 3 boss is a goddamn nightmare. three levels over the listed one and he wiped me in one turn with two horrifically strong aoes.

then i did olberics chapter 3 and stunlocked the boss from 0 to death. i do not understand this games difficulty curve.

I get the feeling buffs and debuffs are mandatory. Use one of the multiple ways to give/generate extra bp and coat your whole team in offense or defense. Ended up doing Primrose's boss over because she was the first source of elemental attack up I had.

"I wonder how much more than the normal 900 damage Cyrus will do?
"Oh, that's 2000, twice."

It was one of Cyrus' double magic attacks to be clear, but the damage per hit did at least double with her basic buff. I'm currently rushing back to this fire bird in one of the level 20 dungeons that wiped my party earlier with a 1k fire aoe. Hoping I can find some npc to do it for me, but Ophilia has the element defense buff and if I give her Primrose's passive skill, she'll give out an extra turn of duration too. Ophilia has a passive in her base job to increase duration on herself.

Oh yeah, another way would be to stack characters with skills that they are weak to. I mean, it's pretty straightforward to do that, but Olberic and H'aanit both have pretty heavy multi attack skills with polearms and bows. Guess it really depends on the boss. Maybe Alfyn's higher end components do even more hits of elemental damage? I feel like there's some flexibility here to make some dedicated breakers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What they did was take a few middle english word forms and chuck them into modern english grammar. That's why it sounds particularly dumb. It doesn't really bother me all that much though since at most it will just be present in one eighth of the game.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The music in Haanits village makes up for it, it sounds straight out of Chrono Trigger.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Cyrus because hes basically Miles Edgeworth and I hope he gets to play detective some more in his story

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I remembered to bring my Switch to work today so I could play all day while it was dead on a Sunday but then the battery died halfway through the day and I forgot to bring it home :(

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I had a ridiculous stealing run through Victor's Hollow and got literally all of the good weapons outside of the arena without having to savescum at all. Now Olberic (with hunter sub) spends his time Garrosh Hellscreaming all over people and it's amazing.

I've gone with Primorse/Cleric and Alfyn/Scholar as my caster core, and I'm liking how it works. Partly because the dark and light dichotomy on Prim is just cool, and partly because separating healing classes has proved useful a time or two when defensive play has been mandated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I like Cyrus because hes basically Miles Edgeworth and I hope he gets to play detective some more in his story

I'm still kind of torn on Alfyn vs. Cyrus as my main character but I think I have to go with Alfyn because I like his voice better and "surprisingly tanky healer with an axe" is a pretty good class to always have around.

Cyrus is real cool, though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

When you scrutinize and get a bonus like "Discount at the inn," I'm assuming that is exclusive to that town?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

When you scrutinize and get a bonus like "Discount at the inn," I'm assuming that is exclusive to that town?

Yes. Seems like each town has one of those and one that makes more items be sold at the weapon/armor shop. I've also seen a couple that say it makes it easier for Ophilia to Guide people but I'm not really sure what that means in practice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Regy Rusty posted:

I've also seen a couple that say it makes it easier for Ophilia to Guide people but I'm not really sure what that means in practice.

Lowers the level requirement

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
I started out with Cyrus, and he's a real cool dude. I haven't gotten any subjobs yet but he's the undisputed AOE king of my party (him, Tressa, and H'annit) so far. Also, after dealing with a slew of archetypal "genius scholar/mage who is a jerk (even if an amusing one) that everyone puts up with because they're a genius/position of authority" characters in other RPGs, Cyrus is refreshing as a genius who everyone knows is a genius, he himself knows he's a genius, but he never really lords it over anyone, isn't a huge jerk, and genuinely wants to do right by his students and spread knowledge to everyone.

Game good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bean posted:

They're so wrong I want to beat whoever said that to death with a copy of Canterbury Tales.

Here's a basic tell that someone not familiar with even the basics older forms of English can use to see how bad the script is: they're not consistent with their usage. They're not even wrong because they don't keep things the same way from line to line.

Regy Rusty posted:

What they did was take a few middle english word forms and chuck them into modern english grammar. That's why it sounds particularly dumb. It doesn't really bother me all that much though since at most it will just be present in one eighth of the game.

A lot of bad usage shows up everywhere I've been. It just goes from hack writer slipping in an occasional bit bad to something that would make a medieval historian swallow a gun with H'aanit.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes. Seems like each town has one of those and one that makes more items be sold at the weapon/armor shop. I've also seen a couple that say it makes it easier for Ophilia to Guide people but I'm not really sure what that means in practice.

That means she can recruit above her usual limit in that town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished all the chapter 1s. Are the subjob shrines easy to find? Also is there one of those level 15-20ish optional dungeons between like each path between two starting towns?