Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The_Frag_Man posted:

Can someone recommend me a realistic drama / romance series about adults. Like a workplace setting, etc. Not school / university.

Doesn't exactly fit all your criteria but Shirobako is the best adults doing their job anime there is.

Also if you're willing to stretch somewhat the aforementioned Planetes is about space garbage persons doing their job and is about as realistic as stuff set in space gets. And it's a pretty good romance too.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The_Frag_Man posted:

Can someone recommend me a realistic drama / romance series about adults. Like a workplace setting, etc. Not school / university.

Try checking out The Great Passage. If you’re open to a more historical setting, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is very good as well.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Nana maybe? I've never seen it so I don't know if it's good but the premise seems to mostly fit

Strange Quark posted:

Try checking out The Great Passage. If you’re open to a more historical setting, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is very good as well.

Ooh yeah, both of these are terrific shows

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Alright thanks everyone I will check out Shirobako, Planetes and The Great Passage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I genuinely don't know if that exists in anime. Are you sure you can't be sold on high schoolers/college-age students?
lol

The_Frag_Man posted:

Planetes takes place in a sci-fi setting but it's a very, very down to earth sci-fi setting. There's no space battles or anything. The main characters are space garbagemen and its mostly just about the logistics and politics of a near-future setting where space flight is viable. Mild amounts of romance.

Space Brothers is about two brothers who want to be astronauts, one who became one straight out of college and another who's been drifting from dead end job to dead end job for most of his life with that goal in the back of his mind. It's like 100 episodes but it's good. No real romance in it, though, but I feel like you'd be into it.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is one you might have to lean into a bit, it's about an ancient Japanese form of storytelling called Rakugo, part play and part stand-up routine, almost, but if you're willing to look past the cultural gap or even embrace it it's a very good story about a dying art, the people still practicing it, and their relationships. It's very much a drama, though, so be prepared for that.

Knorth posted:

Nana maybe?
Nana's main characters are college age, but not in college. So, maybe?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It doesn't really fit all that well but since it is literally The Perfect Anime and someone already recommended Planetes; watch Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The_Frag_Man posted:

It's probably more comedy than any drama you're looking for but Servant x Service is a rom-com set in a government social workers' office.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's the closest there is for an anime about irredeemable scumbags played for cringe comedy? Sorta like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I've been rewatching that show and I was wondering if there's something like it. I already watch Gintama, which contains plenty of jerkfaces, but nobody in Gintama is as reprehensible as The Gang (or at least that lasts as long).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

It doesn't really fit all that well but since it is literally The Perfect Anime and someone already recommended Planetes; watch Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise.

wouldn't call a movie with an almost rape very romantic

anyway Otona Joshi no Anime Time

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

What's the closest there is for an anime about irredeemable scumbags played for cringe comedy? Sorta like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I've been rewatching that show and I was wondering if there's something like it. I already watch Gintama, which contains plenty of jerkfaces, but nobody in Gintama is as reprehensible as The Gang (or at least that lasts as long).
Konosuba. What convinced me to watch that show in the first place was someone in a season thread posting "Aqua Ruins Everything" in the Always Sunny title card font, and it was ultimately spot on.

Hinamatsuri is also something that comes to mind though it has a lot more heart than either Konsuba or of course Always Sunny.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Konosuba. What convinced me to watch that show in the first place was someone in a season thread posting "Aqua Ruins Everything" in the Always Sunny title card font, and it was ultimately spot on.

Hinamatsuri is also something that comes to mind though it has a lot more heart than either Konsuba or of course Always Sunny.
Watched both already. Dang. Well, I can always just rewatch them (or in the case of Hinamatsuri, just read the manga).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Girlish Number?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

Sabagebu is pretty good for that

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Wark Say posted:

Haganai might be the definitive anime about terrible people being awful to each other.

It's shamelessly horny and super filthy though, so YMMV depending on your tolerance level.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I really don't like cringe comedy to begin with so I'm probably not the best one to answer this, but I can't think of any anime that has that very American combination of "these people suck so much it hurts to watch" and "they will never improve or redeem themselves in any way and that's hilarious."

The closest I can think of is something like The Flowers of Evil (which isn't comedic) or Welcome to the NHK (which is funny and painful to watch but it's ultimately about the main character fixing his lovely life).

Most of the outright comedies people have suggested here are about jerks, but, like, goofy, generally attractive jerks who live in a world of cartoon logic where the bad things they do don't really cause lasting harm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Girlish Number?
Oh god, I forgot about Girlish Number! It's from the guy who wrote Oregairu, right? I just might give it a watch.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sabagebu is pretty good for that
Forgot about this one, too! Silly and mean in all the right places. I'm gonna rewatch this. Thanks!

esselfortium posted:

Haganai might be the definitive anime about terrible people being awful to each other.

It's shamelessly horny and super filthy though, so YMMV depending on your tolerance level.
:chloe:

Yeah, thanks for the reco, but pass. The fact that the openly perverted horn-dog and the farting nun are the most sympathetic characters in the whole show still wracks my brain.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Sakurazuka posted:

I just finished the first two parts of Muv Luv and was wondering if there were any anime or manga (or anything really) that has the same 'people just living their lives while huge events they don't have any real involvement in happen' feel that Unlimited does?

I feel like Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestrucion fits that description pretty well if you don't mind an ongoing manga. The characters might end up having a big involvement in events eventually, or they might just keep being bystanders who are trying to live a normal life in a bizarre reality. It's also Inio Asano, so the art is amazing and it will probably all end in tears.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Oh god, I forgot about Girlish Number! It's from the guy who wrote Oregairu, right? I just might give it a watch.
Yeah, it's by the oregairu author. It's got some clear affection for the industry and there's a few characters who manage to come across sympathetic, but the main character is a lazy, egotistical person whose character arc is mostly just learning not to be an active detriment to the people around here, and there's plenty of side characters who are just basically terrible people who get no come uppance. It's really funny, it's got some decent insider talk, the characters manage to be pretty interesting even with only twelve episodes to go around, it's good stuff.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Grand Blue should kinda scratch that itch, if the upcoming adaptation is any good.

One of my fav chapters is the band of boys going to absurd lengths to conspire against one of their own getting laid.

See if this stand-alone chapter entertains you (no real prior knowledge required): https://mangadex.org/chapter/10534

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HenryEx posted:

Grand Blue should kinda scratch that itch, if the upcoming adaptation is any good.

One of my fav chapters is the band of boys going to absurd lengths to conspire against one of their own getting laid.

See if this stand-alone chapter entertains you (no real prior knowledge required): https://mangadex.org/chapter/10534
gently caress YEAH! I'M FEELING THIS SO HARD! Thanks Hank! :dance:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

Yeah, it's by the oregairu author. It's got some clear affection for the industry and there's a few characters who manage to come across sympathetic, but the main character is a lazy, egotistical person whose character arc is mostly just learning not to be an active detriment to the people around here, and there's plenty of side characters who are just basically terrible people who get no come uppance. It's really funny, it's got some decent insider talk, the characters manage to be pretty interesting even with only twelve episodes to go around, it's good stuff.

Chitose is the best and my wife

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

littleorv posted:

Chitose is the best and my wife

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

She’s the best

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
How is Ikuhara's bear show, Yurikuma Arashi? Utena is a top 5 of all time series for me and I mostly liked Penguindrum.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i only read the manga which i recommend but consensus on here seems to be the anime is bad. consensus elsewhere is that it's good though so maybe you have to watch to know if it's good or bad.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Patter Song posted:

How is Ikuhara's bear show, Yurikuma Arashi? Utena is a top 5 of all time series for me and I mostly liked Penguindrum.

I generally liked it, but it wasn't nearly on the same level as Utena and Penguindrum. I still say it's worth a watch, though.

Consensus here is skewed mainly because the ADTRW thread for it may actually have been the worst thread that SA has ever seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coincidentally, yurikuma is the worst anime ive ever seen

anyway some people like it some people don't, if you want something closer to utena/penguindrum then it's not by ikuhara but staright revue is airing this season and is by a guy who did a lot of stuff on penguindrum and it has very ikuhara-esque direction/ideas without feeling like a stale copy or anything, watch the fansubs and not the official hidive subs tho

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
whatever you do, watch starlight revue

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

whatever you do, watch starlight revue

:hai:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watch revue starlight until you can remember its revue starlight and not starlight revue

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Starlight Revue parses way bettet

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
R st E ar V li U gh E t

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Magic Sign Starlight Revue

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So my friend REALLY likes Yu-Gi-Oh and I think she’d be stoked if I watched some. But is there any decent Yu-Gi-Oh? Or am I a snob/idiot for even asking?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

superLINUS posted:

So my friend REALLY likes Yu-Gi-Oh and I think she’d be stoked if I watched some. But is there any decent Yu-Gi-Oh? Or am I a snob/idiot for even asking?

Just watch from season 1 and stop once you feel like it's gotten too off the rails/dumb for you. It's actually not a bad show overall.

DISCLAIMER: I may be blinded by massive amounts of nostalgia.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

superLINUS posted:

Yes, there is. At the very least, the movie Dark Side of Dimensions is rad, though I don't know how much you'd get out of it if you haven't even watched a little of the original show.

It's a fun movie on it's own merits and if she's a mark for the original series she will have an absolute blast, you should watch it together.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the first manga or w/e that's about Yugi punishing people with hosed up puzzle games and has nothing to do with trading cards yet sounds cool to me, from that description

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AnoHito posted:

Just watch from season 1 and stop once you feel like it's gotten too off the rails/dumb for you. It's actually not a bad show overall.

DISCLAIMER: I may be blinded by massive amounts of nostalgia.

Nah, this is the correct answer. The show starts out as a kinda dark story about a little kid whose evil split personality / the spirit possessing him routinely murders people for losing at games. (Not even the Yu-Gi-Oh card game, that comes significantly later.) It's hilariously at odds with the audience / tone of the franchise as a whole and very entertaining for that reason.

After a while someone actually stopped to see what was going on in the writers room and it becomes a much more generic show designed to sell cardboard. So yeah, watch a couple episodes and then like AnoHito says just stop whenever you lose interest.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

superLINUS posted:

i'm not familiar with Zexal, but every other series (Duel Monsters, GX, 5Ds, Arc V) starts strong and then gradually loses steam after the first arc or two. basically like AnoHito said just jump into one that appeals to you and tap out once you feel you've had enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

the first manga or w/e that's about Yugi punishing people with hosed up puzzle games and has nothing to do with trading cards yet sounds cool to me, from that description

Yeah, it's good. And also super dark. I think there was an anime made out of it at some point, but I've never actually seen it. Definitely worth a read if you're into the series as a whole, though, since it does some cool things, especially with how it goves Kaiba a motivation for hating Yugi besides "rich rear end in a top hat"