Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, you're better off just buying the GKids/Shout! editions which apparently fix a lot of errors on Disney's editions and they're going for about $12 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Another movie with cut scenes: Ghostbusters 2 has a whole plot of Ray slowly getting possessed by Vigo. This is present in the final film with two scenes (where he’s first “seduced” by Vigo and then later completely possessed).

However, another scene was filmed where Ray is driving the Ecto-1 and comes under Vigo’s influence. He sends the team on a wild drive through the streets of New York before getting snapped out of it again. A quick two second snip of a Bill Murray reacting to Ray’s wild driving (presented in a mid-movie montage out of context) is all that remains of that sequence in the final film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to canvas for some opinions on a movie I haven't seen but am very curious about. It's William Friedkin's 1980 crime movie Cruising, starring Al Pacino as a New York cop who goes undercover in New York City's gay club scene to track down a serial killer who is targeting gay men.

My question is really threefold: is it as homophobic as its infamous reputation suggests; is it worth watching in spite of that; and is it so homophobic that it would be very off-putting to watch? How would it compare with something like, say, The Silence of the Lambs, a movie I like and enjoy but undeniably has some problematic contents?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd like to canvas for some opinions on a movie I haven't seen but am very curious about. It's William Friedkin's 1980 crime movie Cruising, starring Al Pacino as a New York cop who goes undercover in New York City's gay club scene to track down a serial killer who is targeting gay men.

My question is really threefold: is it as homophobic as its infamous reputation suggests; is it worth watching in spite of that; and is it so homophobic that it would be very off-putting to watch? How would it compare with something like, say, The Silence of the Lambs, a movie I like and enjoy but undeniably has some problematic contents?

It's better than Silence of the Lambs, and is both more homophobic and less homophobic than you'd expect.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

contemporary Icelandic review posted:

[The gay clubs] the film features are predominantly frequented by homos with sadistic tendencies. Black leather is the uniform of these scum. To see them writhe around on a smokey dance-floor to the beat of frenzied disco music is like gazing into a pit of vipers.

The critic also complains about the level of violence and predicts that it won't be long until the "American violence films" resort to filming actual murders to satisfy the bloodlust of their deviant audience. He does however make sure to add that although the violence made him uneasy it was the depiction of homosexuality that almost made him vomit

It's one of those reviews that's meant to be scathing but would only make it sound even more appealing to genre fans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The critic also complains about the level of violence and predicts that it won't be long until the "American violence films" resort to filming actual murders to satisfy the bloodlust of their deviant audience. He does however make sure to add that although the violence made him uneasy it was the depiction of homosexuality that almost made him vomit

It's one of those reviews that's meant to be scathing but would only make it sound even more appealing to genre fans.

That sounds like dictionary definition "the lady doth protest too much"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

That sounds like dictionary definition "the lady doth protest too much"

Reads a bit like one of those Ugandan newspapers.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's a hard film to pin down, partly because Friedkin intentionally leaves a lot of room for interpretation and partly because as a sleazy crime flick, it naturally gravitates towards the dark underbelly of the gay scene. I definitely think it would have received a warmer reception if it hadn't been one of the very few mainstream depictions of openly gay characters at the time. The LGBT community was understandably wary of anything supporting the popular assumption that their lifestyle is perverted and sadistic.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 19, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Quick question, is there any rape or potentially triggering sexual assault in The Killing of a Sacred Deer? I ask because I have a friend of mine who's had bad experiences at our fellow friends' movie nights (being ambushed with poo poo like Man Bites Dog of all things jfc) and I wanna make sure the artsy types don't gently caress up again since no one else is gonna do the research.
From some cursory research all I've gathered is there's a scene where the husband and wife kind of do a rape roleplay? which is weird but might be alright, I guess, if it's just a consenting married couple kink they've got going on...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Parents Guide on IMDb doesn’t bring up anything specific. That page is both useful, and good for laughs at the kind of things that get brought up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Quick question, is there any rape or potentially triggering sexual assault in The Killing of a Sacred Deer? I ask because I have a friend of mine who's had bad experiences at our fellow friends' movie nights (being ambushed with poo poo like Man Bites Dog of all things jfc) and I wanna make sure the artsy types don't gently caress up again since no one else is gonna do the research.
From some cursory research all I've gathered is there's a scene where the husband and wife kind of do a rape roleplay? which is weird but might be alright, I guess, if it's just a consenting married couple kink they've got going on...

Common Sense Media's guides are good for this.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, is Jeanne's son on the autism spectrum? He seems to exhibit a lot of traits which are commonly associated with the disorder: extreme focus on a singular interest, difficulty in showing emotions or making eye contact, a strong desire for routines and correspondingly a highly structured daily schedule, a somewhat naive understanding of sexuality, and brutal honesty.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, Jim Carrey in Dead Pool, the 4th Dirty Harry movie.

He was one of the leads in Once Bitten which came out nearly three years prior to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyPc-1QdzSE

Samuel Clemens posted:

In Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, is Jeanne's son on the autism spectrum? He seems to exhibit a lot of traits which are commonly associated with the disorder: extreme focus on a singular interest, difficulty in showing emotions or making eye contact, a strong desire for routines and correspondingly a highly structured daily schedule, a somewhat naive understanding of sexuality, and brutal honesty.

It could be read that way although he might just be tired after a day out and not wanting to chitchat. It's very unconventional in that it shows the monotony of life to a degree that few films do. Jeanne herself sticks to a regimented schedule as well.

He's definitely reserved and withdrawn but IIRC we don't see him interacting outside at all so it's hard to be sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with Sinemia? I currently am a Moviepass subscriber but with the vagueries of their recent communications about adding stuff like surge pricing and how it can be annoying when you have multiple people going to one showing I've been thinking of switching. n

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zogo posted:

He was one of the leads in Once Bitten which came out nearly three years prior to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyPc-1QdzSE

He was also one of the aliens in Earth Girls are Easy.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone who’s smarter and better at movies than me please explain what the gently caress was up with all the spiders in “Enemy”? I thought it was great but most of that move flew over my head.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
All I know about the spider stuff is that Villeneuve made the cast sign an NDA so they wouldn't talk about it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective Thompson posted:

All I know about the spider stuff is that Villeneuve made the cast sign an NDA so they wouldn't talk about it.

Yeah that was like the first thing in the IMDb trivia section. Dick move Denis!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m a massive arachnophobe, so Enemy is probably going to remain the Villeneueve film I never properly watch.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m a massive arachnophobe, so Enemy is probably going to remain the Villeneueve film I never properly watch.

I'm usually chill with eight legged freaks but I remember the French safe-sex awareness ads provoking a pretty visceral response.

What goes into determining whether a film will have a 4k digital/BluRay release? Some more recent movies are sticking with 1080p and I'm just wondering if it's so they can sell the 4k later.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't normally post about films (as you are going to quickly realise as you read this post). Can you guys explain to me the hateful eight? I saw it on netflix and quickly scanned the cast and was intrigued.

I felt like I didn't enjoy any of it but at the same time there was some body in a beret knowingly chuckling at me saying "of course you aren't enjoying this".

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Dude I tried watching this like 3-4 times because it’s something I think I should like. Fell asleep less than an hour into it every single time, I haven’t attempted it since.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It’s a bunch of actors chewing up the scenery in a single room.

It’s not boring, but it’s 90% dialogue except for when someone’s insides get thrown up or another person’s head explodes. And it’s strongly implied someone gets shot in the dick. And none of this is a spoiler because that describes most QT movies

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's like "Clue", but with more swear words and blood

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In addition to what's been said, The Hateful Eight also features Tarantino's favourite topic: the depiction of violence in film and the audience's complicity in it. Only this time with a special focus on violence against women.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s a bunch of actors chewing up the scenery in a single room.

It’s not boring, but it’s 90% dialogue except for when someone’s insides get thrown up or another person’s head explodes. And it’s strongly implied someone gets shot in the dick. And none of this is a spoiler because that describes most QT movies

The dialogue is really stilted and odd and repetitive. I understand that was obviously what tarantino was going for but I still don't know why.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

The dialogue is really stilted and odd and repetitive. I understand that was obviously what tarantino was going for but I still don't know why.

It feels like a play. I love plays so that helped gloss over the absolute beating they gave Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Edgy high schoolers in 2026 will put on Hateful Eight plays for the Drama Club.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Krispy Wafer posted:

It feels like a play. I love plays so that helped gloss over the absolute beating they gave Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Edgy high schoolers in 2026 will put on Hateful Eight plays for the Drama Club.

Edgier high schoolers will do a genderswapped version

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Edgier high schoolers will do a genderswapped version

Make it a barefoot version and Tarantino will be in the front row opening night.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What are some mansions that have been used as exterior locations in multiple movies? Houses like Oheka, Mentmore Towers, and Ennis House. I don't care if just pictures were used and nothing was actually filmed there.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some mansions that have been used as exterior locations in multiple movies? Houses like Oheka, Mentmore Towers, and Ennis House. I don't care if just pictures were used and nothing was actually filmed there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_at_Parkwood_Estate

Parkwood Estate in Ontario

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In the beginning credits of 2014 Godzilla, there are parts of the credits that get blanked over, like a CIA document. Is there somewhere online where those are visible and we can see what they actually say? I can only catch glimpses, and owning it on Vudu makes it hard to pause and move forward enough to see what's written.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leavemywife posted:

In the beginning credits of 2014 Godzilla, there are parts of the credits that get blanked over, like a CIA document. Is there somewhere online where those are visible and we can see what they actually say? I can only catch glimpses, and owning it on Vudu makes it hard to pause and move forward enough to see what's written.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EM2Uu

e: lol at the creatures odd mating habits with CJ ADAMS

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Krankenstyle posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/EM2Uu

e: lol at the creatures odd mating habits with CJ ADAMS

The David Strathairn one still makes me laugh.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I guess this is the right place to ask this, but why didn't what happened on the Twilight Zone end John Landis's career? He went on to make several more hits after that such as Spies Like Us and Coming to America. His career really only spiraled out after a string of terrible movies in the 90s, and even still those were all studio movies with pretty big budgets. Is Hollywood just hell and that's why nobody seemed to care that he killed three people?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

I guess this is the right place to ask this, but why didn't what happened on the Twilight Zone end John Landis's career? He went on to make several more hits after that such as Spies Like Us and Coming to America. His career really only spiraled out after a string of terrible movies in the 90s, and even still those were all studio movies with pretty big budgets. Is Hollywood just hell and that's why nobody seemed to care that he killed three people?

That’s about it.

John Huston loving ran over someone while drunk and hadn’t even directed anything yet.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Not just Hollywood. You make any organization enough money consistently and you can do way worse than kill a person or two and that organization will probably not give a poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Disney hired a writer/director who was convicted of molesting a 12 year old actor on a prior movie set.

Making movies must be real hard if you can do horrible things and still get jobs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hey, be fair, all the men you're talking about were white. And men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Hey, be fair, all the men you're talking about were white. And men

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves here. Nate Parker did some bad poo poo and he was Black. Hopefully Hollywood embraces terrible men of all races and creeds when overlooking women for director jobs.