Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
The point is that the assumption that “you” are a continuous presence in the world isn’t as well founded as one might think. There’s a lot of belief in it but not a lot of evidence for it. It could in fact just be a useful delusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

That's true, but I was talking about going to sleep, your brain doesn't freeze, it does weird poo poo that we don't understand yet, not like we really understand it the rest of the time.

Yeah I used sleep because it's easily relatable for most people since everyone has interruptions in their consciousness every day and they don't notice. If you want you can swap out "sleep" for "in a deep coma with no EEG activity" which some people have survived before without somehow becoming a new person. Mostly I was trying to show:

eschaton posted:

The point is that the assumption that “you” are a continuous presence in the world isn’t as well founded as one might think. There’s a lot of belief in it but not a lot of evidence for it. It could in fact just be a useful delusion.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's a point I can accept, I was being kind of stupid because the cryonics people really annoy me with their belief that they don't lose important information with their little trick.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

That's a point I can accept, I was being kind of stupid because the cryonics people really annoy me with their belief that they don't lose important information with their little trick.

Oh yeah nah I fully expect that if we ever figure out how to thaw out someone frozen with modern or near-future cryonics they'd be at best a vegetable no matter how good nanobots or w/e get

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
btw, if you foolishly desire to be up on the latest on the chuds, the C-SPAM alt-right thread is ok

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

It is wishful thinking to believe we are anything more than the lightning in our meat.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Rly maeks u :thunk:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/SimonDeDeo/status/1017626152930807808

Click the link for a brutal thread on AI research in industry, the thing Yudkowsky fears.

(SolTerrasa, any opinion on this?)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1017457309419745281

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just came up in the alt-right thread: Counter-Currents: Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid vs. Ethnonationalism. Not too long for a "what the gently caress did I just read." And it's kinda comforting to see these guys hate themselves as much as they hate everyone else.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Someone is very very mad at a show for having a lesbian couple where one is a stay at home wife.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Someone is very very mad at a show for having a lesbian couple where one is a stay at home wife.

A show he's apparently seen every episode of, despite hating.

It also sure sounds like he personally relates to the big titty dragon ladies a whole bunch which is hilarious

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I also love the single comment:

quote:

I found your blog cause a screenshot of this post is making the rounds online. Kobayashi’s father is an evil agent of chaos bent on causing havoic and destruction in the realm (possibly Hell) the dragons come from and his sect spends all its time fighting the law and justice dragons like Unicorn Butt Girl, so Kobayashi choosing to become a neutered domesticated lesbian is probably a small step in the right direction, or at least a lesser evil. The feminized neutered gamer dragon also used to be an evil homicidal maniac from the same chaos sect and Kobayashi even makes repeated jokes about hating God and Jesus. I see what you’re getting at but I think it’s a bigger shame Unicorn Butt Girl traded upholding justice and righteousness for being a wageslave than that the actually Satanic dragons traded violence for lust and sloth.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

Just came up in the alt-right thread: Counter-Currents: Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid vs. Ethnonationalism. Not too long for a "what the gently caress did I just read." And it's kinda comforting to see these guys hate themselves as much as they hate everyone else.

I saw that on reddit. The title made me think it was generated by a Markov chain.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It's a good show but it's loving hilarious that anyone is writing a review of it through the lens of their particular ideology. It's a comedy about a lesbian dragon who wants to gently caress a salarywoman. Maybe there are better choices

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

It's a good show but it's loving hilarious that anyone is writing a review of it through the lens of their particular ideology. It's a comedy about a lesbian dragon who wants to gently caress a salarywoman. Maybe there are better choices

‘Lesbian dragons are good’ is an intensely ideological statement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kit Walker posted:

Maybe there are better choices

Some people aren’t about good choices, you know?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

‘Lesbian dragons are good’ is an intensely ideological statement.

Yeah but you don't see me writing 5000 words about it

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, one of the more recent updates for Warframe allowed you to seek employment from Roko’s Basilisk as a torturer in its simulated hell, because that game gets the appeal of freaky technosorcerous transhumanism.
300 Million Simulations, All Of Which Walk Into Omelas

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

divabot posted:

Gotta admit to a chuckle at, "Like Syrian refugees with huge tits and Kawaii outfits,"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
and I literally only just realised that Buttercup Dew was My Nationalist Pony guy

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

and I literally only just realised that Buttercup Dew was My Nationalist Pony guy

go on

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

divabot posted:

It's amusing because he actually grasps the show's themes, more or less; he's just infuriated by them because he can't accept that immigrants might be good.

His review of Shinsekai Yori is more point-missing, though: https://www.counter-currents.com/2017/06/shinsekai-yori-and-the-impossibility-of-coexistence/

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just read that dreck, and now I'm starting to miss Mencius Moldbug.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I just read that dreck, and now I'm starting to miss Mencius Moldbug.

"Reviewing anime for a White Nationalist site can be hard, for the want of good subject matter."

ya don't say

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are actually a lot of nationalist and right wing anime. They're all just very bad and usually unpopular. So no one cares about them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

There are actually a lot of nationalist and right wing anime. They're all just very bad and usually unpopular. So no one cares about them.
Is there a lot of non-Japanese nationalism present in anime?

Stuff like Attack on Titan has the weird military fetishism present but all the nationalism I know is like, the one where they go back in time to WW2 and whoops Japan still has to lose but oh god the brave soldiers or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They were a favorite of the brony mock thread back in the day. They ran a blog where they insisted that the lessons MLP was trying to teach little girls was that racial purity and fascism were cool and great, and claimed that they didn't really know anything about nationalism until MLP "convinced" them of it and taught them how great it is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like that one where military hardware is anthropomorphized as schoolgirls. No the other one. No not that one either, that one.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Stuff like Attack on Titan has the weird military fetishism present but all the nationalism I know is like, the one where they go back in time to WW2 and whoops Japan still has to lose but oh god the brave soldiers or whatever
There is quite a bit of not explicitly Japanese but taking place in a fantasy land nationalism that's broadly applicable to the modern if you're a nationalist.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like that one where military hardware is anthropomorphized as schoolgirls. No the other one. No not that one either, that one.
The one that's literally funded by the Japanese conservative party and depicts the allied forces of WW2 as evil aliens?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

So not Strike Witches?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The recently-concluded Darling in the FranXX may technically count. It’s a story where evil aliens have tricked humanity into entering a nightmarish, vaguely capitalist dystopia and declaring war on its own planet, and the only way to stop them is to reconnect with our ancestors, re-learn traditional heterosexual romance and build a nice, traditional agrarian society.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darling in the Franxx really counts, but I avoiding naming names because anime fans even here are pretty terrible about protecting their objects of consumption. It looked at all the Protocols of Ziony stuff in EVA and decided "I could use some more of that" what with the evil council of alien monsters tricking humans into becoming evil queers which destroys the planet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There's plenty of reactionary poo poo in anime, but somewhat less openly ethnonationalist poo poo.

E: although of course it's harder to recognize the exact structures of racism in cultures you're less embedded in, so maybe it just seems that way to me because I can't recognize it.

Doc Hawkins has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Jul 16, 2018

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I mean, Darling in the Franxx is about a dystopian future where a handful of people rule over absolutely everyone and society at large basically does nothing at all because they’re immortal and willingly isolating themselves. The protagonists are a bunch of teens who are taught next to nothing about sex or adulthood and are used to fight creatures that interfere with humanity harvesting a source of near-infinite energy that both sustains the remnants of humanity and has caused virtually the entire planet to die

Oh yeah, and half of the fascistic council that rules over everything turn out to be aliens from another dimension. It’s not exactly a great show (and the show’s gender politics are just bad) but I don’t really see how it’s nationalist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also when you pilot the giant robots you do it by mounting a lady doggy style and using some handlebars attached to her back.

I feel like we're kinda glossing over this very important piece of information.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

I mean, Darling in the Franxx is about a dystopian future where a handful of people rule over absolutely everyone and society at large basically does nothing at all because they’re immortal and willingly isolating themselves. The protagonists are a bunch of teens who are taught next to nothing about sex or adulthood and are used to fight creatures that interfere with humanity harvesting a source of near-infinite energy that both sustains the remnants of humanity and has caused virtually the entire planet to die

Oh yeah, and half of the fascistic council that rules over everything turn out to be aliens from another dimension. It’s not exactly a great show (and the show’s gender politics are just bad) but I don’t really see how it’s nationalist

Try reading this paragraph back to yourself, maybe? Or are you not familiar with aliens as an allegory for foreigners in sci-fi?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

divabot posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonDeDeo/status/1017626152930807808

Click the link for a brutal thread on AI research in industry, the thing Yudkowsky fears.

(SolTerrasa, any opinion on this?)

Oh, drat, that thread is full of completely fair burns on the Google folks. I mean, I'm a symbolic reasoning AI guy at heart. I am extremely inclined to agree with this guy. Choosing layer sizes is bullshit. It's not advancing the field, it's just solving a single problem you have in front of you.

It's part of a pattern I've seen in AI research. It's pushing the grad student grunt work around the system like it's peas on a child's dinner plate. In an MDP it's the value function weights. In a neural net it's finding the right layer sizes and architecture. In random forests it's about choosing the right sizes for your trees. There's always some metaparameter that requires a human going in and poking it and poking it and poking it until you get the results you want. My thesis had that, and the Google stuff I've worked on has had a poo poo-ton of that.

Obviously none of those choices of metaparameter is going to make a god.

The next ai winter can't come soon enough.

SolTerrasa has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Jul 16, 2018

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The one that's literally funded by the Japanese conservative party and depicts the allied forces of WW2 as evil aliens?

What is it callled? Please, I must know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

What is it callled? Please, I must know.

Might be thinking of Kantai Collection there, although IIRC, the odd Allied warship has started to show up on the good guys’ side.