Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

so since i got a das keybaord at home ive become acutely aware that my keyboard at work is 1) disgusting and 2) so loving old there are marks gouged into the spacebar from the corner of my thumbnail (I think???) and all the key caps are worn smooth and horrid to type on. plus its a crap HP piece of poo poo in the first place.

but if i get a noisy mechanical keyboard my colleagues will kill me, im thinking some MX reds or something? when I tried them out I didn't think they were that much quieter than the browns in my one at home though

edit: all the ones i can find on amazon or whatever are idiot backlit gamer bullshit

I worked in a quiet open plan office and reds were def too loud. Now I work in an office with more ambient noise and they're OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Haven't used them myself due to being non-US but wasdkeyboards.com have a $25 "install sound dampeners" option you can get with any switch as well as a lot of boards with MX Silent Reds if noise is the main concern.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
installing a microphone in my keyboard and piping it through an EQ to my amplifier and speakers BMW style

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

desk is still a mess but I'm trying the keybard out in different situations

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Keeb split and on the far outside, joysticks on the inside.

Mouse... well just use the joystick as a mouse and make plane noises while you browse the internet.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

desk is still a mess but I'm trying the keybard out in different situations

that prescription label looks like its in comic sans

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

look if you know of a better way to make medicine fun id like to here it :colbert:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Pretty new to this and I have two questions as I look for a mech keyboard to use with a small foldback laptop at cafes and the library.

1. What switches fit the bill of: like blues, but a little bit stiffer, and silent (or close to)?

2. How difficult is it to replace the switches on a board if I have to order them separately?

Edit: P.S. does anyone know of a good mostly flat mouse that fits easily in a laptop bag?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

CS is apparently a good font for dyslexic readers so I guess it’s not hurting anyone else here except smug ‘designers’

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my poker 3 keyboard is too small. or my hands are too big

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BONGHITZ posted:

my poker 3 keyboard is too small. or my hands are too big

I had to get rid of a HHK2 with topres and blank key caps because it was too small. It was super fun to use, but at the end of the day my hands just hurt too much.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I had to get rid of a HHK2 with topres and blank key caps because it was too small. It was super fun to use, but at the end of the day my hands just hurt too much.

kinesis freestyle pro or edge

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
idk what game that is so im gonna guess STAR CITIZEN

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Kilometres Davis posted:

Pretty new to this and I have two questions as I look for a mech keyboard to use with a small foldback laptop at cafes and the library.

1. What switches fit the bill of: like blues, but a little bit stiffer, and silent (or close to)?

2. How difficult is it to replace the switches on a board if I have to order them separately?

Edit: P.S. does anyone know of a good mostly flat mouse that fits easily in a laptop bag?

this is either a troll or you have sustained a level of autism that is beyond the scope of this thread (check the sh/sc thread or if you really wanna go off the deep end geekhack.org)

don't take a goddamn mechanical keyboard with you to the library. or any public place. or anywhere, really.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk what game that is so im gonna guess STAR CITIZEN

:frontear:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

absolutely love this keyboard. best purchase I made this year.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

so since i got a das keybaord at home ive become acutely aware that my keyboard at work is 1) disgusting and 2) so loving old there are marks gouged into the spacebar from the corner of my thumbnail (I think???) and all the key caps are worn smooth and horrid to type on. plus its a crap HP piece of poo poo in the first place.

but if i get a noisy mechanical keyboard my colleagues will kill me, im thinking some MX reds or something? when I tried them out I didn't think they were that much quieter than the browns in my one at home though

edit: all the ones i can find on amazon or whatever are idiot backlit gamer bullshit

nothing in the cherry series is loud enough to annoy anyone. consider: the kinesis has an buzzer built in to provide audible feedback because the switches are too quiet

as long as you don't go buy a model m you will be fine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kilometres Davis posted:

the blue is already as close to silent as is physically practical you jackass

Kilometres Davis posted:

four solder junctions per key, have fun with that dumbass idea

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

nbsd is going through it and they need our love and support right now

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nothing in the cherry series is loud enough to annoy anyone. consider: the kinesis has an buzzer built in to provide audible feedback because the switches are too quiet

To be fair that buzzer is absolutely insane.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the most hosed up part about the kinesis is it feels like cheap plastic poo poo. the quality of a $5 monoprice keyboard

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The advantage? I don't get that from mine, seems like the same quality as my Filco basically. Hate the chiclet keys they have for the function keys though.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you’re made to work anywhere but a private office you owe it to your coworkers to use a model m or similar keyboard until your management learns the error of their ways

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the blue is already as close to silent as is physically practical you jackass

blue, the switch with the extra piece of plastic added specifically made to create an extra clicky sound

yeah what could they possibly do to bring the volume down on that one

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah blues sound like a machine gun if you get a good type on.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jony neuemonic posted:

yeah blues sound like a machine gun if you get a good type on.

yeah I’m pretty sure nbsd is one of those people that can do all their work on an iPad, would explain why they’re such a dipshit about keyboards

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

clickety clack, wickety wack

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
you ain’t workin if the table ain’t rockin

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
one needs to not just hear but feel that work is being done

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blues click more than clack its a bit avg

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you really want your coworkers to murder you, stick a solenoid in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2BlwCB_rzI

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's so good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the most hosed up part about the kinesis is it feels like cheap plastic poo poo. the quality of a $5 monoprice keyboard

i assume you are talking about the kinesis freestyle, not the beloved advantage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I’m pretty sure nbsd is one of those people that can do all their work on an iPad, would explain why they’re such a dipshit about keyboards

all of my work is accomplished via phone-posting

earning those brown bucks if you know what i mean

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i assume you are talking about the kinesis freestyle, not the beloved advantage

freestyle 2 is ok, feels like a high end membrane like your Logitech’s etc

freestyle pro is probably a lot nicer

freestyle edge is really, really nice, like wow

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the freestyle is absolutely fine for normal humans. peopel that get offended by the texture of food probably find it unusable tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

freestyle 2 is ok, feels like a high end membrane like your Logitech’s etc

freestyle pro is probably a lot nicer

freestyle edge is really, really nice, like wow

how do you rate the freestyle jelq

Adbot