Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I've lost just over ten pounds since November, which is not at all impressive. But some of my clothes look nicer on me now, and the nurse was very pleased to hear that all I've been doing is eating smaller amounts of crappy food less often. Besides getting smaller portions of my favorite indulgences to begin with, I've also become comfortable with not finishing every last bit. That's been especially helpful with fancy sugary coffee drinks, as liquid calories are the devil. And I don't feel deprived, which helps a lot with impulse control, honestly.

The nurse also clicked her tongue with disdain when I mentioned Healthy at Every Size; she's actually come across a couple of patients who buy into the worst of the HAES nonsense. So she was really happy to hear that I'm being realistic, changing my diet and my relationship with food, and that my weight loss has been a (slow but) steady process.

Edit: If you really want flavor and fizz, there are tons of flavored seltzer waters that are no calorie, taste good, and are cheaper than pop.

You gonna explain why you have a nurse or are we just supposed to guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You gonna explain why you have a nurse or are we just supposed to guess?

I mean I'm assuming they went to see a doctor, as people will do.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zoe posted:

I mean I'm assuming they went to see a doctor, as people will do.

Oh ok, in my country you only talk to a nurse if you're in a hospital for a serious problem. You go to clinics for everything else and those are staffed by receptionists/doctors.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Peach pie filling in a bowl, for breakfast or dessert. 250 calories:

(there was more than that but I ate some before it left the skillet)

1 extremely oversized hard, tasteless peach
pat of butter
dash of salt
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs chopped pecans
4 crushed vanilla wafers.
loads of cinnamon

soften the peaches in a skillet with the butter, add the other things and cook it a bit longer
do the cinnamon last because I'm not sure if it does anything weird if heated directly or what

Put in bowl. Shove in face. Be overwhelmed by intense peachy goodness.

vvv That is awesome! CICO never really sank in for me until I started reading about it here too. Incredible reality we live in when GB fuckin S helps people be healthier

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 14, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm under 200 lbs for the first time in loving forever, and I've lost about 35 lbs. from my heaviest.

And SA turning me on to CICO was a big part of that, so thanks, goons! In a week or two I'll be out of the "obese" bmi.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

PostNouveau posted:

I'm under 200 lbs for the first time in loving forever, and I've lost about 35 lbs. from my heaviest.

And SA turning me on to CICO was a big part of that, so thanks, goons! In a week or two I'll be out of the "obese" bmi.

When I look up CICO all I find is articles pish poshing it. Glad it worked for you though! Goes to show really.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

When I look up CICO all I find is articles pish poshing it. Glad it worked for you though! Goes to show really.

It's extremely simple, and that's what works for me. I can understand that micromanaging your various macros is appealing to some people, but for me it's just more ways to fail. This is one simple goal: Don't eat more than 1,500 calories a day.

It used to be when I failed, I would go "Well, gently caress it all. Time to go to town on some cheese fries. I'll start dieting next week."

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Never read an article about diet or exercise without googling a picture of the author

Megaraptor
Dec 10, 2004

Life, uh...finds a way

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Cool Ive detoxed myself from almost a month straight of induced meth overdoses and Im down to a pack a day and one iced tea just like I normally do. I had to smoke like 3 packs a day and drink like 4 teas to leech out the toxins with the natural plant analogs and balance the alkalinity.

not sure I know what you're saying here but it sounds like you got off meth and if so, whoa, good job that had to be hard

Why did the 'fave quotes from my 600lb life' thread get gassed? I miss it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megaraptor posted:

One of the mods didn't like it. I guess it was too much like helldumping?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Megaraptor posted:

Making fun of people who deny science while killing themselves and trying to kill others is just too mean, that's why it's also against the rules to mock anti-vaxxers.

Also, some very vocal people on this forum are hugely fat and don't want to acknowledge any responsibility for that, who knew.

(I lost twenty five pounds thanks to that thread and I'm just going to keep going, I'll miss reading about people literally eating nine pizzas a week while moaning that their bodies just can't burn calories because of ~genetics~ and that hot people should be obligated to find them attractive anyway to motivate me but whatever. I can go read the incel thread to see the exact same kind of mindset at work.)

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 14, 2018

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Yeah I just binged this thread after the other one got closed, and I'm really glad I did. Someone in here suggested cottage cheese with tomatoes and fresh basil, which I happen to be growing this year. It's incredible! I love plain cottage cheese as it is; someone in the other thread said to add black pepper, which is also good, but it's really something else with home-grown tomato and basil.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

that's because it's hard to push bs weight loss products for it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i was getting pissed off at what my scale was telling me so i switched it from lbs to kg

:downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nooneofconsequence posted:

that's because it's hard to push bs weight loss products for it

no way, you could sell a beautifully-packaged and pre-portioned CICO diet plan to any fool. getting them to actually stick to "ONLY EAT 1800 KCAL/DAY" is the hard part

but hey when they eat more you make more $$$$$$$$$

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Having this thread in my bookmarks is helping me stay on track. Thanks for existing, thread.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I was hungry as hell but hat to charge my car so I went out to lunch. Instead of the blackened salmon plate with sweet potatoes and stuff, I got myself to say "salad" after saying "blackened salmon," and the salad version was awesome and filling. I also had sangria but it's cool, I only had two crackers with mustard canned salmon for breakfast and I'm having my leftover stinky curry for dinner

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Ahaha, you're not kidding. One article even calls it the newest fad diet :doh:

I mean yeah, eating healthier is good, but even just eating less junk food will be good for anyone. CICO isn't a "diet", it's simply not over eating. Moving more optional, eating better food recommended, but not necessary to lose weight.

Count me in for missing the 600lbs thread :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I really found losing the 25 pounds I lost so incredibly easy by just doing CICO.

I didn't even enter my calories into myfitnesspal after the first two weeks or so. I probably should have anyway, but the weight was just coming off and I always ate the same stuff more or less so I did rough mental math and tried to stay just around 1500 calories per day. I also ALWAYS looked at labels and calorie counts at restaurants.

The new law in the US where fast food places must display their calorie counts right there on the menu helps SO much.

The biggest thing for me with CICO is that you are trying to eat stuff that is "worth it," as far as the calorie density. You really can eat pretty much whatever you want, but when you decide you can't go over whatever set number you have for yourself, you start to really decide for yourself what kind of food is really worth the calories to you.

Would you rather have a medium order of fries at Wendy's, or a bowl of Pho? Which is more satisfying and tastes better? Which will keep you full longer? Would you rather have two slices of pizza or a full meal with meat, vegetables, and some good bread on the side?

The hardest part is probably the "traps" that companies build in. Granola with 20+ grams of sugar for a 2/3 cup serving. You assume granola is always healthy, but some brands will have way less sugar and taste just as good. Especially snack foods you want to make sure that eating like 8 little pieces of some snack aren't going to be 200 calories. Ever since I started doing CICO I generally don't snack at all, and if I do it's "planned" as in "I can have .5 oz of almonds between meals," or "I will eat one gram cracker if I want and that's it."

Once you break the habit of random snacking or just going into the fridge and eating something you don't really want or need on a whim, it gets really easy to just not do it. A big part of that is not buying stuff that you would normally snack on. There is basically no reason to ever buy or have chips in your house, for instance. The only time I'd eat chips now is if I really decided it was worth it, and I'd eat it with guacamole as the main part of a meal or something. It'd be a cheat thing or I'd eat less somewhere else to make up for it. The idea of just randomly eating chips with salsa while watching TV is just such a waste of caloriesyou can eat so much more satisfying and better tasting stuff for those calories.

Some of the best stuff I've found since focusing on CICO is:

-Non-fat greek yogurt. One cup has 23 grams of protein. It's basically just pure protein with no downside at all. I eat a cup of it for breakfast with fresh blueberries and strawberries. Sometimes I'll put granola in it for texture. It also tastes good with cumin in it (though most people will think this is weird).

-Super lean meat. I usually get meat at Aldi, but they have tons of meats that have almost zero fat and are pure protein. Extra lean ground turkey is really good. I've been making Lentil Chili with it in the instant pot. I tried a version with a fattier meat last time and I actually preferred the taste of the the lean turkey version. I make a pot of chili in the instant pot and it's a super healthy and really good tasting meal for my wife and me that lasts two nights. You can get super lean chicken breast with almost zero fat as well. Just marinate with good spices etc. and it tastes really great. If you like sandwiches a lot, you can get deli cuts of turkey, then just make the sandwich with no mayo and put mustard on as the condiment.

-Actual whole wheat bread. This one is so much harder than it should be in the US, but bread that is 100%, non-enriched whole grain wheat is the good kind of carbs. It really fills you up and has a lot of fibre. You have to be incredibly vigilant with the labels though. There are a lot of stores that simply do not have this. All of their wheat options will be enriched wheat flour, which isn't actually whole wheat flour anymore. In Pennsylvania I have not been able to find a single loaf at Weiss which has real whole wheat flour. Giant has one single loaf, and Aldi has one or two. If you have time you could make the bread yourself I guess. I usually have a slice at breakfast and dinner with some jam on it. If I have to choose between rice and bread, I pretty much always prefer bread.

Once you find some staple stuff that you really like, it's very easy to have meals you can rotate in and out that are generally around 400-500 calories per meal. If you just cut out all the really lovely stuff and snacking, you can easily make room for some stuff that isn't just super lean/healthy and work it in where you want it. I really like good cheese, so having like half an ounce on a piece of bread is only going to be ~50 calories. If it's good cheese and you slice it thin, .5 ounce easily covers a slice of bread. Sometimes for lunch having a slice of bread with cheese, then the cup of yogurt with fruit is really satisfying. It will generally be under 400 calories even, so you have room to add in something else you like.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Internet says a whole medium sweet potato is only 100 calories, 160 for large. That's nuts. Has anyone marketed a "sweet potato a day" diet?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Internet says a whole medium sweet potato is only 100 calories, 160 for large. That's nuts. Has anyone marketed a "sweet potato a day" diet?

No, because it's not true. What most people would consider to be a large Sweet potato might be like 400 grams and 80-90 cals/100g raw, that would be 300-350 calories. By that a "medium" potato would be like 120 grams, which is like half a normal serving. The calorie density of sweet potato is similar to regular potato, it just has a nicer flavour and a slightly better range of micronutrients (maybe more fibre too I think?). It's a good carb source, but it's still pretty calorie dense

For a potato replacement with your meal that's ACTUALLY low calorie, swede is much better at 20-30/100g, I also sometimes use celeriac in place of the potato in what would otherwise be a potato salad or similar.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yeah you have to be double careful with Google's calorie poo poo. Ask it how many calories are in Doritos and it'll say some nice number for a large amount, but it's really telling you the amount of calories in a single (tiny) serving from a container that size.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yes

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Fatkraken posted:

No, because it's not true. What most people would consider to be a large Sweet potato might be like 400 grams and 80-90 cals/100g raw, that would be 300-350 calories. By that a "medium" potato would be like 120 grams, which is like half a normal serving. The calorie density of sweet potato is similar to regular potato, it just has a nicer flavour and a slightly better range of micronutrients (maybe more fibre too I think?). It's a good carb source, but it's still pretty calorie dense

For a potato replacement with your meal that's ACTUALLY low calorie, swede is much better at 20-30/100g, I also sometimes use celeriac in place of the potato in what would otherwise be a potato salad or similar.

Or cauliflower. Seasoning is the best. And roasting.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fatkraken posted:

where can I buy these swedes

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Hello friends in the weight loss thread, I am on vacation for a week out of state and it's a real big bitch trying to stay in ketosis in these conditions. The drat restaurant tried to sneak potatoes into my loving omelet

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

eat the potatoes

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

eat the potatoes

NO

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No food, let's walk after smoking some. Trying to find coupon for two for one.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
why arent more blind people fat? how much of overeating is eating with my eyez?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ten years ago I was 330 lb, I lost 70 lbs over a year and a half. Over college I gained and lost and ended up at about 285 this time last year.

I lost about 15 lbs just adding in gym, then in January I started keto. It works very well with me and I added in intermittent fasting to help the CICO side of things

I'm finally, for the first time in my adult life, out of the 'obese' bmi range. I'm only overweight. 232 lbs at 6'2". I'm shooting for 220 this year. Plan to lose the last 20 slowly over the next year.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Studies have shown people will actually eat less when blindfolded.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I just listen to Hungry Brain somebody mentioned earlier. It's information but kind of dry.

Any other other good audiobooks to listen on the food/brain/addiction subjects?

tino fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 16, 2018

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Check out this excellent book:

tino posted:

I just listen to Hungry Brain somebody mentioned earlier. It's information but kind of dry. Another other good audiobooks to listen on the food/brain/addiction subjects.

The idea that our hunter-gatherer brains can get addicted to modern frankenfood inventions with tons of refined starch, sugar and fat is very compelling. I guess if you can't see addictive substances around you, you won't be tempted as much.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My whole problem is I just snack too much, usually on healthier stuff too.

I cook 90% of meals from scratch. I have to because my wife has a bunch of weird food sensitivities. Shes gluten free and dairy free among other things. So nothing we cook is ever very cheesy or saucy. Meals are usually made up a small number of ingredients. Rarely anything processed or packaged.

But in a typical day Ill mix and match a Larabar, whole milk yogurt, prunes and other fruit, a turkey sandwich in a small soft corn tortilla (no cheese or mayo), hanfull of unsalted mixed nuts and dried fruit, a cup of usually vegetarian soup from work cafeteria. Finally something for dinner. Later on Ive been having a handful of chips and some olives.

This stuff makes up the vast majority of what I eat in a day. Most of it is pretty decent for you. I just eat TOO MUCH of it. Most of the time I come within a good range of my CICO, but its like if I lose focus for a minute and a bagel or a piece of pizza gets in there, it really kills my day. I need to leave myself more room for slip ups.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My whole problem is I just snack too much, usually on healthier stuff too.

I cook 90% of meals from scratch. I have to because my wife has a bunch of weird food sensitivities. Shes gluten free and dairy free among other things. So nothing we cook is ever very cheesy or saucy. Meals are usually made up a small number of ingredients. Rarely anything processed or packaged.

But in a typical day Ill mix and match a Larabar, whole milk yogurt, prunes and other fruit, a turkey sandwich in a small soft corn tortilla (no cheese or mayo), hanfull of unsalted mixed nuts and dried fruit, a cup of usually vegetarian soup from work cafeteria. Finally something for dinner. Later on Ive been having a handful of chips and some olives.

This stuff makes up the vast majority of what I eat in a day. Most of it is pretty decent for you. I just eat TOO MUCH of it. Most of the time I come within a good range of my CICO, but its like if I lose focus for a minute and a bagel or a piece of pizza gets in there, it really kills my day. I need to leave myself more room for slip ups.

Your snacks are mostly good stuff but really more suited to bulking up than losing weight. You can keep snacking and still lose weight if that's how you like to eat, I never gave up snacking when I was losing and currently eat about 7 times a day, but there are a TON of changes you can make with your precise food choices that will add up to several hundred calories a day of savings.

Drop or reduce your serving size on the dried fruit and nuts (they're good food but SUPER calorie dense), swap the whole milk yogurt for low fat, stick to FRESH fruit, especially berries and melon which tend to be very low in calories for the serving size (a POUND of strawberries is like 150 calories). Switch the chips and olives (also MEGA calorie dense and not that filling) for veg sticks and a healthy dip like Salsa or salsa mixed with 0% Greek yogurt of you want something creamy. Switch the 200 calorie Larabar for a similar product that comes in smaller packages, in the UK there are a bunch of similar pressed fruit and nut bars including Nakd, Go Ahead Goodness, and several own brand variants that typically come in smaller sizes of around 30 grams with about 100-120 calories.

Also increase your serving size on cruciferous veg (broccolli, cauliflower, kale etc) with your dinner so you get physically fuller and don't want to snack as often/heavily in the evenings.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Stop posting in this thread for sadsacks who just wanna be weak and skinny and start posting in the SWOLECEPTION thread which is about getting jacked and has been criminally quiet lately

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Hikers like to carry peanut/peanut butter because its the most calories intensive food.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Your snacks are mostly good stuff but really more suited to bulking up than losing weight. You can keep snacking and still lose weight if that's how you like to eat, I never gave up snacking when I was losing and currently eat about 7 times a day, but there are a TON of changes you can make with your precise food choices that will add up to several hundred calories a day of savings.

Drop or reduce your serving size on the dried fruit and nuts (they're good food but SUPER calorie dense), swap the whole milk yogurt for low fat, stick to FRESH fruit, especially berries and melon which tend to be very low in calories for the serving size (a POUND of strawberries is like 150 calories). Switch the chips and olives (also MEGA calorie dense and not that filling) for veg sticks and a healthy dip like Salsa or salsa mixed with 0% Greek yogurt of you want something creamy. Switch the 200 calorie Larabar for a similar product that comes in smaller packages, in the UK there are a bunch of similar pressed fruit and nut bars including Nakd, Go Ahead Goodness, and several own brand variants that typically come in smaller sizes of around 30 grams with about 100-120 calories.

Also increase your serving size on cruciferous veg (broccolli, cauliflower, kale etc) with your dinner so you get physically fuller and don't want to snack as often/heavily in the evenings.

Appreciate the feedback.

A lot of the types of food I eat is dictated by my wife's diet. I do the majority of the cooking, but usually don't bother with stuff she can't have. Don't get me wrong, her diet does force her to eat very healthy. Although oddly enough two things that have never bothered her are french fries and ANY kind of meat.

She can't have broccoli, cauliflower, or other fiberous veggies. Low fat yogurt is out too among other things. Larabars are one of the few prepackaged things she can eat. Will check out the ingredients of the bars you mentioned. She might be able to have them.

I think my best strategy is just going to be to sub out out a couple of my daily snacks with a cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Another good dinner:

Grilled tuna steak over mixed greens and sliced apple.

Rub some olive oil and add some salt and pepper to both side of the tuna steak and grill at medium high for 2 minutes per side (add another 30-60 seconds per side of you like your tuna more done). Slice the tuna and lay it on top of the mixed greens and veg whatever other veggies you like. Garnish with the sliced apple. Less than 400 calories.