Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I had a breeding group of leos in a 40 breeder, and the hide box was a large plastic shoebox filled with moss, kept damp, and with the heat lamp right over. It doubled as a egg lay site because every few months I'd find a new baby running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Max had outgrown his submarine hide and we finally got round to buying a new one. After spending a long time being very confused by it - trying to dig at it, bopping it with his face, and generally viewing it with what seemed like suspicion, he decided to try it out...

That isn't exactly hiding, dude. But whatever makes you happy.

Since then he has figured out how to reverse about an inch of his tail into it. In a way the confusion has made me think he's a bit smarter than I was giving credit for. On the other hand, hide in the hide you idiot axolotl.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Went to the pet store today to pick up some crickets and saw the most gorgeous chameleon. Lookit dem markings!

He wouldn't turn around so I tried to get a shot of his face from the side, but it didn't turn out so well because of the glass and the weird angle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That enclosure is far too small for an adult veiled. Also it annoys me to see the tropical look, even though it's probably all plastic plants anyway, since veileds come from riparian desert habitats.

That said, he is indeed a pretty fellow. Veileds are all cranky old bastards (even when they're young), they have the personality of a crotchety old man, which I kind of love.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Went to the pet store today to pick up some crickets and saw the most gorgeous chameleon. Lookit dem markings!

He wouldn't turn around so I tried to get a shot of his face from the side, but it didn't turn out so well because of the glass and the weird angle.

Poor guy. He ended up in a pet store and will probably be bought by someone who has no business keeping a chameleon.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Saw a black rat snake yesterday. The ones around here are real nice and never try to bite me.

Even when I have to hold them by injured areas to extract them from this bullshit:

I loving hate rabbit/deer netting.

Last but worst part of the tangle before I cut it away:

You can see the difference in coloration of the underside in front and behind where the netting's stuck, I assume from restricted circulation.

Let it go as soon as the netting was all off, figured it was stressed enough. Think it'll be alright?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fish Noise posted:

Saw a black rat snake yesterday. The ones around here are real nice and never try to bite me.

Even when I have to hold them by injured areas to extract them from this bullshit:

I loving hate rabbit/deer netting.

Last but worst part of the tangle before I cut it away:

You can see the difference in coloration of the underside in front and behind where the netting's stuck, I assume from restricted circulation.

Let it go as soon as the netting was all off, figured it was stressed enough. Think it'll be alright?

Snakes are incredibly resilient. As long as it wasnt paralyzed, it'll probably survive.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Princess may not like being photographed, but at least she appreciates the tertiary hide I gave her to protect her from the sun.

(African fat-tailed gecko under heat lamp)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
A friend of a friend's tegu managed to escape not just his housing but also their house and has been roaming the streets of St. Louis for the past week. He dropped in on a neighbor's BBQ, got some food, and wandered off. The neighbors know the tegu's owners but did not think to contact them :psyboom:

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 21, 2018

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Gobbeldygook posted:

A friend of a friend's tegu managed to escape not just his housing but also their house and his been roaming the streets of St. Louis for the past week. He dropped in on a neighbor's BBQ, got some food, and wandered off. The neighbors know the tegu's owners but did not think to contact them :psyboom:

What the actual gently caress.

What part of STL? I've got family up there, not that it would help greatly.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PathAsc posted:

What the actual gently caress.

What part of STL? I've got family up there, not that it would help greatly.
The neighbors said the tegu just wandering into their yard was a "little weird". South city, I forget the exact intersection but one of the nearest cross streets is grand.

If somebody hasn't caught him, he's probably doing fine. We've had highs in the 80-90s all week.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Speaking of escaped reptiles: a boa (BCC, I believe) escaped in southern finland a while ago, made into newspapers as its very rare happening here. It escaped again a bit later.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember the utter panic this past New Year's when our albino ball python female and her son escaped. They never got out of the living room but the panic was real for the week or so they were out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
My gf dumpy frog escaped in my room once. we were both panicking. we ended up finding him in my closet sleeping in a box full of medical boots.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Hey guys, I figured some of y'all would be better help than Google because Google is giving me nothing. I just moved to Sayreville, NJ and I'm looking for a local specialty herp shop to go to, preferably within 20 miles, but I'm willing to travel a bit for a really awesome store.

I'm looking to get a tomato frog. I already got the paludarium set up minus the filter for the water section. I'll be getting that today, and cycling it by pulling filter media out of an existing tank. I've also got setups for a couple different kinds of feeder critters, I just need to get the critters. Everything's ready to go; I just need the frog! And somewhere to help me feed my new obsession/ fill my house with frogs.

I've got an African Clawed Frog now, and he's delightful. He'll be benefitting from the little feeder colonies too, once I get them established.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Maybe look around Philadelphia? It's not THAT far from you, and for a special buy, it's probably worth the drive. Otherwise, I'd look into reptile shows that could connect you with a source.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Are tomato frogs still in the hobby? They weren't really captive bred and I don't think there are any more imports - could be mistaken.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

my cat is norris posted:

Maybe look around Philadelphia? It's not THAT far from you, and for a special buy, it's probably worth the drive. Otherwise, I'd look into reptile shows that could connect you with a source.

Probably a good call, yeah. It'd be a really good chance to see some of the early America stuff I want to see around Philly too. Could be a real nice weekend.

OneTwentySix posted:

Are tomato frogs still in the hobby? They weren't really captive bred and I don't think there are any more imports - could be mistaken.

I saw some captive bred ones online but they were in California, and it was like $40 shipping on a $30 frog. They're not super common but I was under the impression they were still around. They're really cute though... maybe I'll expand to a pair and be the source I want to see in the world. :3 Raising tadpoles sounds tough but that may be a fun future project. In any case, there's a local Petco I talked to that might be able to get one in for me; their gal will get back to me within the next week to see if she can actually do that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OneTwentySix posted:

the herp show around me has them all the time. I got one and it was happy until it had seizure and died after two years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Axqu posted:

Hey guys, I figured some of y'all would be better help than Google because Google is giving me nothing. I just moved to Sayreville, NJ and I'm looking for a local specialty herp shop to go to, preferably within 20 miles, but I'm willing to travel a bit for a really awesome store.

I'm looking to get a tomato frog. I already got the paludarium set up minus the filter for the water section. I'll be getting that today, and cycling it by pulling filter media out of an existing tank. I've also got setups for a couple different kinds of feeder critters, I just need to get the critters. Everything's ready to go; I just need the frog! And somewhere to help me feed my new obsession/ fill my house with frogs.

I've got an African Clawed Frog now, and he's delightful. He'll be benefitting from the little feeder colonies too, once I get them established.

yeah, Hamburg reptile show usually has them.

http://hamburgreptileshow.com/

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Help me, herp thread! Tell me if this sounds like normal beardie behavior or if I should get him checked out (happily, there's an exceptionally good avian/exotic pet vet in my city).

Little bit of background that may or may not be helpful:
I'm in NC. It's just another ridiculously hot and humid summer, the usual. Elmore is probably about 18 months old, give or take. I have no idea if this makes him a juvenile beardie or a full-grown adult.

The problem:
He's not been eating regularly lately. He's still excreting on the occasion that he does eat, so I don't think he's impacted. He'll chase crickets when I put them in the tank. But greens, fruits, dragon pellets...? Nada. Well, almost nada anyway. I put fresh stuff in for him every day and at least two days out of three when I come home from work, it doesn't look like he's touched it. I even make it a point to put some of his favorite things in the dish just to tempt him

He's pretty lazy when he's not chasing crickets, but he does run around and explore when I take him out of the tank. So my question is, is the not-eating thing normal for a not-baby beardie? I know it's more common in the winter -- he tends to brumate anyway. As far as my thermometers and hygrometers in the tank go, his environment seems to be where it should be.

I should probably also mention that he definitely doesn't look like he's starving. He's a good size and not emaciated. My biggest concern is whether he's getting enough nutrients or not.

The little monster in question. I took this a few nights ago when I was holding him while he went to sleep.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What are the temps like? is he pooping okay? Are the crickets gut loaded?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

What are the temps like? is he pooping okay? Are the crickets gut loaded?

Temp on the cool side of the tank is 80-90ish, temp on the warm side is around 100. The humidity is a little on the high side, but again, NC summer: I'm not sure how to combat that.Tank is on an interior wall away from direct sunlight.

He poops when he's eaten something, but otherwise no. And yes to the crickets being gut-loaded.

So... maybe impaction?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's possible. Does he get any other protein? Is he chilling under the 100 degree area to bask?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

His favorite spot is on a climbing branch on the cooler side of the tank under the UVB lamps, but that may be because it's a little drier on that side. For some reason the basking side is a bit higher humidity-wise, and I can't figure out why. It's not near any vents or sources of water, and I don't keep water in the tank. I'm open to suggestions on how to remedy this.

When I got home from work tonight I soaked him in a warm bath for a bit, and I'm happy to report he was super-active. He's not a huge fan of soaking so he fought me, but I was able to get him to chill out enough to soak for ten minutes or so. He can only tolerate it for so long before he gets agitated. When I put him back in his tank he did get on his basking rock, probably to warm up. I always dry him off after a soak but I know he gets cold anyway. Afterwards I gave him some live mealworms and some canned crickets (don't have any live ones at the moment). These are the Fluker's ones that are still moist, not the dry ones that you see in jars. He didn't go for the live prey but he did eat the crickets, so, progress maybe?

I never thought I'd be hoping to wake up in the morning to find a big fat lizard poo in the tank, but here we are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind an adult herp generally eats less than a growing juvenile.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I asked my wife to take care of our fat tailed geckos as I cleaned out their enclosures today. Not long after, I found this little guy peeking out from the very warm spot behind my wife on the couch. So cute!

Apparently he crawled all over her and was happy to laze where he felt warmest.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
Hi friends. I am a first-time lizard owner, having recently rehomed a couple adult beardies from a friend who wanted to downsize a ridiculous pet menagerie.

They came with a 18X36 Vivarium which was a little sparse. After a lot of reading I decided to go with a nice textured tile for substrate as it was the only one that seemed universally well-regarded and indeed it cleans easy, retains heat, and I'm told most importantly prevents impaction of particulates in their little lizard tummies. Payday I'm going to get some good size landscaping rock tiles to create a bit more of a Z-axis for them to climb and play on and a hide for the basking side of their enclosure in case they want to dwell in a cavern.

I have been feeding them dried mealworms and mixed greens and/or veg once a day, with live dusted crickets as a weekly feeding. They seem reasonably healthy and are amenable to handling (though don't ask my why my son is holding and looking at his like a hoagie he's about to take a bite out of.)

I am doing a lot of catch up reading and research trying to be a good lizard dad to Nicol Bolas and Lady Onyxia, and they are good animals. Welp that's my lizard post thanks for reading.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 21, 2018

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
They're lovely! That's 3d12 of cuteness right there.

Vicky finally had a shed today, which also meant cleaning her tank and water bowl (which she uses as a toilet on occasion). File photo of a happy snake during night mode:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation

Adorable scaleghetti.

It's normal to do this kind of thing as a new lizard dad and I'll eventually get it out of my system, right?

E: What's the best way to add some background texture appeal and dimensionality with ledges and stuff to my viv without breaking the bank? I've seen some interesting things done with spray insulation fill foam.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 22, 2018

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

They came with a 18X36 Vivarium which was a little sparse. After a lot of reading I decided to go with a nice textured tile for substrate as it was the only one that seemed universally well-regarded and indeed it cleans easy, retains heat, and I'm told most importantly prevents impaction of particulates in their little lizard tummies. Payday I'm going to get some good size landscaping rock tiles to create a bit more of a Z-axis for them to climb and play on and a hide for the basking side of their enclosure in case they want to dwell in a cavern.

Those are quite awesome beardies indeed!

What sort of tile did you use? Just regular paving stone type dealies from a hardware store?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Adorable scaleghetti.

It's normal to do this kind of thing as a new lizard dad and I'll eventually get it out of my system, right?

E: What's the best way to add some background texture appeal and dimensionality with ledges and stuff to my viv without breaking the bank? I've seen some interesting things done with spray insulation fill foam.

There are a ton of web tutorials and YouTube vids showing people making backdrops/elevation at all levels of complexity and effort out of spray insulation and/or styrofoam. Exo Terra also sells relatively cheap (<$20-30 depending on size) premade foam background panels on Amazon with different environmental features/colors/textures that are meant to be easily modified/combined and there are guides out there for turning those into showier pieces as well. Also ZooMed makes some cork tiles that may be better if your beardie is the sort to tear up styrofoam.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 23, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What sort of tile did you use? Just regular paving stone type dealies from a hardware store?

That's what was recommended on the herp boards I found. I assume there's no special "vivarium substrate tile" and if there were it would just be the hardware store stuff rebranded and marked up 50%

I was able to get 2 18x18" tiles for like 8 bucks, they look great, the beardies seemed to much prefer it to the temporary newspaper situation and cruised around happily on it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There are a ton of web tutorials and YouTube vids showing people making backdrops/elevation at all levels of complexity and effort out of spray insulation and/or styrofoam. Exo Terra also sells relatively cheap (<$20-30 depending on size) premade foam background panels on Amazon with different environmental features/colors/textures that are meant to be easily modified/combined and there are guides out there for turning those into showier pieces as well. Also ZooMed makes some cork tiles that may be better if your beardie is the sort to tear up styrofoam.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post pics as I build lizard groverhaus.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Added some dimensionality to the enclosure with a little climby guy they are taking right to.

I'm not above bribing them to get them to explore the new piece of lizard furniture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-ZkbKUtkc

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Owlbear Camus posted:

Added some dimensionality to the enclosure with a little climby guy they are taking right to.

I'm not above bribing them to get them to explore the new piece of lizard furniture:

Goddamn shoulder dragons are the best

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

So hungry! And I dig the highly interested tabby in the background.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation

Artsygrrl posted:

So hungry! And I dig the highly interested tabby in the background.

One of my thoughts when I agreed to adopt them is I didn't want another cat, let alone a dog, to take care of given my lifestyle of commuting and doing the 9-5 grind... but I was also getting the impression Mewgene Debs was lonely and bored during the day while I was away.

So I figure they are a good way to keep her mentally stimulated; I put her perch right next to the enclosure to watch "lizard TV." And for their part they seem happy as long as the heat lamp is turned on every day and they get some food and a clean enclosure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

One of my thoughts when I agreed to adopt them is I didn't want another cat, let alone a dog, to take care of given my lifestyle of commuting and doing the 9-5 grind... but I was also getting the impression Mewgene Debs was lonely and bored during the day while I was away.

So I figure they are a good way to keep her mentally stimulated; I put her perch right next to the enclosure to watch "lizard TV." And for their part they seem happy as long as the heat lamp is turned on every day and they get some food and a clean enclosure.

Careful. A cat will happily eat a lizard if given the chance.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Careful. A cat will happily eat a lizard if given the chance.

When the lizards get yard time I carefully monitor the interactions, because yeah she gets bitey around tails in particular. I don't think she's clever enough to get into the lidded terrarium when they're locked away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Back when I had cats and my snake the only real concern was that the obese cat really enjoyed sleeping on the mesh next to the heat lamp. Had to replace it a couple times to keep her from caving it in.