Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I never watched Metalocalypse, can you explain this a little? From wikipedia it looks like an 47-minute special (set to music?) so... give it an hour block once in a while? Chop it into two or four pieces and put in a quick intro and outro animation where the cast is gathering to watch it on TV or something? I don't understand how this is such a gamestopper. Like maybe someone's coming in every now and then having not seen the previous episode, but like the guy above me said, that's not even close to the oddest thing you'd see on Adult Swim.

The Doomstar Requiem is a 47 minute non-stop rock opera. Almost every line in it is sung, there is no breaks in the music or singing so it would be pretty hard to chop into chunks small enough or big enough for the 11 minute/ 25+ minute time blocks that the Adult Swim channel programming is built around. Normally it is the show runners/show creators job to do that, Brendon Small just delivered a single 47 minute episode and walked away.

Not to mention that Adult Swim also needs to broadcast all the ads + commercials that Adult Swim is legally contracted to air at specific times/dates aka the boring stuff that keeps Adult Swim financially solvent.

So Adult Swim was out of whatever money it paid Brendon Small to create the 5th season of Metalocalypse, instead of multiple episodes Brendon Small delivered a single 47 minute episode, the one 47 minute episode was near impossible to cut into standard Adult Swim programming chunks, one episode cannot be aired repeatedly as new content over the x amount of weeks Adult Swim had already scheduled for the Metalocalypse show, Adult Swim was unable to air the ads + commercials it had already pre-sold to be broadcast around the 5th season of Metalocalypse(and had to pay that money back), and probably most enraging at the time, Small wanted more money + a new contract to deliver the Metalocalypse series ending that he had already been paid to make and failed to do so. Small's kickstarter + PR campaign, and Small complaining about licensing rights for his band seemed to burn whatever remaining goodwill Adult Swim had left.

tldr: Brendon Small hosed himself himself over by buying into his own hype just like Dethklok always did in Metalocalypse. Very very meta.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm picturing the exchanges going something like this

adult swim: alright brendon here's the money for metalacoplyse season 5

brendon small: awesome

*months later*

adult swim: hey how is season 5 going?

brendon: season 5? i thought you said rock opera

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
When are we getting the Venture Bros rock opera.

Also was that rap song at the start of season 6 ever released? I can't remember much about the lyrics except it had "Go team Venture!" as one of them

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hedrigall posted:

When are we getting the Venture Bros rock opera.

Also was that rap song at the start of season 6 ever released? I can't remember much about the lyrics except it had "Go team Venture!" as one of them

The ‘Rusty’s Back on Top’ song?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The Doomstar Requiem is a 47 minute non-stop rock opera. Almost every line in it is sung, there is no breaks in the music or singing so it would be pretty hard to chop into chunks small enough or big enough for the 11 minute/ 25+ minute time blocks that the Adult Swim channel programming is built around. Normally it is the show runners/show creators job to do that, Brendon Small just delivered a single 47 minute episode and walked away.

Not to mention that Adult Swim also needs to broadcast all the ads + commercials that Adult Swim is legally contracted to air at specific times/dates aka the boring stuff that keeps Adult Swim financially solvent.

So Adult Swim was out of whatever money it paid Brendon Small to create the 5th season of Metalocalypse, instead of multiple episodes Brendon Small delivered a single 47 minute episode, the one 47 minute episode was near impossible to cut into standard Adult Swim programming chunks, one episode cannot be aired repeatedly as new content over the x amount of weeks Adult Swim had already scheduled for the Metalocalypse show, Adult Swim was unable to air the ads + commercials it had already pre-sold to be broadcast around the 5th season of Metalocalypse(and had to pay that money back), and probably most enraging at the time, Small wanted more money + a new contract to deliver the Metalocalypse series ending that he had already been paid to make and failed to do so. Small's kickstarter + PR campaign, and Small complaining about licensing rights for his band seemed to burn whatever remaining goodwill Adult Swim had left.

tldr: Brendon Small hosed himself himself over by buying into his own hype just like Dethklok always did in Metalocalypse. Very very meta.

It's been a while, but unless I am grossly misremembering, there are more than a few breaks that could be used to place commercials. I mean, after all, the album for the thing isn't just a single 47 minute long track.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
Since this is now an Adult Swim thread, if you haven't heard they are doing a one-off Harvey Birdman revival! Sounds like it's an American politics a la Trump analogue.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbkae4/harvey-birdman-adult-swim-attorney-general-stephen-colbert-vgtrn

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TK-42-1 posted:

The ‘Rusty’s Back on Top’ song?

https://youtu.be/bYoI5mfR1-Y

Yeah this one.

Listening to it now I realise it probably wasn't a song they commissioned for the soundtrack because that's clearly Doc Hammer rapping. I thought maybe there'd be a 3 minute version out somewhere :kiddo:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arm_Fruit posted:

Since this is now an Adult Swim thread

Making my way through Archer, just caught the "Space Race" two-parter at the end of S3 and it's a pretty much a high-budget remake of Sealab with Bryan Cranston instead of Harry Goz and I feel like I'm in a nice warm hot tub

Security breach in ... Pod Six :allears:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Data Graham posted:

Making my way through Archer, just caught the "Space Race" two-parter at the end of S3 and it's a pretty much a high-budget remake of Sealab with Bryan Cranston instead of Harry Goz and I feel like I'm in a nice warm hot tub

Oh just you wait until the season 4 finale two-parter.

Sea Tunt

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Watching with girlfriend update: she really enjoyed episodes 5 and 6. I believe we've made it over the hump of really rough stuff. Pretty excited for her to see the seasons 1 finale

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Data Graham posted:

Isn't Captain Not Murphy Jon Hamm?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A bit spoilery, but a later episode of Archer pretty much has Sealab in everything but name.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, that AS defense about the Metalocalypse rock opera doesn't make any sense. I've seen musicals on TV. They could absolutely air it as an hour block and throw in commercials if they wanted to.

I mean, maybe they were pissed that they got an hour long episode, and that's not something they usually do, but who gives a poo poo? It's a great episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can see it from the angle of them having planned out a number of weeks to air the show and the ads they will show during it. Then they get something unexpected that they would have to screw up their entire schedule for one night and then have nothing for the next several weeks.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Cojawfee posted:

I can see it from the angle of them having planned out a number of weeks to air the show and the ads they will show during it. Then they get something unexpected that they would have to screw up their entire schedule for one night and then have nothing for the next several weeks.

Yeah, maybe I misread it. I thought the complaint was that they could never air it because of its length, not that they could air it and then were hosed for the next few weeks. I can see that being a dick move for sure.

But still, ultimately, we got a cool rock opera out of it.

General Adult Swim poo poo Relate to Stuff on the Last Couple Pages:

Metalocalypse didn't quite click for me until around the second season, so I don't think the extended length in season 3 hurt it too much. I enjoyed the 11 minute and 21 minute episodes.

China, IL is kind of the same. Season 3 was the weakest, but I thought season 2 was the strongest, so I don't think the episode length is what brought it down. Season 3 is still funny though.

I remember randomly buying season 1 of Frisky Dingo and being blown away. That show moves like a freight train.

The Venture Bros. is one of my favourite shows, but I usually just forget it exists during the years between seasons. It's funny that I have friends I know from high school, that I haven't seen in over a decade, and we all still message each other when a new Venture Brothers season is coming out.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Is there anywhere that substantiates all of that? I thought Doomstar Requiem was it's own thing AS wanted and paid for and then they'd pay for a season 5. If it's true then that sucks he was being greedy then

And yeah as far as I understand Galaktikon is Dethklok just add outer space

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Remember that blocking out an hour for Doomstar cuts out 4 of adults swims timeslots, not just 2, so it also jacks up their other serialized shows.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

They were happy enough to replace Samurai Jack with Rick and Morty that one time. If they can still fit in the adverts, why worry?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Obviously chopping up the doomstar requiem is simple, which is what it's been done and we see reruns of party around the world all the time.

I can't find an actual article (only thing I have is Small in 2016 saying AS turned them down because the fans irritated them) that says that AS didn't want to waste time/money on another opera they couldn't use. I think it was a goon that works at adult swim here in a thread years ago that said it when it was a current thing.

Speaking of, we used to have the guy in here that was some sort of a VB producer and always talked about grumpy rusty when he's not the center of attention.

e: don't get me wrong, I really like metalocalypse a lot. Sucks it turned out the way it did. I really like the doomklok requiem as well.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 16, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trying to describe why Metalocalypse is good doesn’t really work, you kinda just gotta sit someone down with S1 and just grind it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LashLightning posted:

They were happy enough to replace Samurai Jack with Rick and Morty that one time. If they can still fit in the adverts, why worry?

Because someone who buys ads before or after ATHF might not want to advertise around Metalocalypse. And someone who bought several weeks of ads during Metalocalypse might not want to have their ads instead be during that dumb Tom Goes to the Mayor thing or whatever. I don't know if any of these shows were on at the same time, I only watched a few adult swim shows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does the Halloween special fit inside What Color is your Cleansuit or are they concurrent? I can tell that it happens somewhere between the start of What Color Is Your Cleansuit and the 15 minute mark where Dean is talking to that girl. If I had to guess, I'd assume it starts taking place after Dean burns his bed and ends the night before Dean talks to the girl in the kitchen.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There was actually a bump that explained it and you would be correct it happens before he talks to the girl.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no because the characters have no motivation outside of loving each other over and also its only 2 seasons long

If you didn't think "we have a whole hour" (or whatever the time was) after that neckbomb went off was hilarious, comedy might not be for you.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
:siren: New Footage! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imas8bdkcDQ

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hell yea!
I can't wait.

Also, I realized I ordered the venture book 2 times, more than a year apart. Do we have any update on this? Last I read in here, was July 18 changed to July 30 release? Also, the order from 2017 was 4$ less, think that price is still good?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Amazon honors the lowest price the item was after you ordered it. So if you order something for 50 dollars and at some point it drops to 40 dollars, then goes back up to 45 dollars, you pay 40 dollars when it is released.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My god I forgot Colonel Gentleman is obsessed with a puppet/not puppet cat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Hell yea!
I can't wait.

Also, I realized I ordered the venture book 2 times, more than a year apart. Do we have any update on this? Last I read in here, was July 18 changed to July 30 release? Also, the order from 2017 was 4$ less, think that price is still good?

I did a pre-order or something way back when this was initially announced (I think the year was 1987). But, when I looked at my "open orders" last week, that years-old one was gone. It might have been cancelled at some point, who knows. But, I did see that I'd ordered it twice, this time a month a part, which was weird. So, I cancelled one of those, as they were for the same price.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is that a different VA for Sirena?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is that a different VA for Sirena?

It sounded like it, but it could be just a new take on the voice. Sirena's voice actress is Cristin Milioti, and having just watched Season 6 all over again, it almost feels like she was doing her best Dr. Mrs. the Monarch impression for Sirena.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

:siren: New Footage! :siren:
Did we even get a trailer? We didn't, right?

I love that Sirena is calling Hank a nice boy just before the reveal that he's doing something not very nice and acting like a bit of a stalker.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sockser posted:

It’s me

I am the guy who liked 12 oz Mouse

Why

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

X_Toad posted:

I love that Sirena is calling Hank a nice boy just before the reveal that he's doing something not very nice and acting like a bit of a stalker.

He was doing nothing :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am curious what Brock was doing with the tent.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am curious what Brock was doing with the tent.

Nothing.

Seriously, we've been over this!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Because, my friend, I hate myself

a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjvwQKhcidw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What the hell. Hulu doesn't have the All This and Gargantua 2 epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's a good question. I always felt like that show was some kind of practical joke to see what could get greenlit at AS with the least effort. Even for AS shows it's, uh, something.