Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He was pretty awesome in Shutter Island as a cop. I think he could pull it off pretty well.

He's got the hair for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ferrule posted:

Last year Cap was secretly a member of Hydra (so, a nazi) and it pissed lots of people off. He took over the country and imposed facist rule and then like all things turns out he wasn't the real cap and everything is back to status quo.

It sadly was an arc already written before things went tits-up in the real world and it was serridipidous.

It's been that way since his re-boot in the 60's.

he was the real cap. they both were. that was the point of the "real" cap being in the cube. she rewrote reality but some of consequences scared her so she brought some stuff into her. the nazi cap kills her bff redskull instantly thats why he was in her and cap was in her because they probably had the end planned but nothing in the middle. the middle is also terrible.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Does Mark Ruffalo have a glass eye, though? I feel like that's a significant part of the character.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bony tony posted:

Does Mark Ruffalo have a glass eye, though? I feel like that's a significant part of the character.

If not, it's time for some proper method acting, baby!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mark Ruffalo even had nearly all non-Hulk screentime in Infinity War, though. Even if he did embarrass Tony in front of the wizards.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I don't care what they do with him, I just want to see more ruffalo forever. He's really made both of his marvel roles his own.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I love about the Melissa McCarthy movie Spy is that while she is often underestimated by her colleagues she is actually an incredibly competent agent, from being able to talk her agent through a mission, successfully, while literally blind, to inventing an entire new cover just by noticing her surroundings and figuring out the main villainess's personality seconds after her initial cover is blown, while staring down the barrel of her gun. Certainly she goes beyond the bounds of her mission, but no one except for a comedic idiot character thinks she's going to make a mess of things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She also kicks rear end when she has to fight.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aphrodite posted:

She also kicks rear end when she has to fight.

I love the reaction from her boss when she pulls up her old training footage:

quote:

What the gently caress!? This is incredible! I almost put this up on youtube! How are you not in the field?!

Also a neat thing is that in most of these kind of movies the real lead henchmen tends to haze the "new guy", thinking he's weak. McCarthy's first thing as the new security detail is to bully the lead henchman into giving her his jacket. She exerts all the dominance.

McCarthy is generally great in most stuff form Paul Feig because he knows how to write for her without making her weight the joke. Officer Mullins in The Heat, and her character in Bridesmaids are both equally unhinged yet very very good at their jobs and are even good friends when push comes to shove. My favourite scene in Bridemaids is "Fight for your lovely life!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7WTzrCcwMI

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Jul 14, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

McCarthy is generally great in most stuff form Paul Feig because he knows how to write for her without making her weight the joke. Officer Mullins in The Heat, and her character in Bridesmaids are both equally unhinged yet very very good at their jobs and are even good friends when push comes to shove. My favourite scene in Bridemaids is "Fight for your lovely life!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7WTzrCcwMI

Ironically she's terrible in her own stuff. Tammy and her most recent film are just messes. She's great when she's taking direction from others, not so good when she or her husband are in charge.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ironically she's terrible in her own stuff. Tammy and her most recent film are just messes. She's great when she's taking direction from others, not so good when she or her husband are in charge.

You call tell she comes from a sketch background, her characters and premises are funny for about 20 minutes and then her movies become tiresome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Her own stuff always seems to make her an awful, unlikeable person you don’t care to see succeed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

speaking of Marvel and Nazis, if the Fox deal goes through I really want a Magneto vs Red Skull matchup ala Secret Wars in a future movie. Though that wasn't a matchup so much as Magneto terrorizing the gently caress out of a Nazi.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only if Magneto has an 8 way airdash

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He was pretty awesome in Shutter Island as a cop. I think he could pull it off pretty well.

Have you seen Zodiac? It's streaming on Prime.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

speaking of Marvel and Nazis, if the Fox deal goes through I really want a Magneto vs Red Skull matchup ala Secret Wars in a future movie. Though that wasn't a matchup so much as Magneto terrorizing the gently caress out of a Nazi.

Nah, if you’re doing Eric and Skull, it needs to end with this:

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I love about the Melissa McCarthy movie Spy is that while she is often underestimated by her colleagues she is actually an incredibly competent agent, from being able to talk her agent through a mission, successfully, while literally blind, to inventing an entire new cover just by noticing her surroundings and figuring out the main villainess's personality seconds after her initial cover is blown, while staring down the barrel of her gun. Certainly she goes beyond the bounds of her mission, but no one except for a comedic idiot character thinks she's going to make a mess of things.

That's also one of the things I like about Brooklyn 99. Andy Samberg's character is actually a good detective. In both cases, it makes the characters a lot more likeable by allowing you to laugh at their antics without that underlying current of wondering how the hell they managed to get and keep their jobs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Office had the same thing too.

Michael is a terrible boss, but an incredible salesman.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They basically already did that in a alternate universe story where Cap was revived in the 60s where another person had taken up the Captain America mantle and was basically leading America into a fascist state, and the original Cap beat the poo poo out of the imposter and gave that famous speech about how America's ideals are the only thing that gives the country and flag meaning, otherwise it's just another empire.

aw jeez ive got bad news for cap

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Aphrodite posted:

The Office had the same thing too.

Michael is a terrible boss, but an incredible salesman.

dwight was supposed to be a great salesman too but since they never showed it i never bought it. guess you could say he didn't sell me on his salemanship

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did it once.

When he and Jim go on that sales call, and first thing Dwight does is ask to borrow the guy's phone. It's framed as if Dwight is being regular weird Dwight, but at the end he picks it up and it's still on hold with Staples or whoever they're trying to take the client from.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just got around to watching Coneheads on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised - it's an interesting movie, because it's not so much an alien invasion movie as a story of a family of illegal immigrants trying to carve out a life for themselves, being persecuted by the government even as the civilians quickly grow to like and trust them. Also the ending was pretty good and surprising too, didn't expect to see so much of the Conehead homeworld.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

I just got around to watching Coneheads on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised - it's an interesting movie, because it's not so much an alien invasion movie as a story of a family of illegal immigrants trying to carve out a life for themselves, being persecuted by the government even as the civilians quickly grow to like and trust them. Also the ending was pretty good and surprising too, didn't expect to see so much of the Conehead homeworld.

I'm scared that you're stuck in some kinda time vortex where in you can only consume media that is 20-30 years old.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw Coneheads in the theatre. I liked it for its wholesome depiction of the Conehead family.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm scared that you're stuck in some kinda time vortex where in you can only consume media that is 20-30 years old.

I just never got around to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inzombiac posted:

More like 40, wasn't Coneheads originally an SNL sketch series?

Content: Game of Thrones had a nice bit of foreshadowing that was quite subtle depending on how much Celtic myth you know. Bran means "raven".

(Which in turn makes The Crow kind of weird, because it's an abbreviation of Brandon.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

More like 40, wasn't Coneheads originally an SNL sketch series?

An SNL sketch series from like 30 years ago yes

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

An SNL sketch series from like 30 years ago yes
It premiered in 1977. :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

It premiered in 1977. :psyduck:

Huh, apparently so, but the movie is from 1993 and he made it sound like SNL was only a thing 40 years ago

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A conehead appeared in Cyndi Lauper's Girl's Just Want To Have Fun music video and that's ancient history as far as kids today are concerned.

They even had an animated show in 1983, a full decade before the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvgc8-nRlM

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Coneheads is a prime example of a skit that's outrageously funny for 2 minute intervals, maybe 3 times a season and really bad for any longer length of time.

I'm trying to think of a Saturday Night Live skit that you could watch 90 minutes of and all I'm getting is Waynes' World. The Blues Brothers was another. But Wayne's World still wins on the strength of a decent sequel don't watch the Blue Brothers 2000

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Ladies Man was made into a watchable movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McGruber is watchable too, but has little resemblance to the actual sketch.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Clearly you guys are forgetting the best of them all.

Sixty thousand dollars at the box office, Jesus Christ.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nth Doctor posted:

I saw it playing on cable once and have to assume it was so cheap to buy that it was impossible for them to not turn a profit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Wikipedia article says it opened in only 3 cities, but I'm pretty sure it only played in Alabama. So considering the content matter and the state it played, It's Pat may have actually over-performed.

Talk about a year of highs and lows for the main actress.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Wikipedia article says it opened in only 3 cities, but I'm pretty sure it only played in Alabama. So considering the content matter and the state it played, It's Pat may have actually over-performed.

Talk about a year of highs and lows for the main actress.

Charlie Sheen was in Platoon and The Wraith same year. Highs and lows indeed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nth Doctor posted:

Tarantino's finest movie right here.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s Pat is genuinely the worst movie I’ve ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Coneheads is a prime example of a skit that's outrageously funny for 2 minute intervals, maybe 3 times a season and really bad for any longer length of time.

I'm trying to think of a Saturday Night Live skit that you could watch 90 minutes of and all I'm getting is Waynes' World. The Blues Brothers was another. But Wayne's World still wins on the strength of a decent sequel don't watch the Blue Brothers 2000

Listen to the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack because it's genuinely good.